Hey, Kermit, about your controller… (Gaming)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, March 17, 2016, 21:58 (2974 days ago)

Now that you’ve had it for a while, I wanted to know what you think of the XB1-PS4 controller adapter you purchased a while back. Is it the CronusMAX Plus? Any reason not to get one?

I'll write something up this weekend.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 18, 2016, 18:23 (2973 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Hey, Kermit, about your controller…

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 21, 2016, 13:20 (2970 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Kermit, Monday, March 21, 2016, 14:15

Now that you’ve had it for a while, I wanted to know what you think of the XB1-PS4 controller adapter you purchased a while back. Is it the CronusMAX Plus? Any reason not to get one?

Beorn,

I am using the Chronusmax Plus adaptor in order to use the Elite Controller with my PS4. Here are some impressions in random order:

It works! I can’t tell that there’s any lag, and the Elite controller feels fantastic. It’s the difference between holding a water pistol and a Lugar. I’ve had to change the way I held controllers when I started using the paddles. More than I realized, I rested the controller on my lap. Couldn’t do that with the paddles, so I had to adjust. I don’t know if it was the heavier weight, using the paddles, or what, but I did have some soreness in my arms after the first few long sessions.

About those paddles, one of the big draws was mapping the jump button and such to the paddles in order to keep my thumbs on the thumbsticks. I made it through a raid with my hunter using a paddle for jumping. Didn’t work out so well for my warlock, though, as has been documented. I switched back to buttons, and it was like my warlock remembered how to move again. So, one of the big benefits of the controller was negated, but it’s still worth it, IMHO.

You must love wires. In order for the controller to work with PS4, you must use a usb hub and have your PS4 controller plugged in so the system recognizes it and then the adaptor somehow makes the PS4 think the Xbox controller (that is also plugged into the USB hub) is the dual shock. You’ll get an odd prompt from the system asking you to use the controller that’s plugged in, and once you tap the A button, you’re in.

Batteries. They’ll tell you that you have to remove the batteries before you use this setup. I was disheartened when I read this, but it turns out it’s not true. It’s best to turn off your Xbox controller first, but I found it’s recognized even if it’s on to start with. Once the controller is recognized by your PS4, your Xbox (if it’s also on) will say that your controller is disconnected.

You must have access to a PC. The chromusmax software is PC only. Inconvenient for me, but I won’t be monkeying with the set up constantly, so it’s okay. You don’t have to completely understand their scripting, but I had to dig into it a little to figure out what I needed to mimic the Dual Shock. (I basically found a script that worked.) One good thing: the customizations you make to your Elite controller using the Xbox app carry over somehow. I guess they’re stored in the controller itself.

Using the touchpad. I’ve got the touchpad mapped to the Back button. I haven’t tried to use the touchpad itself to navigate because I don’t have a game that uses that, but apparently you can guide the cursor with the thumbstick. I’ve seen videos of it being used, and it seems smooth.

Mapping the Share button. I’ve got the Share button mapped to Back button+Right thumbstick click. Not nearly as easy as the Share button itself, but it works.

You’re not supposed to leave the Chronusmax adapter plugged in. This is kind of pain for me as I need to leave my PS4 in rest mode (so it always powers my mixamp [TMI, I know]), but I bought an extender cord so I can plug things up sitting in my chair.

About the 360... If you’ve got a wired Xbox 360 controller, you can use the same kind of set up to use the Elite with your 360. One major drawback, though, is that there is no chat.

The future.
A recent development is that I’ve realized that if I get into PSVR, I’ll probably have to use my dual shock. That’s okay, especially since it doesn’t look like I’m going to be a big paddle user. I still like the dual shock, but the Elite controller is magnificent!

Kermit

Thanks!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, March 21, 2016, 15:02 (2970 days ago) @ Kermit

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I’m going to give it a try; my CronusMAX+ should be here tomorrow. The Elite arrived yesterday. :)

About those paddles, one of the big draws was mapping the jump button and such to the paddles in order to keep my thumbs on the thumbsticks. I made it through a raid with my hunter using a paddle for jumping. Didn’t work out so well for my warlock, though, as has been documented. I switched back to buttons, and it was like my warlock remembered how to move again. So, one of the big benefits of the controller was negated, but it’s still worth it, IMHO.

I hear you there. Playing around with various mappings last night made me realize that I lack a certain dexterity in my ring fingers. Mapping Jump to either of the upper paddles seemed to work well for me, but my Warlock was not having it when I tried the lower paddles.

You must love wires. In order for the controller to work with PS4, you must use a usb hub and have your PS4 controller plugged in so the system recognizes it and then the adaptor somehow makes the PS4 think the Xbox controller (that is also plugged into the USB hub) is the dual shock. You’ll get an odd prompt from the system asking you to use the controller that’s plugged in, and once you tap the A button, you’re in.

C’est la vie.

One good thing: the customizations you make to your Elite controller using the Xbox app carry over somehow. I guess they’re stored in the controller itself.

Suhweet!

You’re not supposed to leave the Chronusmax adapter plugged in. This is kind of pain for me as I need to leave my PS4 in rest mode (so it always powers my mixamp [TMI, I know]), but I bought an extender cord so I can plug things up sitting in my chair.

Good to know, I do the exact same thing with my MixAmp.

About the 360... If you’ve got a wired Xbox 360 controller, you can use the same kind of set up to use the Elite with your 360. One major drawback, though, is that there is no chat.

I’m not even sure when I fired up my 360 last. I’m thinking about selling it.

Thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 21, 2016, 16:20 (2970 days ago) @ Beorn

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I’m going to give it a try; my CronusMAX+ should be here tomorrow. The Elite arrived yesterday. :)

I hear you there. Playing around with various mappings last night made me realize that I lack a certain dexterity in my ring fingers. Mapping Jump to either of the upper paddles seemed to work well for me, but my Warlock was not having it when I tried the lower paddles.

I did have them mapped to the upper paddles. I too lack the dexterity to use my ring fingers for that, but my middle finger dexterity is fine [insert joke here]. It still could have been dexterity, but I had trouble double-tapping that I did not have tapping A with my thumb.

Let me know how it goes!

How's the performance of DS4-> Xbone?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 21, 2016, 15:53 (2970 days ago) @ Kermit

Mapping the Share button. I’ve got the Share button mapped to Back button+Right thumbstick click. Not nearly as easy as the Share button itself, but it works.

Mapping button combos sounds fantastic. If it works with the Touchpad, it's a done deal.

Also, since the Elite controller doesn't inherently support combos, can you run it through this adapter to the Xbone to facilitate that, or is one SOL (Say, make one paddle = Right on D + Y)?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 21, 2016, 16:27 (2970 days ago) @ Korny

Mapping button combos sounds fantastic. If it works with the Touchpad, it's a done deal.

Also, since the Elite controller doesn't inherently support combos, can you run it through this adapter to the Xbone to facilitate that, or is one SOL (Say, make one paddle = Right on D + Y)?

One segment of the market for this adapter is hardcore players who want to mod their controllers for this kind of thing. You may have to learn their scripting language and create your own script if you can't find a user script that already does exactly what you want. I didn't pursue it, but I might if I had a PC at home to run the software and could easily experiment.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, March 21, 2016, 16:29 (2970 days ago) @ Korny

The CronusMAX+ lets you set up combos and scripts. I think it goes pretty deep, but I’m just looking to use a real controller on the PS4. ;-)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 21, 2016, 17:07 (2970 days ago) @ Beorn

The CronusMAX+ lets you set up combos and scripts. I think it goes pretty deep, but I’m just looking to use a real controller on the PS4. ;-)

Tells you something when you need a $150+ controller to do things better than a $48 one ;)

I'll definitely look into buying the ChronusMAX+ though, if only to make Warframe actually playable on Xbone.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 21, 2016, 17:24 (2970 days ago) @ Korny

Tells you something when you need a $150+ controller to do things better than a $48 one ;)

I'll definitely look into buying the ChronusMAX+ though, if only to make Warframe actually playable on Xbone.

You don't need an elite controller to do any of the scripting stuff. The regular Xbone controllers can now be programmed just like the elites (sans paddles), through the Xbox app AND using the chronosmax.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, March 21, 2016, 21:11 (2970 days ago) @ Korny

We both know I’m talking about a 360 controller. ;-)

Seriously, though, the DualShock4 is ridiculously uncomfortable for me. I’ve been wanting a 360 or XB1 controller on my PS4 since I bought the machine.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread