Xbox Spring sale underwhelming so far. (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 21, 2016, 11:35 (2970 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Monday, March 21, 2016, 11:39

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/spring-sale/video-game-sales

I was hoping for Rise of The Tomb Raider to go for $25 or less. That's what it's going for on eBay right now as a code.

Looks like it's pretty much just a bunch of games going for exactly as much as they were selling for before. Halo 5 for $40 (my dad got it for my nephew the other week for $35), Tomb Raider for $40, Rare Replay for $20 (got this for $20 around Christmas), and so on. GOW Ultimate is only $10, so that's kind of a deal.

Tomorrow they'll unleash the digital deals, which I hope to be better.

The console itself is being sold for a completely unremarkable $299. I got my Xbone two Thanksgivings ago for $349 + MCC + $80 gift card.

No good deals yet, it looks like.

Borderlands Sale

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, March 21, 2016, 11:40 (2970 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was just on Steam last night and they had the entire Borderlands series for like $20. I don't know how long it's going to last though.

Borderlands 1 free for 360, xbone backwards compatible

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, March 21, 2016, 12:04 (2970 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

If you don't have a 360 hooked up anymore, go to Xbox.com search for borderlands click buy, then go to your xbone queue, and it will be under 'ready to install' on the far right.

Note: It plays much better on 360.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, March 21, 2016, 12:11 (2970 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by ProbablyLast, Monday, March 21, 2016, 12:49

You get massive drops in frame rate on Xbone when dealing with rakk, or other combat heavy situations. At least in co-op anyway.

Massive framerate drops means below 10 FPS.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 21, 2016, 14:42 (2970 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Some people have called Reach on the Bone unplayable because sometimes it goes down to 15 FPS. I played Quake 4 at 15 FPS and was fine. Borderlands 1 can become slideshow esque.

Massive framerate drops means below 10 FPS.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 21, 2016, 17:32 (2970 days ago) @ Funkmon

Some people have called Reach on the Bone unplayable because sometimes it goes down to 15 FPS. I played Quake 4 at 15 FPS and was fine. Borderlands 1 can become slideshow

I am far from a frame rate elitist (I played Just Cause 3 at launch and didn't mind), but I can't stand playing Reach on the Xbox One. It's awful. ):

Frame rate elitist reminds me.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 21, 2016, 17:41 (2970 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I used to have a Windows Mobile Pocket PC back in 04. I would reencode Red vs. Blue to like 176x144 at 10 fps to fit it all on my PDA and show people at school. Nobody thought it was dumb then. I uploaded a video on Facebook a couple years ago at 1080p at 20 FPS and people had a fit. I for serial don't understand people who can't take a video quality dip.

a desire for betterment got us out of the caves

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, March 21, 2016, 18:05 (2970 days ago) @ Funkmon

I used to have a Windows Mobile Pocket PC back in 04. I would reencode Red vs. Blue to like 176x144 at 10 fps to fit it all on my PDA and show people at school. Nobody thought it was dumb then. I uploaded a video on Facebook a couple years ago at 1080p at 20 FPS and people had a fit. I for serial don't understand people who can't take a video quality dip.

From my days running a TV station I am hyper aware of any visual hiccups or quality problems. For a very long time I could not watch Hulu without going insane.

That said, frame rate is something I think everyone can notice. And nobody sane prefers 10fps. The fact that expectations were lower 12 years ago, or that people were not ungracious to you is not an indication that some people are good with it.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 21, 2016, 18:14 (2970 days ago) @ Vortech

That isn't the surprising part to me. The surprising part to me is how unable people are to go back or accept stuff less than perfect.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 21, 2016, 18:50 (2970 days ago) @ Vortech

From my days running a TV station I am hyper aware of any visual hiccups or quality problems. For a very long time I could not watch Hulu without going insane.

That said, frame rate is something I think everyone can notice. And nobody sane prefers 10fps. The fact that expectations were lower 12 years ago, or that people were not ungracious to you is not an indication that some people are good with it.

Up until my computer died last year, Sammy and I were playing Skyrim at an average of 20fps at the lowest quality (often dropping to 10fps during action-filled combat, so we played stealth classes, lol).

Yup

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, March 21, 2016, 23:59 (2969 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

You get massive drops in frame rate on Xbone when dealing with rakk, or other combat heavy situations. At least in co-op anyway.

I went back to that area solo. Still lags on the Xbox One.

Better deal on the console (refurb)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 22, 2016, 03:12 (2969 days ago) @ Funkmon

NeweggFlash is selling a refurbished XBone with Kinect and Forza 5 for $279.99. I mean, it's a refurb, but it's still a better deal IMO. The $299 version MS is selling is Kinect-less, they want $349 for a Kinect version.

Digital sales even worse, except Telltale collection.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, March 22, 2016, 09:16 (2969 days ago) @ Funkmon

Telltale collection is a fine deal if you like those games. Of course if you do, you probably own a good number of them already since Telltale is one of the only devs in the genre.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread