My Elite Controller came today, and it's amazing. (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 00:40 (3041 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 01:16

Didn't get to use it because my internet was down, and I ended up wrestling with that until now. I'm tired and turning in early.
Looking forward to playing tomorrow night!

Congrats!

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 02:44 (3041 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

My Elite Controller came today, and it's amazing.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 03:12 (3041 days ago) @ Kermit

Got a $150 Christmas "voucher" from my wife, still trying to find an Elite locally.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 10:52 (3041 days ago) @ Mid7night

A buddy of mine had good luck at the local Microsoft store.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 15:18 (3041 days ago) @ Mid7night

Got a $150 Christmas "voucher" from my wife, still trying to find an Elite locally.

Nice! I've got a ton of My.BestBuy credit just waiting for them to get some in stock. I'm hearing it may be March before they're easy to come by, though.

-Disciple

Got one!

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 17:18 (3041 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Called a couple of the local Best Buy's around and found a store that had one, and the guy held if for me while I drove over!

My advice; Call the stores directly (online inventory doesn't get updated unless they have more than a handful, so said the guy I spoke with), and call right when they open.

Got one!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 19:45 (3040 days ago) @ Mid7night

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

-Disciple

Pix

by Funkmon @, Thursday, January 07, 2016, 20:34 (3040 days ago) @ Mid7night

- No text -

Got one, too!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, January 08, 2016, 00:35 (3040 days ago) @ Mid7night

Thanks for the heads up! I typically avoid actually talking to people, but this may have been worth it :p

-Disciple

Awesome

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, January 08, 2016, 13:48 (3040 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Glad it worked for you too! Now to settle on a layout I like.... I'be got A/B on left paddles and X/Y on the right, but I'm still playing around with which ones are upper/lower. Usage isn't quite second-nature yet, but I was a little surprised at how easily I've begun adapting - I guess I still have a bit of "kid brain" left in me after all. ;)

Awesome

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, January 08, 2016, 15:46 (3040 days ago) @ Mid7night

Glad it worked for you too! Now to settle on a layout I like.... I'be got A/B on left paddles and X/Y on the right, but I'm still playing around with which ones are upper/lower. Usage isn't quite second-nature yet, but I was a little surprised at how easily I've begun adapting - I guess I still have a bit of "kid brain" left in me after all. ;)

Apparently, I do not. I think I know how my wife felt when I first tried to get her into Halo.

I'm trying to move the thumbstick clicks to the paddles, but my brain is just not making the switch. I might just have to try moving jump/duck to the paddles, but I'd REALLY like to avoid ever clicking a thumbstick again.

Even if I never manage to gain the necessary coordination to use the paddles, the build quality and the super-springy analog sticks have made it well worth the cost for me.

-Disciple

Awesome

by Funkmon @, Friday, January 08, 2016, 16:20 (3040 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Dumb trick: I used to do this when I cared about improving my handwriting. I only let myself have a drink when I finished a sentence the right way. Try only letting yourself drink until you finish a game without a mistake in controls. Should only take like 5 games.

Awesome

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, January 08, 2016, 17:28 (3040 days ago) @ Funkmon

Dumb trick: I used to do this when I cared about improving my handwriting. I only let myself have a drink when I finished a sentence the right way. Try only letting yourself drink until you finish a game without a mistake in controls. Should only take like 5 games.

Hmmm...I think if I waited until I completed an entire game without a mistake, I would actually die of dehydration :p

Perhaps if I make a game of it and take a different kind of drink every time I mess up, my slightly inebriated mind will relax enough to let go of the old controls and learn something new*.

-Disciple

*It's been a stressful week. I may just be looking for an excuse to get sloshed.

Tips

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, January 08, 2016, 16:42 (3040 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Even if I never manage to gain the necessary coordination to use the paddles, the build quality and the super-springy analog sticks have made it well worth the cost for me.

I wonder if it's possible to disable the stick clicks entirely. I'll have to check when I get home, disabling the buttons the paddles are duplicating should help you get used to it faster.

That said, I just discovered that you can disable the paddles temporarily to prevent them from being activated when you set the controller down.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/how-to-lock-paddles-elite-controller
http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/89/68/89683439-06c3-4095-bb8e-8834121b959e.mp4?n=elite-lock-the-paddles.mp4

Tips

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, January 08, 2016, 17:20 (3040 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I wonder if it's possible to disable the stick clicks entirely. I'll have to check when I get home, disabling the buttons the paddles are duplicating should help you get used to it faster.

It's not so much that I'm forgetting and clicking the thumbsticks instead of using the paddles, it's that I've somehow rotated the controls forward one position in my brain so that I'm now trying to aim/fire with the paddles and sprint/melee with the triggers. I may just have to spend some time going melee-only and add the triggers back in later.

That said, I just discovered that you can disable the paddles temporarily to prevent them from being activated when you set the controller down.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/how-to-lock-paddles-elite-controller
http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/89/68/89683439-06c3-4095-bb8e-8834121b959e.mp4?n=elite-lock-the-paddles.mp4

Heh, I actually heard about that feature from this poor guy's story :p

-Disciple

Tips

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, January 08, 2016, 19:31 (3039 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

note, that if you disable the paddles, and are AFK long enough for the controller to turn off, the paddles will be re-enabled when you turn the controller back on.

If you lay the controller on a hard flat surface, the paddles will not be pushed in. If you sit the paddle on your leg, couch, carpet, etc, they will get pushed in.

Tips

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, January 08, 2016, 21:33 (3039 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

note, that if you disable the paddles, and are AFK long enough for the controller to turn off, the paddles will be re-enabled when you turn the controller back on.

If you lay the controller on a hard flat surface, the paddles will not be pushed in. If you sit the paddle on your leg, couch, carpet, etc, they will get pushed in.

I replied to Blackt1g3r with a link to a story about a guy who supposedly accidentally deleted two of his guardians because he powered the controller back on while looking at another screen, but it's currently waiting to be mod approved for excessive linking, I guess :p

-Disciple

I'm surprised

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, January 08, 2016, 19:18 (3039 days ago) @ Mid7night
edited by Pyromancy, Friday, January 08, 2016, 19:24

I'm surprised at how many balked at the price point when the Elite controller was revealed but have ended up getting one in the end. Using Best Buy rewards is a great tool to lower the cost, I've done that with other things before. Im holding steady that the Elite is over priced and I will not get one, if at all, until the price is lowered.

I received a similar amount voucher from my wife for Christmas and I decided to back this project with it. I'm hoping it will enlighten our overall TV, Gaming, and Movie experience. It is an overpriced unit as well, but I hope it has more universal usefullness than the specific Xbox controller.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ambiscreen-most-universal-ambient-lighting-device#/

SOLD. OUT. EVERYWHERE.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, January 09, 2016, 02:17 (3039 days ago) @ Kermit

I had to reserve mine on Amazon!! Still waiting!

Open-Box items on Best Buy for $119

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, January 11, 2016, 04:46 (3037 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Elite controller w/ Halo 5 Bundle on Gamestop

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, January 11, 2016, 14:40 (3037 days ago) @ Kermit

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/xbox-one-elite-wireless-controller-with-halo-5-guardians/127095

In case anyone is looking to pick up both of these. Gamestop has some bundled right now.

Elite Controller at Gamestop in stock online

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, January 11, 2016, 19:29 (3036 days ago) @ unoudid

Elite Controller at Gamestop in stock online

by squidnh3, Monday, January 11, 2016, 22:03 (3036 days ago) @ unoudid

Looks like it just came into stock at Best Buy's online store too. I just ordered mine.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread