Musical prequel to "Golem" by Marty O'Donnell - Kickstarter (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 16:08 (2977 days ago)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/135470902/echoes-of-the-first-dreamer

Echoes of the First Dreamer is not the soundtrack to Golem. It is a musical prequel; composed, arranged and recorded as an independent work. It will be released before the game and introduce you to the world and themes of Golem.

In order to fund Echoes we need your help. A stand-alone album of this type is more complicated and expensive than a traditional game soundtrack, and pulling it off will require more time, more musicians and engineering support, and more sophisticated mastering and editing.

As big a fan as I am of Marty and his music, I'm a bit conflicted about this. The thing I enjoy most about listening to soundtracks is how they can kick nostalgia into overdrive, and I'm immediately transported back to the moment in the game/movie that the track plays alongside.

Will I get the same amount of enjoyment out of a track that isn't linked to any particular moments?

Musical prequel to "Golem" by Marty O'Donnell - Kickstarter

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 16:19 (2977 days ago) @ CyberKN

Echoes of the First Dreamer is not the soundtrack to Golem. It is a musical prequel; composed, arranged and recorded as an independent work. It will be released before the game and introduce you to the world and themes of Golem.

In order to fund Echoes we need your help. A stand-alone album of this type is more complicated and expensive than a traditional game soundtrack, and pulling it off will require more time, more musicians and engineering support, and more sophisticated mastering and editing.

As big a fan as I am of Marty and his music, I'm a bit conflicted about this. The thing I enjoy most about listening to soundtracks is how they can kick nostalgia into overdrive, and I'm immediately transported back to the moment in the game/movie that the track plays alongside.

Will I get the same amount of enjoyment out of a track that isn't linked to any particular moments?

I agree with you. Heck, The Siege of Madrigal still makes my chest tight every time I listen to it and when the vocals come in, oh the chills... Goes and listens to The Siege of Madrigal

Musical prequel to "Golem" by Marty O'Donnell - Kickstarter

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 16:42 (2977 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I agree with you. Heck, The Siege of Madrigal still makes my chest tight every time I listen to it and when the vocals come in, oh the chills... Goes and listens to The Siege of Madrigal

I'm not conflicted. I enjoyed what I heard of Music of the Spheres long before Destiny came out.

I wish I was rich. A Marty record on vinyl. Omg.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 20:18 (2976 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 20:23 (2976 days ago) @ Funkmon

1. It's 40 bucks? Start a go fund me if you don't have 40 bucks.
2. It's vinyl. It won't sound as good as a CD and will take up more space :-p

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 21:38 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You still get the digital version.

Only if you pay even more

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 22:18 (2976 days ago) @ Kermit

$40 gets you just the record. To the record and digital, it's $20 more, which apparently funkmon doesn't have.

Also, I'm sad no one fell for Cody's audiophile-level trolling.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 23:15 (2976 days ago) @ marmot 1333

$40 gets you just the record. To the record and digital, it's $20 more, which apparently funkmon doesn't have.

Lol. Not trolling but 100% fact and science :-p

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 23:31 (2976 days ago) @ marmot 1333

That is surely an oversight. Of course they'd send the MP3, right? I mean worst case scenario I just plug my turntable into my sound card. Then I can rip it in mathematically superior (but practically useless) 24 bit 96KHz FLAC.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, March 11, 2016, 07:07 (2976 days ago) @ marmot 1333

It says on the $20 tier, "...(ALL backers also receive the digital download version)" - so I take that to mean every pledge level gets the digital copy of the album in addition to whatever combination of cd/vinyl/t-shirt they get at the higher tiers.

This is correct.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 08:27 (2976 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I think it's an oversight that they didn't include that verbiage in all the descriptions.

This is correct.

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:12 (2976 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

In that case, this image is very misleading.

This is correct.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 11, 2016, 14:25 (2976 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Yes, it is, but they contradict it explicitly in the description of the $20 package. They should correct the table.

There's also the FAQ:

Will the physical backer rewards (CD, Vinyl, Shirt, etc.) include the digital download version?

Yes! ALL backers will receive the digital version of the album.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 22:13 (2976 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But then you don't have large, awesome artwork to gaze at while you're listening or to hang up on the wall! :)

Exactly!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 23:26 (2976 days ago) @ Leviathan

The liner notes and the art is half the fun!

Also, vinyl has a slightly different sound, and forces you to listen and pay attention to it because it's not as automatic.

Also also, Cody, who the shit starts a gofundme to buy a record? Nobody would donate to that.

Never forget Music of The Spheres

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, March 11, 2016, 04:31 (2976 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread