Elite controller config/learning curve (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 18:33 (2999 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 18:58

So I bought some hardware that theoretically enables me to use the Elite controller with my PS4. I'll let you know how that works. In anticipation of it working, I've started trying to learn to use the paddles (on the Xbox). This is what I've tried so far.

Upper left paddle: A
Lower left paddle: X
Upper right paddle: B
Lower right paddle: Y

Upper left paddle: X
Lower left paddle: Y
Upper right paddle: A
Lower right paddle: B

Upper left paddle: Y
Lower left paddle: X
Upper right paddle: A
Lower right paddle: B

I'm leaning toward the last one.

It's been kind of tough going. I'm holding the controller a little differently than usual and though I like the paddles when I remember to use them, I'm still flailing when I need them most. I've created a setting that disables the real buttons, which is forcing me to use the paddles. Any other tips?

I'm not completely comfortable using the lower left paddle because I have some numbness in my left ring finger (due to an old nerve injury). I think I can use it, but I might end up taking the lower left paddle off and using one of the buttons normally. Any nominees for which button doesn't get assigned? I'm thinking X or B.

I'm thinking of using this for Destiny of course, but I'm curious to hear from those of you who have successfully rewired your brain. Does it carry over to other games? What happens when you go back to old games?

Kermit

Elite controller config/learning curve

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 19:19 (2999 days ago) @ Kermit

I had to drop the lower two paddles in order for me to be able to use the controller without completely screwing up my grip. Apparently I like to hold the controller tight so those lower paddles were constantly being hit unintentionally.

I've settled on the following layout using the default controller scheme.

Upper Right: A/Jump
Upper Left: B/Duck-Slide

It would be extremely handy if I could map X to a lower paddle for elimination gametypes for revives. I just can't get used to more than two paddles at this time.

The FPS master used the first configuration.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 19:23 (2999 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't know if it's because they playtested it and determined it was better, or if they just did it. Food for thought.

[image]

BETRAYER!!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 20:19 (2999 days ago) @ Kermit

Something about turncoats and blasphemy!

Anyway, I use the paddles for sprinting. Nothing more, or less. Having to hold the stick in while waiting for my character to figure it out is pure thumb agony. I assigned all paddles to sprint so no matter which one I press, they run and they run NOW.

I used to set the upper ones to match the bumpers, but much like uno, that meant a lot of premature throwing. So I disabled it.

BETRAYER!!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 20:35 (2999 days ago) @ Morpheus

Something about turncoats and blasphemy!

What, for being on the PS4? I'm been there since the alpha or maybe the pre-alpha? Pretty damn early.

Anyway, I use the paddles for sprinting. Nothing more, or less. Having to hold the stick in while waiting for my character to figure it out is pure thumb agony. I assigned all paddles to sprint so no matter which one I press, they run and they run NOW.

Personally, I've got no problem pressing the thumb stick or moving my forefingers between the triggers or bumpers. (Never have mastered the Ottermack two-finger technique.) For me, the only benefit of paddles is not having to remove your thumbs from the sticks.

FYI

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 20:35 (2999 days ago) @ Morpheus

You never have to hold the stick in. You tap it in once while moving to activate sprint.

FYI

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 20:42 (2999 days ago) @ BeardFade

I know, but a lot of times, when I tap(especially in the Darkness when a Wizard is throttling my health away), nothing happens, and I start tapping over and over, to no infuriating effect, I wipe because my character is still just walking. I eventually learned you can hold it instead of spamming, and that (briefly) decreases the cooldown time. Going back to the holding it...(I have Carpal Tunnel. Goldeneye.)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 20:46 (2999 days ago) @ Kermit

Upper Left: Click Left Stick (Sprint)
Lower Left: X
Upper Right: Jump
Lower RIght: Duck

Lately I'm finding that I don't use the paddles much except for Sprint. I can't titan skate as fast with the paddles as I can on the A button. I may have to re-think my controller layout. The other problem is that I always forget that I can use the paddles, so I get used to just using the top buttons. Finally, I sometimes go play on my wife's controller and she has hers set differently which makes it hard to stick with my settings. Then again, she doesn't use the second profile so maybe I'll take that one over and I can just flip the switch to get my control layout back.

by Dundre, Norway, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 13:51 (2997 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I have settled with;
Top left - A
Bottom left - B
(Every once in a while, Bottom right - Y )

Not letting go of your right stick I find is a huge benefit when jumping and sliding. Reloading or changing weapons have animation "cooldowns" that give you more time to get your thumb back and do the adjustments.

Your right hand is used to doing a lot, so you can deal with Y and X. The question is if the paddles messes up your aim, and/or makes you randomly press them while flinching in those clutch moments. I would suggest using one paddle each side, or two om the left only.

I’m really interested to hear your results

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 17:04 (2997 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 17:49 (2997 days ago) @ Beorn

Me too. I love my Elite controller, but I hardly ever get to use it because I'm rarely on my Xbox.

I got catfished the other night

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 20:19 (2997 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Me too. I love my Elite controller, but I hardly ever get to use it because I'm rarely on my Xbox.

I received a game invite from you Monday night for doubles. I thought that was a little strange, but went for it. However, for some reason you sounded a lot like Korny lol

I got catfished the other night

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 20:49 (2997 days ago) @ unoudid

I received a game invite from you Monday night for doubles. I thought that was a little strange, but went for it. However, for some reason you sounded a lot like Korny lol

Lol! Yeah Korny volunteered to do me a favor because he loves me so much :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread