Met a bunch of guys who are into Destiny yesterday (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 10:11 (3158 days ago)

After the hard mode raid I went to get a gas station burrito. After, I went to Wal Mart to buy macaroni and cheese, and some cop ran my plates. Turns out I missed a court date some time in May, so I went to jail for the night.

Anyway, the dudes who booked me asked me how my day was because I am a friendly person, and mentioned that I was playing Destiny and Halo 5 all day after work. Apparently, two of them were super into Destiny and were having trouble getting past golgoroth. We talked Destiny while I was getting my fingerprints done until my friend came and picked me up.

It's weird finding people in real life with your hobbies and interests that you normally interact with only online. And, while they were aware of the subreddit, planet Destiny, and Bungie.org, they don't go on there much. They just play with their friends and learn about stuff by word of mouth.

That sounds like a really cool way to play Destiny, IMO. Like how everybody knows to blow into the Nintendo cartridge, I wonder if Destiny players pass knowledge around like that. The game must be a complete enigma to them.

I find I am enjoying the game a lot more when I don't spend much time on the subreddit and I just hear about stuff through chats with you guys. It's a lot of fun being a casual.

I didn't expect that story to go that way based on topic

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 10:54 (3158 days ago) @ Funkmon

But that is a really cool story. Sorry to hear about your run in with the 5-0

Met a bunch of guys who are into Destiny yesterday

by electricpirate @, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 11:44 (3158 days ago) @ Funkmon

Sorry bout the jailtime!

I sat next to a couple that plays Destiny on a stalled train the other week. Exact quote,

"So they say the baby can hear sounds in the womb, does that mean she'll be born saying Destiny sayings?"
"Her first cry is going to be "BANG BANG BANG""

Ha!

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 14:56 (3158 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

I've only ever had the opposite impression

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 12:19 (3158 days ago) @ Funkmon

First off

Turns out I missed a court date some time in May, so I went to jail for the night.

And that's why you always leave a note. Seriously, a no show note could have saved you there. anyway...

I keep running into some buddies who play destiny but I don't play with, but everytime I talk to them, they seem to use the subreddit or guides religiously. I got the impression that they check youtube and guides before doing raids, exotics, etc. Which I think is more of a generational thing (they're a couple years younger than me), but they could just not care about blind runs and the like.

Also, fun fact, talking to a coworker about destiny a few weeks ago and found out he's in TTL. It's a small world after all.

I've only ever had the opposite impression

by Funkmon @, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 14:24 (3158 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

At astronomy club, a lot of students played it early on, and they told me all about the twitch guys and Datto, and were well versed in the subreddit. I haven't heard it talked about since HoW though. I wonder if it's got a lot to do with tech savvy crowds.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 13:35 (3158 days ago) @ Funkmon

I love that this is your "I met a bunch of guys who are into Destiny" story and not your "I spent the night in fucking jail" story ;p

Seriously though, that must've been intense!

So, I was chatting with St. Peter, and it turns out…

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, October 30, 2015, 17:06 (3157 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah. Alternate title: "I'm mind-bogglingly chill about incarceration."

by Tex @, Thursday, October 29, 2015, 14:40 (3158 days ago) @ Funkmon

Turns out I missed a court date some time in May, so I went to jail for the night.

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread