Some early thoughts on the Division (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 21:17 (2977 days ago)

I caved and bought the Division yesterday. Thanks to a perfect storm of events (late evening nap + sick daughter who wouldn't sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time) I ended up playing the game from about 1am-5am, so I'm starting to get a feel for how it all works. Some initial thoughts jump out to me (mix of positive and negative):

* No story is better than a really bad story

Destiny has taken plenty of knocks for its lack of story or character development, and rightfully so. While the Division clearly makes an effort to establish characters with motive and personality, and have you develop a relationship with them, I've already found myself wishing the game had a Destiny-like void in that department. The writing in the Division is that bad. I'm talking worst of the worst, overblown dialog that flipflops between painfully cliche and utter nonsense. Making things worse is the fact that the player character never says a word, never reacts to anything these idiots are rambling on about. I've already begun skipping cutscenes because what little info they communicate about the plot just isn't worth sitting through the horrible dialog and voice acting.

* This game NEEDS to be played with other people, which they make easy to do

So far, I'd say the combat in the Division is passable at best. Sloppy shooting mechanics, boring weapons, bullet-sponge enemies. I played a couple missions solo and was this close to putting the game down for good. Luckily, the game features easy-to-use matchmaking that you can use to put a squad together at any time. Playing with a group makes all the difference in the world, IMO. While the shooting isn't great, the environments are designed in a way that really supports squad coordination, flanking, and setting up cross-lanes of fire. Shooting the guns still doesn't feel good, but there is fun to be had in figuring out how to position everyone in your squad to effectively deal with the floods of bullet-sponge enemies.

Again, the Division features great matchmaking that you can use to join a group at any time, for any activity. From the mission select map, I hit the "matchmake" button and was paired up with another player looking to do the same mission I had selected. As we were running through the streets together towards the mission waypoint, a 3rd player was warped into our group, then a 4th. We played the mission together as a 4-man team, and after it was over the squad leader set a new waypoint on our map (for the next available story mission) and we just kept rolling together. We'd stop and do little side events as we came across them, then continue on to the next story mission. Missions start and end seamlessly; the squad is never broken up or warped to different parts of the map. Missions end in such a way that you just leave the area and are back into the main patrol spaces.
Overall, I found it to be a smoother and more well thought out co-op experience than Destiny. You can matchmake to do any activity you like, then leave the group or keep playing with them without ever "bouncing back to orbit" or any similar breaks in gameplay.

* This game is an impressive example of big-team production

While I generally find Ubisoft games a bit hit and miss, the one thing they consistently do very well is present an impressive package. Even if I don't end up enjoying the game, I love booting up a new Ubisoft title just to see hundreds of thousands of man-hours and millions of dollars up on screen all at the same time. The Division is no exception. The amount of detail in the world, weather effects, animations, sound design... it's all a bit staggering. It doesn't capture my imagination the way something like Destiny does, but there is still lots of artistry to the way New York has been realized and put together. It makes me wish that the story was better... the setting does a good job of making me feel a bit melancholy. I really do feel like I'm walking around a torn-apart New York. If the rest of the narrative weren't so ham-fisted, it would be a very powerful experience.

Just some initial ramblings off the top of my head. Anyone else playing it? Thoughts?

Some early thoughts on the Division

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 22:58 (2977 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just some initial ramblings off the top of my head. Anyone else playing it? Thoughts?

Yeah, thanks for the write up! I actually came here tonight to make a post asking for impressions. I played the beta for all of about thirty minutes before I got so bored I turned it off and deleted it, which seemed to be the same thing that happened to you from what you said on the RUL podcast (I was beginning to wonder if we were going to get one at all anytime soon! I'm glad it's back!).

So far, I'd say the combat in the Division is passable at best. Sloppy shooting mechanics, boring weapons, bullet-sponge enemies. I played a couple missions solo and was this close to putting the game down for good.

That about sums up my entire (very limited experience) with the game. I was looking for impressions, because even with my initial disinterest from the beta, it still seems like an interesting game, and I find the Dark Zone really intriguing. But I just can't get past how boring and mediocre the moment-to-moment gameplay is. I've said it before here, so I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but from everything I've seen, this game just isn't for me. That's okay--I'm ultimately better off not adding another huge game to the list of things I need to play, especially one that seems like it'll be following in Destiny's footsteps of trying to get me to play as much as possible. It's just disappointing, because I had high hopes for it. Maybe it's not fair of me to not give it a real shot, but I guess that's just how it is. I've missed out on plenty of great games in the past, so what's one more?

For now, I'll be in Stardew Valley building a farm.

Some early thoughts on the Division

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 00:24 (2977 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So far, I'd say the combat in the Division is passable at best. Sloppy shooting mechanics, boring weapons, bullet-sponge enemies.

Regarding the weapons: I haven't played the game myself, but I have heard several people say the weapons get better down the line. How or to what degree, I don't know.

I concur

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 10, 2016, 00:47 (2977 days ago) @ stabbim

The marksman rifles and shotguns I got later in the Betas were significantly more satisfying to use than the generic rifles and SMGs we get by default.

Still, I found the Betas, at least, very lacking in the replayability factor. Maybe crafting makes it better?

My thoughts on your Post.

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 10:33 (2977 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I caved and bought the Division yesterday. Thanks to a perfect storm of events (late evening nap + sick daughter who wouldn't sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time) I ended up playing the game from about 1am-5am, so I'm starting to get a feel for how it all works. Some initial thoughts jump out to me (mix of positive and negative):

I hope your daughter gets to feeling better!!

Destiny has taken plenty of knocks for its lack of story or character development, and rightfully so. While the Division clearly makes an effort to establish characters with motive and personality, and have you develop a relationship with them, I've already found myself wishing the game had a Destiny-like void in that department. The writing in the Division is that bad. I'm talking worst of the worst, overblown dialog that flipflops between painfully cliche and utter nonsense. Making things worse is the fact that the player character never says a word, never reacts to anything these idiots are rambling on about. I've already begun skipping cutscenes because what little info they communicate about the plot just isn't worth sitting through the horrible dialog and voice acting.

The Story does suck. "There is a virus, people die, you are secret division man going into new york" is about all the backstory you get. The intels/collectibles offer alot of insight as to what is actually going on and the Echoes are a pretty cool feature to learn about smaller events that happened. I came to a food truck in the street that had an echo. There was food and dead people all around. After playing the echo and hearing the voices and seeing the gangs come and attack, pretty cool IMO. Plus it kind of has a sandlike reaction when you walk through them =]

Missions start and end seamlessly; the squad is never broken up or warped to different parts of the map. Missions end in such a way that you just leave the area and are back into the main patrol spaces.
Overall, I found it to be a smoother and more well thought out co-op experience than Destiny. You can matchmake to do any activity you like, then leave the group or keep playing with them without ever "bouncing back to orbit" or any similar breaks in gameplay.

THIS! SO MUCH. I love how you integrated New York is. You fight through relatively long ( at least on hard) missions up into buildings and down into subways, but once you are done you are free to explore. Some of your Shorter missions force you to walk out the way you came in. The longer missions usually have a shortcut back to the streets to get you back into the fight without loading screens or mission selection.

I love it so far

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 10:49 (2977 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

While the shooting Mechanics are sloppy, the story lacking, I cant stop playing it. I am a very big Tom Clancy fan. The last game I got was Splinter Cell Blacklist. I watching some of the Rainbox Six Siege and was not too impressed (Rainbow six was probably my least favorite of the Clancy Games).

Mechanics:

The game overall feels smooth, which was not how I remember during my short beta time. The shooting is choppy, and do not allow for landing every bullet. I found myself using Assault rifles up until late last night. I picked up a Military Scar-H, which is a 20 round semi-auto rifle. I put a rifle scope on it and took to the streets. I immediately fell in love again. Consistently landed all of my shots. I never tried one before because of the DMG rating on it was always lower than my current auto rifle. HOWEVER, if you actually look at the stats, the DPS doesnt necessarily mean stronger. My auto rifle had a damage of 438 per shot, while the Scar was 1000(don't hold me to the numbers). Try all the guns and see what you like.

The ability to Mod/craft weapons and gear is nice.

User Interface- AMAZING. At first I was annoyed by all of the indicators that tell you where you can take cover. After looking through the options, you can actually turn that off, and turn off the settings that allow the UI to move erratically. After doing that my game experience got a lot better. The world map is also great. It loads instantly, is simple yet effective, and the waypoint markers are clear and positioned so that they are easy to find but never in the way.

Gear- I feel alot less attached to my gear than Destiny. The armor relatively looks all the same, but the subtle changes are nice. The appearance gear (jacket, shirt, scarf) are all I really care about because they stand out. As far as weapons, I just look at the stats and roll with it. This can be good and bad.

TL:DR I am loving the Division. I found a couple guys I have played with every night since tuesday and we have alot of fun. I do not feel rushed when playing the game. Most games i just find myself sprinting to the objective skipping all the side stuff/collectibles. In this game, I do not feel rushed. Its like a nice walk in Central Park, with guns. and Cleaners with flamethrowers..

Some early thoughts

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 11:01 (2977 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just woke up. This is what I am thinking.

Why is the Division so not fun, when other demonstrably unfun games like Firewatch or Life Is Strange get a pass from us?

Why are TV antennas so expensive?

Why are duplicated keys so cheap?

How the hell did I lose my cane? I almost died yesterday walking without it.

I think socks are good.

Some early thoughts

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 12:11 (2977 days ago) @ Funkmon

I think socks are good.

But how do they taste?

Some early thoughts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:14 (2977 days ago) @ Funkmon

Why is the Division so not fun, when other demonstrably unfun games like Firewatch or Life Is Strange get a pass from us?

Having played Firewatch it does not get a pass from me. It was bad. Life is Strange gets a pass because A. It actually was fun and B. Even though it made mistakes it was still an interesting and engrossing game.

Not everything is supposed to be "fun".

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 01:34 (2976 days ago) @ Funkmon

Calling Firewatch "not fun" is on a level with disliking a film because it has an unhappy ending.

In fact, it is EXACTLY like that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 01:47 (2976 days ago) @ narcogen

Calling Firewatch "not fun" is on a level with disliking a film because it has an unhappy ending.

Please explain? Nothing about an ending being 'happy' or 'unhappy' has to do with whether a film is enjoyable to watch. Unhappy endings are often appropriate.

If a game is not fun to play, it is a bad game. Firewatch was not fun to play. It is a bad game. FOR ME IN MY OPINION.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 02:08 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

FOR ME IN MY OPINION.

I laughed pretty hard. Can that just be your forum signature from now on? (:

In all fairness, that is how forums work.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, March 11, 2016, 07:13 (2976 days ago) @ cheapLEY

People post their opinions on things.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 08:23 (2976 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

In fairness, some never seem to understand how arrogant they come across when they present their opinions in exactly the same manner as they would present facts.

Exactly, IMHO.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 12:07 (2976 days ago) @ Kermit

In fairness, some never seem to understand how arrogant they come across when they present their opinions in exactly the same manner as they would present facts.

Exactly.

"I did not like Game X" is an opinion. One can also be specific about why if one wishes to share with others, as outside of opinion polls, the bare expression of like or dislike might not be terribly useful to other people. Why you dislike (or like) a thing can be very helpful to know and even entertaining in itself to find out!

"Game X is not a good game" has the appearance of an assertion of fact, usually added intentionally to add weight or credibility to an expression of personal preference by appealing to the language of objective evaluation. Adding "in my opinion" is doublespeak designed to circumvent criticism from those who challenge the statement of fact, quickly diverting the discussion into endless recursive cycles of "I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're just oversensitive" rather than evaluating the initial statement.

I used to love the old Siskel & Ebert show on PBS. I liked the structure, I liked the simple upvote/downvote binary of it. I liked the fact that despite being published professional critics who had extremely strong opinions about things, they always started things off with asking each other if they liked the film, and why or why not. After that initial point the rhetoric ramped up, but the structure was never really designed to give the impression that they were evaluating on any kind of an objective scale-- it was really whether they liked the film or not, and if they would suggest other people should watch it-- usually with caveats based on content and genre.

If you like good writing and voice acting and are OK with a walking simulator with no combat or puzzles-- indeed, no real gameplay at all other than dialogue trees-- trees that mostly affect how your character reacts to what happens, rather than what actually happens-- if having a small story executed well sounds like an enjoyable experience to you, then Firewatch may be your cup of tea.

If you want player choice to affect the broad scope of a story, like those old choose-your-own-adventure books where anything can happen as a result of any choice, then Firewatch won't give you that.

If you want something to challenge your mental faculties or your hand/eye coordination, Firewatch won't give you that.

If you disliked the ending of Mass Effect 3, Firewatch will pee in your cereal and give you cancer.

Exactly, IMHO.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:34 (2976 days ago) @ narcogen

"Game X is not a good game" has the appearance of an assertion of fact,

In what universe? The idiocy is really getting to me. Imagine you are talking about food. You tell someone "This is a good pie". That's OBVIOUSLY an opinion. So why when I say that something is a bad game is that also taken as an opinion? Everything anybody ever says is their opinion, unless it's factual in some way or a quotation. Good and Bad are subjective words, so in no possible way can they be used any way except as subjective.

This is getting really annoying. That is why I wrote the last sentence in caps sarcastically, because it shouldn't even need to be said that it's all my opinion. If Firewatch were somehow objectively a bad game, then nobody on the planet would have enjoyed it. Some people did, therefore it's not objectively bad. Use common sense and we save a lot of hostility.

Exactly, IMHO.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:03 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The way you express your opinions comes across as hostile. Enough people have tried explaining this to you over the years. I'm not going to waste more effort on it.

Hey, cool down

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:08 (2976 days ago) @ Kermit

Don't let the past color the present.

In this case, Cody even wrote a disclaimer that it was his opinion.

In the time I've been on DBO, I've never read him attack anyone personally. In my mind, that's pretty important.

Sure, he disagrees with people's ideas, and he states his opinions without qualifiers sometimes. But for everyone, communication is often impetuous and imperfect.

There could be (and have been) much worse ways to behave on this forum.

Can't we all just get along?

Yeah, whoops.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:23 (2976 days ago) @ marmot 1333

This conversation might be happening regardless, but now I regret kicking it off.

My comment was supposed to be a lighthearted joke, not spark a discussion we've had all too many times before. Sorry. ):

Hey, cool down

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 17:05 (2975 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Dude, I'm cool. I don't need to cool down.

I'm really not mad. Cody expresses himself in absolutes. This antagonizes people who disagree with him. When people express this, he acts incredulous--how could what he said not be opinion? It's OBVIOUS, he says, implying that he's not the problem, which is antagonizing in a different way. To be clear, NO ONE SAID IT WASN'T JUST AN OPINION, CODY, BUT YOUR STYLE DOES NOT PROMOTE CIVILITY.

The forum is an opinion-rich environment, of course. Therefore, it behooves everyone to express themselves in way that acknowledges this truth, and there are countless ways to do so that are in no way onerous--except to Cody apparently.

Hey, cool down

by Avateur @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 20:26 (2975 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Avateur, Friday, March 11, 2016, 20:31

I still find it funny that after years of dealing with this from Cody, others, or myself, you haven't figured out that it's not worth responding to or putting in the time or effort if you think whatever was said was out of arrogance or malice or whatever. Or just realizing that even though something may be posted bombastically, it may be due to feeling strongly about whatever is being stated in said opinion as opposed to trying to be hostile. Much like your complaints to Cody or myself ring true time and again, your (and a select few of others') reactions pop up as identical as before.

I would say that you, and those same few people, just don't like Cody, myself, or others very much (with or without good reason, I'm not denying culpability here), and enjoy turning whatever posts into something more instead of just taking them at face value. Cody may or may not learn, but apparently hasn't. I learn but sometimes just don't care about tone and post for some silly reason (you'd be proud if you knew how many times I don't post my thoughts when I feel they'll contribute nothing even if they'd make me happy to post). You also don't learn and get into these exchanges. Generally, nothing productive comes from any of it, I suppose.

This has all been very reflective. I considered making this one of those posts that I typed out and closed out of, but nah. Food for thought. Don't take this as a personal attack, please. I just find the whole thing interesting, both from how I go about posting and getting replied to as well as how those like yourself end up perceiving or taking issue with posts and replying. A bunch of us have a lot to learn still. It's frustrating sometimes, fun other times, and sometimes we all end up a lot better because of it. Either way, I enjoy reading your posts and agree with them most of the time (even when they're putting me in line). Other times I horribly, absolutely disagree with you all over the place (not the majority of the time).

Oh, and I also find it interesting how people here can totally throw down here at DBO and sometimes literally within minutes join up in Destiny and laugh about it and play together and have a blast all while the forums (or those particular players and their friends while on the forums) implode a bit. We're a weird bunch.

Hey, cool down

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 21:55 (2975 days ago) @ Avateur

I still find it funny that after years of dealing with this from Cody, others, or myself, you haven't figured out that it's not worth responding to or putting in the time or effort if you think whatever was said was out of arrogance or malice or whatever. Or just realizing that even though something may be posted bombastically, it may be due to feeling strongly about whatever is being stated in said opinion as opposed to trying to be hostile. Much like your complaints to Cody or myself ring true time and again, your (and a select few of others') reactions pop up as identical as before.

Someone said the essence of writing is rewriting. I might borrow that to justify yet another reply to Cody. I keep thinking I'll distill what the problem is. I hope that I'm clearer and more succinct that I've been before, but maybe not. That was the motivation for my initial post. I thought I expressed an insight I hadn't quite expressed as clearly before, to rebut the "obviously an opinion" line that regularly comes up. Narcogen understood me, at least.

I would say that you, and those same few people, just don't like Cody, myself, or others very much (with or without good reason, I'm not denying culpability here), and enjoy turning whatever posts into something more instead of just taking them at face value.

Disagree here, but several other people seem to think I was spitting mad or something. Not at all. I like Cody quite a lot and always enjoy playing with him and talking with him online. (I admit to liking the real Cody better than his forum persona.) Same with you, but we've played less. I've even met you in real life, and I have fond memories of hanging out. (Remember passing my Halo soundtracks back to Marty and Joe for me so they could sign it without the cellophane on it? I remember that moment with gratitude.)

Cody may or may not learn, but apparently hasn't. I learn but sometimes just don't care about tone and post for some silly reason (you'd be proud if you knew how many times I don't post my thoughts when I feel they'll contribute nothing even if they'd make me happy to post). You also don't learn and get into these exchanges. Generally, nothing productive comes from any of it, I suppose.

Productive? Probably not--this is a site about a hobby, but I try to be constructive. Sometimes, though, it's best not to post. Good on you for restraining yourself. I could certainly work on that, too.

This has all been very reflective. I considered making this one of those posts that I typed out and closed out of, but nah. Food for thought. Don't take this as a personal attack, please. I just find the whole thing interesting, both from how I go about posting and getting replied to as well as how those like yourself end up perceiving or taking issue with posts and replying. A bunch of us have a lot to learn still. It's frustrating sometimes, fun other times, and sometimes we all end up a lot better because of it. Either way, I enjoy reading your posts and agree with them most of the time (even when they're putting me in line). Other times I horribly, absolutely disagree with you all over the place (not the majority of the time).

Back at you.

Oh, and I also find it interesting how people here can totally throw down here at DBO and sometimes literally within minutes join up in Destiny and laugh about it and play together and have a blast all while the forums (or those particular players and their friends while on the forums) implode a bit. We're a weird bunch.

Sounds like most families I've known. :)

Hey, cool down

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 11, 2016, 22:14 (2975 days ago) @ Kermit

Sounds like most families I've known. :)

That right there tugged at my heart strings way more than I would have expected it to.

:)

Exactly, IMHO.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 23:30 (2975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Game X is not a good game" has the appearance of an assertion of fact,

In what universe? The idiocy is really getting to me. Imagine you are talking about food. You tell someone "This is a good pie". That's OBVIOUSLY an opinion. So why when I say that something is a bad game is that also taken as an opinion? Everything anybody ever says is their opinion, unless it's factual in some way or a quotation. Good and Bad are subjective words, so in no possible way can they be used any way except as subjective.

This is getting really annoying. That is why I wrote the last sentence in caps sarcastically, because it shouldn't even need to be said that it's all my opinion. If Firewatch were somehow objectively a bad game, then nobody on the planet would have enjoyed it. Some people did, therefore it's not objectively bad. Use common sense and we save a lot of hostility.

Right on schedule! You're so reliable.

Adding "in my opinion" is doublespeak designed to circumvent criticism from those who challenge the statement of fact, quickly diverting the discussion into endless recursive cycles of "I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're just oversensitive" rather than evaluating the initial statement.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 12:50 (2976 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

That was my point, and the joke. People always jump all over Cody for not making it clear what he says are only opinions, as if they could be anything else.

*fistbump*

by ProbablyLast, Friday, March 11, 2016, 13:05 (2976 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:28 (2976 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That was my point, and the joke. People always jump all over Cody for not making it clear what he says are only opinions, as if they could be anything else.

There's a reason people jump on Cody. See my post.

But there's so much more! :)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:08 (2976 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

People can share fun, relate their experiences, tell stories, gain deeper insight on different perspectives, solve puzzles, post art, dig into story and lore and uncover new artifacts, provide gameplay tips, raise money, unite communities, assemble gatherings and parties, provide encouragement or condolences, and overall, create meaningful memories. :)

Opinions, at least in the form of rigid or harsh judgments, can sometimes unintentionally become barriers to all that above, from my experience.

Sure, the Internet is usually much better at the later, but B.Org has always been a great example for all the rest that's possible. :)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 11, 2016, 02:54 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, dunno about Firewatch, but I have watch dozens of films who are entirely unenjoyable to watch but are still interesting in what they made me ponder about. Also, horror flicks.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 04:27 (2976 days ago) @ ZackDark

Well, dunno about Firewatch, but I have watch dozens of films who are entirely unenjoyable to watch but are still interesting in what they made me ponder about. Also, horror flicks.

What about horror movies? They are fun to watch because people who like them enjoy being scared.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 11, 2016, 07:18 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Eh, I guess that's valid, if true. Entirely opposite feelings for me, so it doesn't make sense in my head, though. Always thought it was the rush of "everything is ok now, phew" they got after the movie that was the fun part for people who enjoy horror flicks.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:38 (2976 days ago) @ ZackDark

Eh, I guess that's valid, if true. Entirely opposite feelings for me, so it doesn't make sense in my head, though. Always thought it was the rush of "everything is ok now, phew" they got after the movie that was the fun part for people who enjoy horror flicks.

Either way, they end up enjoying the experience overall. Not everybody has to enjoy everything in the same manner.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 05:03 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Please explain? Nothing about an ending being 'happy' or 'unhappy' has to do with whether a film is enjoyable to watch. Unhappy endings are often appropriate.

If a game is not fun to play, it is a bad game. Firewatch was not fun to play. It is a bad game. FOR ME IN MY OPINION.

If you say so. I have watched several slightly different playthroughs so far and enjoyed them all. What I see a lot of are apoplectic reactions to the ending, because I think they oversold certain elements to mask other elements. If that wasn't your issue, then fine

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 05:18 (2976 days ago) @ narcogen

I'll say something different. I thought the ending was good. I went though figuring one of us was going to be a murderer but I liked the ending. I liked the game fine, too. 7/10. It wasn't fun, though, in the same way listening to the Clive Merrison Sherlock Holmes radio dramas (the superior Holmes, IMO), isn't fun. We can still have a good time.

For another example, I'm actually replaying LIS on my tablet while doing downtime at school, and on my Xbox. I am having a good experience, but not fun. The dumpy puzzles, the lame photo taking metagame, the awful control of the character. Not a fun game. But I like seeing what changing choices does.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:29 (2976 days ago) @ Funkmon

I'll say something different. I thought the ending was good. I went though figuring one of us was going to be a murderer but I liked the ending. I liked the game fine, too. 7/10. It wasn't fun, though, in the same way listening to the Clive Merrison Sherlock Holmes radio dramas (the superior Holmes, IMO), isn't fun. We can still have a good time.

For whatever it's worth, I liked the ending too. The resolution of that plot was fine, but though whole spiral into conspiracy itself was really dumb. At the end of the day, that's the game they wanted to make, but I'd have much rather played the game it was at the beginning--a man dealing with his feeling of failure, his totally shitty situation, maybe his struggle of falling in love with some woman he's never even met. That seems infinitely more interesting than thinking they're being a part of some experiment or conspiracy.

I enjoyed the game while I was playing it, so maybe that counts as "fun" but it's certainly not anything resembling the "fun" I feel when playing something like Destiny or more traditional video games.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 05:28 (2976 days ago) @ narcogen

If you say so. I have watched several slightly different playthroughs so far and enjoyed them all. What I see a lot of are apoplectic reactions to the ending, because I think they oversold certain elements to mask other elements. If that wasn't your issue, then fine

So you are defending a game you haven't even played? Games are meant to be played dude. You cannot with any kind of seriousness give me a review of a game if you haven't even tried it.

I'm really shocked here.

He's giving you the let's players' reviews by proxy I think.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 05:43 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Not quite

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 07:05 (2976 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was on the fence about whether or not to get the game.

I chose one of the LPers I regularly watch who was doing a series on it to check it out and see if I wanted to get it.

I got so completely sucked into what was going on in the game that I couldn't bring myself to stop watching before it ended.

I realized that because of the way the game is designed, there's very little reason or justification for repeat play. (I tend to have problems in RPGs because while a repeat play is a chance to do things differently I often end up feeling the same way about certain choices and so end up doing the same things over again.)

So in lieu of doing that, I watched some other LPers.

I so enjoyed them that I've watched about four of them, and now I feel bad because I enjoyed all of those, and yet I hadn't paid for the game. I enjoyed all the content the devs made, but I didn't pay anyone for it.

Blackstar hasn't seen the game yet, so we're going to do our own LP-- he plays and I comment, but without spoiling anything. I do think that some people are affected by the story at a certain point in a way that the authors intended, but to a great degree than the authors intended, and I want to see if I can mitigate this effect without spoiling things.

If Blackstar ends up being satisfied with the game, then I'll chalk that up as one referral sale and I'll feel like I've absolved myself. If not, then I'll trade him something for his steam code, and I'll have paid for my experience directly, even if I never actually play it myself (which, to be honest, I probably will at some point anyway).

This, for instance, is not

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 06:57 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So you are defending a game you haven't even played? Games are meant to be played dude. You cannot with any kind of seriousness give me a review of a game if you haven't even tried it.

I'm really shocked here.

If you've played it and haven't noticed that there's almost nothing you can get out of it by playing that you can't get by watching someone else play, then you weren't really paying attention. Heck, that's why I didn't bother to ask you what you didn't like about it, because I never expected you to like it.

I expected you to be disappointed that there's no real gameplay, make a bunch of choices, realize that those choices don't matter in a gameplay sense, and then once again bemoan the lack of a clearly signposted DMZ between "real video games" and other forms of newfangled electronic entertainment that refuse to realize that nothing can be good or enjoyable unless it slides all the way towards noninteractive (TV, movies) or all the way the other way to become Halo or Super Meat Boy or something, and then I'd thank you for defending the racial purity of the definition of video game, because it means none of the rest of us have to bother with such silly nonsense.

I suppose someday soon that segment will be large enough that it'll have its own category on Amazon and its own wall of shelves in the stores (if those still exist) and so they won't be pissing in your wading pool, but you can still go hang out at the mall and tell the walking simulators to get off your lawn.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:42 (2976 days ago) @ narcogen

If you've played it and haven't noticed that there's almost nothing you can get out of it by playing that you can't get by watching someone else play, then you weren't really paying attention.

You had to do NONE of the mapping and figuring out where to go in that game. The person you watched did that himself. If you think that someone else figuring out where to go and how to get there versus YOU doing it is an insignificant difference, you are completely and utterly wrong.

You would see how tedious it is, and you can't zone out or skip like you could on a let's play. Even if your attention was 100% focused on the video the entire time, it's STILL different because the let's player is doing the route planning and moving the character and you aren't.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:14 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You had to do NONE of the mapping and figuring out where to go in that game. The person you watched did that himself. If you think that someone else figuring out where to go and how to get there versus YOU doing it is an insignificant difference, you are completely and utterly wrong.

It's pretty insignificant. Making choices like throwing crap in the lake and cleaning up litter, on the other hand, really make a difference, I think. And choosing where to take your photos. Little things personalize the experience, but I don't think the orienteering is in any way significant.

The stars are wrong, there's no way to tell where you're going by the sun, other methods don't work. You must use the map and compass, and those do basically nothing. They just funnel you into hallways disguised as outdoors. It's like saying a significant part of the trip to Florida is reading your TripTik.

I think we agree for different reasons, and to what degree. I think Narc got 85% of the experience.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 11, 2016, 23:35 (2975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you've played it and haven't noticed that there's almost nothing you can get out of it by playing that you can't get by watching someone else play, then you weren't really paying attention.

So yes I guess there are things I could have gotten out of it-- boredom and frustration, which an LPer can cut out. So I'll admit that my experience was probably better than those who played it, but I'm willing to accept it as a cost of doing business on that side. When I do my own playthrough I'll see.

You would see how tedious it is, and you can't zone out or skip like you could on a let's play. Even if your attention was 100% focused on the video the entire time, it's STILL different because the let's player is doing the route planning and moving the character and you aren't.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 12, 2016, 00:10 (2975 days ago) @ narcogen

So yes I guess there are things I could have gotten out of it-- boredom and frustration, which an LPer can cut out. So I'll admit that my experience was probably better than those who played it,

So when a video game, which is about interactivity, turns out to be worse to actually play than it is to simply watch, you can actually defend that?

I might not surprise you, but you have been surprising me lately!

I'm just talking in this thread for no real reason.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, March 12, 2016, 06:09 (2975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just because a hamburger is better as a burger doesn't mean it isn't a good hoagie.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, March 12, 2016, 11:51 (2975 days ago) @ Funkmon

If you decide to get a hoagie and end up with a hamburger, you have failed.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 12, 2016, 14:36 (2975 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Actually, life has smiled upon you, for once. Embrace it.

How dare you.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, March 12, 2016, 14:53 (2975 days ago) @ ZackDark

Hoagies > burgers.

Not even close, really.

How dare you.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 12, 2016, 15:55 (2975 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I agree. Liking hoagies definitely leads to the majestic life of burgers.

;)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 01:13 (2972 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So yes I guess there are things I could have gotten out of it-- boredom and frustration, which an LPer can cut out. So I'll admit that my experience was probably better than those who played it,

So when a video game, which is about interactivity, turns out to be worse to actually play than it is to simply watch, you can actually defend that?

I can defend it as a creative work without feeling the need to pigeonhole it by saying that it is called a "video game" and therefore must behave like other video games. I didn't expect the navigation to be rewarding, so it wasn't that bad when it was basically just environmental filler-- some nice views, some side content.

I think your experience was probably typical, though-- I know it bugged Funkmon when it turned out the map wasn't a real topographical map, and that he couldn't navigate by the stars, either, but that's the problem of managing expectations. Having already watched someone play the game, I knew it wasn't about those things, not remotely, so even when I play the game now I don't expect anything from those segments.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 14:52 (2972 days ago) @ narcogen

I can defend it as a creative work without feeling the need to pigeonhole it by saying that it is called a "video game" and therefore must behave like other video games.

This is not some edge case blurring the lines between media. It is very clearly a video game, and should absolutely work as such.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 15:07 (2972 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 15:13

I can defend it as a creative work without feeling the need to pigeonhole it by saying that it is called a "video game" and therefore must behave like other video games.

This is not some edge case blurring the lines between media. It is very clearly a video game, and should absolutely work as such.

Gone Home works as well as it does because it is presented in the interactive medium. I think the idea of "video game" is going away as "walking simulators" and VR experiences are becoming more popular. Would Gone Home work better as a book? I think it would lose some value as a book. I'm sure it could be done, but the ideal way to experience it is as a "video game".

Dear Esther is probably one of the earlier examples. All you do is walk around and trigger sound bytes. Could you do that in a book? Sure. Does it lose value because of the fact that it was presented as a video game (a Source mod, no less?)? No. I think that attitude is why you didn't enjoy Firewatch as much as others.

You have a skewed opinion about what certain things NEED to be. It's an extremely narrow and unpopular opinion, but it's okay that you feel that way.

I'd love to see what you feel about Outlast. It's a great example of a challenging experience that isn't inherently "fun" as you're defenselessly struggling to avoid enemies in the dark while managing a handful of batteries for a few hours. And yet Outlast + Whistleblower is one of my favorite video games of this generation.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 15, 2016, 18:49 (2971 days ago) @ Korny

I'd love to see what you feel about Outlast. It's a great example of a challenging experience that isn't inherently "fun" as you're defenselessly struggling to avoid enemies in the dark while managing a handful of batteries for a few hours. And yet Outlast + Whistleblower is one of my favorite video games of this generation.

I have not heard of or tried Outlast but I will look it up. I played a game yesterday called To the Moon. It's pretty much a walking simulator as well. You just go from one dialogue sequence to the next. The story was great, but it would have gained everything and lost nothing as a film.

I am not against Walking simulators per se, so long as the interaction is meaningful in some way and the immersion flows from that.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 11, 2016, 15:05 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm really shocked here.

"Either way, they end up enjoying the experience overall. Not everybody has to enjoy everything in the same manner." -Cody Miller

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:04 (2976 days ago) @ Korny

I'm really shocked here.

"Either way, they end up enjoying the experience overall. Not everybody has to enjoy everything in the same manner." -Cody Miller

If you want to give me a review of the experience of watching someone play Firewatch, that is fine. But if you want to give me a review of the game itself, you have to play it.

Unless it belongs to an objectively, demonstrably bad genre?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:27 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Unless it belongs to an objectively, demonstrably bad genre?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:48 (2975 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yes. Games in genres are similar because you do the same things. If you've played one, you have a reasonable idea of what other games in the genre are like because you can examine the mechanics.

It's okay

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 12:40 (2977 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Pretty much just okay though. Things Destiny executed poorly are done better, but the moment-to-moment movement and gunplay is arse.

Playing cooperatively with friends is funthough , the gear grind is only as bad as Destiny (albeit less interesting), character loadouts can be more varied which is nice though.

PvPvE in the Dark Zone is... Interesting. Still not sure how it's going to turn out, but PvPvE is generally bad for everyone except PvP players. Anyone in the middle or the PvE end of the spectrum is likely to have a bad time.

So yeah. It's okay. I think your enjoyment is likely to be influenced heavily by how many friends you have playing it, and how much you like the Dark Zone.

Trying to Finish FarCry Primal, then jumping into Division

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 17:24 (2976 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have been looking forward to the Division, but I am currently playing through FarCry Primal (15 hrs, 36% completion). By the time I jump into the Division, i'll be like a kinderguardian.

FarCry Primal btw is pretty damn fun. I have never played a FarCry title, and the primitive weapon aspect really appealed to me. I know that they got a lot of hate for the small weapon pool, but i'm really enjoying it. The environments are gorgeous, and i could just spend hrs running around hunting down animals.

The only thing that i don't like is that they chose to create their own "primitive" language, and I am forced to read subtitles. I can read faster than they can talk, so i spend most of the cutscenes just sitting there waiting for the next subtitle to pop up. It was kinda cool at first, but is now annoying. Seems like it was a cop out to save $$ on voice acting. Every region has the same language, so they only had to change the subtitles.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 19:02 (2976 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

FarCry Primal btw is pretty damn fun. I have never played a FarCry title, and the primitive weapon aspect really appealed to me. I know that they got a lot of hate for the small weapon pool, but i'm really enjoying it. The environments are gorgeous, and i could just spend hrs running around hunting down animals.

Never having played a Far Cry game is why you like Primal, I think. It gets hate because it's a literal reskin of Far Cry 4 released as a $60 game. If it had been released as a cheaper (and shorter!) standalone experience like Blood Dragon was with Far Cry 3, it'd probably be pretty good.

As it stands, it's a moderately interested concept stretched way too far in order to try and justify a full game price tag.

That, and Far Cry is basically the new Assassin's Creed, in that it's a formula that's been rehashed so many times with so little advancement that I think people are starting to get sick of it. I certainly am.

So anyway, there's that. I'm not trying to jump all over you are anything--I think it's great that you enjoy it. I just couldn't. ):

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 10, 2016, 19:15 (2976 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I bought FarCry 4 out of how much I simply LOVED FarCry 3, which was my first. Turned out it was almost exactly the same game...

This

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 19:34 (2976 days ago) @ ZackDark

I bought FarCry 4 out of how much I simply LOVED FarCry 3, which was my first. Turned out it was almost exactly the same game...

Only less fun.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. Most seem to have loved FarCry 4. I abandoned it after about four hours, despite loving FarCry 3 and Blood Dragon. I didn't even mind that it was basically the same game. It just wasn't as fun for some reason. I suspect it was mainly because of the setting. The mountains of Nepal were extremely annoying to move around in, whereas the islands of FarCry3 were a blast.

+1

by TheeChaos @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 11:49 (2976 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have played every Far cry since the original. 1 was unique and amazing for its time, sandbox map editor! Far cry 2 took a different direction with story, and was significantly worse. Far cry 3 was amazing, but I had got burnt out before the expansions came. Far Cry 4 was the same game as 3, just different place and characters and a few new mechanics. I was excited for Far cry Primal, but after watching several streams I was already bored.

I think the comparison of Far Cry to assassins creed is pretty accurate.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, March 11, 2016, 12:29 (2976 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Never having played a Far Cry game is why you like Primal, I think.

probably so. I really like outdoorsy games with primitive tech and lots of wildlife and vegetation. Gun, Red Dead Redemption, and now Primal have all been really enjoyable to me. I'm an ecologist that has worked on fire ecology, so to be able to light the grass on fire, and watch it climb up into a tree canopy is really cool to me. I don't know much about the native vegetation of central Europe, but the environments are gorgeous.

I do wish the nighttime skybox was better. you can barely see the stars at night, like being in a small city. The stars should be much brighter for that time period.

Anyways, I bought the disc from Amazon prime for 20% off, so it was a $48 game.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:30 (2976 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I'm an ecologist that has worked on fire ecology, so to be able to light the grass on fire, and watch it climb up into a tree canopy is really cool to me.

Ah, so that's what ecologists do! :p

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:56 (2975 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm an ecologist that has worked on fire ecology, so to be able to light the grass on fire, and watch it climb up into a tree canopy is really cool to me.

Ah, so that's what ecologists do! :p

They light things on fire and see how they burn? I thought that was called a pyromaniac?

Is there a screenshot of the skybox?

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 17:25 (2975 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Far Cry Primal language failure and PIE. *long, mb boring*

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 19:22 (2975 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by Funkmon, Friday, March 11, 2016, 20:12

I read about Far Cry Primal using reconstructed Proto-Indo-European as a basis for its language a few months ago and thought that seemed all right...and then I thought about it.

Proto-Indo-European is a reconstructed language from modern languages. Using a simple system, we can see that the languages of Europe, much of the middle east, and India are related. We do not have this language, but it can be easily constructed. They do this by creating a list of words that have very similar meanings in languages. For example, numbers. Next, they find relations and rules among them. Sticking with numbers, we see decem, deka, dasan (Latin, Greek, Sanskrit), and ten, tiu, tien (English, Icelandic, and Dutch). We can see that it's possible that Germanic languages had their voiceless stops (like the t sound) changed from Proto-Indo-European voiced stops (like the d sound). Doing this a bunch of times, we establish patterns, called linguistic laws.

Following these rules in a similar way to finding a least common denominator in mathematics, we find a least common language. Through this, we can find what are called Proto-Indo-European (I’m just going to call them PIE) roots. These are the core historical elements of languages like English, Latin, German, Sanskrit, Russian, Welsh, Gaelic, Bengali, Hindu, Armenian, Kurdish, Persian, and a bunch of other junk. These are called Indo-European languages. Note: not all European languages come from this family, like Finnish and Uralic, but the vast vast majority do.

You can find PIE roots in your trusty copy of The American Heritage Dictionary. This is the superior one volume dictionary, in my opinion, and valuable to linguists not only in America, but anywhere in the anglosphere, as it contains the roots, and therefore performs the ultimate etymology. Other dictionaries, even ones like the 20 something volume OED, go to the ultimate attested language root, but rarely beyond. For your dictionary dollar, I’d suggest buying AH. If you want more, buy a copy of the Compact OED, a magnifying glass, and then also AH. AH is $40, OED is closer to $400.

http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Complete-Reproduced-Micrographically-slipcase/dp/0198612583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

http://www.amazon.com/American-Heritage-Dictionary-English-Language/dp/0547041012/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=14577290...

But that’s neither here nor there. If someone wants to know more about dictionaries, though, I’m your guy.

Back to Far Cry Primal. Considering this is set in central Europe, doesn’t it make sense to use PIE? No.

It was set in 10,000 BC.

Some extremely fringe scholars think that PIE evolved out of Old Europe cultures. Old Europe refers to a time of apparently similar culture all throughout Europe pre-bronze age, but still during the neolithic period, which is after the 10,000 BC time. 10,000 BC is comfortably during what they call the mesolithic, that is, before agriculture.

The Proto-Europeans definitely had agriculture. They had cows, horses, dogs, wheels, and stuff. They had a shared religion. They came from a snowy place. We can see this all linguistically, as they wouldn’t have words for crap they didn’t have, like wheels. For example, in religion, they worshipped a guy called *dyeus-phater, literally sky father. In Sanskrit Dyaus Pita. In Greek Zeus Pater (Zeus). In Latin Iou pater (Iuppiter/Jupiter). The Germans may have even worshipped this guy. In Germanicus, Tacitus explains they have a chief god, father of all people, Tuisto, whose name sounds very familiar, particularly if you remember the example linguistic rule I mentioned earlier.

The most widely accepted idea (and it’s extremely widely accepted, to the point of consensus almost) is that the Indo-Europeans came from an area in the Eurasian steppes at about 4000 BC, and continued until about 1000 BC. Not only does this make sense linguistically, but it fits with archeology of the period. We can see the spread of the chariot go at the same time. We see introduction of some technology at the same time PIE arrives. Recently, we have even seen it genetically. This is almost certainly what happened. Other ideas are easily trashed.

So, they’re about 6000 years too early for the language. I have also been told that there are three dialects, one basic, spoken by an older race of people dying out (for which there is no archaeological evidence, btw), one simple, and one complex. The advanced one being used by a more advanced culture. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work, linguistically. Complex languages are no more likely to be in high technology or high society than basic ones. Look at English versus Hungarian, Navajo, etc.

Some other problems exist, like some of the animals being wrong for the time and place, and some tech being a little wonky, but I’ll allow it for the purpose of role playing a cave man.

BUT when they force people to read subtitles for languages that don’t exist, and couldn’t have existed in the time and place, I find that annoying. Just have them speak the local language, for pete’s sake. They had to pay some linguists to construct PIE, put on declensions, ablaut, et cetera, three times for the three languages. It’s like if we wanted to play Doom so we bought a Windows XP machine from 2003. It makes no sense.

Funkmon's FCP language verdict: *kakka.

5/7, perfect score, would read again

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 11, 2016, 21:15 (2975 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Far Cry Primal language failure and PIE. *long, mb boring*

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Saturday, March 12, 2016, 18:37 (2974 days ago) @ Funkmon

Good post. Though it was hilarious to listen to the southern redneck caveman talk. So I guess that makes it 4 dialects.

Redneck caveman sounds hilarious.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, March 12, 2016, 19:23 (2974 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

I'm having a blast

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 20:09 (2976 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Hope she feels better!

I strongly disagree with your assessment of the Division's story. The voice acting is actually very strong (even the detective from Arrow delivers some fun lines, and he normally just chews the scenery), and as you move deeper into the plot, it becomes engrossing. Yes, the initial set-up is thin, at best. No, you don't really care about the people you're thrown in with at the start. But then it gets better and better and better. Start collecting the cell phones and data drives. Watch the videos you unlock as you play. I found one that foreshadows some of the endgame enemies (I assume) and holy shit are they some scary mo-fos. Also found some CCTV footage of the "rioters chasing down a couple of civilians" that makes me want to kill them all on sight. The game as excellent atmosphere and does a very strong job of pulling you in, bit by bit. I've come to like these characters around me as I see them more and more. They have personality and depth. I don't know where the story is going right now, so I can't say that the plot has arc or not, but I can say that I'm getting more and more into it the more I play. I'm looking for the collectibles not because I want to get all the things but because I really want to find out what happened to these people!

And then there's the main character: you. This character needs to be voiced, and it's a crying shame that they didn't case some voice actors here. The silence is deafening from the main guy. It's a major oversight and is jarring every time someone talks to you. Huge missed opportunity there.

Anyway, don't skip the cutscenes, even if they seem stupid. If you never watch them, you aren't even giving the characters a chance to grow on you and you're limiting your own enjoyment of the game.

So far, I'd say the combat in the Division is passable at best. Sloppy shooting mechanics, boring weapons, bullet-sponge enemies. I played a couple missions solo and was this close to putting the game down for good. Luckily, the game features easy-to-use matchmaking that you can use to put a squad together at any time. Playing with a group makes all the difference in the world, IMO. While the shooting isn't great, the environments are designed in a way that really supports squad coordination, flanking, and setting up cross-lanes of fire. Shooting the guns still doesn't feel good, but there is fun to be had in figuring out how to position everyone in your squad to effectively deal with the floods of bullet-sponge enemies.

Again, the Division features great matchmaking that you can use to join a group at any time, for any activity. From the mission select map, I hit the "matchmake" button and was paired up with another player looking to do the same mission I had selected. As we were running through the streets together towards the mission waypoint, a 3rd player was warped into our group, then a 4th. We played the mission together as a 4-man team, and after it was over the squad leader set a new waypoint on our map (for the next available story mission) and we just kept rolling together. We'd stop and do little side events as we came across them, then continue on to the next story mission. Missions start and end seamlessly; the squad is never broken up or warped to different parts of the map. Missions end in such a way that you just leave the area and are back into the main patrol spaces.

I like playing solo, but you're absolutely right that playing with a team is way more fun. Very different experiences. In a squad, you can play more aggressively, charge the enemy, flank them, explore areas more quickly, and really gang up on the bad guys. Solo, you have to play it slow, snipe from range, and use lots and lots of cover to stay alive and in the clear. Solo play feels sort of "resident evil" -esque to me whereas squad play is left 4 dead. Except the enemies are shooting you the whole time. Oh, and the AI for enemies is GREAT. The "rioters" are terrible at tactics and just kind of stand there and shoot at you, sometimes out in the open, sometimes behind cover. The cleaners move in a group and then spread out to form a line while melee guys charge you, but damn, the military guys (I've only seen them once and they were much higher level than me so I tried to run) flanked cover to cover, laid down suppressing fire, and used angles to get better shots. They also double-tapped me once I was downed to prevent a revive, which none of the other guys had done. All three factions (okay, I'm assuming this about the military guys) improve their AI when a commander unit is on the map (they have a star next to their name and are usually yellow health bar guys). You can actually hear the commanders yelling orders like "throw a grenade" or "lay down suppressing fire!" It's awesome. Take that guy out and the enemy AI becomes disorganized again. SO. GOOD.

One nitpick: I hate that I have to fully reload the game map when I initially join my buddy's team. It's the exact same map. We're standing in basically the same place on that map. I get that I am changing servers, but come on... the whole world has to be reloaded? It's only weird because there are virtually no other loads in the entire rest of the game. Once you're in, that's it... seamless gameplay until you quit. Or join a group.

* This game is an impressive example of big-team production

While I generally find Ubisoft games a bit hit and miss, the one thing they consistently do very well is present an impressive package. Even if I don't end up enjoying the game, I love booting up a new Ubisoft title just to see hundreds of thousands of man-hours and millions of dollars up on screen all at the same time. The Division is no exception. The amount of detail in the world, weather effects, animations, sound design... it's all a bit staggering. It doesn't capture my imagination the way something like Destiny does, but there is still lots of artistry to the way New York has been realized and put together. It makes me wish that the story was better... the setting does a good job of making me feel a bit melancholy. I really do feel like I'm walking around a torn-apart New York. If the rest of the narrative weren't so ham-fisted, it would be a very powerful experience.

Yeah, it's a spectacle to be sure. And it's full of details I didn't expect. Not only are lots of the buildings accurate to actual NYC, but when it snows things frost over, the lighting is gorgeous, there are lots and lots of fun chatter lines from NPCs, and the game world is constantly generating random encounters as you roam the streets.

A final note about the guns: They feel great to me. I absolutely love the marksman guns (SCAR-H feels like a true DMR, whereas the M1 feels like a semi-auto sniper and the - I forget the name, 5 round bolt-action gun - feels like a proper sniper rifle), and the differences between ARs, LMGs, and SMGs are becoming more pronounced the higher level I get (currently level 10). initially every gun was basically the same gun, but now the guns I get have more extreme feels. I'm really excited to see how different everything feels in the endgame, but I'm also super enjoying the development process of getting there. Because you can custom mod every gun (and remove and save those mods for later), the game has none of the loot hoardiness that Destiny has. I don't need to save X gun in case of a future buff or because I'm not sure if I like the perks on it better or not. I just swap to it, swap my mods, and see if I like it. Same with active skills. It's so easy to swap and check that it's not a big deal at all. I really feel empowered to experiment, which is a pretty opposite feeling to how Destiny seems to me, where I feel like I'm punished if I'm not running the optimal thing all the time (this may change in Division endgame, so stay tuned).

Also, the enemies stop feeling bullet spongey if you play at or below your level and play solo. Almost every enemy I face who is at my level (actually the level of my gun), he dies to a single sniper shot to the head (2 shots if it's an armored purple health bar guy or maybe 3 for an armored yellow bar guy).

While I generally think the UI is glorious, there are a few oddities that I don't understand: Weapons show DPS as a primary value in list view, but in side by side comparison that value isn't shown. Also, the DPS value increases dramatically when you add improved accuracy mods to your guns, but not stability mods, which seems odd. I imagine it's not a true number but just an estimate, which further makes it odd that this is the primary metric in list view. I guess they needed to use something. It's also weird that only one person can use a resupply box at a time and creates an unnecessary bottleneck in missions where there's no reason for one. I heard they fixed that for the starting laptop people were complaining about, so maybe they fixed it for resupply crates too? I'll have to check.

Speaking of which: Players complained about a thing and Massive fixed it within 48 hours of the game's launch. I'm VERY excited to see that level of response time. They're not just listening, they're actually implementing changes to solve problems. Unlike a certain space-magic based FPS where Thorn still dominates the competitive meta... but I digress. It's honestly WAY too early to make these comparisons. Gotta wait until I see how the endgame shapes up and see what long term stuff Massive does in terms of balance and patching. Destiny had a bunch of patches in the first weeks, too, iirc. It's just so hard not to compare the experiences.

Lastly, from a purely game design standpoint, I LOVE how Massive has set up the character skill progression within the game. You really have nearly total agency when it comes to the order you unlock skills in and how you spec your guy out. It's really smartly done and is giving everyone a very different experience of leveling up. Good stuff!

About the story/voice acting [Division videos/spoilers]

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 11, 2016, 15:15 (2976 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Hope she feels better!

I strongly disagree with your assessment of the Division's story. The voice acting is actually very strong (even the detective from Arrow delivers some fun lines, and he normally just chews the scenery), and as you move deeper into the plot, it becomes engrossing.

I need to jump in here with a few examples.

The dialogue is melodramatic and ham-fisted right off the bat, like the conversation at the end of this helicopter ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt0PxkYr-bQ&t=645

The dialogue here made me roll my eyes so hard I almost fell over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt0PxkYr-bQ&t=967

And this guy right here... this is the moment I tuned out completely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt0PxkYr-bQ&t=1880

These clips are all from the first 2 hours or so. I totally get where you're coming from in terms of the game building a story slowly through many different avenues (collectables, NPCs, cutscenes, etc), but with dialogue this bad I just can't buy in to any of it. Just a personal preference thing, but I need to be invested in the characters before I can give a damn about the world or greater scenarios going on. I have similar issues with Destiny. While I find a lot of the game's universe and backstory fascinating, I have a hard time caring about any of it while I'm in the middle of playing, because I have absolutely no attachment to any of the characters involved.

As it stands, my interest in the Division's story is nonexistent. I treat it like a co-op arcade shooter. I run through the missions with a few people, shoot bad guys, grab loot, skip the cutscenes, upgrade my stuff and move on to the next mission. And I'm having lots of fun with it in that way. But if I go in hoping for anything story-related to care about, I hit dialogue like the clips above and my head explodes :)

*edit: Youtube timecode links don't seem to work here... replaced the video embeds with direct links :)

About the story/voice acting [Division videos/spoilers]

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 11, 2016, 16:10 (2976 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's funny. Other than the first helicopter ride, I really enjoyed those other two bits. I've come to see that Lau is just kind of Lau. She takes all of this shit way, WAY too seriously, but she means well. Heck, it's supposed to be the fall of civilization, so maybe she takes it appropriately seriously, but to me she's one of those "true believer" types. But that's fine, and her character, motivations, and reactions are extremely consistent, both in writing style and perspective.

This is a place where having a silent protagonist is a bad move. If the PC talked, then he (or she) could be the likeable protagonist of the story, and would be a good foil to Agent Lau's over-serious attitude. As it stands, however, there isn't any character who is initially likeable to drive the story from the get-go, and that person *should* be Lau. So there's a writing structure issue here in that the person who is your tether to the game world isn't all that likable, despite the fact that she, at least, likes you. It's an unusual dynamic, to be sure, and probably a mistake.

That being said, I really like the guy who runs the security wing. "I thank you, my guys thank you, and the people of New York fuckin' thank you." I laughed out loud. So awesome and so appropriate.

And the tech guy who tuned you out for good... I like him, too! That's the actor who plays the detective on Arrow of whom I spoke in my initial reply. Again, he's a very consistent character and instead of being a true believer like Lau, he's much more of a fatalist/pragmatist. The guy doesn't care because his family is dead, and he feels like he's pissing into the wind, but he's got a skill and god damn if he isn't going to demonstrate that he's good at it before he goes. He strikes me as one of the most real and honest feeling characters in the game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread