Assassin's Creed: Syndicate 50% off today! (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 16:20 (3070 days ago)

Amazing game. It is like GTA: Victorian London with Parkour

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 16:35 (3070 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Some of the history is massively suspect but easily worth the $30.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 16:36 (3070 days ago) @ Funkmon

How does it compare to the other games? I started getting burned out on them so I don't think I want to spend more money on this one...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 17:46 (3070 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

How does it compare to the other games? I started getting burned out on them so I don't think I want to spend more money on this one...

I was hugely dissapointed by Syndicate. I feel like Ubisoft has completely lost sight of what made the older AC games fun. This video from Gamespot nails my complaints with it:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/breaking-up-with-assassins-creed-the-point/2300-6427788/

The only point I disagree with is AC Black Flag; I think that's a fantastic game. My favorite AC game since 2 :)

AC4 is a great game, but not a very good AC game...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 17:51 (3070 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

I should have read this before I posted below

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:02 (3070 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

No idea. It's my first game. Love it.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 19:40 (3070 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

And for the Paddies, Battlefront: Han Solo Minifridge- $100

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 16:42 (3070 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Rise of the Tomb Raider is $39

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 17:23 (3070 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Xbox-One/dp/B00KVRNIQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1449602556&...

I bought it last week (bummer, should have waited), and I'm enjoying it.

Amazing game :D

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 17:46 (3070 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Tomb Raider questions

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:00 (3070 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I really wanted to like the last Tomb Raider - the reboot. I downloaded it a few months back when it was free with Xbox Gold, and I played it while I waited for TTK. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it wasn't what I was expecting, or maybe it felt too much like a horror game (not my cup of tea), or maybe it just felt overwhelming.

So... is this new one any different? Less horror like? More action? Just looking for some comparisons. Thanks!

Tomb Raider questions

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:07 (3070 days ago) @ Oholiab

I really wanted to like the last Tomb Raider - the reboot. I downloaded it a few months back when it was free with Xbox Gold, and I played it while I waited for TTK. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it wasn't what I was expecting, or maybe it felt too much like a horror game (not my cup of tea), or maybe it just felt overwhelming.

So... is this new one any different? Less horror like? More action? Just looking for some comparisons. Thanks!

No. If you didn't like the 2013 reboot, I can't see this one changing your mind. It's basically the same game in a different environment with some added tombs (which aren't big or challenging enough to be a game seller).

I'm only about halfway through the story, if that matters, but I think that's far enough to say that it's not really much different from the first.

Tomb Raider questions

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:13 (3070 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, there's still a supernatural element. The new game looks amazing and has a pair of large hub areas that are very very explorable but the overall story progression is again Laura vs modern armed enemies who themselves are trying to get their hands on the supernatural.

Tomb Raider questions

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:14 (3070 days ago) @ Oholiab

Same formula: Get lost/separated from your friends. Lone Wolf it in search for lost Macguffin. loot tombs/relics/journals (this time the journals are from long-lost Cold War Soviet soldiers, instead of WWII Japanese Soldiers).

I never thought of it as a horror story, interesting take. Always felt like Indiana Jones to me. Trying to beat the bad guys to a mystical artifact, while breaking stuff and blowing shit up in the process.

Your reviews?

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 17:56 (3070 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I LOVE the Assassin's Creed Series, but haven't played since Black Flag. In fact, I haven't finished it because Destiny came along.

How does Syndicate compare to the best of the series (in my opinion, ACII and Black Flag)?

So ... about AC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:09 (3070 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Just because I've heard good things, I've managed, through sales and used copies, to acquire almost every Assassin's Creed game without spending much money. Haven't played a minute of any of them.

What's worth the time?

So ... about AC

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:15 (3070 days ago) @ Kermit

Just because I've heard good things, I've managed, through sales and used copies, to acquire almost every Assassin's Creed game without spending much money. Haven't played a minute of any of them.

What's worth the time?

Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood, and Black Flag are the only ones worth playing, in my opinion. The very first one was pretty decent at the time, but hasn't aged well. 2 and Brotherhood (which is basically just a full game expansion for 2) basically set the tone for the rest of the series, and the gameplay hasn't really changed at all since then, so they hold up pretty well.

Black Flag is more of the same, but the pirate stuff is so good that it's worth playing for that. Sailing around doing piratey things is just fun, and, in all honesty, that could have been the entire game and I'd have been happier.

I used to love Assassin's Creed, but, as CruelLEGACY said, I feel like they've really forgotten what made AC fun and good.

In all fairness, I haven't played Unity or Syndicate, so I can't speak for those.

nice to hear I'm not alone in my thinking!

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:21 (3070 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

AC 2 is still the standout in my mind . . .

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:47 (3070 days ago) @ Oholiab

It really nailed everything, I think.

There were tons of things to do, but without all the excessive overcrowding of crap from the later games. The story was engaging (both the present and past time periods), and the map exploration was great. It felt awesome when a new section of the map opened up. That was when "syncing" from the towers still felt special somehow.

Also, the puzzles (glyphs?) you find really added to the mystique of the whole game and setting. And the challenge tomb things (I can't remember what they're called!) were really nice.

I suppose Revelations was a pretty decent wrap up to that arc, but it came out so soon after Brotherhood. It was sort of the beginning of the series starting to feel a bit stale.

This echos my thoughts as well. I would add AC2 Brotherhood.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:50 (3070 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

This echos my thoughts as well. I would add AC2 Brotherhood.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 19:20 (3070 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Brotherhood was my favorite (with 2 right behind). You could ride horses straight into the city, there was lots of countryside to explore, Ezio felt like a hero, the soundtrack was beautiful, and I absolutely loved collecting the art.

Revelations diminished my interest and none of the games since has caught my eye.

The soundtracks!

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 05:09 (3070 days ago) @ Leviathan

Brotherhood was my favorite (with 2 right behind). You could ride horses straight into the city, there was lots of countryside to explore, Ezio felt like a hero, the soundtrack was beautiful, and I absolutely loved collecting the art.

I totally forgot! Yes - the soundtracks are fantastic - at least the early games that Jesper Kid composed. I felt like he nailed the feeling and setting of the game.

I did!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 22:19 (3070 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I did mention Brotherhood in my first post. When talking about AC2, I always sort of just assume Brotherhood is part of that as well, just because of the way it's set up. And it's been long enough that, honestly, I'm never sure which one I'm actually talking about. They might as well be the same game in my head.

2 & Brotherhood

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 22:25 (3070 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Are very similar. Brotherhood has the added "brotherhood" mechanics where you can train up operatives, send them on quests, or when you have enough in the city, unleash that torrent of arrows.

One of them had the Da Vinci DLC which was fun.

I can't remember why, but Revelations just didn't have the same appeal for me.

2 & Brotherhood

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 23:30 (3070 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Are very similar. Brotherhood has the added "brotherhood" mechanics where you can train up operatives, send them on quests, or when you have enough in the city, unleash that torrent of arrows.

To me, Revelations was the first time the AC series shifted gears with the way it presented the open world. AC2 and Brotherhood opened up very slowly, introducing new elements, activities, and mechanics organically as you progressed through the story. Revelations was the first entry to basically throw you into a city with a whole bunch of objectives and mission markers on your map and say "go nuts". It's the formula all open world Ubisoft games have followed since, and it's a real shame IMO.

2 & Brotherhood

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 00:26 (3070 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

To me, Revelations was the first time the AC series shifted gears with the way it presented the open world. AC2 and Brotherhood opened up very slowly, introducing new elements, activities, and mechanics organically as you progressed through the story. Revelations was the first entry to basically throw you into a city with a whole bunch of objectives and mission markers on your map and say "go nuts". It's the formula all open world Ubisoft games have followed since, and it's a real shame IMO.

I was fine with that aspect, personally. I tend to prefer game worlds being open at (or near) the start like GTA V, Elder Scrolls, etc. Especially with a sequel.

My problem with Revelations was that the whole game felt... unnecessary? It didn't take a step back, so that's good, but it also didn't take a step forward... More like it took a step sideways. The historic story had some interesting parts, especially Ezio and Altair 'meeting', but large parts of it felt like more of the same. Design-wise and art direction as well. Constantinople was just Rome with a different skybox essentially.

My main enthusiasm-killer was the out-of-animus story which essentially put the parking break on and threw those first-person platforming levels at you to buy some time. Which is the opposite speed of pacing a player wants after the cliffhanger ending of Brotherhood, an ending which was still never resolved even though I had completed a whole another entry in the series! It would have been like ODST coming out in the place of Halo 3!

When I heard Ezio was going away, I thought it'd be best to say goodbye to the series for a while (even though I still never knew what happened after that cliffhanger). I have sunk a few fun pirate-y hours into Black Flag since I got it free with Gold, but it still doesn't have the characters or story to draw me in.

I always thought it would be cool is you found out Desmond was an ancestor of another character - an animus in an animus, and eventually you'd get Assassin's Creed in the future.

So ... about AC

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 04:10 (3070 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's interesting to me to hear so much praise for AC2. I haven't really followed the series' progress much, but I recently played AC2 because it was free on XBL, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to know I'm not alone there.

Where I am apparently alone is on the original game. Admittedly, I haven't played it since it was (relatively) new, but I remember it being good, at least story-wise. Hard to remember the gameplay specifics, but my opinion is that it's worth playing just for that element. Especially if you already have it, as appears to be the case for Kermit.

Those are actually the only 2 I've played.

So ... about AC

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 05:03 (3070 days ago) @ stabbim

It's interesting to me to hear so much praise for AC2. I haven't really followed the series' progress much, but I recently played AC2 because it was free on XBL, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to know I'm not alone there.

Agreed!

Where I am apparently alone is on the original game. Admittedly, I haven't played it since it was (relatively) new, but I remember it being good, at least story-wise. Hard to remember the gameplay specifics, but my opinion is that it's worth playing just for that element. Especially if you already have it, as appears to be the case for Kermit.

I may be exaggerating, but I recall the first game was really groundbreaking in a lot of ways. The "puppeteering" gameplay was innovative, and the initial cutscenes had me wondering if I had bought the wrong game. That was pretty fun.

What wasn't fun was the lack of "fast-travel" that came with AC2. You literally had to ride your horse (or walk) the entire way (in game distance) from one town, through a central open area, to another town. As you progressed in the game, this became really tedious.

Side note: I would echo everyone else about including Brotherhood in the list.

Those are actually the only 2 I've played.

I have not played AC3 (American Revolution), nor the one with the polar pirate story, nor Unity. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

So ... about AC

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 12:28 (3070 days ago) @ Oholiab

Agreed!

I may be exaggerating, but I recall the first game was really groundbreaking in a lot of ways. The "puppeteering" gameplay was innovative, and the initial cutscenes had me wondering if I had bought the wrong game. That was pretty fun.

What wasn't fun was the lack of "fast-travel" that came with AC2. You literally had to ride your horse (or walk) the entire way (in game distance) from one town, through a central open area, to another town. As you progressed in the game, this became really tedious.

I would agree that AC1 is probably worth at least trying, but I just don't think it's aged very well. And even when it was new, it was interesting and fun (in ways) but the systems weren't really completely developed. AC2 is one of those rare games where the sequel really expanded upon an idea and made what was only interesting and novel into something fun. A few of the actual assassinations in AC1 are still some of the best, actually. I think that's a big part where the series actually got worse as time went on. In the first they were challenging and interesting . . . towards the end you didn't have to do anything other thank walk straight up to your target and stab him then run away.

I have not played AC3 (American Revolution), nor the one with the polar pirate story, nor Unity. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Black Flag is great, but just because of the pirate stuff (for me, anyway). The normal AC gameplay is largely the same (but without a large city to actually climb around in, it definitely suffers). But the ship to ship stuff was novel enough to really make that game fun. It's also incredibly pretty at times.

AC3 was bad in just about every way imaginable; I don't think I made it halfway through that game before I quit.

Just play the second one

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 18:16 (3070 days ago) @ Kermit

Confession: I minored in History while majoring in Architecture. My favorite time periods were Ancient, Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Guilded Age (really). As a result, Assassin's Creed appeals to me on a number of levels.

I also really enjoy games that allow me to explore - or better, in this case - ENCOURAGE me to explore. AC does that well. Likewise, I enjoy a good story (see my recent beef with KF), and AC has a pretty good one. At least it did with that particular story arc.

The first game is cumbersome, and the latter games get too complex. In my ignorant opinion, the second game gets everything right - story, explanation, stealth gameplay. Black Flag is unique and doesn't compare well, but it's a beautiful game with a lot of the same simpler gameplay elements from ACII

It may not be for you, but I would play again.

Thanks for the info!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 19:13 (3070 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll get to them sometime--probably when they're backward compatible. I think AC II is now.

Thanks for the info!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 22:21 (3070 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll get to them sometime--probably when they're backward compatible. I think AC II is now.

I was just going to try and find that out! All this talk has me really wanting to play through AC II again, and see if it it's actually as good as I remember. I played through it again just a bit before Black Flag came out and still loved it, so I think it should hold up pretty well.

AC2 & brotherhood

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 20:04 (3070 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread