PS4K, codename NEO--details revealed? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 18, 2016, 23:16 (2942 days ago)
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, April 18, 2016, 23:19

Giant Bomb posted an article with details about the new, upgraded PS4. Still no actual confirmation, but it's look more and more true (and making me question my purchases of a PS4 a few weeks ago).

Some tidbits:

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory.

Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.
Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

. . . there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.

PS4K, codename NEO--details revealed?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 18, 2016, 23:43 (2942 days ago) @ cheapLEY

FWIW, I've heard absolutely nothing at work corroborating anything regarding a new model. So either they're keeping the number of people who are developing for it very small (so as not to include in-the-trenches people like me), or it's all bunk.

I guess we'll find out which at E3.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 00:27 (2942 days ago) @ CyberKN

FWIW, I've heard absolutely nothing at work corroborating anything regarding a new model. So either they're keeping the number of people who are developing for it very small (so as not to include in-the-trenches people like me), or it's all bunk.

I guess we'll find out which at E3.

Anything is possible at this point, I guess. I obviously don't have a clue, but it's been reported on by enough people with independent sources that I believe it's probably real, but yeah, we'll see at E3.

Whether it will be good for consumers or not is another discussion entirely. I personally think it will be okay, if Giant Bomb's reporting holds true and Sony keeps parity between the base PS4 and the new one. It'll sell like crazy if it's a worthwhile upgrade, I'm sure. Hell, even though I just bought a PS4 I'd consider upgrading, if Gamestop does a decent trade-in deal like they did for the New 3DS.

The Next Sega Saturn?

by Durandal, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 09:57 (2941 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I mean, what could go wrong with an expensive addon that Dev's can't charge more for?

And DD64

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 12:04 (2941 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Are you thinking 32X?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 21:55 (2941 days ago) @ Durandal

How does that equate to the Saturn?

Anyway, I agree. Why would I buy better hardware if Devs will be hamstrung as to how much they can use it? I'll wait a couple years until the restrictions lift, or just never get it.*

*Crash cut to getting it Christmas morning 2016 because it has proper support for IR or something.

Maybe SEGA CD.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 22:59 (2941 days ago) @ Vortech

The 32X was relatively cheap.

Are you thinking 32X?

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, April 21, 2016, 17:16 (2939 days ago) @ Vortech

Anyway, I agree. Why would I buy better hardware if Devs will be hamstrung as to how much they can use it? I'll wait a couple years until the restrictions lift, or just never get it.*

*Crash cut to getting it Christmas morning 2016 because it has proper support for IR or something.

That seems an interesting stance to state here. Considering Destiny is still playable on 10 year old hardware.

:)

Are you thinking 32X?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 21, 2016, 17:56 (2939 days ago) @ RC

That seems an interesting stance to state here. Considering Destiny is still playable on 10 year old hardware.

:)

It's playable, but to the detriment of those of us with modern hardware.

Eh

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, April 22, 2016, 12:23 (2938 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think that supporting the older hardware is the problem there. I think it's a core engine design problem.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:49 (2941 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by stabbim, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:55

Hell, even though I just bought a PS4 I'd consider upgrading

Do you have a 4K TV? Because it sounds to me like the purpose of this thing is to run games at 4K resolution.

Edit: Assuming it actually exists.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:56 (2941 days ago) @ stabbim

Hell, even though I just bought a PS4 I'd consider upgrading

Do you have a 4K TV? Because it sounds to me like the purpose of this thing is to run games at 4K resolution.

This isn't correct. It's not going to be able to run games at 4K. It will have to upscale. High end PCs can barely even handle 4K. You are probably going to see games render at 1080p. I guess it's possible that low complexity games could render at 4K, but not AAA.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 13:59 (2941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Then what is it for? It appears to be a similar system with higher clock speeds and/or memory, but the games that run on it are required to be essentially identical to the "normal" PS4 games. Again, assuming these rumors are even true.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 14:10 (2941 days ago) @ stabbim

Then what is it for? It appears to be a similar system with higher clock speeds and/or memory, but the games that run on it are required to be essentially identical to the "normal" PS4 games. Again, assuming these rumors are even true.

The games do not have to be identical. Games can run in two modes, where the mode for the new PS4 can have better effects and graphics and stuff. Both modes must be interoperable. Basically the only difference is that if you have a new one, your games might look a bit better. Otherwise it's going to work the same way and you can play with all your friends like normal.

Moar particle effects!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 14:11 (2941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread