Do I want Kinect? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 25, 2015, 13:33 (3116 days ago) @ stabbim

Ordinarily, I refuse to answer this question, since no one can tell you whether you want a Kinect. It just depends whether you'll use it or not.

Yep. That's hard to judge. I can tell you that I love mine and use it all the time. Here's my typical use:

"Xbox, on" sounds like it's totally stupid. How hard is it to hold a button on the controller? Well, I'll tell you: I can't remember the last time I turned my Xbox on without the voice command. It's really handy to say "Xbox, on" as you walk by the thing when you know you're going to play it in a minute, but you're getting a sandwich or putting something in the garbage or whatever.

All the simple voice commands are what really make it useful. Xbox, snap Party. Xbox, record that. Etc, etc. Granted, it sounds like with the redesigned UI coming next month (which is miles better than the old one, judging from my time with it!) will allow voice commands with a headset without a Kinect, so its major selling point for me will go away. I'm not sure I've ever used it my Kinect other than voice commands . . .

However, since you mentioned having two in the same room, I feel like that probably wouldn't work well. You might be ok with body tracking in actual games, since it's able to keep track of which people are holding controllers, and just interact with them. But the voice commands would probably get picked up by both consoles.

Yeah, I don't think that would work well. ):

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread