My (and your) games of the year. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 27, 2015, 16:41 (3051 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, December 27, 2015, 16:46

Another year has passed, and it's been a great one as far as gaming is concerned. So let's talk about it! What did everyone play this year? What did you like? What did you not? What did you miss?

I'm not going to go too in-depth or cover everything, but I'll pick a few highlights for me this year. There will be a few that came out before this year, just because this is the year I finally played it.

In no particular order:

The Taken King is an obvious pick considering where we're at; there's no need to really talk about it. It's an overall fantastic release with a lot of good experiences.

Halo 5, likewise, has been discussed quite a bit here, and I think everyone knows where I stand (I know Korny certainly does! :P ). I think it's great, and the multiplayer is the most fun I've had with online Halo since Halo 3, despite not actually having played it that much.

The Witcher III is another obvious pick. It's winning GotY awards all over the place, and it's well deserved in my opinion. I still haven't finished the game, but even so, it's probably my overall favorite release this year. It's just amazing.

Rise of the Tomb Raider. Basically just more of the same following the 2013 reboot, which isn't a bad thing. The prettiest game on Xbox One by a wide margin. The combat gets a bit frustrating towards the end (that stupid helicopter segment), but the movement and exploration and platforming are fun. Overall a really enjoyable experience, and I really appreciated the way it balanced freedom and exploration with providing a focused experience. It hit a really nice middle ground for me that allowed me to explore and find and complete the Challenge Tombs, then move on through the story. I played for a little less than 30 hours at the finish of the story, and I haven't touched it since. It's nice to have a game that doesn't expect you to put a hundred hours in to finish.

Starbound is my jam right now. Picked this up in the Steam sale a few days ago and haven't played anything else since. I hated Minecraft and never played Terraria, so I don't have much experience with a game like this. Fallout 4's settlements we interesting, though, and made me look into that sort of exploration/crafting type game, and Starbound looked the most interesting with its addition of space travel and ship upgrading. I've found myself putting hours into it with my Disocver Weekly Spotify playlist in the background, and it's the most relaxing game experience I've had it quite a long time.

Undertale is another I haven't finished yet, but the soundtrack alone is enough to make me love it. The game itself is interesting and pretty fun in its own way (even though I suck at the bullet hell combat stuff, and it's started to prove sort of frustrating).

Tales from the Borderlands is the only game I might enjoy more than The Witcher 3. It only loses because it's not actually much of a game (and in fact, I wish it were LESS of a game. I'd love a version of this game without the parts where I actually have to DO stuff. Take out the small walking around parts, ditch the QTEs, and just let me make the dialogue choices and it'd be perfect for me). They really nailed the Borderlands style and humor. I'm only up to Episode 4.

Life is Strange is a stronger game to me than Tales from the Borderlands. I like Tales more, but the actual gameplay and exploration works for me in Life is Strange in a way that it definitely just gets in the way for me in Tales. I hated the ending, but the rest of the experience was so strong that it doesn't really detract from my love of the game as a whole.

Games that I missed out on altogether, but want to play:

Bloodborne. I loved the Souls games, but I don't have a PS4. When I (hopefully) get one this year, Bloodborne will be at the top of my list of games to buy for it.

Rocket League. Again, no PS4. I've played it at a friend's and loved it, and I can't wait for the Xbox One release!

Sunset Overdrive. I know this is a 2014 game, but I missed it then, and I intended to pick up this year, but missed it again. It just sort of fell by the wayside. Maybe I'll get around to it next year.

Biggest disappointments:

Only two real standouts in this category for me:

Battlefront III. It's fun, but after about five hours the experience is pretty thin. It's gorgeous and sounds amazing and feels more like Star Wars than any game I've ever played; there's just not enough there. And even if there was, I've lately been moving away from competitive online games. The days where I want to sit down for hours and play online against people are long gone. Despite how good it is, I can only play a few matches in Halo 5 before I start to get a bit bored, so Battlefront doesn't even have a chance.

Fallout 4 may be a surprising choice for disappointments, but it certainly was for me. I enjoyed the game, but for some reason, it didn't grab me in the way that every other Bethesda game has. It's an enjoyable game, but just ultimately proved too shallow for me at the end of the day. Every quest is just kill everything to clear the building. It has perhaps the best world-building and story through environment that Bethesda has ever done . . . there are just not enough compelling gameplay experiences to make me want to continue exploring. I put well over 200 hours into every other Bethesda game; I put Fallout 4 away after less than 50. I'm sure I'll revisit it when mods hit the Xbox One, if only just to see what they're like.

Alright, this turned into a longer post than I intended, but there it is. Now let's hear what you've got!

My (and your) games of the year.

by Avateur @, Sunday, December 27, 2015, 17:15 (3051 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I like your list as a whole, but you gotta remove Taken King and Halo 5. Taken King is an expansion, so it doesn't count. Destiny is the game, and it came out last year. And Halo 5 is shit. Otherwise, solid list. Witcher is beast. If I had to pick just one, though, I'd go with Fallout. Or Witcher. Gah.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, December 27, 2015, 20:47 (3051 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Life Is Strange - There were a lot of games with good gameplay, but very few with good story. Life Is Strange had the best story and characters by far.

Dunno if it counts, since I got it two days ago...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 28, 2015, 00:30 (3051 days ago) @ cheapLEY

But The Talos Principle is seriously scratching my Portal-like puzzle itch. Also, it has one hell of a story hook, if you're into philosophical stuff.

Other than that, it has been mostly a Destiny year for me. With the shadow of unemployment looming over me (country is going through quite an economical/political crisis right now), I've been trying to keep my expenditures to a minimum.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, December 28, 2015, 02:39 (3051 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm loving Battlefront. I actually like its stripped down feel. I was getting burned out on Destiny's complexity and gear chasing. It's nice to just hop on and fire away with a blaster for an hour. Plus it has split screen, so Lil'Blue and I can play together.

Ori and the Blind Forest

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Monday, December 28, 2015, 06:24 (3051 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is my only game that I can recommend to play this year.

Seriously, this game was good stuff back in March. It's single player only and has only 10 hours of gameplay, but this platformer did so much stuff right.

Plus, it's on sale on Xbox right now for $10! You guys should seriously buy it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, December 28, 2015, 13:59 (3050 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Favorite Games of the Year:

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Taken King

Games that made great first impressions, but got old quickly:

Star Wars Battlefront

Halo 5

Biggest Disappointments:

Batman Arkham Knight

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Happy Surprises of the year:

Ori and the Blind Forest

Rocket League

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 07:36 (3050 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Favorite Games of the Year:

Dying Light (can't wait to get the Enhanced edition in February)

Black Ops 3 (The first DLC hasn't dropped and the game is already overflowing with content. In this day and age...)

Games that made great first impressions, but got old quickly:

Taken King (Not in a bad way, but Destiny has a system where the new and exciting paves way to The Grind. SRL was a blast, though).

Mortal Kombat X (not the game's fault, really. I get burnt out on fighting games too quickly since I'm the only one in my group of friends/family who plays them).

Biggest Disappointments:

Halo 5 (Gameplay (Warzone, specifically) is fun-ish, Forge is great... But the game is barebones otherwise. I actually had more fun with Halo 4 at launch, and that's saying something.)

Resident Evil Revelations 2. (The RE series is pretty dead at this point, but the Horse's beating continues).

Happy Surprises of the year:

Fallout 4 (didn't enjoy previous Fallout games, but this one had a ton of things that I do like. Just waiting for QoL mods and such.)

Rocket League (I hate driving games, and I hate sports games. Both of them in one package? Way more fun than it had any right to be. Impossible to play without a smile on my face.)

Games That Deserved Way More Attention Than I Gave Them This Year:

Helldivers (a difficult, fun, team-oriented game with ODST and Starship Troopers coursing through its DNA? I was pulled away from this game far too much).

Dragon Fin Soup (A difficult puzzle/combat game is rare. One with lots of charm doubly-so.)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread