Anyone else stoked for Uncharted 4? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 00:25 (2956 days ago)

So, I'd never really played Uncharted before. I'd played just about an hour or so of Uncharted 3 on a friend's PS3 just to see what all the fuss was about. I remember thinking it was pretty, but ultimately not all that fun.

After playing through Uncharted 1 and half of Uncharted 2, I still think that's pretty accurate. I am absolutely enjoying it just for the crazy story, and I've become attached to the characters, but I don't think the gameplay is all that "fun". Partly I think it's just because of the age of the games--they feel like relics from a different era at this point, just wading through areas shooting dudes with some light platforming. It's fine, but the new Tomb Raiders do it better (and I'd love for Uncharted 4 to borrow Rise of the Tomb Raider's map design).

Coverage of Uncharted 4 is starting to drop, though, and I'm actually pretty excited for it. I just watched a video that shows off that the game is absolutely gorgeous. But more importantly, it seems like they've really made combat a lot more fluid, even going so far as to seemingly make stealth a viable option. Drake's new grappling hook looks great, and even the actual shooting looks like it's better somehow.

This video has me so hyped:

Now I just need to finish Uncharted 2 and 3!

(Also, just as an aside, I'd never played any of the Hitman games before, but I'm really, really enjoying the first "episode" of the new one.)

I am, and I'm not an Uncharted fan...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 01:51 (2956 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played a chunk of the first one, but I hated the controls and boring gameplay. After The Last of Us, though, I really wanted to give the series another try, so when I had the trial for PS Now, I downloaded and played Uncharted 3. Gameplay was still weak, but the plot was interesting, and the characters and dialogue were a joy.

Then I played the Uncharted 4 Beta, and really like the gameplay. It's like a faster version of The Last of Us' multiplayer (which would seem like a bad thing, given how masterfully tense the slower pace is, but it's different enough that the faster pace doesn't detract from the experience). I'm totally buying the Uncharted Collection in preparation for U4.

I am, and I'm not an Uncharted fan...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 18:24 (2955 days ago) @ Korny

I played a chunk of the first one, but I hated the controls and boring gameplay.

It's much improved in 2 on both counts. 3 keeps the good controls but has too much scripting and set pieces for my tastes.

Me!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 15:04 (2955 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And thanks for the video. That was awesome!

More comments

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 16:19 (2955 days ago) @ Kermit

I played all three games after I first bought a PS3 back in 2013. They seemed to be more or less the Halo of that platform, so I thought I should experience them. They weren't as old then, but the gameplay was, as Korny says, less than great. What I disliked about them was how much memorization was required to pull off key sequences. Too many set pieces were impossible to pull off on the first try simply because you didn't know about some show-stopping obstacle. Halo allowed for a lot more flexibility in your approach. All that said, I really enjoyed the characters. The voice acting is top notch. Based on what I've seen, the new game allows for much more improvising in terms of gameplay, and, because it's Naughty Dog, I expect a great story.

This guy.

by LostSpartan, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 16:02 (2955 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hoping they end it on a high note :)

How important is it to play the previous games?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 16:23 (2955 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If I picked up Uncharted 4, how important is it that I know about 1-3?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 16:32 (2955 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

If you play one, I'd play Uncharted 3.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 17:29 (2955 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I don't know, but you can get the Nathan Drake collection on PS4. It includes all three and runs at 60fps :-)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 17:48 (2955 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't know, but you can get the Nathan Drake collection on PS4. It includes all three and runs at 60fps :-)

So I'm lacking a console that I never intend to buy... that makes it slightly harder. Not impossible! but harder :-)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 18:23 (2955 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So I'm lacking a console that I never intend to buy... that makes it slightly harder. Not impossible! but harder :-)

I'm confused. If you don't have a PS4, how are you going to pick up and play Uncharted 4?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 18:33 (2955 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm confused. If you don't have a PS4, how are you going to pick up and play Uncharted 4?

Because I'm always under the assumption that every game is cross-console... I'm silly like that. My bad.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 21:33 (2955 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And just damn gorgeous in general. I think they're the best remastered games I've played in that respect. Both the Halo remasters just flat out don't look as pretty as the originals by virtue of absolutely destroying the art direction.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread