What's better than a Hawkmoon? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:15 (3332 days ago)

Three Hawkmoons!

Bungie just shared this image on their Facebook.

I want one, to savor the wonderful pre-nerf memories...

[image]

What's better than a Hawkmoon?

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:29 (3332 days ago) @ Korny

Looking forward to the new weapons for TTK and seeing what, out of the new weapons, becomes the new Hawkmoon and what becomes the new Thorn.

CC

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:41 (3332 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

Looking forward to the new weapons for TTK and seeing what, out of the new weapons, becomes the new Hawkmoon

The Jade Rabbit. From the map previews, this looks to pack a real nasty punch (three-shot kill), and that's without even knowing what makes it exotic. And like Hawkmoon, it's a Playstation Exclusive.
[image]

and what becomes the new Thorn.

Judging from the weapon balancing, it may very well be Suros once more.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 17:59 (3332 days ago) @ Korny

Looking forward to the new weapons for TTK and seeing what, out of the new weapons, becomes the new Hawkmoon

The Jade Rabbit. From the map previews, this looks to pack a real nasty punch (three-shot kill), and that's without even knowing what makes it exotic. And like Hawkmoon, it's a Playstation Exclusive.
[image]

and what becomes the new Thorn.

Judging from the weapon balancing, it may very well be Suros once more.

Naturally, the "best" weapon is going to be a Playstation exclusive. I swear... this just... walks away

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:05 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Naturally, the "best" weapon is going to be a Playstation exclusive. I swear... this just... walks away

Nah, that Tex Mechanica shotgun isn't a Playstation exclusive :)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:06 (3332 days ago) @ Xenos

Neither is the railgun. C'mon now.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:11 (3332 days ago) @ iconicbanana

What bugs me the most is that there is STILL PlayStation exclusives. I can understand (kind of) why there would be exclusives when a game launches, but seriously.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:38 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

What bugs me the most is that there is STILL PlayStation exclusives. I can understand (kind of) why there would be exclusives when a game launches, but seriously.

Not only does it look like Year 2 will also have a full year of PS-exclusive content, but from the looks of things, Bungie seems to be ramping up on the content.

The map is very unique (lots of platforming),
The Strike sounds very Raid-like (the GameInformer folks said it was the best of the strikes),
And the gun looks to have killer base stats (described as a sniper-like weapon).

This is going to rustle a few jimmies at launch, I'm sure...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:00 (3332 days ago) @ Korny
edited by MacAddictXIV, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:32

Not only does it look like Year 2 will also have a full year of PS-exclusive content, but from the looks of things, Bungie seems to be ramping up on the content.

The Strike sounds very Raid-like (the GameInformer folks said it was the best of the strikes),
And the gun looks to have killer base stats (described as a sniper-like weapon).

The problem is, I highly doubt that Bungie is signing a new contract every year for exclusives. They could be. But either way, I don't think we could get enough frustrated people to make them stop doing it.

What really bugs me is how long it takes for the content to be non-exclusive! And the timing! We finally get the weapons when they are basically obsolete! And the maps? woohoo, we get more maps when a TON of new maps are coming out. It's the worse timing ever! A week before TTK launches would be better than at the same time!

It just rubs me in all the wrong ways. I basically feel like I'm getting tea bagged by PlayStation and Bungie. And I'm being tea bagged while I'm still alive, and I can't get up to do anything about it.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:39 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The problem is, I highly doubt that Bungie is signing a new contract every year for exclusives. They could be. But either way, I don't think we get get enough frustration to make them stop doing it.

What really bugs me is how long it takes for the content to be non-exclusive! And the timing! We finally get the weapons when they are basically obsolete! And the maps? woohoo, we get more maps when a TON of new maps are coming out. It's the worse timing ever! A week before TTK launches would be better than at the same time!

It just rubs me in all the wrong ways. I basically feel like I'm getting tea bagged by PlayStation and Bungie. And I'm being tea bagged while I'm still alive, and I can't get up to do anything about it.

Just to play devil's advocate... you could have done something about it - a year and a half ago, before the game came out, but after they made it clear that the complete Destiny experience was going to be on Playstation and that there would be Playatation Exclusive content. If it really mattered to you to be able to play the maps and strikes, you were supposed to get the Playstation version - which is the entire point of exclusives. Sony decided that for some undisclosed sum of money, it was worth it for them to pay Activision for some exclusive Destiny content because that would mean a significant [enough] percentage of people would choose to buy a Playstation 4 instead of an Xbox One.

Yeah, exclusives are kinda crappy. But they are a part of life in the video game industry, and they will continue to be part of it because they work. If you don't want to feel teabagged, you can choose to get the version that comes with all the content that you really want, or you can decide to not play along at all, or you can decide to wait it out. One of the most basic principles of economics is opportunity cost and exclusives are a perfect example of that principle in practice.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:48 (3332 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The problem is, I highly doubt that Bungie is signing a new contract every year for exclusives. They could be. But either way, I don't think we get get enough frustration to make them stop doing it.

Just to play devil's advocate... you could have done something about it - a year and a half ago, before the game came out, but after they made it clear that the complete Destiny experience was going to be on Playstation and that there would be Playatation Exclusive content. If it really mattered to you to be able to play the maps and strikes, you were supposed to get the Playstation version - which is the entire point of exclusives. Sony decided that for some undisclosed sum of money, it was worth it for them to pay Activision for some exclusive Destiny content because that would mean a significant [enough] percentage of people would choose to buy a Playstation 4 instead of an Xbox One.

Yeah, exclusives are kinda crappy. But they are a part of life in the video game industry, and they will continue to be part of it because they work. If you don't want to feel teabagged, you can choose to get the version that comes with all the content that you really want, or you can decide to not play along at all, or you can decide to wait it out. One of the most basic principles of economics is opportunity cost and exclusives are a perfect example of that principle in practice.

I've already come to terms with what you mentioned and I understand that. What I'm talking about now is Round 2 of exclusives, which in my mind, shouldn't matter nearly as much in the case you are mentioning. As well as the timing of when the exclusives are coming to XBox, which in reality is what is screwing XBox players even more than anything. I'm more than happy to wait, but when the exclusives come out so late that they become obsolete? I mean really?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:56 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I've already come to terms with what you mentioned and I understand that. What I'm talking about now is Round 2 of exclusives, which in my mind, shouldn't matter nearly as much in the case you are mentioning. As well as the timing of when the exclusives are coming to XBox, which in reality is what is screwing XBox players even more than anything. I'm more than happy to wait, but when the exclusives come out so late that they become obsolete? I mean really?

I don't think I agree with the last part. None of these exclusives will be obsolete. The exotics will never become useless since their strategy on exclusives seems to be they will always be special weapons, and no one who plays only on Xbox has played ANY of the strikes or maps that the Playstation players are already playing. Personally I'm excited to get 9 new PvP maps while PS4 gets 8 new PvP maps, and we get 2 more exotics than they are getting in the expansion etc. It's not like anyone on Xbox is going to think they're "old" when they haven't even had a chance to try them.

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:57 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

they become obsolete? I mean really?

Yeah, but that's hyperbole. They're not obsolete.

Any word on Exotics carrying over to Year 2 max damage?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:18 (3332 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:19 (3332 days ago) @ ZackDark

They've only mentioned "Legendaries" being left behind in previews.

by Kahzgul, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:45 (3332 days ago) @ CyberKN

They've only mentioned "Legendaries" being left behind in previews.

I've noticed the same thing, yet I've also seen that the news articles all seem to be interpreting this as "all guns and armor" rather than just legendaries (they say things like "your legendaries won't be upgradeable to year 2 stats, so you'll need all new guns are armor"). So kind of confusing the point, I think. I'd lean on the side of Bungie is choosing their verbiage carefully, and the news people are not.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:56 (3332 days ago) @ Kahzgul

This is still only circumstantial evidence -- but just the basic fact that Xbox is only now getting Hawkmkoon, Monte Carlo, and Fourth Horseman tells me that exotics will be upgradeable. It would be borderline unconscionable for Bungie to leave those weapons capped at year one values just as half the player base is eligible to get them. They also wouldn't be making such precise and deliberate tweaks to the weapon balancing of specific exotic weapons if their attack values were going to be immediately complete steps below all other weapons we will be encountering on the very day that those changes go into place.

If "year one exotics" (especially Hawkmoon, Monte Carlo, and Fourth Horseman) are not upgradeable after September 15th I will consider that to be without-a-doubt the biggest shock, and biggest error in judgment, of the entire year one history of this game.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 22:02 (3332 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This is still only circumstantial evidence -- but just the basic fact that Xbox is only now getting Hawkmkoon, Monte Carlo, and Fourth Horseman tells me that exotics will be upgradeable. It would be borderline unconscionable for Bungie to leave those weapons capped at year one values just as half the player base is eligible to get them. They also wouldn't be making such precise and deliberate tweaks to the weapon balancing of specific exotic weapons if their attack values were going to be immediately complete steps below all other weapons we will be encountering on the very day that those changes go into place.

If "year one exotics" (especially Hawkmoon, Monte Carlo, and Fourth Horseman) are not upgradeable after September 15th I will consider that to be without-a-doubt the biggest shock, and biggest error in judgment, of the entire year one history of this game.

I doubt they'd go through the trouble of rebalancing them (specifically Hawkmoon) if they were intending for them to be left in the dust. Pretty sure Exotics are marching forward.

I don't want to let go of my Facade helmet, though. Either they are completely overhauling Raid gear with new armors, or they have to at least make the existing ones worthwhile (they do have unique perks specific to their respective raid/enemies). Especially since we're still going to have the existing raids... right?

I don't care about having Max Light if I have to give up my favorite armors. Heck, just last night, I ran a Hard raid with my awesome White-rarity Firebreak gauntlets:

Isn't the re-balance mostly PvP-centric?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 14, 2015, 22:29 (3332 days ago) @ Korny

That wouldn't be at all impacted by damage rating.

Isn't the re-balance mostly PvP-centric?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, August 14, 2015, 23:39 (3332 days ago) @ ZackDark

That wouldn't be at all impacted by damage rating.

No. Sure, some of the weapon rebalancing is focused more on the PvP side, a lot of it is definitely PvE-centric. Overall, the weapon rebalamcing is clearly geared toward these weapons being used in all facets of the game going forward.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 04:16 (3331 days ago) @ Korny

Exotics are getting balance changes because of PvP, where they will still be useful regardless of attack. Gjallarhorn is getting the nerf because otherwise it would compete with year 2 rocket launchers at its current stats. I would not count on bringing your exotics with you nessesarily.

This. This is what I was talking about

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, August 15, 2015, 04:55 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All the actual balancing I've seen is PvP-centric. The Black Hammer and Gjallarhorn nerfs have, as far as I can tell, zero impact in PvP, but they're not balancing, they're weapon-breaking.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 05:30 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Exotics are getting balance changes because of PvP, where they will still be useful regardless of attack. Gjallarhorn is getting the nerf because otherwise it would compete with year 2 rocket launchers at its current stats. I would not count on bringing your exotics with you nessesarily.

Thorn has gotten a buff against PvE enemies with the multi-stack.
No Land Beyond is getting a substantial PvE buff,
Gjallarhorn's nerf is PvE-focused,
And Ice Breaker? I quote, "The recharging ammo of Ice Breaker has become a staple for the PvE game. We don’t want to completely destroy that..."

The plan for you to keep the weapons. Otherwise, why bother if they would be made obsolete by white-rarity weapons?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 05:48 (3331 days ago) @ Korny

The plan for you to keep the weapons. Otherwise, why bother if they would be made obsolete by white-rarity weapons?

Because when you first start Taken King, you will only have your year one guns.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 06:10 (3331 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because when you first start Taken King, you will only have your year one guns.

So they went through months of testing, tuning, and balancing... Just to make sure that they play a little differently just before you get rid of them?

by Kahzgul, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 06:43 (3331 days ago) @ Korny

Well, they will still be relevant for Crucible and any pre-TTK content.

As for weapon balances, they announced these changes *months* ago when they really were relevant, so the surprising thing to me is that they've delayed the rebalancing until TTK comes out rather than issuing a balance only patch.

I personally prefer when games that are complicated enough as to require rebalancing post-release do small, incremental balance changes weekly rather than huge sea changes once every 8 months. I mean, we've known Thorn is broken for a very, very long time.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:59 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I get what you mean. But (again, mostly just playing devil's advocate here) -- that's why they work, isn't it?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 20:13 (3332 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, I get what you mean. But (again, mostly just playing devil's advocate here) -- that's why they work, isn't it?

I wish there was a some statistics about this cause it never would have swayed me. I actually didn't know there were exclusives for Destiny until like 4 months in. Either way though, there was no way I was switching. I want to know how much this actually sways peoples decisions...

by Kahzgul, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:47 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I wish there was a some statistics about this cause it never would have swayed me. I actually didn't know there were exclusives for Destiny until like 4 months in. Either way though, there was no way I was switching. I want to know how much this actually sways peoples decisions...

I bought a PS4 purely for Destiny. In retrospect, I should not have. To avoid these mistakes in the future, I have taken a vow of never pre-ordering again.

That being said, Hawkmoon is *awesome* and it sucks that xbox players are basically left with Thorn or nothing in competitive PvP.

by Kahzgul, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:36 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The problem is, I highly doubt that Bungie is signing a new contract every year for exclusives. They could be. But either way, I don't think we could get enough frustrated people to make them stop doing it.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm gonna have to defend Bungie on this one. It's almost certainly and Activision and Sony deal rather than a Bungie and Sony deal. Marketing probably called Bungie and said "Hey, Sony is going to make us a pack-in game, pay for half of our advertising budget, and offer special support pricing on PS+ servers... so, uh, what can you give them for what's basically 100 million dollars? To which Bungie was like "two maps, a strike, two guns, and then some sets of crap armor no one will ever, and we mean ever care about."

I'd also wager that a degree of this "exclusive" deal was to keep Activision in Sony's good graces after all of the Call of Duty exclusives going to Microsoft. I hate that video game quality takes a backseat to corporate politics, but when it does, the developer is usually not the party to blame (in my professional experience).

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:54 (3332 days ago) @ Kahzgul

"Hey, Sony is going to make us a pack-in game, pay for half of our advertising budget, and offer special support pricing on PS+ servers... so, uh, what can you give them for what's basically 100 million dollars? To which Bungie was like "two maps, a strike, two guns, and then some sets of crap armor no one will ever, and we mean ever care about."

"Three maps, three strikes, Four guns, and then some sets of crap armor no one will ever, and we mean ever care about."

FTFY :P

I'd also wager that a degree of this "exclusive" deal was to keep Activision in Sony's good graces after all of the Call of Duty exclusives going to Microsoft. I hate that video game quality takes a backseat to corporate politics, but when it does, the developer is usually not the party to blame (in my professional experience).

I dunno. Sony's also got the CoD exclusivity now (Exclusive early Beta access and everything, too), so it seems like Activision and Sony are like this, son!
Which is even better, because they're finally doing the first good (Treyarch developed) Call of Duty game in years... But yeah, exclusivity deals suck. I'm going to have to wait a year before playing "Rise of the Tomb Raider", but it's likely going to come with all of the DLC, so it'll be worth the wait.

Best weapon is currently being sold by Xur.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:12 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Too bad it's not a primary.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:15 (3332 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Not with that attitude!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:19 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Not with that attitude!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:27 (3332 days ago) @ CyberKN

They should make a game type where you can put any weapon in your primary slot :-)

I must be playing the game wrong.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:27 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Ruin Wings are your friend...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:32 (3332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Heck, I even got a 15-kill spree exclusively with Gjallarhorn rockets.

Gally is love...

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, August 15, 2015, 02:15 (3331 days ago) @ Korny

As a gun nut, I would really like to see someone make a real functioning model of these guns that you could buy. Being a gamer and gun owner, it would be the coolest to have a real Last Word I could take to the range. I could see how this may not be a good idea though.

"________ killed with gun modeled after video game concept" would not make good press.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread