Will Destiny 2 change Destiny's mission structure? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 31, 2016, 23:20 (2964 days ago)

Cruel's megathread down there sort of got the cylinders firing, and this is something I've been thinking about for a while (since The Division launched, anyway).

Forgot about Light level, character progression, and RNG loot drops for the moment. There's another thing that I would love to see change in Destiny: loading into missions and the way Destiny handles everything about that process.

Being kicked to orbit after every mission is the single most annoying thing about Destiny to me, and that does more to disengage me from the world than perhaps anything else about the game. I obviously know nothing about actually building games or the way Destiny utilizes servers and peer to peer connections or any of that. But I can't believe that there isn't a better way.

I feel like I should be able to start a patrol on a given planet, and at any point during that patrol, make my way to the start point for any activity that takes place on that planet and do that activity. If I'm in patrol in the Cosmodrome, why do I have to return to orbit, select a mission, load back into the Cosmodrome, then begin the mission? And furthermore, if I complete a mission, why do I immediately have to return to orbit (and then, if it's my first playthrough, typically return to the Tower)? It adds an absurd amount of time spent in loading screens during play.

I would love to see a version of Destiny in which each planet patrol space acts as a hub to launch the activities on that planet. I'd like to see other characters (not other players) out in those locations that you can talk to, do quests for, something. Is that incompatible with Destiny's always online, randomly meeting other players mechanics? Is it not possible to make a game like Borderlands that also has Destiny's online structure, or did Bungie just not want to make that? I hate to keep harping on the Borderlands example, but even as ridiculous as the premise is, Borderlands feels like a much more real, alive setting than Destiny ever has, and I think largely that's due to all of Destiny's actual characters being locked in one tiny location (and not actually being much in the way of characters).

Maybe I'm alone in that, and maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but more than just about anything, I hope Destiny 2 makes big strides in that direction (or at least a better direction than Destiny currently has).

Will Destiny 2 change Destiny's mission structure?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, April 01, 2016, 02:10 (2964 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The down time as you progress through the missions is a large complaint that my 'destiny noob' bro-in-law has. Do a mission, return to orbit, go to the tower to talk to someone, return to orbit, and FINALLY start the next mission. He was nearly put destiny down because of it.

by Kuga, Sunday, April 03, 2016, 22:10 (2962 days ago) @ dogcow

You would think that in the future where communications can be transmitted across the galaxy quickly the Tower could send you a notice of a mission or next step intel. That being said, I think improving this will lead to getting things done in a more fluid fashion.

I would love to see something like fletching from EQ (tradeskills) where you can make weapons, (blacksmith) armor, or even make little idols for Eris. Once you grind proficiency levels to a certain point the output is useful.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 03, 2016, 22:17 (2962 days ago) @ Kuga

I would love to see something like fletching from EQ (tradeskills) where you can make weapons, (blacksmith) armor, or even make little idols for Eris. Once you grind proficiency levels to a certain point the output is useful.

I'd love to see something like that.

Ultimately, I'd like to see more RPG systems, interesting quests, interesting NPCs, a more vibrant, living world, etc. Or I'd like to see it be a more straight up shooter. Destiny is in this weird middle ground that doesn't really satisfy what I want from an RPG, but the level design isn't good enough (for the most part) to feel as good as Halo did. Halo levels were fun to replay because the level and encounter design was so good. The Taken King addresses that, and even vanilla Destiny had some good stuff, but it was largely forgettable. I feel like they should really lean harder in one direction or the other.

That said, Destiny 2 could come out and be exactly the same as Destiny 1, just with different content, and I'd still happily buy and play the crap out of it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 01, 2016, 02:13 (2964 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've often wondered if the limitation has something to do with last-gen consoles. I have no evidence to back that up, but they have VERY limited RAM so it wouldn't surprise me.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, April 04, 2016, 11:37 (2961 days ago) @ Xenos

I've often wondered if the limitation has something to do with last-gen consoles. I have no evidence to back that up, but they have VERY limited RAM so it wouldn't surprise me.

It's also REALLY easy to blame the the last gen consoles. But jokes aside, I'm curious as to what the last gen consoles is actually doing to Destiny right now?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, April 04, 2016, 16:59 (2961 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It's also REALLY easy to blame the the last gen consoles. But jokes aside, I'm curious as to what the last gen consoles is actually doing to Destiny right now?

The funny thing is it wasn't until recently that I thought about it. With the number of games coming out for next gen with HUGE worlds with very minimal loading zones it's made me think about it a lot more.

I’d love to see this improved

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, April 01, 2016, 02:19 (2964 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’d absolutely love to see the loading system improved. And just allowing that method would provide some really great opportunities for chaining missions and patrols together. I’ve always been dumfounded by the fact that if Rando Calrisian is in the same Patrol bubble as me and I want to join him, I have to go to orbit and then come back just to be in the exact same spot. It has to be some aspect of how all these (phenomenally complicated) mechanics work and I’d love to see it become seamless.

Can you hypothesize problems with that?

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 01, 2016, 02:35 (2964 days ago) @ Beorn

They probably didn't want it to work this way either. What kind of problems could cause something like being forced to reload the level to join a party?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 01, 2016, 13:46 (2964 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am not really sure how it can be changed given the framework and goals of the game. The story missions need to be short and self contained in order to rotate them for daily activities. They need to funnel you into reused spaces so that you run in to other players.

While I would love longer more involved story missions, that would break some of the fundamental portions of the game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread