Attn: Xboners! The game with gold this month is AWESOME! (Gaming)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 14:58 (3013 days ago)

Hand of Fate is taking up all of my time. I'm super impressed and having a blast. It's a deckbuilding roguelike with action combat. Learning it is pretty easy, but the game itself is a good mix of chance and challenge. Very very very fun. I strongly urge everyone with and xbox one to check it out.

Attn: Xboners! The game with gold this month is AWESOME!

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 15:03 (3013 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It's a deckbuilding roguelike with action combat.

Eh?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 15:14 (3013 days ago) @ Funkmon

Eh?

So... it's like...

[image]

So I'm stealing hamburgers from my neighbor's deck?

by Durandal, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 16:54 (3013 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

That's like stealing candy from a baby.

roguelike:

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 18:39 (3013 days ago) @ Funkmon

roguelike:

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 18:42 (3013 days ago) @ slycrel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

I feel like you just made that wiki page and linked it...

Yeah, I wish I were that fast. heh.

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 19:21 (3013 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

as a pseudo-indie game dev, roguelikes and procedural content generation have been a big deal for me -- if I'm going to make a game I want to play, I want the game itself to generate content so I can actually play it. =)

Yeah, I wish I were that fast. heh.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 20:02 (3013 days ago) @ slycrel

[image]

Haha

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, February 04, 2016, 13:39 (3012 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 19:44 (3013 days ago) @ Funkmon

Eh?

So you have two decks:

- First, the Encounter Deck. This is what makes up the tiles on the "map." You choose which cards go into the deck, and the tiles on the map are composed of those cards. There are usually several "floors" so if you have a deck of 30 cards, you could run into a couple of floors of 6 tiles and then a floor of 12 tiles. They're arranged randomly. Encounters range from choose your own adventure type choice things to combat with monsters to my personal favorite: The maze of traps!

- Second, the Equipment Deck. This is what makes up the majority of the loot you can get from defeating monsters or prevailing in difficult encounters, or buy from shops.

Then the computer has a few decks:

- The Enemies Deck. This tells you what sort of enemy and how many of them you're fighting. 2 of Scales, for example, means you're fighting two lizard Men. The Jack of Dust is a big badass raider who occasionally drops cannonballs on you.

- The Gain Deck. This is random rewards from gold to food to Equipment (it'll say "draw 2 and choose 1 from your equipment deck").

- The Blessings Deck. Bonuses like extra damage or heal more after movement!

- The Curses Deck. Negatives like lose gold when hit or lose health when you get more curses.

- The Pain Deck. Things that hurt you. Sometimes losing health, sometimes losing food or gold, sometimes even losing max health.

Anyway, you build the first two decks from the cards you've unlocked, and then you use them to generate a dungeon to adventure in, find loot in, and hopefully find the baddest enemy and defeat them. Most cards have "tokens" associated with them, and depending on how you defeat those encounters, you can unlock the tokens at the end of your adventure (win or lose) to give yourself more cards. As with all roguelikes, you're in a randomly arranged dungeon fighting randomly selected enemies for randomly assigned loot. Sort of, since you deckbuild to tip the scales in your favor. And death is permanent, so you have to start a dungeon over if you die.

Sounds really, really weird. I'm intrigued!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 23:45 (3012 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Downloading now

semi related note

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 19:48 (3013 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Witcher 2 for the 360 is free til the 5th I believe for a backwards compatibility deal for the xbone.

^^ Another fantastic game

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 22:27 (3012 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

semi related note

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, February 04, 2016, 12:57 (3012 days ago) @ unoudid

Witcher 2 for the 360 is free til the 5th I believe for a backwards compatibility deal for the xbone.

How important is it that I play Witcher 1/2 before 3?

Not important.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 04, 2016, 13:47 (3012 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I say that as someone who didn't played The Witcher 1 or 2, but I absolutely LOVED The Witcher 3.

For the most part, The Witcher 3 isn't really necessarily a direct continuation of the previous games in the same way that Mass Effect 3 or Halo 3 are. It's just a new game that happens to be set after the previous two.

You'll meet some characters along the way that are from the past games, but it's always made pretty clear that Geralt knows these people, and it's almost never really important HOW he knows them.

The Witcher 3 is a great stand-alone story. Folks that know the entire history of the franchise might have a better time, in the same way that those that know the history of Halo might enjoy Reach more, but it's not important to that story being told.

Also, I've talked to plenty of people that did play the first two games, and still couldn't actually remember what happened because they're so convoluted and twisted. The Witcher 3 gives you an opportunity to simulate a previous save (a character comes and asks you question about choices from the past games). A lot of folks I've talked to personally and have read about online had to look up those decisions because there's so much going on they couldn't remember who was who and what they did.

TL;DR: Just play the Witcher 3. No need to start at the beginning, unless you just want to play the old games.

Not important.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, February 04, 2016, 13:56 (3012 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Thanks, I've always wanted to play Witcher 3 but that question kept holding me back.

Not important. <-- This

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 08, 2016, 03:50 (3008 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played Witcher 1 for like 20 minutes before the absolutely shitty controls made me never want to pick it up again.

Witcher 2 is fucking brilliant (except the first real boss you fight is way harder than it should be and none of the rest of the game is like that at all), but really isn't needed for WItcher 3. It gives you more context and there are a couple of recurring characters, but witcher 3 lets you figure all that out pretty easily and explains enough of the backstory that you needn't sweat it.

I second CheapLEY's post.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 04, 2016, 13:58 (3012 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

How important is it that I play Witcher 1/2 before 3?

Never played Witcher 1/2, but I'm really enjoying Witcher 3.

Plot and characters aren't really that important anyway, since you'll spend most of your time building your Gwent deck. Northern deck 4 Lyfe! Screw those Miasma douches!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread