Your mom backing up (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 22:35 (3084 days ago) @ Korny

Pro-tip: at most, only fast travel between your Workbenches, walk everywhere else. I've run into so much fun stuff that I missed out on the first few days of playing it. Right now I'm inside a weird Quarry-like place that has Metro: Last Light-style flashbacks. Pretty neat.

This is the only way I play Bethesda games. Without limiting myself in some way like that, it's too easy to fall into the trap of fast traveling to and from every quest, and the game devolves into a sort of checklist of chores, as determined by the quest log.

In Skyrim, I only fast traveled between cities. In Fallout 4, I only fast travel between my settlements (and Diamond City), and even then only rarely because eventually you get so many that even that isn't very limiting.

It's just another reason that I love Morrowind the most out of all the Bethesda games. It had fast travel, but it was baked into the game in an in-universe way. Teleportation between all the Mage's Guilds. Taking a boat from port to port. The Silt Striders. And the one I used all the time, the Mark and Recall spells. I placed a Mark Spell at my mansion in Balmora and could use Recall to warp there. So it never felt like "cheating" to fast travel.

I just finished the main quest line (with the Brotherhood) on my first character, after 37 hours. Didn't do much extra, as I actually found the main quest line pretty compelling. I just started a new character and plan to spend my time exploring more, and delving into the settlement system for real. Not sure what faction I'll play for this time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread