I can't wait to see the tech talk on the networking

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, June 14, 2013, 02:31 (3977 days ago)

Bungie has done awesome work in the past bringing their ability to make satisfying co-op experiences to the online world.

But it hasn't been perfect. The challenge of making such vibrant AIs to fight against forced Bungie to make a synchronous networking model for co-op based multiplayer in the Halo games. This caused the slightest network disruption or slow down to cause lag in the game for everyone involved.

Considering that they've broken free of their Halo code base, I'm excited to hear about how they've tackled such an interesting problem that is at the core of what they're marketing for the game.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, June 14, 2013, 03:40 (3977 days ago) @ kidtsunami

But it hasn't been perfect. The challenge of making such vibrant AIs to fight against forced Bungie to make a synchronous networking model for co-op based multiplayer in the Halo games. This caused the slightest network disruption or slow down to cause lag in the game for everyone involved.

That's not even remotely the most annoying thing about the synchronous networking models. The stablest of stable connections in the world can't save you from the constant input lag on everything that isn't looking.

(I'd love to learn how exactly Halo's system handles that client-side looking, by the way. It doesn't totally save the networking, but it's a neat trick).

Considering that they've broken free of their Halo code base, I'm excited to hear about how they've tackled such an interesting problem that is at the core of what they're marketing for the game.

Yep, should be neato. As a coop-focused title, I'm sure they've redesigned the game's systems around a different networking model.

THIS

by jazo, Friday, June 14, 2013, 06:51 (3977 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It is going to be an absolute dealbreaker.

Staten has said that we can expect all the things we love about Bungie games (great physics, AI, etc) and that is awesome but only as awesome as their new netcode.

Skating on ice is how I equated every attempt I made at online co-op in a Halo game. Every action had input lag that everyone is no doubt familiar with.

For this game to really succeed, there will need to be none of that in Destiny. The core focus is looking like Player(s) vs. AI in an online-only world. Not sure on the exact numbers for Halo, but I would definitely wager that the majority of players were in competitive multiplayer online which as we know had different netcode than the co-op.

Hoping for the best!

THIS

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 14, 2013, 07:29 (3977 days ago) @ jazo

Skating on ice is how I equated every attempt I made at online co-op in a Halo game. Every action had input lag that everyone is no doubt familiar with.

Yes, this was more common than one would hope, especially pre-Reach. On the other hand, I played about half of ODST last weekend in co-op, and we had only a few moments of lag. I've had some absolutely glorious times in co-op. It's my favorite mode, and I look forward to organizing DBO co-op nights. You're invited. :)

THIS

by Oholiab @, Friday, June 14, 2013, 14:51 (3976 days ago) @ Kermit

Yes, this was more common than one would hope, especially pre-Reach. On the other hand, I played about half of ODST last weekend in co-op, and we had only a few moments of lag. I've had some absolutely glorious times in co-op. It's my favorite mode, and I look forward to organizing DBO co-op nights. You're invited. :)

As it is my favorite mode as well, count me in!

But you played co-op ODST without me??

THIS

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 14, 2013, 16:13 (3976 days ago) @ Oholiab

As it is my favorite mode as well, count me in!

But you played co-op ODST without me??

I'm preserving my co-op save for my buddy I played with, who had not played it before.

When we're done I'll hit you up.

Or we could do Reach now. :)

THIS

by Oholiab @, Friday, June 14, 2013, 21:32 (3976 days ago) @ Kermit

Im game!

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Friday, June 14, 2013, 20:05 (3976 days ago) @ kidtsunami

So, what sort of network does everyone think they will use? So far we have seen other players spontaneously pop into an area for a public event, and moving from a party only area to a public area occurs with no disruption whatsoever.

I'm no network expert, but I think we may see dedicated servers, at least for the pve part of the game. I am not sure the current-gen consoles could handle this sort of functionality with a player-host network.

Cross-platform play

by Oholiab @, Friday, June 14, 2013, 20:33 (3976 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Has it been confirmed or denied that playing online will be cross-platform? Will Bungie or Activision be hosting regardless of XBL and PSN, so that no matter which console they use, we will be able to play together?

Cross-platform play

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 14, 2013, 20:35 (3976 days ago) @ Oholiab

It has not been. I can't even recall the question being asked in any of the E3 interview either which seems kinda odd.

It was asked.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 14, 2013, 20:39 (3976 days ago) @ Ragashingo

"No comment at this time" Which to me means - we are trying to. Hope they can. I doubt it though since, for example, how would some one on PSN look on the Xbox "recently played" list?

Getting Microsoft and Sony to shake hands? God Speed Bungie. God Speed.

It was asked.

by Oholiab @, Friday, June 14, 2013, 20:49 (3976 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Godspeed indeed. Will this issue not certainly impact one's decision to purchase a particular console or version of the game? I remain hopeful.

It was asked.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 14, 2013, 23:46 (3976 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I doubt it though since, for example, how would some one on PSN look on the Xbox "recently played" list?

It would definitely have to be through Destiny itself or the Destiny app at least

"Through Destiny itself"

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 09:34 (3976 days ago) @ Xenos

I doubt it though since, for example, how would some one on PSN look on the Xbox "recently played" list?

It would definitely have to be through Destiny itself or the Destiny app at least

I agree, In fact its probably the only way it would be doable. It would be like going on Bungie.net but in Destiny.

I hope both the legal & tech allows this do be done. I suspect that, even with everything said and done, it will be very likely that DBO will have those with the PS4 or X1. Which would not be good for the community aspect in Destiny if we are to be separated.

Here's hoping that all (to use a blanket statement) "Protocols" are able to be met in compliance.

"Through Destiny itself"

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 09:54 (3976 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I agree, In fact its probably the only way it would be doable. It would be like going on Bungie.net but in Destiny.

I hope both the legal & tech allows this do be done. I suspect that, even with everything said and done, it will be very likely that DBO will have those with the PS4 or X1. Which would not be good for the community aspect in Destiny if we are to be separated.

Here's hoping that all (to use a blanket statement) "Protocols" are able to be met in compliance.

It'll definitely save me money if it's cross-platform.

Getting microsoft and microsoft to shake hands

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 04:14 (3976 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm curious about XBox360 -> XBone and PS3 -> PS4

This game has your social circle as a key feature of the game. Wrangling all of my friends to be on the same console will be interesting with at least 4 different platforms for the game, let alone if they announce a PC SKU.

So we'll see, this is something I'm very curious about.

Getting microsoft and microsoft to shake hands

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 06:16 (3976 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I would be very surprised if cross-platform play is offered.

I would faint dead away if cross-brand, cross-platform play is offered.

may the hammer fall swiftly

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 04:20 (3975 days ago) @ Kermit

if

PS3 <-> PS4 <-> PC

happens

It was asked.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 09:48 (3976 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

"No comment at this time" Which to me means - we are trying to. Hope they can. I doubt it though since, for example, how would some one on PSN look on the Xbox "recently played" list?

Getting Microsoft and Sony to shake hands? God Speed Bungie. God Speed.

If it can be done, if Bungie can figure out a way to unite us all with Bungie Server Magic, would they actually need to get Microsoft and Sony to shake hands? I would think that all MS and Sony care about is people buying and playing on their systems. I'm curious what legal walls, if there are any, would prevent Bungie from uniting us all. And if there aren't any legal walls preventing it, then what technical walls need to be smashed down in order to make this happen?

If anyone can do this, you can Bungie. Best of luck to you!

Guidelines

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 14:26 (3975 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm curious what legal walls, if there are any, would prevent Bungie from uniting us all. And if there aren't any legal walls preventing it, then what technical walls need to be smashed down in order to make this happen?

Those legal walls are the real trick. Fundamentally, all 4 platforms are just talking to each other in bits and bytes, and Bungie has absolute control over how those are interpreted at each end. The real trick is being allowed to make that interoperability happen. Microsoft and Sony don't play nice, and the fact that we haven't seen a cross-console multiplayer game before tells me that there's likely some specific legalese to that effect required when you sign on to become a developer. Of course, there's probably also legalese in there to prevent anyone from talking about said limitations.

4-platform Destiny is the holy grail of multiplayer and despite how much I'd love to see such a feature, I don't think the platform controllers will allow it. Let's go, Sony/Microsoft, prove me wrong!

You learn something new every day

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 11:13 (3976 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Mr Daax, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 11:21

Or, at least, I do. As it turns out, cross-console play has been done before, with Final Fantasy XI.
Granted, this is X360 and PS2 we're talking about here, but it's really cool to know that it is possible and that the gap has been bridged before.

EDIT: I guess it also worked with the PS3, due to it's backwards compatibility.

You learn something new every day

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 13:36 (3976 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Or, at least, I do. As it turns out, cross-console play has been done before, with Final Fantasy XI.
Granted, this is X360 and PS2 we're talking about here, but it's really cool to know that it is possible and that the gap has been bridged before.

EDIT: I guess it also worked with the PS3, due to it's backwards compatibility.

I didn't know that either. Wow.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread