Ask Marty O'Donnell Anything! (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 21:00 (2940 days ago)

Please use this thread to ask Marty O'Donnell any questions you might have (well, any questions that he might be able to answer). Don't panic if you don't get an answer immediately; this is DBO, things are pretty laid back.

Marty - I'm gonna start with a pair of questions from Funkmon, who couldn't be here:

Why did you choose to start his own studio and make your own games instead of working somewhere else?

What recent games have had impressed you the most with sound design?

Ask Marty O'Donnell Anything!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 21:03 (2940 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Hi Marty, thanks for doing this AMA. All of us here at DBO are impressed with the work you did while at Bungie and we can't wait to hear The First Dreamer. (Only three days lef to fund and it's very close to being funded now!)

On Changing Technology:

• Technology has changed a lot since the Marathon days, how has your process changed along with the technology?
  • How much of the audio design is dependent on technological limitations?
  • What techological improvement are you most grateful for?

On Audio Design:

• When designing the audio environment, where do you start? Do you start with music, sound effects like gunfire, or do you just have an idea of what it should sound like when you start and then you just put things together to match that idea? Do you target a particular feeling?
  • How do you debug (just audio issues in general when multiple audio sources are mixing together) live game audio? Are there tricks to tracking down issues which are different from what programmers typically do?

On VR and Audio Setup:

• Does changing from stereo, to 3D audio with surround sound, to headphones on a VR headset change how you design the audio?
  • What kinds of things do you do differently?

On Sound Effects:

• What is the most difficult sound you have had to record?
  • What is the most interesting sound you have ever recorded?

Bah! Ninja'd!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 21:03 (2940 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

:D

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 21:04 (2940 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Ask Marty O'Donnell Anything!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 21:03 (2940 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Hello Mr. Maestro Marty O'Donnell Sir!

QUESTIONS:

• I know you have a "Golden Goose" Axiom, but do not know of it? What is it? Why is it? How did you come to this conclusion?

--Quote & Answer Here--

• Who is your favorite Maestro? Or to broaden the scope of this question, Who did you look up to/Hero/I want to be just like this person... yada yada yada. That. That question. Yes. :D

----------------------

• Old dogs can still learn new tricks. While I imagine you know much of the musical & conducting arts, Is there anything you are learning or struggle with. What don't you understand?

----------------------

• On this note I know you can play the piano, but is there any other instrument you can play? Or wanted to play that you didn't have the time for?

----------------------

• Were you always musically inclined? or Was it circumstance?

----------------------

• Any awesome teachers?

----------------------

• Forgive me as I presume, but it seems you might...*maybe*... just maybe, enjoy your work as if it was play. As such, what do you do in you down time?

----------------------

• Unfortunately I know of quite a few behind the scenes stories that could be described as bad or ugly or downright awful, involving things that have gone down in the videogame industry. While such madness is not lone to this industry, I find the outlook of such abuses to be vary concerning. I wonder if you have any good stories to tell? The bad ones get made and are told far too much.

----------------------

• Is your studio hiring? Or if it is, is it only for old dogs? Yipper snapper wet grass need not apply?

----------------------

• Why PS4 VR and not PC VR? Is it because of funding? I'm thinking it's because of funding.

----------------------

• Sound in VR. Is it basically the same as sound from a screen? Or is the thinking in it's creation different?

----------------------

(If I think of more as I read the responses I'll made a new post.)

----- And finally the most HORRIBLY self-serving question of them all that I HAD to ask -----

If (and only if) you have read my MEGAPOST - Any thoughts?

If you have not, don't worry about it. No one else did either. ;_; :P

Thanks for doing this Mr.O'Donnell. God Speed and Good Luck on Golem!

Use my thread instead...

by MartyTheElder, Saturday, April 09, 2016, 21:06 (2940 days ago) @ Claude Errera

and please read my simple rules.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread