Anybody else playing The Division beta on PS4? (Gaming)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, February 19, 2016, 14:21 (2996 days ago)

I'm hoping to play a bunch of the open beta on Saturday (and possibly Sunday) night, and would like to try out some time in the dark zones with some buddies.

Anybody else have it downloaded yet (or is planning on downloading it this weekend) and wants to run together?

Anybody else playing The Division beta on PS4?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, February 19, 2016, 14:43 (2996 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'm hoping to play a bunch of the open beta on Saturday (and possibly Sunday) night, and would like to try out some time in the dark zones with some buddies.

Anybody else have it downloaded yet (or is planning on downloading it this weekend) and wants to run together?

It was 26 gigs, I think, and I played about an hour of it before I was bored enough to just delete it... If enough folks want to play it, I'll download it again...

It's a pretty unfun game. I agree.

by Funkmon @, Friday, February 19, 2016, 14:44 (2996 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, February 19, 2016, 14:50 (2996 days ago) @ Korny

If enough folks want to play it, I'll download it again...

I want to play it... Are you saying that I alone am not enough for you??

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 19, 2016, 15:24 (2996 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Just started remote downloading from work. If it's done by the time I get on tonight, I'd be happy to play together!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, February 19, 2016, 15:39 (2996 days ago) @ CyberKN

Just started remote downloading from work. If it's done by the time I get on tonight, I'd be happy to play together!

Cool! I won't be on tonight (going camping) - but I should be on the next two nights.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 19, 2016, 15:58 (2996 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Cool! I won't be on tonight (going camping) - but I should be on the next two nights.

That's fine- I just realized I have Vortech's VoG run tonight anyway (and I still have to sort through the loot from last nights KF runs)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 00:54 (2995 days ago) @ CyberKN

That's fine- I just realized I have Vortech's VoG run tonight anyway (and I still have to sort through the loot from last nights KF runs)

My what? Um, I didn't schedule something and forget did I? Cause I'm super out of town.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 02:53 (2995 days ago) @ Vortech

My what? Um, I didn't schedule something and forget did I? Cause I'm super out of town.

No, It was Marmott. I forget stuff a lot.

by Kahzgul, Friday, February 19, 2016, 16:10 (2996 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yessir. PSN: Kahzgul. If you ever see me online (for this or for Destiny) just shoot me a message or hop right into my party.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 19, 2016, 16:11 (2996 days ago) @ Speedracer513

It's… tempting. But it's the same kind of game as Destiny isn't it? And I'm trying not to play those types of games so much anymore, if at all. It's an MMORPG with third person shooting, right? Or are the RPG elements not heavy?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, February 19, 2016, 18:12 (2996 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's… tempting. But it's the same kind of game as Destiny isn't it?

From what I've watched of it so far, there seem to be a LOT of similarities, but The Dark Zone stuff looks like fun with friends. And heck, it's a free beta.

On a totally unrelated note, you mentioned a while back you were looking at getting Cities: Skylines, but weren't sure if it would meet your expectations. You can currently play it for free on Steam until 1PM on Sunday.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 03:19 (2996 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's… tempting. But it's the same kind of game as Destiny isn't it? And I'm trying not to play those types of games so much anymore, if at all. It's an MMORPG with third person shooting, right? Or are the RPG elements not heavy?

From my (admittedly limited) time with the previous beta, I'd say it's even worse. Imagine Destiny, but the shooting isn't fun and the art style is bland. That's The Division.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 00:56 (2995 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I disagree a bit. I think the RPG elements are much heavier; the shooting is much worse (about the same as any other Tom Clancy game) but I actually like the art direction.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 01:18 (2995 days ago) @ Vortech

I disagree a bit. I think the RPG elements are much heavier; the shooting is much worse (about the same as any other Tom Clancy game) but I actually like the art direction.

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is extremely pretty, technically speaking. It just seems sort of bland to me. It's another post-apocalyptic city, and while it's not using the grey-brown, washed out trend of last gen, it still doesn't seem that visually interesting.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 01:23 (2995 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think it's the Christmas stuff that's working for me. Something about a left behind/Christmas/pandemic mashup looks really interesting to my eyes. The 3D HUD is not Exactly innovative design, butit's impressive that they made it work well.

You clearly weren't online during a snowstorm.

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 22, 2016, 18:12 (2993 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Because DAMN. Everything gets covered in ice and snow, including the players. White-out conditions, flurries of snow that catch the light... It's the best inclement weather system I've ever seen in a game.

Probably just the city's weather systems malfunctioning.

by Funkmon @, Monday, February 22, 2016, 18:17 (2993 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Nope, but on Xbox One if anyone is interested there

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Friday, February 19, 2016, 21:35 (2996 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

Had a blast playing tonight

by Kahzgul, Saturday, February 20, 2016, 07:22 (2996 days ago) @ Speedracer513

The darkness zone is really where it's at. Running around the city is fun and all, but once you get to the darkness zone and are faced with the moral dilemma of letting someone get their gear out or killing him and taking his gear, or the fear of getting murdered for your own gear, it's really fun. Good gametype.

Also, I instantly like a lot of the game elements better than Destiny since they're not wholly RNG based. You can strip mods off guns and attach them to other guns, fast travel to the location of anyone in your group, see both actual damage per shot and overall DPS for all guns, as well as directly compare them to any of your equipped guns... It's like instead of being obtuse and vague, they're actually trying to help you understand, immediately, which weapon is better.

I really appreciate that.

Played it for 20 minutes, lost interest.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 22, 2016, 00:19 (2994 days ago) @ Speedracer513

So 20 minutes really isn't enough time to judge a game, especially a game as big and complex as The Devision. But what I do expect from the first 20 minutes of a game is for it to give me something, anything, to latch on to. The Devision didn't do that. The intro did nothing to make me care about the characters or what was going on. The game then leaves you to wander the streets while trying to decipher the cluttered mess that is the game's UI. The map is filled with icons that don't mean anything to the player (yet), some of which you can interact with in equally meaningless ways. Some people on the streets are bad guys, while others are friendly. I know this because my reticle turns red when I target some of them... that's the only reason I know I'm supposed to shoot certain people. The shooting itself feels mediocre. I was bored of the combat half way through my first gun fight. After walking down bland looking streets for a few blocks, I found a ladder which led me into a bland looking sewer. Walked around down there for a while, but there was absolutely nothing to do or see. Went above ground again, and realized I was too bored to even make it to my first waypoint.

I'm gonna try it again later, but as far as first impressions go, I don't have many positive things to say.

I did like the music, though.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 22, 2016, 00:42 (2994 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So 20 minutes really isn't enough time to judge a game

Sure it is. You really only need five.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 22, 2016, 13:44 (2994 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's how I felt after the demo at PAX. I've written here before about how they had coaches for every team--kind of neat in a way, but it could been seen as a bad sign that they didn't trust players to intuit enough about what to do to have a good experience. Of course the build was less complete then than it is now. Still hoping for a good campaign.

We got advice for the Halo 3 Recon truck demos.

by Funkmon @, Monday, February 22, 2016, 15:21 (2993 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Played it for 5 minutes, got trapped in a glitch *IMG

by Oholiab @, Monday, February 22, 2016, 03:04 (2994 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I walked through the HQ and approached the "situation board" or whatever it's called. As I was holding X, I somehow got glitched through the board and into the space beyond. I tried everything to get out, but no luck. I even quit and tried to continue as that character, thinking it would put me somewhere else. Nope, still stuck!

[image]

I enjoyed the beta myself *shrugs*

by Yapok @, Monday, February 22, 2016, 16:24 (2993 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

I BLAMing loved it

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 22, 2016, 18:22 (2993 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Holy crap was that fun.

People saying the controls are wonky and UI is confusing are spot on. Until you figure them out, at which point it all makes a lot of sense and becomes very intuitive.

The dark zone, especially, is crazy fun.

I probably put 10-15 hours in and I had a blast. Really, really great. The more I got into it, the better it got. Figuring out the symbols on the map took a while, but now I know and I'm glad they're all there. Getting used to the UI took a while, but it all makes sense now and I get why they did what they did. The design is really, really smart. Like crazy smart. Things you're going to use a lot (vendors, stash, restock, etc.) are all right at the entrance to the base. Gun mods can be chosen and applies as you desire, then stripped down from old guns to put onto new ones. God I wish Destiny did that. Almost no loading at all after the initial load into the world (even when entering the dark zone, it's seamless). No lag. Server swap was done live and instantly; I only knew it happened because i got a text message saying it was happening.

Weapons from different classes handle quite differently, but within the same class all feel pretty same-y. ARs probably have the most variance, mostly due to fire rate and recoil patterns.

Enemy AI seems to scale with the level of the enemy, so the level 2 guys just stand out in the open while the level 5 guys find cover and the level 8 guys actually yell at one another to flank and coordinate movement. The presence of certain "leader" enemies allows them to command the other enemies to charge you or throw grenades. Taking out those leaders left the other enemies uncoordinated and confused. It was fantastic.

Graphics are incredible, especially the weather effects and day/night cycle changes. Super impressive. About 80% of the objects in the world are destructible or at least register damage. Lots of NPCs walking around to make the game feel more real and alive.

Sound is the best I think I've ever heard. Many, many times I took off my headphones to see if the airplane flying sound was the game or a real airplane, or turned my head because a door opened in the game and I thought it was the door to my house opening. Guns sound incredible. Directional sound, echoes, players and enemies chatting... all awesome.

I'm 100% sold on this game now after the beta. The more I played, the more I appreciated all of the detail and design of it. It just got better and better the more I played.

Yeah its pretty great.

by Yapok @, Monday, February 22, 2016, 19:19 (2993 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

I may give it another chance after release if it's cheap.

by Funkmon @, Monday, February 22, 2016, 19:51 (2993 days ago) @ Yapok

- No text -

I'd like to Shareplay a higher level character eventually...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 22, 2016, 20:03 (2993 days ago) @ Funkmon

Still, the more I see and play, the closer my desire to play the final game approaches zero.

Worst UI in recent memory (and I've played quite a few "Early Access" games).

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 22, 2016, 20:44 (2993 days ago) @ Korny

Still, the more I see and play, the closer my desire to play the final game approaches zero.

Worst UI in recent memory (and I've played quite a few "Early Access" games).

The UI really grew on me (as did the play control). When I first got in I thought, "god this is a confusing mess" and "wow the guy won't go where I want him to" but by the end of it the guy was going exactly where I wanted, as quickly as I wanted, and the UI elements gave me loads of info quickly and efficiently. It's actually a really, surprisingly smart design. It's immersive to the setting of the game in that it all pretends to be augmented reality, and it also conveys all of the gameplay info you need. I imagine the full release will come with agent training or something to help show everyone what's going on in the UI (because it certainly has a lot of different pieces of information on screen at once) but in general it is actually very intuitive once you've deciphered it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 14:09 (2993 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I imagine the full release will come with agent training or something to help show everyone what's going on in the UI (because it certainly has a lot of different pieces of information on screen at once)

I should hope so!

but in general it is actually very intuitive once you've deciphered it.

Let's take a moment to just think about what you just said... Okay, now that's like saying "Robbing a bank is really easy once you get past the guards and get in the vault!"

I have never played it, so I can't judge. But just from your description, that's anything but intuitive.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 18:08 (2992 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I imagine the full release will come with agent training or something to help show everyone what's going on in the UI (because it certainly has a lot of different pieces of information on screen at once)

I should hope so!

Let's take a moment to just think about what you just said... Okay, now that's like saying "Robbing a bank is really easy once you get past the guards and get in the vault!"

I have never played it, so I can't judge. But just from your description, that's anything but intuitive.

Exactly. Intuitive means there shouldn't be anything you need to decipher or get past. I perhaps didn't play enough to truly judge, and I can accept that after more time the UI may have been good at what it needs to be good at, but it's anything but intuitive.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 18:53 (2992 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I should hope so!

I get what you're saying. I should have explained better.

All of the information you want is in intuitive places. You just don't know what the icons mean so you're not aware that the information is there. Once you decipher the icons, the response should be "oh, wow, okay, that's exactly what I hoped that would be."

Examples:

Your ammo, health, skill cooldowns, and active grenade are all in a little floating window next to your guy, just below where your crosshair is. You barely have to look away from your target in order to check those things, which is awesome. Your ammo display shows, stacked vertically, rounds in mag, remaining rounds for that weapon, rounds in your other weapon's mag. Until you know what those three numbers are, it's not totally clear what's going on, but once you figure that out, the placement makes a ton of sense.

On your mini map, there are all these different symbols: Green pentagons, purple squares with vertical lines, purple squares with three dots, blue circles with white stars... what is all that? Oh, it's encounters (like world events), loot containers, division tech containers, and cell phone/data collectible items. Learning the map key helped immensely.

Huh, why does this guy in the darkness zone have a red skull over his head? Oh, I see, it's to tell me he is killing other players. Why yes, that is information I would like to know as soon as I see the guy on my screen.

Floating Orange arrow and line... waypoint and nav marker for getting you where you want to go...

My point is that when you know what the thing is, the placement of it makes perfect sense. It's exactly where you'd want that information to be. Anything you want to access during play is right on your screen. Anything you want to access every now and then is in the pause menu, and anything you access only once or maybe twice (like settings) is probably a few menus deep.

As a former UI designer, I am SUPER impressed with the UI of The Division, and the more I got to play the game, the more impressed I was.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 18:58 (2992 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I should hope so!

All of the information you want is in intuitive places. You just don't know what the icons mean so you're not aware that the information is there. Once you decipher the icons, the response should be "oh, wow, okay, that's exactly what I hoped that would be."

Examples:

Your ammo, health, skill cooldowns, and active grenade are all in a little floating window next to your guy, just below where your crosshair is. You barely have to look away from your target in order to check those things, which is awesome. Your ammo display shows, stacked vertically, rounds in mag, remaining rounds for that weapon, rounds in your other weapon's mag. Until you know what those three numbers are, it's not totally clear what's going on, but once you figure that out, the placement makes a ton of sense.

On your mini map, there are all these different symbols: Green pentagons, purple squares with vertical lines, purple squares with three dots, blue circles with white stars... what is all that? Oh, it's encounters (like world events), loot containers, division tech containers, and cell phone/data collectible items. Learning the map key helped immensely.

Huh, why does this guy in the darkness zone have a red skull over his head? Oh, I see, it's to tell me he is killing other players. Why yes, that is information I would like to know as soon as I see the guy on my screen.

Floating Orange arrow and line... waypoint and nav marker for getting you where you want to go...

My point is that when you know what the thing is, the placement of it makes perfect sense. It's exactly where you'd want that information to be. Anything you want to access during play is right on your screen. Anything you want to access every now and then is in the pause menu, and anything you access only once or maybe twice (like settings) is probably a few menus deep.

As a former UI designer, I am SUPER impressed with the UI of The Division, and the more I got to play the game, the more impressed I was.

So you are saying the UI is very well done, but the communication for what the UI is is really crappy :-)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 16:08 (2991 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I should hope so!

Examples:

So you are saying the UI is very well done, but the communication for what the UI is is really crappy :-)

Exactly!

I imagine that the full release of the game will have some kind of tutorial that explains all of it.

There was also a bunch of small touch things I really liked, such as sprinting while climbing up a ladder double-times it and sprinting on the way down slides. Or you can click the left thumbstick while aiming to switch which shoulder you're holding the gun at so you expose yourself as little as possible around corners. You can even do the switch while ADSing with a scope.

The only control thing that stuck me as weird was that you can crouch behind objects, but if there's no object nearby you have to stand straight up. I feel like you should at least be able to take a knee, and boy would I love to be able to go prone.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread