Gaming Confessions . . . (and seeking opinions) (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 16:54 (3067 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:19

So, I was listening to the most recent The Patch and the Ready Up Live podcast earlier today. The Patch talked about Half-Life, and Cruel was talking about Battlefront II on RUL. This, along with the discussion Korny and I had about not giving games enough time to sink in, led me to thinking about games I have missed out on over the years.

I have never played Half-Life 2. I have never played Battlefront II (other than a handful of matches at a friend's house when it was new). Which led to me to thinking about how I've never played Republic Commando, which everyone apparently loved. I never played Knights of the Old Republic II, despite absolutely loving the first one.

So, that's my confession, and now I ask a question.

Are any of these games worth playing at this point, if I've never played them before? Do they hold up? They're all cheap enough on Steam. Hell, you can probably get all of those games together for twenty bucks. Should I? What other old games hold up well and are still worth visiting today (that can be easily obtained)?

And, just as a discussion starter: what are your gaming confessions? What games have you missed over the years?

P.S. I never played Pyschonauts, other than the demo (which game on the OXM demo disc, maybe?). That's been in the news recently, obviously, and made me feel a little guilty that I didn't play an apparently pretty cool game.

EDIT: Also, I've never played Final Fantasy VII, so I'm actually kinda interested in the remake. I know it's not the "pure" way to play it, but I tried to play the real FFVII a few years ago, and just couldn't get past the age of it and gave up after a very short amount of time.

Gaming Confessions . . . (and seeking opinions)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:00 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have never played Half-Life 2.
Are any of these games worth playing at this point, if I've never played them before? Do they hold up?

Yes, this is worth playing.

P.S. I never played Pyschonauts, other than the demo (which game on the OXM demo disc, maybe?). That's been in the news recently, obviously, and made me feel a little guilty that I didn't play an apparently pretty cool game.

A couple of most loved not-terribly-popular games are:

1- No One Lives Forever (1 & 2)
2- Psychonauts

I've never known anyone who's played them that hasn't liked them. Psychonauts was a little slow to get started (for me), but once it got going it was amazing.

And, just as a discussion starter: what are your gaming confessions? What games have you missed over the years?

I have a nerd/geek reading confession, I've never read the Lord of the Rings. I've read the Hobbit many times, even as a pretty young kid, but never got around to LotR.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:17 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

Are any of these games worth playing at this point, if I've never played them before? Do they hold up?

I kinda figured H-L2 is a no brainer. I just never had a gaming PC for it, and I didn't really care by the time the Orange Box came around.

2- Psychonauts

I've never even heard of No One Lives Forever; I'll have to look into it.

I have a nerd/geek reading confession, I've never read the Lord of the Rings. I've read the Hobbit many times, even as a pretty young kid, but never got around to LotR.

Wow. That's crazy. I would highly recommend it, but I'm biased, as I set aside time to read through the Lord of the Rings about once a year or so. Just don't go in expecting it to read anything like The Hobbit does. I can understand why a lot of people don't like Tolkien's writing style in LotR. For some people, it's a real over-descriptive slog. For me, it's just amazing. I don't think I've ever read another book that has drawn me in so hard and so fast.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:24 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

2- Psychonauts

You might have a little difficulty finding a copy of NOLF, but it's worth acquiring. http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

Wow. That's crazy. I would highly recommend it, but I'm biased, as I set aside time to read through the Lord of the Rings about once a year or so. Just don't go in expecting it to read anything like The Hobbit does. I can understand why a lot of people don't like Tolkien's writing style in LotR. For some people, it's a real over-descriptive slog. For me, it's just amazing. I don't think I've ever read another book that has drawn me in so hard and so fast.

Yeah, I plan on reading it. Definitely on my bucket list. Another thing on my bucket list is to finish the Wheel of Time series. I stopped reading it back in the late 90s because I was sick of waiting years for the next book & decided to just wait & re-read the whole thing once it was finished. I always joked that Robert Jordan would die before finishing the series because in one of the "about the authors" he said he would be writing until they put the last nail in his coffin.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:39 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

2- Psychonauts

You might have a little difficulty finding a copy of NOLF, but it's worth acquiring. http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing that. Kind of unfortunate it had to come to that.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:18 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

2- Psychonauts

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing that. Kind of unfortunate it had to come to that.

Interesting. I worked at Fox Interactive on NOLF and NOLF 2.

Here's my take: The story has its facts right, but I actually doubt Monolith (or, by extension, WB) have any actual rights to NOLF. Fox Interactive didn't work that way. If you were published by FI, FI owned the rights to everything IP related. There is at least one game that never saw the light of day (Alien: Evolution, for the original Gameboy) because Konami developed it but refused to relinquish all publishing rights to FI, so FI simply refused to publish, effectively shelving the game. Anyway, my point is that FI owned the rights to the IP. Monolith would still own the LithTech engine, so they'd have to license that for use from WB, but that would be standard and is not exclusive to NOLF in any way.

Anyway, when FI sold out to Vivendi, Vivendi would have acquired the rights to the NOLF IP. Following that, when Vivendi merged with Activision, Activision would have acquired those rights as well. There are a couple of guys still at ATVI who worked at FI back when I was there and can probably corroborate this story.

TL;DR: ATVI almost certainly owns the NOLF IP, WB owns the LithTech engine, it would be great to see the games rebooted; they're awesome.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:39 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

Another thing on my bucket list is to finish the Wheel of Time series. I stopped reading it back in the late 90s because I was sick of waiting years for the next book & decided to just wait & re-read the whole thing once it was finished. I always joked that Robert Jordan would die before finishing the series because in one of the "about the authors" he said he would be writing until they put the last nail in his coffin.

The series really started to lag around the last two or three of Robert Jordan's books, but really picked up when Brandon Sanderson was called in to wrap up the series after Jordan's passing (that sounds like a weird indie game title if I've ever heard one). The final book in the series is absolutely amazing and wraps up the series pretty well.

-Disciple

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:44 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah, I plan on reading it. Definitely on my bucket list. Another thing on my bucket list is to finish the Wheel of Time series. I stopped reading it back in the late 90s because I was sick of waiting years for the next book & decided to just wait & re-read the whole thing once it was finished. I always joked that Robert Jordan would die before finishing the series because in one of the "about the authors" he said he would be writing until they put the last nail in his coffin.

I somehow missed the Wheel of Time books when they came out; I got into Brandon Sanderson last year, and started the WoT series at the beginning, a few months ago, because I wanted to eventually read the Sanderson entries.

I'm about 4 books in now; it's quite good, but slow going. (I read a bunch of other stuff in the middle - sort of a side effect of getting these as library books. The next one isn't always available when you're ready for it. ;) )

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 03:30 (3067 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I somehow missed the Wheel of Time books when they came out; I got into Brandon Sanderson last year, and started the WoT series at the beginning, a few months ago, because I wanted to eventually read the Sanderson entries.

I'm about 4 books in now; it's quite good, but slow going. (I read a bunch of other stuff in the middle - sort of a side effect of getting these as library books. The next one isn't always available when you're ready for it. ;) )

Speak of the devil! Heading into book 3 of WoT. My brother and best friend have talked about it since middle school and I finally gave in this summer. Compared to what I was reading before it (Dostoevsky), Wheel of Time feels like a fast-paced, cheesy action movie, hah. But I'm having a lot of fun with it!

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:06 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

Hey, I worked on those! You're welcome!

2- Psychonauts

I've never known anyone who's played them that hasn't liked them. Psychonauts was a little slow to get started (for me), but once it got going it was amazing.

LotR is legitimate literature. It's not a just a must-read for the story; it will change your understanding of the beauty of the English language.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:08 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

LotR is legitimate literature. It's not a just a must-read for the story; it will change your understanding of the beauty of the English language.

Not to mention the other languages Tolkien created just for shits and giggles.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:17 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Well done. They were great. Remind me what you do in games again. My guesses are: 1-writing, 2-coding.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:19 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

Well done. They were great. Remind me what you do in games again. My guesses are: 1-writing, 2-coding.

I was a QA test team lead. I don't believe I was even credited to NOLF because I wasn't lead on those projects, but was just "on loan" helping out the other teams.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:20 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I was a QA test team lead. I don't believe I was even credited to NOLF because I wasn't lead on those projects, but was just "on loan" helping out the other teams.

Dangit, that was my #3 or #4 guess. lol. :)

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:22 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

Dangit, that was my #3 or #4 guess. lol. :)

Well, since then I've come a long way in both the writing and storytelling fields, so I'm pretty happy that was one of your top guesses. I'm a pretty weak coder, but I can read code, which made my testing at the production level very effective since I could usually just point out where in the code the errors were.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, December 15, 2015, 18:36 (3063 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If the dry verbosity doesn't just make you sleepy, that is.

I've read The Hobbit many times, but I've never been able to get excited enough to finish LotR. It might just be me there, though.

Now, I don't have terribly many games that I really missed out on, short basically the last couple generations of Nintendo home-console content. Metroid Prime 3 was a game I was told was spectacular but just never played. Though on a tangent there are a lot of "classics" I didn't enjoy enough to finish (or don't think are as good as they're claimed to be by some after finishing them) but that's a whole separate mess. It's where someone gets mad at me for thinking Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time are middling points for late 90's gaming.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:19 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've never played Half-Life at all. I actually have the disc for the first game (someone gave it to me a couple years ago) but I've just never decided to sit down and do it.

Even in its original state, I absolutely think KotOR II is worth playing. It's true that it's missing some things, and as a result the latter part of the game has a lot of just text-based exposition. But I also found the story really interesting, maybe even more so than the original. It raises some very interesting questions about the nature of The Force, and fills you in a lot on the Mandalorian Wars. And each of the titular Sith Lords is quite interesting.

All that said, there is now the "restored content mod" which I believe is made available for it on Steam as well. It's supposed to bring in a lot of the original cut content.

Also...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:25 (3067 days ago) @ stabbim

I know I never finished Psychonauts, but I don't remember why. I might have gotten distracted playing something else, or I might have quite on purpose. No idea.

Also...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:25 (3067 days ago) @ stabbim

I know I never finished Psychonauts, but I don't remember why. I might have gotten distracted playing something else, or I might have quite on purpose. No idea.

The last level on Psychonauts was actually a bit difficult in spots.

If you play HL1, play the updated source version

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:59 (3067 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

HL2 - Yes. Psychonauts - Maybe

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:20 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Half Life 2 is a lot of fun, has a great story, and I think the gameplay holds up pretty well. I'd highly recommend playing it if you're cool with the game ending with a cliffhanger that will likely never be resolved.

Psychonauts is goofy and fun and has a pretty fun story, but I absolutely loathe the controls on this one. I'm pretty sure Psychonauts' jumping puzzles are what trained me to think it's OK to scream and swear at a video game. I'd personally rather watch someone play through the game than go through playing it again myself.

-Disciple

HL2 - Yes. Psychonauts - Maybe

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, December 13, 2015, 04:05 (3066 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Half Life 2 is a lot of fun, has a great story, and I think the gameplay holds up pretty well. I'd highly recommend playing it if you're cool with the game ending with a cliffhanger that will likely never be resolved.

The juxtaposition between exciting and quiet moments in that game is so good, especially at the end with you know who and the you know what and just ACK!

Gravity Gun alone makes HL2 worth playing

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:25 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

This^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:33 (3067 days ago) @ Xenos

It's really great. Great setting, gameplay, and story.

This^^

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:03 (3067 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Portal 2 was amazing.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:03 (3067 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Portal 2 was amazing.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:33 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The Portal series falls into that very small category of near-perfect games for me. Better than Half-Life 2--the writing in Portal 2 in particular.

Portal 2 was amazing.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:43 (3067 days ago) @ Kermit

The Portal series falls into that very small category of near-perfect games for me. Better than Half-Life 2--the writing in Portal 2 in particular.

Yeah, it was just plain simple, funny, interesting story line. It wasn't grandiose, it was just plain good.

So was the official strategy guide!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:16 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

What's your opinion on the 2007 Guinness World Records book?

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:23 (3067 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Uninspiring prose, cliches and form-writing abound. 2/5

by Quirel, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 04:44 (3067 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, December 11, 2015, 17:50 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So, I was listening to the most recent The Patch and the Ready Up Live podcast earlier today. The Patch talked about Half-Life, and Cruel was talking about Battlefront II on RUL. This, along with the discussion Korny and I had about not giving games enough time to sink in, led me to thinking about games I have missed out on over the years.

I have never played Half-Life 2. I have never played Battlefront II (other than a handful of matches at a friend's house when it was new). Which led to me to thinking about how I've never played Republic Commando, which everyone apparently loved. I never played Knights of the Old Republic II, despite absolutely loving the first one.

Are any of these games worth playing at this point, if I've never played them before? Do they hold up? They're all cheap enough on Steam. Hell, you can probably get all of those games together for twenty bucks. Should I? What other old games hold up well and are still worth visiting today (that can be easily obtained)?

Half-Life 2 is a great, solid FPS but I never felt it was the greatest game ever. It has some great characters and art direction, but the story doesn't really go anywhere.

I just played Republic Commando for the first time last year and enjoyed it.

Knights of the Old Republic II has some great parts and some parts that are literally missing. It was made by a different studio rather quickly (Obsidian, like how they tackled Fallout New Vegas for Bethesda) and had a lot of cut content. But there's some really neat story directions.

In regards to your question of holding up, or if they feel dated... I think that really depends on the player. For me, I can easily jump between systems and generations, appreciating them for what they were and finding avenues in which they excel over modern trends, though sometimes it takes twenty minutes to get used to the changes.

The graphics may have less fidelity, for example, but the art direction might be more unique. Controls may be clunky but the world may actually be more explorable. More specifically, I find the lack of voice acting in older games, like classic Final Fantasies, to be more immersive than a lot of modern games because my imagination creates the voices perfectly and convincingly in my head. A lot of non-AAA game demos I try on Xbox One would really benefit from just leaving out the stiff voice acting, I think.

In some ways that relates to the deeper immersion I sometimes feel with 'simpler' graphics. The less realistic the graphics, the more my brain reads them as representation instead of the actual thing. My imagination then fills in the gaps and enriches that game world a thousand fold. Compare that to the more realistic graphics of today and you'll find those gaps are much smaller - so small that your brain doesn't read it as representation anymore and when there IS a crack in the realism, it's actually distracting. When Assassin's Creed is huge and epic and detailed it's awe-inspiring, but when you look at a character up close and their eyes are dead they feel less human than MegaMan. In older games, your imagination was as much a part of the graphics engine as the game itself.

...I guess it's kind of the Uncanny Valley affect now that I wrote it down. Huh!

-I thought the art direction and setting of Bioshock was fantastic but I quit after a few days because I just wasn't having fun. :/

-I haven't played a Call of Duty since they took place in WWII.

Can't think of any others at the moment, mostly because I just plan on getting to them at some point, preferably when they're old news and I can afford them! Someday I'd like to get a PS3 and try all the exclusives I missed in the last decade, too.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:30 (3067 days ago) @ Leviathan

Half-Life 2 is a great, solid FPS but I never felt it was the greatest game ever. It has some great characters and art direction, but the story doesn't really go anywhere.

As a Marathon fan I was shocked when people raved about the story in HL1. I mean, yes, it had lots more to it than Doom, but really, where was the character development? Where were the characters? Great game, great atmosphere, it teased some lore, but really, story wise, it was kind of flat for me.

HL2 got much better.

I can't wait until it wraps up in HL2 Episode 3!

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:31 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

My confession

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:36 (3067 days ago) @ Funkmon

I never played episode 2. Guess I should.

Yep! Lots of cool outdoor environments!

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:47 (3067 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

KoTor 2

by electricpirate @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:03 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I always skpiied it due to some meh reviews, specifically over a feeling that the game just ends without resolution. Apparently masses of stuff was cut, which some teams polished up and restored. If you are going to play it's worth trying that.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

KoTor 2

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Friday, December 11, 2015, 20:14 (3067 days ago) @ electricpirate

Replayed it this year after it got it's modernization patch (it ran like shit on modern systems until this), and Steam Workshop support. I definitively recommend using the patch if you're going to check it out. It's mostly small stuff added back but it adds up to make the experience much better. Unfortunately the ending is still weak, though better, but the game itself is great.

Overall I like it better than KotOR 1, though only slightly. The rushed development hurt it a lot more than New Vegas. If Obsidian would have had the extended time to finish KotOR it would have been looked at a lot more fondly. If anything I think it's a bit more replayable than 1, since a lot of the first game's appeal is built on top of the twist.

KoTor 2

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 22:52 (3067 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

Overall I like it better than KotOR 1, though only slightly. The rushed development hurt it a lot more than New Vegas. If Obsidian would have had the extended time to finish KotOR it would have been looked at a lot more fondly. If anything I think it's a bit more replayable than 1, since a lot of the first game's appeal is built on top of the twist.

I love the gameplay of KotOR 1, but it just takes so long to get fun on another playthrough. You spend so long on Taris, which just isn't that great. I love the process of becoming a Jedi in that game; it's definitely my favorite section.

I can't remember why I never played KotOR II. I think I remember hearing about some of it's issues and that it had some bad glitches, so I decided to wait, then never got back around to it.

KoTor 2

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 11, 2015, 23:37 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I love the gameplay of KotOR 1, but it just takes so long to get fun on another playthrough. You spend so long on Taris, which just isn't that great. I love the process of becoming a Jedi in that game; it's definitely my favorite section.

I can't remember why I never played KotOR II. I think I remember hearing about some of it's issues and that it had some bad glitches, so I decided to wait, then never got back around to it.

I love both games, but only played KotoR a couple times, while I played KotoR 2 from start to finish about 15 times. It's a bit more rough around the edges than the first one, but I found the combat more interesting and the way you could mild and shape your companions over the course of the game added huge replay value. It's a game that almost gets better the more you replay it.

KoTor 2

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 05:46 (3067 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

the way you could mild and shape your companions over the course of the game added huge replay value. It's a game that almost gets better the more you replay it.

I replayed it several times for the same reason. Some of the requirements for getting the companions to go one way or the other are pretty steep - like you have to have them with you at certain points and influence them certain ways in conversation, so it's difficult and/or impossible to get ALL of them the way you'd want to see them in the same playthrough.

I can't finish Doom 3 because it's too scary.

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:34 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I try about once a year to go back and do it but I am just way too effing scared.

As for your thing, HL2 you should play. The others you're fine in missing.

I feel the same way about Dead Space

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:41 (3067 days ago) @ Funkmon

I try about once a year to go back and do it but I am just way too effing scared.

Yeah, I almost feel the same way about Deadspace. I played the second one in the winter time and there was just no good time to play it in the day time. So I just shit my pants every time I decided to play it at night.

Also, I thought dead space was a really good game. And I hate horror movies and stuff like that. And this game was scary. But it was also really good. The game mechanics were interesting and the plot was decently unique. And on hard mode it was REALLY hard.

Silent Hill 2?

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:27 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It's the only game that really got in my head. There's a part with stairs, and when I realized where I was going I said, "fuck this," threw the controller across the room, turned off the game (without saving) and didn't turn the xbox back on for a week.

Crappy demo kept me from ever playing Dead Space.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, December 11, 2015, 20:34 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Time has almost certainly corrupted this memory, but all I remember of the demo was walking around a fairly generic looking space ship for ten or fifteen minutes, picking up a few random and interesting looking weapons here and there, and then getting dropped into an open hangar or cafeteria kind of area with lots of stuff coming at me from everywhere and very little ammo to deal with them. After a few attempts, I managed to take out the horde and was prompted to make my way into the next area.

Determined not to let ammo be the deciding factor in the next big fight, I spent a good fifteen minutes scouring every corner of that room. I dug up a fair amount of ammo and a few new toys that I was looking forward to trying out and finally followed my HUD to the next area...where the demo ended.

That pissed me off enough that, even after 7 years of raving reviews for Dead Space and its successors, I've never even been remotely interested in checking it out.

-Disciple

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:25 (3067 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was the playthrough guy when testing Doom 3. The whole game, start to finish, takes 3 hours and 45 minutes to complete. If you're playing on the original Xbox, every cutscene is rendered in-engine. Which means that, in order to render a cutscene, they have to despawn every enemy on the board. So the way to play is to memorize which areas trigger cutscenes when you enter them, run through the whole level spawning in as many enemies as possible, trigger the cutscene to despawn them all, and then go back and pick up all the ammo and items.

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:41 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That's amazing. I love it! I thought the story was like 15 hours at least!

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 20:08 (3067 days ago) @ Funkmon

Well, it's probably much longer if you don't skip the cutscenes.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 08:22 (3063 days ago) @ Funkmon

That's amazing. I love it! I thought the story was like 15 hours at least!

Only if you listen to every audio diary.

Wow

by TheeChaos @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 23:28 (3067 days ago) @ Funkmon

I love scary games, and I havent had a good one in awhile. The last few Silent Hills have been more comical to me than scary. I was SO upset when the announced that Silent Hills wasn't coming out. The PT Demo had me scared to death. I was playing in the middle of the day, and still was scared as hell. It takes REALLY good design to create an atmosphere of horror, and the PT demo was by far the best I had ever experienced.

I loved Doom 3, Older Silent Hills, the first Dead Orbit was good, but the ending was kind meh, the sequals got the mechanics down, but lost the horror aspect of being alone in this spacestation. Amnesia is also a good scary PC game.

Kind of went on a rant there, but more to the point, I did not expect so many people to be THAT afraid of games that they quit playing, for me I can't stop.

I watched AH play PT and literally threw my phone.

by Funkmon @, Monday, December 14, 2015, 10:28 (3065 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

FF7

by TheeChaos @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 18:48 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Easily one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I went back a couple years ago and downloaded it on PS3 and played it. Just as awesome as I remember.

FF7

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:07 (3067 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Easily one of the best games ever made in my opinion. I went back a couple years ago and downloaded it on PS3 and played it. Just as awesome as I remember.

VII and VIII are still my favorite games ever (right above the Halo trilogy), not to mention some of the most influential pieces of art and entertainment on me growing up. I had a highway chase storyboarded for my comic the other day and then I just realized it was the escape from Midgar, gah! The dreamlike art direction of those two games seeded something otherworldy deep in my genes, I think.

We got the PS1 going again this summer and my GF got to disc 2 for the first time recently. She's never played an RPG before so its a lot to wrap her head around.

Nice!

by TheeChaos @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 23:53 (3067 days ago) @ Leviathan

I wish my significant other would get into gaming.

FF7 was my first PS1 game, and I spent the majority of my childhood playing it, then getting other friends to play it. I remember my dad showing it to me before school (elementary school) and telling me I had 15 mins to play before we had to go to the bus stop. Needless to say, I missed the bus stop, because even my dad (completely technologically illiterate and hated magical stuff) got into the game and was telling me how to do some of the more complicated things he read that I skipped.

I remember dying at the First scorpion boss because I didn't pay attention to the text about the tail attack.

As I got older I played through that game probably about 5 times, learning more and more each time. Even thought they are breaking up the remake, I cannot wait.

Nice!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 02:54 (3067 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I wish my significant other would get into gaming.

She didn't used to play and she still doesn't play a big variety, but the Lego games have helped reel her in more.

FF7 was my first PS1 game, and I spent the majority of my childhood playing it, then getting other friends to play it. I remember my dad showing it to me before school (elementary school) and telling me I had 15 mins to play before we had to go to the bus stop. Needless to say, I missed the bus stop, because even my dad (completely technologically illiterate and hated magical stuff) got into the game and was telling me how to do some of the more complicated things he read that I skipped.

:D That's awesome.

I remember dying at the First scorpion boss because I didn't pay attention to the text about the tail attack.

I remember doing that too! I got the PS1 for Christmas in fourth grade (it was my first game console - everything else had been my brothers') and one of the main reasons I had wanted one was for FFVII. I had seen ads in comics and videos at demo stations. It was liked I was being drawn into another dimension! But I didn't get or couldn't afford the game so I would just rent it every weekend for months.

I should mention that I also didn't have a memory card.

So every time I rented it, I started over. Everytime I died, I started over. I would stay up late, I would pause the game and fall asleep and go back to it when I awoke. I remember getting to Aeris's church and thinking it was both beautiful AND an accomplishment. The last time I rented it I was able to get out of Midgar and the world map blew my mind! I had no idea it existed - that the game was that big! A couple of months later I finally got the game and a memory card for my birthday and the game truly began... finally!

Nice!

by TheeChaos @, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 12:01 (3067 days ago) @ Leviathan

I should mention that I also didn't have a memory card.

So every time I rented it, I started over. Everytime I died, I started over. I would stay up late, I would pause the game and fall asleep and go back to it when I awoke. I remember getting to Aeris's church and thinking it was both beautiful AND an accomplishment. The last time I rented it I was able to get out of Midgar and the world map blew my mind! I had no idea it existed - that the game was that big! A couple of months later I finally got the game and a memory card for my birthday and the game truly began... finally!

The Struggle was Real. I remember when I got a PS2, my PS1 memory card had stopped working (what a coincidence). The first game I got was Kingdom Hearts (another amazing game) and I had to do the same thing. My parents promised me we would get one that weekend, so during the week I left it on all the time. Then one day my stepmom unknowingly turned it off.....

Kids today will never know the struggle of memory cards and/or the lack of cloud storage.

Except those kids with 500 GB Xboxes. :)

by Funkmon @, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 12:09 (3067 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

Nice!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 13:35 (3066 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I remember the first time I played an Xbox at a friend's house (Halo of course). I didn't know anything about it at the time and flipped at its hard drive and lack of memory card requirement. A literal game changer.

It's why I got it.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 15:29 (3066 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

FF7

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:30 (3067 days ago) @ TheeChaos

When I revisited it my response was less enthusiastic.

It has not aged well at all, both in terms of graphics and presentation, and in terms of game mechanics. It's a game about just attacking and healing. You can get all the way through that way, and there is very little complexity to the battle system. The materia are supposed to have tradeoffs, such as magical materia making your physical attack weaker, but this is such a small effect in practice as to not matter.

But as a game, I think it was great in terms of scale, scope, and story. Of any game ever, it's really the one that most deserves a remake to overcome the deficiencies of the original.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:05 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I also have never played HL2. BF2 was whatever imo. I think I played RC? Not tops on my list. Rogue Squadron is my all time favorite star wars game, followed closely by KotR 2 (hey look, you listed that one) and Dark Forces.

HL2 is, by all accounts, amazeballs. KotR 2 *is* amazeballs and 100% worth playing (several times over). It's worth it just for HK's dialogue. Oh man.

I'll enumerate this later

Psychonauts has great art and design, a mediocre story, a few very, very cool tentpole moments/boss fights, and frustratingly unforgiving gameplay in the later levels. it is not worth it, imo, and is overhyped in the way that only an indie darling could be. There's also a clear point in the game where you realize, "oh, this is where they ran out of money, stopped doing interesting things, and forced the rest of the game to wrap up as quickly as possible." The feeling to me is like a more stylish Beyond Good and Evil (if you played that). Loads of promise and diminishing delivery as you progress.

EDIT: Also, I've never played Final Fantasy VII, so I'm actually kinda interested in the remake. I know it's not the "pure" way to play it, but I tried to play the real FFVII a few years ago, and just couldn't get past the age of it and gave up after a very short amount of time.

FF7 is great. So are 8 and 9. 8 is my favorite, and people always berate me for it, but screw you, I love it.

My gaming confessions:
- I've never played a pokemon game (other than the columns clone that was N64, and was actually legitimately good).
- I've never played Minecraft.
- I've never played a Far Cry game or a Just Cause game (though damn, the latest Just Cause videos I've seen make me really, really want to start playing it).
- i cannot stand the squad based Tom Clancy games (a'la Ghost Recon). Fucking. Hate. Them. In fact, I hate all games where the AI allies are better at everything than their human counterparts.
- I LOVE tactics games, but have never played Final Fantasy Tactics (initially out of protest since so many people acted like that game invented tactics combat. Sorry kids, Shining Force holds that crown).

Other games you may have missed:
- If you never played the original Toe Jam and Earl with a friend, you missed out on one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.
- I think Save the Date was the best game of last year. Claude disagrees with me, but it blew my mind thrice over.
- Classic Mac RPGs: Quarterstaff, Citadel, Wizardry 1 & 2. SO FING GOOD. The Uninvited, Shadowgate, and Deja Vu.
- Classic PC RPG: Mordor. This is the greatest PC game of all time (you heard me, Mechwarrior 2). The DEMO contains a virtually limitless amount of fun and rewarding play. If anyone knows a modern game that uses similar mechanics, PLEASE let me know.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:17 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- I LOVE tactics games, but have never played Final Fantasy Tactics (initially out of protest since so many people acted like that game invented tactics combat. Sorry kids, Shining Force holds that crown).

Did you ever play XCOM? That series I liked a lot. It might not hold up to your standards, but it was a lot of fun.

- Classic Mac RPGs: Quarterstaff, Citadel, Wizardry 1 & 2. SO FING GOOD. The Uninvited, Shadowgate, and Deja Vu.

WHAT!? No Realmz!? come on man! I lived and breathed realmz when I was a kid... so good. I even once named my characters after my family and sacrificed them to ogres and orcs. It was a fun childhood.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:26 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Did you ever play XCOM? That series I liked a lot. It might not hold up to your standards, but it was a lot of fun.

Good stuff. I also enjoyed Syndicate, though I'm not sure that counts as "tactics" in the classic sense.

WHAT!? No Realmz!? come on man! I lived and breathed realmz when I was a kid... so good. I even once named my characters after my family and sacrificed them to ogres and orcs. It was a fun childhood.

I have never played Realmz! I've never even heard of it! I'm gonna have to check that out.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:45 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Good stuff. I also enjoyed Syndicate, though I'm not sure that counts as "tactics" in the classic sense.

I have never played Realmz! I've never even heard of it! I'm gonna have to check that out.

While we are on the topic of old school mac games (you had to get me started). The other one that I play a ton was Escape Velocity: Nova which is the third installment in the series, but the first two games were for OS9. The first one came out in 1996... If you wanted to see what it was like check these graphics out!

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 20:08 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

While we are on the topic of old school mac games (you had to get me started). The other one that I play a ton was Escape Velocity: Nova which is the third installment in the series, but the first two games were for OS9. The first one came out in 1996... If you wanted to see what it was like check these graphics out!

Absolutely!!!
the EV games were GREAT.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:40 (3067 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh my goodness... Realmz! I played so much Realmz back in the day. Wow. I'd totally forgotten that!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:51 (3067 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oh my goodness... Realmz! I played so much Realmz back in the day. Wow. I'd totally forgotten that!

I actually started playing realmz because of the magazine
[image]

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:29 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Psychonauts has great art and design, a mediocre story, a few very, very cool tentpole moments/boss fights, and frustratingly unforgiving gameplay in the later levels. it is not worth it, imo, and is overhyped in the way that only an indie darling could be. There's also a clear point in the game where you realize, "oh, this is where they ran out of money, stopped doing interesting things, and forced the rest of the game to wrap up as quickly as possible." The feeling to me is like a more stylish Beyond Good and Evil (if you played that). Loads of promise and diminishing delivery as you progress.

Yes, it was a little flat for me after the Napoleon & black velvet levels, but everything after Oleander up through Napoleon was pretty good (for me).

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 11, 2015, 19:30 (3067 days ago) @ dogcow

Yes, it was a little flat for me after the Napoleon & black velvet levels, but everything after Oleander up through Napoleon was pretty good (for me).

Agreed. Once you start the hunt for brains it's all downhill from there. And dramatically harder.

by electricpirate @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 20:27 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The grind of FFT makes Destiny look like child's play. I was really into it, until I realized I'd need dozens of hours to level up one dude for the next battle, and I needed to do that a couple of times.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 23:20 (3067 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I also have never played HL2. BF2 was whatever imo. I think I played RC? Not tops on my list. Rogue Squadron is my all time favorite star wars game, followed closely by KotR 2 (hey look, you listed that one) and Dark Forces.

HL2 is, by all accounts, amazeballs. KotR 2 *is* amazeballs and 100% worth playing (several times over). It's worth it just for HK's dialogue. Oh man.

I'll enumerate this later

FF7 is great. So are 8 and 9. 8 is my favorite, and people always berate me for it, but screw you, I love it.

My gaming confessions:
- I've never played a pokemon game (other than the columns clone that was N64, and was actually legitimately good).

You're not missing much. If Pokemon Yellow hadn't hit me at the right time when I was a kid, I would have recognized it as a terrible game. But it did hit at the right time, and I fell in love, and pure nostalgia makes me love the games still. I played through Pokemon X when it came out a few years ago and loved it. But honestly, it's not a good game; none of them are. It's not a good RPG. It's just one long, forty hour grind. But I gotta catch 'em all!

- I've never played Minecraft.

Other than trying it a few times at friend's places, ditto. I understand why people love it, but it bores me to tears.

- I've never played a Far Cry game or a Just Cause game (though damn, the latest Just Cause videos I've seen make me really, really want to start playing it).

Never played Just Cause either, other than a demo of JC2 (I think it was 2). Seemed fun, in a GTA just blow shit up when you're bored kind of way, but it didn't grab me.

Other games you may have missed:
- If you never played the original Toe Jam and Earl with a friend, you missed out on one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.

I never did. I played the Xbox Toe Jam and Earl and had a lot of fun with it, although I honestly don't remember much about it.

- I think Save the Date was the best game of last year. Claude disagrees with me, but it blew my mind thrice over.

I've never even heard of it; I'll have to check it out.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 11, 2015, 21:08 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Regarding your question: I think Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando both hold up quite well. The 1 caveat is that both of those games predate built-in controller support. There are ways to play them with a controller on your PC, but it takes some configuring and or additional software. I use a controller profiler to play Battlefront 2 with my Xbox One controller. It works decently well, but it's not perfect. So playing with mouse & keyboard is probably the better way to go.

*edit*

I think you'd particularly enjoy Republic Commando, given how much you like Halo 5. Halo 5 has a lot of roots in RC, thanks to Tim Longo.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 23:05 (3067 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think you'd particularly enjoy Republic Commando, given how much you like Halo 5. Halo 5 has a lot of roots in RC, thanks to Tim Longo.

I had thought about that too. RC was one of the games I really regretted missing out on about five years ago, but I just never got around to playing it at the time. I'll definitely have to check it out.

There's a big list of games in here, I'll have to see if I can track some of them down and make them work on Windows 10.

I specifically mentioned some of the Star Wars games because I know they're available and super cheap on Steam.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, December 11, 2015, 23:33 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I had thought about that too. RC was one of the games I really regretted missing out on about five years ago, but I just never got around to playing it at the time. I'll definitely have to check it out.

There's a big list of games in here, I'll have to see if I can track some of them down and make them work on Windows 10.

I specifically mentioned some of the Star Wars games because I know they're available and super cheap on Steam.

There's a Star Wars bundle where you can get like a dozen great games for under $30. Most of them can be bought individually for $3-$5.

I haven't played Republic Commando in 4 or 5 years, but last time I did I was impressed by how well it had aged. Great game :)

Mine

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, December 14, 2015, 17:10 (3064 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Have never played

• Any non-SNES Final Fantasy (including FF7)
  • Mass Effect
  • Dark Souls or Bloodbourne

Super duper not into

• rooting around in Fallout or Elder Scrolls games
  • Half-Life 2
  • MOBAs
Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread