Destiny Mega Bloks coming this year. (Destiny)

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 19:07 (3021 days ago)
edited by SIX min WHISTLE, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 19:11

I don't remember hearing about this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYy7blwbPA

Destiny Mega Bloks

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 19:10 (3021 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

Hook them young I guess.

Im unbelievably excited for these

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 19:29 (3021 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

- No text -

-_- .... o_o

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 20:20 (3021 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

Somebody take my money - as in, keep me from it, because I will make poor decisions...

-_- .... o_o

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 20:27 (3021 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'll be glad to give them your money instead of mine.

Ugh.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 20:45 (3021 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 20:48

Why not LEGO?

They look neat, but I'm really not a fan of Mega Blocks. I might check out that default ship set (although I'm currently trying to piece together one from LEGO; I just don't have the inventory needed right now).

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 20:49 (3021 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Why not LEGO?

Because of their policy against "violent themes", which is a very gray policy, but they talk about it here if you're curious:

http://thebrickblogger.com/2012/06/lego-and-violence/

Ugh.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 20:55 (3021 days ago) @ Xenos

Why not LEGO?

Because of their policy against "violent themes", which is a very gray policy, but they talk about it here if you're curious:

I mean . . . they can say that all they want, but if you have Star Wars sets I don't feel like you can make that argument. People get limbs cut off on a pretty frequent basis, and billions of people have died over the course of seven movies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad LEGO has Star Wars (The Force Awakens sets are the first LEGO sets I've owned since I was ten or twelve). It just seems like a weak policy.

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 21:04 (3021 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad LEGO has Star Wars (The Force Awakens sets are the first LEGO sets I've owned since I was ten or twelve). It just seems like a weak policy.

Yep, and very few people disagree :) I definitely think part of it seems to be about violent video games more than anything else. Not using R-rated and M-rated properties makes a certain amount of sense, but the reality is they pretty much just pick and choose what they think is appropriate.

Ugh.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 13, 2016, 21:27 (3021 days ago) @ Xenos

. . . the reality is they pretty much just pick and choose what they think is appropriate.

And I wouldn't even fault them for that, either. It's a business, after all. They have do whatever they think is best for that business. But they don't have to hide behind some dumb policy that is at odds with your most popular sets (I don't know, but I would wager their Star Wars sets are near the top).

Ugh.

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 00:54 (3021 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Eh, I didn't really expect building block stuff but Mega would be the only real option based on that long standing choice on Lego's part. The same discussion was had when Halo started. I'm fine with it, for the most part Mega Bloks have continued to improve the Halo stuff, the only things I didn't like that were their fault were a few original designs. At the very least for action based stuff, I greatly prefer Mega's mini-fig designs over Lego.

Based on what we see here I'm not sure I'll pick up all that much, but I'll probably grab a Sparrow and maybe a Titan set since it looks like they'll be doing armor/weapon kits like the Halo sets. If they're good I'll at least grab a fireteam of all three classes. In my eyes Guardians lend themselves to these widespread lines a bit better than Spartans since they're more varied designs.

Now I'm just curious who will pick up the $15-20 action figure license. McFarlane seems like a bigger possibility to me know if they really did loose the Halo. Mattel has it now if anyone doesn't stop by HBO much anymore, http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=41716. (Apparently I'm the Bungie.org toy watchdog now.)

Ugh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 01:32 (3021 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

I'll pick up the Jumpship. It looked good. Not really sure about the rest and I'm very unsure about the figurines. They seem like they're at an awkward halfway between simple Lego figures and actual action figures...

Destiny's not M rated

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 01:32 (3021 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Ugh.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 01:34 (3021 days ago) @ Xenos

Why not LEGO?

[image]

Let the merchandising begin

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 01:35 (3021 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 01:39

[image]

Ugh.

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 01:37 (3021 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Get a look at the Halo ones in stores now. They pretty much are stylized action figures. I think they're fairly impressive for how small they are.

Ugh.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 02:21 (3021 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

Get a look at the Halo ones in stores now. They pretty much are stylized action figures. I think they're fairly impressive for how small they are.

That's why I actually prefer LEGO's mini-figures. The Mega Block figures aren't big enough for enough good detail and articulation to be real action figures, and I think they end up looking kinda messy as a result (the Elites look pretty decent, I'll admit). I like that the LEGO figures all share the same body with painted details and still come off looking really great and very easily identifiable. At the end of the day that's all just opinion, but I feel like LEGO has done such a good job in that department.

I'll second Raga and say that the jumpship is the only thing I see myself even considering right now. I have a Mega Block Warthog and am not all that impressed with it, but I'll give them another shot with that jumpship (depending on price).

:)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 04:31 (3020 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

I am aware of this.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 05:26 (3020 days ago) @ Vortech

I was saying that policy would at least make sense instead of just picking and choosing.

Been waiting for this pre-launch.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 06:56 (3020 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Now if only Funko would pick up the stylized figures and some mystery minis. I'd be fine with McFarlane getting the 6" action figure line.

I'm a sucker for both action figures and high stylized designs.

Ugh.

by Dundre, Norway, Sunday, February 14, 2016, 14:08 (3020 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think Star Wars is too good to turn down. The stance LEGO took on violence did not make sense way before that, though. Pirates? Wild West? It is weird.

I am on the fence about Mega Blocs. It is not really about the quality. The direct comparison almost offends me. Even if they were making the best stuff, which I doubt, they still fairly blatantly ripped off the Lego system. The fact that Lego got nowhere in the us court system I think clearly shows that legal framework concerning patents is broken, or certainly the rulings are heavily biased. I find that upsetting. I think people who work at MB constantly have to face comparisons the LEGO guys don't, which makes med feel bad for them. It is not good. People still refer to MB as the shitty LEGO.. I can't see them tetting away from that.. I probably won't buy any of the Destiny stuff just because I feel weird about it.

Ugh.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 15, 2016, 02:16 (3020 days ago) @ cheapLEY

LEGO is trying to distance themselves from violence, especially after their last disaster...

Perhaps they could fix their tolerances

by Durandal, Monday, February 15, 2016, 17:47 (3019 days ago) @ Dundre

Most of the complaints I hear from my nephews about megablocks is that they don't always fit together. Their manufacturing tolerances are far more open then lego, so they tend to always have a few pieces that just don't fit, which is very frustrating.

Perhaps they could fix their tolerances

by Dundre, Norway, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 07:37 (3016 days ago) @ Durandal

I did some research and I think Mega Blocs had a better case than I gave them credit for. As for the tolerances: The quality of the lego sets are the golden standard, sure. My son is building effortlessly with legos from three generations, and they work great. Very few pieces show any signs of wear or discoloration. -Some are 60 years old! I hope this is what Mega Blocs is aiming for om the long run. If the reviews on the destiny sets are okay, I guess I give the old thumbs up. Definetly.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread