No way. (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 07:03 (3332 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Friday, August 14, 2015, 07:12

[image]

Sorry to spam the forum with this unneeded information.

No way.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, August 14, 2015, 07:18 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

Oh neat, now I'll finally have one.

PS, he's down in the Hunters Lounge.

Aww, man!

by R41, Friday, August 14, 2015, 07:32 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I just got mine form this weeks nightfall, now everyone's gonna have one!

Psh

by ChaosSociety, Oregon, Friday, August 14, 2015, 07:40 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

Who would waste an exotic slot on some rocket launcher?

Light Beyond Nemesis <3

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 08:21 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Glove engrams!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 08:37 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's been a long time since he sold Sunbreakers, so now is everybody's chance to get them. Definitely save your strange coins on the rest. Don't waste your exotic slot on a heavy. Wait until he sells that sniper that you can use as a primary.

Awful advice.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 08:51 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

Insurmountable Skullfort is second only to the Stand Asides in Titan exotics that really change the game.

No, you're wrong.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 09:02 (3332 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Ever wonder why you keep dying before you finish your fist of havoc? It's because you're not wearing Eternal Warrior. Strange coins are very rare and hard to come by. Save them for the best looking and most useful titan exotic, Eternal Warrior.

100% correct.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 09:09 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

I can't believe I forgot about the best helmet in the game. It also makes you look super cool.

23 SKADOO!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 09:26 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Disappointing

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, August 14, 2015, 09:46 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

JK! Yay for G-Horn! My Xbox exotic collection is complete!!!!!

Way.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 14, 2015, 09:53 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

Sorry to spam the forum with this unneeded information.

On the one hand, I'm sort of disappointed-- I liked the idea of there being some guns that Xur would never sell, even if it meant I never had one.

On the other hand, I suppose the beginning of the process of nerfing the gun is giving it away. Now everyone will now what they have been missing, and will be missing again!

Just bought four of them.

Yep.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:18 (3332 days ago) @ narcogen

It's the beginning of the nerf. Gjallerhorn just lost one of its signature perks--exclusivity.

Who wants to run a bunch of bounties on the PS4?

Yep.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:22 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

It's the beginning of the nerf. Gjallerhorn just lost one of its signature perks--exclusivity.

How are we going to discriminate on LFG sites now?

There are those who said this day would never come...

by Dan de Board @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:25 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Dan de Board, Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:29

... What are they to say now?

;)

Mythoclast or you're out.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:25 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

How are we going to discriminate on LFG sites now?

Yep.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:47 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't want mine now...everyone else has one. Passé.

CC

Heh.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 10:52 (3332 days ago) @ R41

I got mine from a Hard VoG Raid last week. Still way cooler than buying it, though.

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:05 (3332 days ago) @ ChaosSociety

- No text -

that was my exact reasoning the first time...

by Durandal, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:12 (3332 days ago) @ unoudid

So naive...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:15 (3332 days ago) @ Dan de Board

My favorite comment in the Xur thread on reddit:

Zavala: Smell that? You smell that?

Ikora: What?

Zavala: Wolfpacks, girl. Nothing else in this star system smells like that. [kneels]

Zavala: I love the smell of wolfpacks in the morning. You know, one time we had the Hellmouth bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' hive body. The smell, you know that solar burn smell, the whole Hellmouth. Smelled like... [sniffing, pondering]

Zavala: ...victory. Someday this war's gonna end... [suddenly walks off]

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:15 (3332 days ago) @ Dan de Board

C'MON MOTHERFUCKERS, C'MON

(Mod edit: Keep it family-friendly, Paddy…)

Heh.

by R41, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:21 (3332 days ago) @ cheapLEY

True, I kinda feel like I've 'earned' it. And at least we didn't have to fork out 23 strange coins.

Sweet release.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:24 (3332 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

More like Triumphs Emblem or you're out.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:27 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

No way.

by Bigarm41, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:31 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

Gjallarhorn trending on Twitter, and there is much rejoicing in the Xur Megathread on the Destiny subreddit. The icon there has even been changed to a Gally. I'm a bit bummed about the upcoming nerf, but watching the internet lose its collective mind is fun.

I just got my Gjallarhorn last week from the Nightfall...I should have known something was up. :)

FIFTY. FIVE. DOLLARYDOOS?!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:33 (3332 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

I Literally Broke Down In Tears.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:36 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I checked my Xur app and knew it was a mistake. Then I checked my OTHER Xur app and it said the same thing...

I dropped everything I was doing and immediately deleted three heavy weapons, then when I got to Xur, I could only gasp. I was absolutely overwhelmed.

I bought three right off the spot, and just sat there crying for at least 5 minutes.
Then I sent a scream message to EVERYBODY.

My hands are still shaking--I can spell again.

G-J-A-L-L-A-R-H-O-R-N!
GJALLARHORN!!!

Heh.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:39 (3332 days ago) @ R41

It's not even that I "earned" it (I didn't; I just got a lucky drop). But completing VoG and seeing that Gjallarhorn pop up on the rewards screen was just great.

All 3 Helms have great stat rolls, too.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 11:49 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

All of the exotic helmets have way better stats than the ones I had, so I bought them all. I wouldn't bother for an extra couple points, but they each have 20-30 more points than my old ones.

Oh, and I got my 3rd Gally, of course :)

No way.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:00 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I know a bunch of my friends are excited for this. I actually felt semi-bad last week when I got my 4th Gjally from a legendary heavy engram I got from nightfall. the friend I ran with only had one Gjally at that point.

on a side note. Can someone buy 10 Gjallys and make a video of them dismantling them all?

No way.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:05 (3332 days ago) @ unoudid

on a side note. Can someone buy 10 Gjallys and make a video of them dismantling them all?

If I had the vault space, I'd volunteer XD

Fine by me!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:14 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Feels like they increased drop rate too.

by DocOctavius, Orlando Florida, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:16 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I got my 2nd one last week in a nightfall, then my brother who didn't have one got one from an engram. Bunches of people online got them this week, they definitely want everyone to have a chance to burn the world down one last time before the nerf...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:17 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All of the exotic helmets have way better stats than the ones I had, so I bought them all. I wouldn't bother for an extra couple points, but they each have 20-30 more points than my old ones.

Oh, and I got my 3rd Gally, of course :)

ALL of my Xbox Coins have gone to Helmet Engrams in the hopes that I can get a Symbiote or LBN... And now Xur sells them both. :P

All I kept getting were freakin' Rams with lower stats than my first one, and the useless Hunter helmets.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:20 (3332 days ago) @ Korny

ALL of my Xbox Coins have gone to Helmet Engrams in the hopes that I can get a Symbiote or LBN... And now Xur sells them both. :P

I'm glad someone else appreciates LBN.

Great for Trials

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:38 (3332 days ago) @ stabbim

Especially with Sunsingers. Clutch-revive the entire squad before the enemy team has a change to understand what the fuck is going on.

Same thing with Nightfalls too. Great for shotgunning Omnigul, since getting revived up there is usually a pain in the ass.

Way.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:54 (3332 days ago) @ narcogen

On the one hand, I'm sort of disappointed-- I liked the idea of there being some guns that Xur would never sell, even if it meant I never had one.

He doesn't sell Monte Carlo, 4th Horseman, or Hawkmoon :-p

No way.

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:55 (3332 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Bought an extra just in case we get 4 characters someday (you know it's gonna happen for year 3).

Feels like they increased drop rate too.

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, August 14, 2015, 12:59 (3332 days ago) @ DocOctavius

I got my 2nd one last week in a nightfall, then my brother who didn't have one got one from an engram. Bunches of people online got them this week, they definitely want everyone to have a chance to burn the world down one last time before the nerf...

The wolf/chest racing increased play in the slow time leading up to expansion, so will this (not to the same amount). Bungee ain't no fool!

Gah, my poor XBox copy of Destiny. :(

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:23 (3332 days ago) @ breitzen

So, I'm sitting here thinking, "gee, should I buy some extra GHorns for my PS characters?" and then I realize, I don't have one on the xbox, and my lvl 6 xbox character is nowhere near SC needed to buy one. Now I'm sad.

That Gjallarhorn feeling *vid*

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:26 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

So... When is Funk going to organize a gjallahorn only raid?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:44 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Way.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:45 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not yet he doesn't.

Way.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:48 (3332 days ago) @ narcogen

Not yet he doesn't.

Okay, he will NEVER sell:

Mythoclast
Necrochasm
Pocket Infinity
Super Good Advice
Bad Juju
Thorn
Invective
Lord of Wolves
Queenbreaker's Bow
Dreg's Promise

There's tons of exotics guns he won't sell :-)

Tuesday at 10 EST.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:48 (3332 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

I'm in. I now have six.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:56 (3332 days ago) @ CougRon

Do I feel foolish buying four more when I already have two maxed out? Yes, foolish that I only have six.

Edit: cuz Swype

NOT a ripoff.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 13:57 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

Everyone blows their Coins this week,
They blow them on Monte Carlo the week of TTK,
Then on all of the new crap exotics...
THEN Xur will sell Hawkmoon, and Bungie will laugh, and laugh...

*17 Strange Coins

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:00 (3332 days ago) @ R41

- No text -

Do you really need character 4, 5 and 6? =)

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:01 (3332 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

No life it.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:04 (3332 days ago) @ dogcow

Get to 26, have one of us carry you through the weekly. Make another dude of the same class. Transfer armor over. Weekly carry. 18 coins. You have two days.

Come at me, Bungie.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:04 (3332 days ago) @ Korny
edited by CyberKN, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:30

Everyone blows their Coins this week,
They blow them on Monte Carlo the week of TTK,
Then on all of the new crap exotics...
THEN Xur will sell Hawkmoon, and Bungie will laugh, and laugh...

[image]

[image]

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:17 (3332 days ago) @ dogcow

So, I'm sitting here thinking, "gee, should I buy some extra GHorns for my PS characters?" and then I realize, I don't have one on the xbox, and my lvl 6 xbox character is nowhere near SC needed to buy one. Now I'm sad.

Save all engrams and run Crucible. You'll be 20 in under five hours. Use engrams to boost Light level. Get carried through Raids, be 30 in under 5 hours. Run weekly and use motes for coins. Ha Gally Before the reset.

"In Destiny, each gun has a story."

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:20 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

"Players will see your gear and ask stories of how you got it. And you'll say, 'I bought it from Xur.'"

-Stolen from Casey Malone on Twitter

No, but... y'know.. :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:20 (3332 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Come at me, Bungie.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:21 (3332 days ago) @ CyberKN

Whatever you use to post images doesn't work for me.

Can anyone else not see both images?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:31 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

No, you're wrong.

by LostSpartan, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:46 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

[image]

It is my go-to for PvE

by Robot Chickens, Friday, August 14, 2015, 14:52 (3332 days ago) @ ZackDark

I love being able to generate tons of orbs and revive/get revived quickly. Plus, it is easily the most posh of all the warlock helms.

That's odd...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:02 (3332 days ago) @ LostSpartan

[image]

I had ◙6 Masterballs in Pokemon... Used one to catch my level 132 Marrowak.

It is my go-to for PvE

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:09 (3332 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I love being able to generate tons of orbs and revive/get revived quickly.

I find it more useful as a PvP gear, where every generated orb is more precious than gold.
Also, the quick revive.

Plus, it is easily the most posh of all the warlock helms.

The Façade of the Hezen Lords would like to have a word with you... heck, even the name is 2fancy4keyboards.

It is my go-to for PvE

by Robot Chickens, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:14 (3332 days ago) @ Korny

Um, does your fancy helm have feathers? I rest my case.

Going back to the "I'm old" thread...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:14 (3332 days ago) @ LostSpartan

This joke is lost on me.

The butthurt is strong with the internet today.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:23 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I know we've talked about this a bit here at DBO recently, but I'm shocked by some of the rampant negativity on twitter today around Xur selling Gjallarhorn. Of course, there's plenty of celebration going around. But I'm seeing a surprising amount of rage and frustration coming from people in my feed... people who I normally think of as being thoughtful, reasonable, and generally positive. Everything from "this is a spit in the face to people who earned Gjallarhorn" (tough to count the number of things wrong with that statement) to "Bungie is just dangling it in people's faces right before they make it useless".

It seems like there is a portion of the gaming community that is so angry about Destiny that they will find a way to complain about literally any piece of news or info. This has always been somewhat true of many games, but I feel like it is getting a bit crazier lately. I had a discussion with someone a few days ago who said he had stopped playing Destiny because "there was no point to playing PvE because PvP players got all the best gear" (???!!!). Another friend of mine said he couldn't forgive Bungie for selling House of Wolves as DLC because the brief clip of the Reef social space in a trailer a couple years ago is proof that the content was finished before the game launched (WTF?!).

What I find frustrating yet fascinating about all of this is the level of insanity and flagrant misinformation that Destiny haters seem to cling to. Even Arthur Gies at Polygon (who I generally admire and have loads of respect for) was raging at Destiny a few weeks ago for only having "about 15 missions", when it is actually closer to 30, not including strikes, raids, quests, etc.

This isn't the usual "difference of opinions" that I expect to hear from the gaming community over any title. What I don't understand is "why". I get why some people wouldn't like Destiny. That's fine. But why the blinding rage and complete lack of logic or reason from people who are generally logical and reasonable? I guess Alfred was right. Some people just want to watch the world burn, lol

Isn't that every Raid? :p

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:24 (3332 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

To be fair

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:26 (3332 days ago) @ CyberKN

Wolfpack Freedom Pew Pew Pew Celebration Day (or whatever reddit is calling it) is a pretty cool community/social story. It's like Destiny Christmas out there.

my bad!

by R41, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:55 (3332 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

That's like 6 whole coins, man!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:58 (3332 days ago) @ R41

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:13 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:18

This isn't the usual "difference of opinions" that I expect to hear from the gaming community over any title. What I don't understand is "why". I get why some people wouldn't like Destiny. That's fine. But why the blinding rage and complete lack of logic or reason from people who are generally logical and reasonable? I guess Alfred was right. Some people just want to watch the world burn, lol

I can only take a guess and assume that it's a byproduct of the investment system. When posed with the question of why HBO was generally a more positive and creative community than DBO, the only difference really is the game.

I would guess that it has to do with people, well, being TOO invested in items rather than experiences. Bungie wants each gun to have a story, and it would seem that others having the same gun but a different story somehow lessens your own. If all you were concerned about were the experience, someone else having the gun wouldn't matter, since they didn't have the experience.

It's like, I've had quite a few interesting, hilarious, and borderline illegal encounters with famous people. Back in Michigan, when I tell my family that Clint Eastwood was behind me in the popcorn line before Gran Torino, that's like a huge deal even though that's the most banal of my encounters. But out here in LA? Everybody has stories like that and nobody really cares.

When everybody's got a story, nobody does. When everyone is legend, nobody is.

Hey, I earned my Gyllenhaal

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:14 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

By soloing the starting chest in Crota's End the week after it came out. All of those minutes wiping until it spawned in the first room. :(

Don't stare too deep into the void Cruel.

by LostSpartan, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:19 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What I don't understand is "why". I get why some people wouldn't like Destiny. That's fine. But why the blinding rage and complete lack of logic or reason from people who are generally logical and reasonable?

Even the most seasoned of Voidwalkers couldn't escape if you fell in :)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:30 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I know we've talked about this a bit here at DBO recently, but I'm shocked by some of the rampant negativity on twitter today around Xur selling Gjallarhorn. Of course, there's plenty of celebration going around. But I'm seeing a surprising amount of rage and frustration coming from people in my feed... people who I normally think of as being thoughtful, reasonable, and generally positive. Everything from "this is a spit in the face to people who earned Gjallarhorn" (tough to count the number of things wrong with that statement) to "Bungie is just dangling it in people's faces right before they make it useless".

It seems like there is a portion of the gaming community that is so angry about Destiny that they will find a way to complain about literally any piece of news or info. This has always been somewhat true of many games, but I feel like it is getting a bit crazier lately. I had a discussion with someone a few days ago who said he had stopped playing Destiny because "there was no point to playing PvE because PvP players got all the best gear" (???!!!). Another friend of mine said he couldn't forgive Bungie for selling House of Wolves as DLC because the brief clip of the Reef social space in a trailer a couple years ago is proof that the content was finished before the game launched (WTF?!).

What I find frustrating yet fascinating about all of this is the level of insanity and flagrant misinformation that Destiny haters seem to cling to. Even Arthur Gies at Polygon (who I generally admire and have loads of respect for) was raging at Destiny a few weeks ago for only having "about 15 missions", when it is actually closer to 30, not including strikes, raids, quests, etc.

I've got a theory that extends beyond gaming and goes into areas that aren't really suitable for discussion here. I'll still try to describe it briefly: It's not always easy for anyone to understand what precisely is bothering them. I think many people are mad or anxious about a lot of things in the world. If they're angry, I think it's because they had a belief that things would be better if this and that happened, but the reality is in contrast to that. There's a lot of anxiety regardless, and now we have the means to express ourselves to many other people simultaneously, so we get a steady diet of others' anger, anxiety, outrage over the injustice du jour, and so on, and just as we've talked about with the DBO culture, that tends to affect everyone and everyone's judgment. A lot of unhappy people get their unhappy feelings validated by other unhappy people. First impressions probably count more than ever in that they quickly are disseminated, and Bungie has had their work cut out for them considering the initial reception of Destiny.

TL:DR: It's the g**d*** 70s again, except this time the Internet is here to magnify our malaise.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:31 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Don't forget that the exact same thing happened when he first sold Icebreaker. We had a great tale of Sammy getting hers from our first ever Raid, and everybody was jealous and in awe of the look and sound of it... Then, Xur sold it, and she was like "well, poop". But folks on the internet were furious. How dare he sell such a coveted weapon?

That's where the whole "earned" nonsense first popped up, and it hasn't stopped yet. I do think that it stems from a sense of elitism, and the sadness that comes with no longer being "special", even if it's something that will benefit you and your groups.

*shrug* who knows. Actually, I knows. I had a Gally the second week that the game came out, a Vex before anyone that I knew, and a Hawkmoon before the first major Hand Cannon nerf, so I cherish those memories and such, and the fact that those stories have slowly gone from being "whoah" to "who cares?" is a bit of a bummer, but that's what happens in a game where people slowly learned that "how" you got a weapon really doesn't matter, thanks to RNG and Xur's sales. Sure, you earn the ability to hit the loot pool, but ultimately, when a guy who goes .05 in Crucible gets a Hawkmoon that took you thirty Nightfalls to get, the value of obtaining the weapon is altogether gone.

To a lesser extent, you see all the folks that have the Skolas shader, and you simply assume that they got it during the Gjallarhorn burn, rather than suffering through the current setup (or the nigh-impossible Arc Burn). It's all about the "How" for some folks...

That's why I'm looking forward to TTK's greater focus on quests. People will truly "earn" their weapons (and gear?), and maybe the salty folks on the forums will have little to complain (heck, most of them might not have what it takes to get the most coveted weapons).

by Miguel Chavez, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:50 (3332 days ago) @ Korny

That's why I'm looking forward to TTK's greater focus on quests. People will truly "earn" their weapons (and gear?), and maybe the salty folks on the forums will have little to complain (heck, most of them might not have what it takes to get the most coveted weapons).

I commend your optimism, but I think the void of entitlement will just be filled with other things, unknown to us now (or just off our radar), once TTK is launched. It'll repeat with D2, and then with whatever else comes after.

It's a way of life.

+1 but...

by Miguel Chavez, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:52 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

I've got a theory that extends beyond gaming and goes into areas that aren't really suitable for discussion here. I'll still try to describe it briefly: It's not always easy for anyone to understand what precisely is bothering them. I think many people are mad or anxious about a lot of things in the world. If they're angry, I think it's because they had a belief that things would be better if this and that happened, but the reality is in contrast to that. There's a lot of anxiety regardless, and now we have the means to express ourselves to many other people simultaneously, so we get a steady diet of others' anger, anxiety, outrage over the injustice du jour, and so on, and just as we've talked about with the DBO culture, that tends to affect everyone and everyone's judgment. A lot of unhappy people get their unhappy feelings validated by other unhappy people. First impressions probably count more than ever in that they quickly are disseminated, and Bungie has had their work cut out for them considering the initial reception of Destiny.

TL:DR: It's the g**d*** 70s again, except this time the Internet is here to magnify our malaise.

…. those were the golden years of auteur cinema!

+1 but...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:55 (3332 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

…. those were the golden years of auteur cinema!

Ain't that the gospel truth.

So basically this?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:57 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

:)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:57 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

Why then, when I go to the Life is Strange subreddit, are there no negative posts, tons of excitement, fan art galore, theories, and general wackiness?

:-p

Best post of the day...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:59 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I can't look away!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:00 (3332 days ago) @ LostSpartan

[image]

So basically this?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:03 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:06

[image]

If you're referring to the "everything is awesome and nobody is happy" joke that he does, I actually disagree with the premise on a fundamental level. Being unhappy with the Status Quo, working to fix that, and implementing something new is how you get a better future. He used the example of people complaining about flying. Back in the day, you had to take an Ox cart, and it took you two months to go from coast to coast. But see, that was better than walking. If he were alive back then and said that the Ox carriage is amazing because it beats walking, and you can't complain about it, we'd have no cars or airplanes today! Everybody would be just happy with their Oxen.

Yes, phones are amazing, but the bad ones don't scroll right away when you swipe them and are slow, wasting your time. It's better than going to the library, but you know what's even better? A phone that is responsive :-)

Interestingly, happiness seems to be relative as well. People are more unhappy when there are bigger differences between them and their neighbors. Even though the poor in this country have it way better than the poor in Bangladesh, they are basically just as happy. Louie's mistake is thinking happiness is on an absolute scale.

Best post of the day...

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:05 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

I lost it at Agent of the Nine (Eleven).

So basically this?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:05 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

If you're referring to the "everything is awesome and nobody is happy" joke that he does, I actually disagree with the premise on a fundamental level. Being unhappy with the Status Quo, working to fix that, and implementing something new is how you get a better future. He used the example of people complaining about flying. Back in the day, you had to take an Ox cart, and it took you two months to go from coast to coast. But see, that was better than walking. If he were alive back then and said that the Ox carriage is amazing because it beats walking, and you can't complain about it, we'd have no cars or airplanes today! Everybody would be just happy with their Oxen.

Yes, phones are amazing, but the bad ones don't scroll right away when you swipe them and are slow, wasting your time. It's better than going to the library, but you know what's even better? A phone that is responsive :-)

His general point was more about looking at the big picture within our current day. People in Canada and the US throw temper tantrums over their cellphones while less fortunate people face real problems :)

So basically this?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:07 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

His general point was more about looking at the big picture within our current day. People in Canada and the US throw temper tantrums over their cellphones while less fortunate people face real problems :)

I added more to my post to cover this. Happiness is not absolute: it is relative.

I can't look away!

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:10 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Room 23 :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:14 (3332 days ago) @ Korny

To a lesser extent, you see all the folks that have the Skolas shader, and you simply assume that they got it during the Gjallarhorn burn, rather than suffering through the current setup (or the nigh-impossible Arc Burn). It's all about the "How" for some folks...

Pete the Duck wrote a great article a while back that touched on some of this stuff. I thought of it while talking to someone on Twitter today. He was claiming that his Mythoclast was an accomplishment. I told him that the Mythoclast can't be considered the accomplishment, because you might have 6 people who complete the same raid together while only 1 of them gets a Mythoclast. Completing the raid is the accomplishment, not the random reward you are given.

So basically this?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:16 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I added more to my post to cover this. Happiness is not absolute: it is relative.

Very true, but we as humans have the ability to adjust our own perspective. Someone who feels genuinely miserable about their cellphone might start to feel differently if they really begin to consider the problems others face.

So basically this?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:24 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Interestingly, happiness seems to be relative as well. People are more unhappy when there are bigger differences between them and their neighbors. Even though the poor in this country have it way better than the poor in Bangladesh, they are basically just as happy. Louie's mistake is thinking happiness is on an absolute scale.

Point taken, except that I disagree that he's thinking happiness is on a absolute scale--precisely the opposite. Much of happiness is about having perspective, and that's what he's talking about. It's no injunction against improving the status quo to recognize what's amazing about it. If you can't do that right at this moment, then you never can because there's always this imagined ideal against which your reality sucks.

I also think there's great wisdom in recognizing that they thing we're complaining about is often not the source of our complaint. How many arguments between couples are about the thing that's really bothering them? With work you can figure out what the real problem is, but it's not a given that not unloading the dishwasher is the real cause of the divorce.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:24 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just making sure I didn't miss anything. Was there a way to enter a photo in that contest? Also, who is the fucking hot dog dude? And is it weird I saw the crippled Chloe and murdery Jefferson twists coming, but still 100% played as if I didn't?

Life is Strange SPOILER.^^^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:27 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

Dammit, Funkmon.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:27 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why then, when I go to the Life is Strange subreddit, are there no negative posts, tons of excitement, fan art galore, theories, and general wackiness?

Those folks don't have a habit to break.

I see both, they are the same

by Raflection, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:34 (3332 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Great expectations

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:34 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A partial answer, I think, comes down to expectations. Destiny faced a level and ferocity of expectations that few games are up against. Not just expectations of quality, but of the kind of experience it would deliver. When people spend months expecting and waiting for "x" and they get "y", it can cause frustrations, even if "y" is great.

Life is Strange faced none of the pre-launch scrutiny that Destiny did. Most people played it and judged it for what it is, not what they thought it was going to be.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:40 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I notice a lot of hate towards anything that gets big or has been deemed too big for too long. Life is Strange is fairly new, I'd say, and probably has a smaller, closer-knit group of fans who are passionate about the game (which I need to buy one of these days - thanks for reminding me!). If it continues to grow in popularity and a sequel or series is made, I'd wager hate would start to come out of the woodwork.

I'd also wager if nobody had heard of Bungie before and Destiny didn't have the marketing and hype around it, it would have a very different reputation right now, even with the debatable investment system.

Looking back at the first Halo, I don't remember a lot of hatred thrown at it (except by Mac fans :p), but boy do I remember the Halo 2 era where there was a LOT of hate, sometimes from people who had never played it.

The popularity of anything seems to eventually reach a certain threshold and then a good percentage of people start to become overly-critical of the series or the author. Either they compare everything new to a past 'golden age' or just flat out hate hearing about it without even being interested in it, or the fans of something similar hate on it because 'there can only be One'. Maybe somebody trusts somebody else's opinion and just borrows it.

I remember when folks began associating Halo with 'frat boy' stereotypes and aggressive competition. It still has that association (and 343's football Spartans and focus on e-sports definitely doesn't help) but now classic Halo has become nostalgic for a lot of people. Reddit gaming used to hate Halo; now it loves looking back at it fondly. Halo2Sucks.com became Halo 2 Anniversary.

It's like you can chart waves of love, hype, release, hate, nostalgia, love, hype, reboot, hate, nostalgia, etc., in any big series in any medium these days. The Internet has made this phenomena get even crazier.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:50 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Funkmon, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:54

Chill out. It's not like I told you they found Rachel's body in the junkyard.

So I'm thinking it could go either way on Rachel. It might not be her, and she will be fine by the end, though the game heavily implies it is and the doe is her spirit or something.

I have a problem with the spoiler culture. Episode 4 has been out for 2 weeks now. It costs $5 or something and blows 2 hours of your life. If you want to play it, you should have by now. I'm not going to censor or provide a warning for my discussion of a topic based on the possibility of someone reading it who doesn't want to know about it. I feel like if you care enough to get upset, you should care enough to experience the game in a timely manner. It's short, it's cheap, I'm talking about it. I acknowledge this makes me seem like an asshole. Also, when I say you, I mean "somebody" or "any person," not you, Kermit. It's a rant about the phenomenon. And yes, this first sentence of this post was absolutely trolling.

Funkmon SPOILER.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:52 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

He doesn't eat the sock.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:55 (3332 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'd also wager if nobody had heard of Bungie before and Destiny didn't have the marketing and hype around it, it would have a very different reputation right now, even with the debatable investment system.

Looking back at the first Halo, I don't remember a lot of hatred thrown at it (except by Mac fans :p), but boy do I remember the Halo 2 era where there was a LOT of hate, sometimes from people who had never played it.

Many excellent points, but I just have to point this out. I remember dealing with a lot of hate directed toward Halo from my PC gaming friends (who weren't into console gaming). I find Bungie draws a lot of hate from haters ever since the M$ purchase.

Great expectations

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:55 (3332 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

A partial answer, I think, comes down to expectations. Destiny faced a level and ferocity of expectations that few games are up against. Not just expectations of quality, but of the kind of experience it would deliver. When people spend months expecting and waiting for "x" and they get "y", it can cause frustrations, even if "y" is great.

Life is Strange faced none of the pre-launch scrutiny that Destiny did. Most people played it and judged it for what it is, not what they thought it was going to be.

You've touched on how I felt exactly. I'm not saying Bungie did anything wrong, but here was my experience, justified or not:

Info about Destiny has already been released, including the concept art showing Saturn, Jupiter, Phobos, Chicago, etc. Vidocs tell us about how big it is and how expansive the universe is. I play the game pre-alpha thanks to someone in the industry, and I get hype for the first time because the game plays great. The alpha comes, and is said to be 5% of the game. Game is misleadingly said to have a 500 million dollar budget.

Now. At this point, based on all that, I was fully expecting to go to all the places in the concept art, mentioned in the Vidocs, and have multiple explore (now patrol) spaces per destination. Apparently I was not the only one, since when it was announced there was one explorable space per planet, there was a collective unease, and Deej had to take over Matt's old job as Damage and Spin.

Game comes out, and is nowhere near my expectations. I was not alone.

I don't want to place blame, but Bungie could have been much more transparent about the eventual delivery of content. My expectations didn't come from thin air. If they had said that there was this huge universe that you'd be exploring, that new content would be rolled out over the years, and that eventually you'll visit all these awesome places, then that would have tempered expectations I think. They needed to say that the places in the concept art were just concepts, and aren't in the final game but will be rolled in over the ten years. This needed to be done almost immediately after the leak. I don't recall any qualifiers when they told me I could go to Saturn. So, I expected to be able to. I will kind of be able to in a month, but that's not what I was led to believe. Right up until the Beta the illusion of a scope was there.

This wasn't intentional of course, which is why it's frustrating. I think in a perfect world, companies would only announce games when they are content complete :-)

It could go either way.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:55 (3332 days ago) @ iconicbanana

ProbablyLast has a t shirt he ordered for me. I have to pick it up sometime.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:00 (3332 days ago) @ Leviathan

The popularity of anything seems to eventually reach a certain threshold and then a good percentage of people start to become overly-critical of the series or the author. Either they compare everything new to a past 'golden age' or just flat out hate hearing about it without even being interested in it, or the fans of something similar hate on it because 'there can only be One'.

Better be more restrictive with DBO membership then, or else year 9 is gonna be hard :-p

Going back to the "I'm old" thread...

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:03 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

Fearow and Tentacruel are not at all rare or hard to catch, so using a Masterball (guaranteed catch whenever you use it) on one is a complete waste.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:04 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

Chill out. It's not like I told you they found Rachel's body in the junkyard.

So I'm thinking it could go either way on Rachel. It might not be her, and she will be fine by the end, though the game heavily implies it is and the doe is her spirit or something.

If it were Nathan buried instead, as some speculate, he would not start to stink yet. The fact that there was a terrible smell means the body had time to decompose. The doe is standing over that exact spot in Episode 2. It's Rachel. She's dead.

Obvious ending is obvious.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:05 (3332 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:06 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The popularity of anything seems to eventually reach a certain threshold and then a good percentage of people start to become overly-critical of the series or the author. Either they compare everything new to a past 'golden age' or just flat out hate hearing about it without even being interested in it, or the fans of something similar hate on it because 'there can only be One'.

Better be more restrictive with DBO membership then, or else year 9 is gonna be hard :-p

By year 9 I'll be well into my thirties, Claude will be eighty or something, Xenos will probably be able to drink legally, and DBO will be a hologram in our jetpack helmets... so it's hard to tell what that will be like...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:07 (3332 days ago) @ Leviathan

By year 9 I'll be well into my thirties, Claude will be eighty or something, Xenos will probably be able to drink legally, and DBO will be a hologram in our jetpack helmets... so it's hard to tell what that will be like...

How young do you think I am?!?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:07 (3332 days ago) @ Leviathan

But the buttons next to the post box will STILL crash mobile safari :-p

13 or 14?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:08 (3332 days ago) @ Xenos

;)

Is Life is Strange worth experiencing?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:18 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

Seriously, I'm out of the loop. Never played, never really cared too, but I literally know nothing about it.

I guess a little research around the web is warranted. I know it seems pretty universally loved, so I may have to check it out.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:36 (3332 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Seriously, I'm out of the loop. Never played, never really cared too, but I literally know nothing about it.

I guess a little research around the web is warranted. I know it seems pretty universally loved, so I may have to check it out.

Yes. Buy it now. It's the best game of its genre so far.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:40 (3332 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Funkmon, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:23

Gameplay is dull, lip sync and mocap is so off that I wonder if it is on purpose, bad graphics covered up by highly stylized art.

The story and the time travel mechanic are very cool. So cool it makes the game worth experiencing. And honestly it isn't even the story that is cool, it is how it feels. It feels real. Something I hate in teen stories is that they never go to the police or their parents or authority when there is a problem. In this game, you have that option. And in general, they don't listen to you or give two shits. It feels very much like being in high school. There are cliques and friends and people being mean for no reason, but when you get them away from their crowd, they become kind of nice. Just like in school. There are moments in the game where you just waste time with your friend when you should be doing other stuff. You have to deal with a boy who you're friend zoning but he hasn't realized it yet. These little details in the story make it feel real, and it allows you to be connected to the world and feel like you're making real decisions more than other games.

It's also not like telltale games. Because you're in an ostensibly real world, when you are placed in an area, you can spend 30 minutes screwing around before you do what you're supposed to do in the story, giving you the illusion of freedom. There are 12 people you can talk to instead of 3, and most of them won't have anything useful to say. This contrasts to the telltale games where any time you control your character you must do a very specific thing, and you are only controlling your character to change the order it's done in.

So where this game wins is in immersion.

Should you buy it? Nah. Not if you weren't already interested. There is a reason critics give it a 6/10. This game appeals to the exact people it appealed to when they first heard about it. I think it would be very difficult to win someone over with it.

Cody is right, it's the best example of this genre, but the genre isn't for everyone. It's one of my fave games of all time, but I don't know if you'll get much out of it.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:48 (3332 days ago) @ Xenos

All I can comment on is that we've never been in a room together without your Guardian being present.

by huemonbeing, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:08 (3332 days ago) @ Leviathan

All I can comment on is that we've never been in a room together without your Guardian being present.

You don't want to be in a room alone with Xenos... scary scary things can and will happen

That's for your safety. Not mine.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:11 (3332 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

It is my go-to for PvE

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:51 (3332 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I love being able to generate tons of orbs and revive/get revived quickly. Plus, it is easily the most posh of all the warlock helms.

I seriously doubt it generates as many orbs as my Obsidian Mind in open-air.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:56 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

High praise coming from you. And I mean that sincerely. I went ahead and bought it. If i don't like it I'm not out to much money so it's worth a shot.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:59 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I'm going to give it a shot. That was my biggest issue with the Telltale games. It felt like they didn't really even need to be games. I'd have been happier if was something I could just watch and not actually make those choices. I don't feel like they really added much to the experience.

Unnecessary

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:03 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

I have a problem with the spoiler culture. Episode 4 has been out for 2 weeks now. It costs $5 or something and blows 2 hours of your life. If you want to play it, you should have by now.

There’s absolutely no need to be a jerk about it, Funk. I haven’t played Life Is Strange, so all of this lost on me. But I know that others have enjoyed that title.

And two weeks really isn’t very long; I often travel for work for much longer than that; maybe I was away from my Xbox and haven’t been able to pick it up yet? Maybe someone is waiting for all of the episodes to come out before they jump in? Maybe someone hadn’t heard of it until just now and they’re finally catching up?

All it takes is a little bit of kindness to think, “Hey, others might take umbrage to this spoiler-ish comment, maybe I should put it in a spoiler tag?”

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:29 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Those are reasons to not like Destiny. Still don't see anything to justify the hate/rage.

*OT*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:34 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Happiness is not absolute: it is relative"
. - Cody Miller, 2015

I don't about you guys, but I feel like framing this and hanging in my bedroom.

darthvadernooooooo.wav

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:36 (3332 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

I spoke to Carl Sagan

by scarab @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:06 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:32 (3332 days ago) @ dogcow

Are you sure? Bungie dumped a bunch of coins into the postmaster for giving up your privacy.

Unnecessary

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:32 (3332 days ago) @ Beorn

I'm not being a jerk about it. That wasn't supposed to sound jerky, but a rationalization in a jokey manner. I'm not sure I've ever been serious in my life, and all my posts should be taken with good humour. I think people who want to inhibit (no matter how minor the inhibition is) my talk about it are being jerks about it. I've been "spoiled" plenty of times. I was only even mildly upset once, and it was for show. It's just part of life. If I went on HBO within the first two weeks of Halo 5 and spoiled stuff, that is probably mean. But on a small game on a forum not even about it, deep in the thread, no. It's fine and I'm unapologetic.

It's unreasonable to call people talking about stories jerks, or say they're acting jerky, when in fact only a small number of people will even be affected by it. Even in your example, when Breaking Dawn was spoiled for me by me visiting a forum while I was in Germany, I thought, "Oh man! That is crazy!" I felt no disdain for the people talking about Bella and Edward. It's their life and interests. I didn't tell the Avril Lavigne off topic forum to use the spoiler tags. Let people talk about whatever. People shouldn't restrict their talk based on a theoretical person who deeply cares about a story wholly unrelated to the general subject of a discussion but has for good reasons been unable to experience it firsthand. That is ridiculous.

We have different points at where something becomes fine to spoil. Darth Vader is Luke's Father, Neo is The One, we are fine there. We both agree those are fine, I am sure. Cortana sacrifices herself in Halo 4? That's more debatable. To me, it is in the clear. To others it may not be. Skolas being taken by the Queen? We've all decided that is all right, despite Vagueness not having the DLC. This is why you guys thinking I'm an asshole seems as ridiculous as me thinking you're assholes for spoiling the end of Breaking Bad. Which Mythbusters did last week, BTW.

I know I ask people to try to be more positive and it isn't unreasonable for people to ask me to be more spoiler conscious. Just due to my principles, and I know this sounds hypocritical and stupid, I will not be more spoiler conscious. I'm going to talk about what I like here, how I like here, within the rules, where I think it's fair. If there is a spoiler rule about non Destiny stories, I won't spoil then anymore. In fact, I would probably just not even discuss non Destiny stories. It's just not worth it. And I am sorry about that. I just feel absolutely disgusting inside putting spoiler tags on that stuff.

For those who don't want to be spoiled, you should probably never read my posts. I do talk about other stories with my friends here and I'm not cagey about them.

Monte Carlo is not sold, it's inexorably drawn to the worthy

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:33 (3332 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Which theater?

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:36 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Unnecessary

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:48 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

But on a small game on a forum not even about it, deep in the thread, no. It's fine and I'm unapologetic.

That makes it so much worse. If it was a Destiny spoiler, well, shame on me I went to the place they discuss destiny stuff. Bound to happen.

It's unreasonable to call people talking about stories jerks, or say they're acting jerky, when in fact only a small number of people will even be affected by it.

NOBODY has told you not to talk about it. you were asked to consider other people and use a spoiler tag.

I just feel absolutely disgusting inside putting spoiler tags on that stuff.

I understand why someone would place their own comfort over multiple others, even at so small a personal cost, I just wish it weren't so.

For those who don't want to be spoiled, you should probably never read my posts. I do talk about other stories with my friends here and I'm not cagey about them.

And if the forum had killfiles (take that reference, We are old thread!), that would be a solution. But we don't. if I scroll down how am I to even know you are next?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:50 (3332 days ago) @ dogcow

Many excellent points, but I just have to point this out. I remember dealing with a lot of hate directed toward Halo from my PC gaming friends (who weren't into console gaming). I find Bungie draws a lot of hate from haters ever since the M$ purchase.

SO many complaints about how slow you move.

Great expectations

by Kahzgul, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:58 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This was my experience as well.

Add to it the adverts with in-game-engine scenes that end up not being part of the game at all ("out here in the wild, this is how we talk") and several statements along the lines of "your gear will tell your story. If people see you have gun X, they know you went to place Y and killed boss Z." Which turns out to have been true in some cases and false in others. You only get a Mythoclast from killing Aetheon, but the statement makes it sound like everyone who killed Aetheon gets a Mythoclast. Likewise, there are loads of items in the game that just drop from anything, or at the end of a nightfall (any nightfall), with the result being that those weapons tell a super boring story of "finally the RNG gave me this." It feels to me like a struggle against probability and game mechanics, as opposed to alien servants of a mysterious darkness.

Without the hype, I absolutely would have enjoyed the game more. That makes me pretty sad to think about. Apparently I'm susceptible to advertising.

Best post of the day...

by Kahzgul, Friday, August 14, 2015, 22:02 (3332 days ago) @ bluerunner

That was great.

I also enjoy that the Destiny subreddit has gone club penguin/gjallerhorn crazy!

oh no! Tuesday is the day that I leave for vacation.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 22:14 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

should have asked you to do it on the weekend. I'm off for vacation starting tuesday.
For an American I'm taking a lot of time off. A whole week! Well, 6 days which is close enough. Going to Spokane for some WorldCon.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 01:05 (3332 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm going to give it a shot. That was my biggest issue with the Telltale games. It felt like they didn't really even need to be games. I'd have been happier if was something I could just watch and not actually make those choices. I don't feel like they really added much to the experience.

See, the choices in this game are smart. Like really smart. Not only do they and the mechanic fit into the theme of regret perfectly, without giving too much away you can never make the 'best' choice. You can rewind and rechoose all you want, but as you gather new information in later episodes, you still may regret it. What you think you know about someone now may change down the line. Put a lot of thought into whom you choose to piss off or befriend.

Grimoire or DTR score

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 01:14 (3332 days ago) @ Kermit

ppl have been discriminating by grimoire score since the first LFG site was made. They also discriminate by Destiny Tracker Rating (DTR) and exotic emblem now. There will always be something.....

Way.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 01:58 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not yet he doesn't.

Okay, he will NEVER sell:

Mythoclast
Necrochasm
Pocket Infinity
Super Good Advice
Bad Juju
Thorn
Invective
Lord of Wolves
Queenbreaker's Bow
Dreg's Promise

There's tons of exotics guns he won't sell :-)

Some of those are so easy to get that him not selling it is not a barrier.

SGA, Invective, Bad Juju, and Pocket Infinity, for instance.

Mythoclast seems to be a rare drop as well but seemingly not so rare as the Gally, although at least you know what activity you can get it from.

Same for Necrochasm and some of the others. Thorn has a bounty as well.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 03:26 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

See, the choices in this game are smart. Like really smart. Not only do they and the mechanic fit into the theme of regret perfectly, without giving too much away you can never make the 'best' choice. You can rewind and rechoose all you want, but as you gather new information in later episodes, you still may regret it. What you think you know about someone now may change down the line. Put a lot of thought into whom you choose to piss off or befriend.

I just finished Episode 1. No regrets on the purchase. I love it (Really, really, really dig the soundtrack).

I do already distinctly get the impression that there are no "correct" choices, which I think is great.

I also like the choice stats they give you at the end of the episode, a great little touch. And it showed me that I missed a few things.

Everything Spoiled:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 03:29 (3331 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Brooke likes Warren
Warren likes Max
Max likes Chloe
Chloe likes Rachel
Rachel likes Frank
Frank likes beans

…and such small portions

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 04:17 (3331 days ago) @ narcogen

Wait. Now we're complaining guns are not hard enough to get?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread