Analysis of Eighth

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 23:48 (3983 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 23:57

I've been looping Eighth and the music from Law of the Jungle over and over. Law of the Jungle's is probably better analyzed along with its video component, but Eighth, to me, is special. In a lot of ways, despite it being audio, I consider it to be our first look at Destiny. I can't imagine they threw up any random audio clip. This one, I think, has meaning. Here's what I hear:

In the first few seconds we get some sort of chimes. For a long time I considered them wind chimes. The wind sound behind them supports that. They start out slow then slowly build in intensity and complexity. Alternatively I could see them being some kind of baby crib melody chimes. Either way, the feeling I get from them is one of starting out small both in numbers and ability and then growing stronger and more complex. Humanity's rise from Earth to space perhaps?

The next part with the voices mirrors the chimes. The single voice expands to numerous voices. The rise of another race or power? The second rise of Humanit? Because we don't understand them, and because they feel unfamiliar as opposed to the strongly earthy/humanity-y chimes I think the voices are somehow alien. That aliens are mirroring Hunanity's rise could be interesting.

All together the song seems to walk an interesting line. I tried listening for hopes, threats, fears, or warnings but didn't hear any of those. What I hear is a maturing (of Humanity?) followed by a... worshipful increase in power of some other group. Alien's misguided worship was certainly a theme or at least a major story point in Halo...

At the end the voices fade, but I see this as the camera panning up, away from them... to the stars and not the voices getting weaker. Not sure why, but that's what I get from the end.

Anyway, it's a very interesting snippet of music and I can't wait to see how it relates to Destiny. Any thoughts?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread