Get to know your DBO - SPACE! *sOT*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 13:27 (3971 days ago)

[S P A C E]

So here I am . . . reading about Super Moons, Destiny, and the Bungie trip to see Shuttle Endeavour, and the "New" Blood here at DBO (not necessarily in that order). I have always had a fascination with space (among . . .well . . . practically everything else) - and I find my self wondering about my fellow DBO compatriots - again particularly the newer posters. ;)

If I were to ask you to meet me in the Oceanus Procellarum of the Moon in Destiny - would you know where to join me? I would like to know that If I was to wonder how (or what) changed the venusian atmosphere of its heavy carbon dioxide and nitrogen atmosphere to they type of atmosphere that would support a forest of trees that could survive such a proximity to the sun - would I be in good company? Has anyone here stayed up till 4 in the morning just to watch streaks of light fall from the sky for the most-brief-of-a moment? (I also used that time to hoard the Oreos - but I digress)

I would say its a safe bet that many of us here can gather a certain enjoyment when it comes to the wonders of Space, I'm simply asking . . .

TL;DR? - How much do you enjoy "Space", What in particular about it, and how do you think such enjoyment and knowledge shall effect how you play Destiny?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, June 24, 2013, 13:53 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

When I was growing up, I remember being utterly bemused by Star Wars. I was young and had a short attention span, so the talking, story, and etc. flew over my head. What kept my attention was anytime there were ships involved and sprawling space scenes with huge planetary marbles.

I love to star gaze on a clear night for no particular reason. I love the immense scale of sci-fi and the wonder that still exists.

This is why, I want to pilot my ship in Destiny. I want one thing in space travel, just one requirement. I want to fly from surface to the outer atmosphere and see the blue fade to black, I want to see a tiny marble become bigger and bigger until I can see detail and land on a particularly nice continent. I could fly through space for 100's of hours of just exploration.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:56 (3971 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

When I was growing up, I remember being utterly bemused by Star Wars. I was young and had a short attention span, so the talking, story, and etc. flew over my head. What kept my attention was anytime there were ships involved and sprawling space scenes with huge planetary marbles.

I love to star gaze on a clear night for no particular reason. I love the immense scale of sci-fi and the wonder that still exists.

This is why, I want to pilot my ship in Destiny. I want one thing in space travel, just one requirement. I want to fly from surface to the outer atmosphere and see the blue fade to black, I want to see a tiny marble become bigger and bigger until I can see detail and land on a particularly nice continent. I could fly through space for 100's of hours of just exploration.

Long have we gazed at the stars. . .

In some nights - where I can't sleep simply because my brain won't let me (even though I am exhausted), I can go out side and gaze upon infinitude. Things just make more sense when you look unto everything. I often wonder as I gaze in the open sky how far I am really seeing, but can't see due to the lack of the reflection and our own sensitiveness to light. Looking into space is unlike anything else, a grace you feel with a sensation of truly forever. I often try to describe it - haven't been able to yet - if the words exist I'll figure it out. That's just from a naked eye perspective. It doesn't even begin to detail the enormity of forces that play with those little dots of light. Black holes, Pulsars, Supernova, & Space time. Who knew everything could be summed up so simply. Black and White. /Boss

[image]

In Destiny I look forward to venturing out to this brief vastness that is our little quadrant of the solar system. Flying among "Safe" distance of the Saturnine rings sounds like a lot of fun. In the end I hope Bungie can bring that kind of wonder - well - down to earth. And Mars. And Venus. And Mercury. And what the hey . . . the Gas Planets too.

Thanks for your replys all. I made this thread out of a whim of a question, unknown if I would get anything. I'm glad with the results. See you star side.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:58 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

<3

A silent requirement.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 22:06 (3971 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Because everything prefixed with "space" is 42% better

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 24, 2013, 13:58 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Grizzlei, Monday, June 24, 2013, 14:03

Like the five oceans did for the settlers of olden times (refer to Mayflower passenger Claude Errera), space offers the promise of a rich new future for a civilization mired in poverty, hunger, and petty societal differences dreaming to venture out into the stars. In a less poetic light space sparks the curiosity of anyone who looks up at the night sky. Looking down at an alien world or nebula with your own two eyes, grabbing a fistful of Martian soil, and wondering who else in our galaxy has the same dreams is super rad.

To purposefully misquote the great Tau'ri warrior explorer, Colonel Jack O'Neill, "I think people who don't want to go into space are equally as whacked."

Everything about Destiny rekindles that spirit of wonder and amazement the great starry abyss presents. Few science fiction tales give off a sense of something bigger, that you're only a simple composition of atoms in a great universe of trillions. That's why I'm wishing so badly that our ability to fly from planet to planet isn't constricted. I just want to take a stroll out into nothing with my wolf pack. :)

Seeing and experiencing

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 24, 2013, 14:12 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

TL;DR? - How much do you enjoy "Space", What in particular about it, and how do you think such enjoyment and knowledge shall effect how you play Destiny?

For me, the sight of a night sky, or of a picture from space, is enough to trigger a deeply emotional response, a sort of childlike wonder. I don't know any specific lunar locations, nor am I as captivated by how Venus is able to sustain life so much as I am stunned that I can go to Venus in the first place.

The sight of so many stars, the mind numbing immensity, the chance of seeing or experiencing something that has never been seen or experienced before, all of that is what I love about space. It's not that I am not deeply fascinated by the science behind everything I am seeing and experiencing (trust me, I am :) ), but I don't need to understand it in order to be amazed and humbled by it.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, June 24, 2013, 14:30 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Wow

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, June 24, 2013, 16:33 (3971 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

- No text -

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 24, 2013, 18:44 (3971 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

My all-time favorite website.

Woah O_O

That + OculusRift

'Nuf said.

There is only one way to rebut to this. . .

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:05 (3971 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

We are, all of us, stardust.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:28 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Neil DeGrasse Tyson, along with Michio Kaku, is rapidly becoming some of my favorite mouthpieces for the advancement of the sciences. At times reminding me strongly of Carl Sagan and his great works of poetic truth.

(Though the Scale of the Universe sight is pretty neat, I personally like the layout of 100,000 Stars better. But whatever floats your boat. Your space boat.)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:51 (3971 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Neil DeGrasse Tyson, along with Michio Kaku, is rapidly becoming some of my favorite mouthpieces for the advancement of the sciences. At times reminding me strongly of Carl Sagan and his great works of poetic truth.

Science is fucking awesome but many people don't know at. Scientists like Carl Sagan, Michio Kaku, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson do wonders for the popular advancement of the field. I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find any geek who didn't look back up at the stars in amazement without guys like astronaut Chris Hadfield and engineer Bobak Ferdowsi hitting it up on the Internet.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 03:11 (3970 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

(Though the Scale of the Universe sight is pretty neat, I personally like the layout of 100,000 Stars better. But whatever floats your boat. Your space boat.)

Well then, I sure do hope that you're aware of the Cosmos reboot that will be hosted by Mr. Tyson

I can't say that I've ever been more excited for something to happen on TV

I... need to go change my pants.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:41 (3970 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

They should've sent a poet.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:21 (3970 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

- No text -

Generic answer

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Monday, June 24, 2013, 14:36 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The unknown and the infinte possibilites. Also, I filmed the Endeavor if anyone is interested. Go see a space shuttle if you ever have the chance, it's a very emotional experience (or it was for me at least.)

Generic answer

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Monday, June 24, 2013, 19:10 (3971 days ago) @ biggy

Too late for space shuttles :-( I agree it was a life altering moment for myself. The possibility of commercial space travel taking off soon makes me very excited, a possible new career direction. Everyone should see a launch!

BTW space is the shit.

Generic answer

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Monday, June 24, 2013, 19:45 (3971 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

I remember when they first announced Virgin Galatic (years ago) I tried to create a fundrasier to send biggy to space. Tickets were/are around $200,000. I think it's still going (and sitting at $0).

Space Travel

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 24, 2013, 14:45 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I am mostly interested in Space in relation to us traveling through it. Space travel is so ridiculously complicated, people tend to not even think about a tiny percentage of it. Even when talking about traveling in relativistic speeds the logistics and calculations required to do something as "simple" as going to the moon is mind boggling. While it definitely talks about other things, if you haven't read (or more accurately struggled) through A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, I definitely recommend it. The illustrated edition helps a little, but it took me reading it 3 or 4 times to even understand the small fraction that I do.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, June 24, 2013, 15:24 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

A few years ago, when I was prone to feeling down and getting sad, I used to quite often think about space. I think the sheer scale of everything, the ever expanding wonder, really managed to cheer me up? None of these thoughts would conjure feelings of insignificance, despite us being so small in the grand scheme of things. I'd find it all so soothing. So humbling.

Space is rad.

I love the ocean depths for similar reasons. So unexplored and mysterious.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 24, 2013, 16:05 (3971 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

I love the ocean depths for similar reasons. So unexplored and mysterious.

Same here, my friend :)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 24, 2013, 16:50 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I often catch myself gazing at Luna, admiring it's craters and 'plains'. No, I do not know any names of almost any feature on real planets other than Earth, but I know our side of Luna almost as well as the back of my hand.

Space is both a frightening and an awe-inspiring thing to think about for me. The sheer chronological scale of it is a constant reminder of my own mortality, but the wonders always find a way to outweigh it.

As with Mass Effect's planet descriptions, I hope Destiny provides us with detailed geographical and atmospheric data of the places we visit. They were so entertaining to my inner astrologist.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:19 (3971 days ago) @ ZackDark

I often catch myself gazing at Luna, admiring it's craters and 'plains'. No, I do not know any names of almost any feature on real planets other than Earth, but I know our side of Luna almost as well as the back of my hand.

Space is both a frightening and an awe-inspiring thing to think about for me. The sheer chronological scale of it is a constant reminder of my own mortality, but the wonders always find a way to outweigh it.

As with Mass Effect's planet descriptions, I hope Destiny provides us with detailed geographical and atmospheric data of the places we visit. They were so entertaining to my inner astrologist.

Nor do you really have to - I can hardly recall them all. The few I do remember is because I find it sounds neat. (Oceanus Procellarum = Ocean of Storms = Bad Ass)

I would love to see them add detail to our beloved planets much like Mass Effect did.

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, June 24, 2013, 16:52 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[S P A C E]

So here I am . . . reading about Super Moons, Destiny, and the Bungie trip to see Shuttle Endeavour, and the "New" Blood here at DBO (not necessarily in that order). I have always had a fascination with space (among . . .well . . . practically everything else) - and I find my self wondering about my fellow DBO compatriots - again particularly the newer posters. ;)

If I were to ask you to meet me in the Oceanus Procellarum of the Moon in Destiny - would you know where to join me? I would like to know that If I was to wonder how (or what) changed the venusian atmosphere of its heavy carbon dioxide and nitrogen atmosphere to they type of atmosphere that would support a forest of trees that could survive such a proximity to the sun - would I be in good company? Has anyone here stayed up till 4 in the morning just to watch streaks of light fall from the sky for the most-brief-of-a moment? (I also used that time to hoard the Oreos - but I digress)

You are not alone in your desire to sit and wonder about how the worlds in Destiny became they way they are! I sincerely hope that Bungie provides some super cool sci-fi stories centered around the mysteries behind the changed planetary atmospheres and landscapes in our solar system.

I would say its a safe bet that many of us here can gather a certain enjoyment when it comes to the wonders of Space, I'm simply asking . . .

I get so much enjoyment out of it, I made it my career :)

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/263008358112571392

I simply can't wait to explore the worlds that Bungie is creating for us. I hope that Bungie takes the opportunity to show people just how amazing our REAL solar system is, as well as how great it is as a backdrop for a great science fiction story.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 24, 2013, 17:03 (3971 days ago) @ roland

I get so much enjoyment out of it, I made it my career :)

I never realized you were Craig Hardgrove. :) I definitely enjoy your contributions to Guradians of Destiny being the resident long time Bungie fan since the rest seem to have gotten in around Halo. Also I love "Somewhere in the Heavens." Glad to have you on DBO!

*Squeeee*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:19 (3971 days ago) @ roland

- No text -

Enemy Starfighter - space sim by Bungie vet

by Flynn J Taggart, Monday, June 24, 2013, 17:12 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Site here.

If there's no space flying-shooting sweetness in Destiny, this man has us covered.

[image]

That looks awesome.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 24, 2013, 18:42 (3971 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

- No text -

And sounds like a blast!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 24, 2013, 18:50 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

The game is a random single-player campaign about planning to shoot things in space, shooting things in space, and using loot from your last strike to make you better at shooting things in space.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 24, 2013, 19:11 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Well to answer your question...

The Procellarum is the focus of population on the Moon, the hub of a hundred habitats growing together over the decades of the lone satellite acting as the central harbor of incoming and outgoing traffic for Earth...

-Mayflower's Sol System Sourcebook

Always loved the idea of setting out into the unknown and down-to-earth space-exploration (that's an interesting way to put it...). And the world(s) I've been building for my Mayflower comic is definitely set upon that foundation.

[image]

It's exciting to see Destiny heading towards some of the same ideas that I was working on and building my reference library up for - like showing the scale and wonder of just our own system without needing hyperdrives and galaxy-spanning scales to make things seem epic. And all the odes I'm seeing to retro sci-fi visuals and authors like Jack Vance is also really exciting. Capturing the idealism of the golden age of sci-fi is definitely something Mayflower's trying to accomplish.

(I'm also super relieved that Destiny's trailers have shown it is very different from my own universe, so I don't have to be called a copycat when my comic finally comes out!)

*Edit: This wasn't supposed to sound like a plug - I just wanted to show that I love space so much that I've been trying to make a comic about it for years.

Buy an ad, ya sellout!

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, June 24, 2013, 20:13 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

:P

Yes. We get it. You can draw. Shhushh.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:14 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

It's exciting to see Destiny heading towards some of the same ideas that I was working on and building my reference library up for - like showing the scale and wonder of just our own system without needing hyperdrives and galaxy-spanning scales to make things seem epic. And all the odes I'm seeing to retro sci-fi visuals and authors like Jack Vance is also really exciting. Capturing the idealism of the golden age of sci-fi is definitely something Mayflower's trying to accomplish.

For some reason I get the feeling that hyperdrives aren't just part of the story for dramatic effect.

I know your post wasn't meant to be a plug - but wow way to plug. Check is in the mail right? :P

To paraphrase INSANEdrive: *squeeeeeeeeeee*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 07:57 (3970 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, June 24, 2013, 20:12 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I've actually been to space*!

Also drove down to Florida to see the very last shuttle launch. I was wearing a Bungie Aerospace shirt that morning. :)

*camp. Space Camp. Well, not as a camper; I went to an AIAA student conference at the museum next door during college.

by Flynn J Taggart, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:00 (3971 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I've actually been to space*!

Also drove down to Florida to see the very last shuttle launch. I was wearing a Bungie Aerospace shirt that morning. :)

*camp. Space Camp. Well, not as a camper; I went to an AIAA student conference at the museum next door during college.

I went to Space Camp as a camper and it was pretty sweet. They didn't let me be an astronaut as part of the final project though and it still pisses me off.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:10 (3971 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

There is not enough grapes on this earth to equal the amount of jelly I have for those of you who got to go to Space Camp.

by Flynn J Taggart, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:28 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

There is not enough grapes on this earth to equal the amount of jelly I have for those of you who got to go to Space Camp.

I loved it and wanted more. My brother hated it. We went to different camps though, I was in Huntsville and he was in Florida. Learning about space stuff most of the day, rides under the guise of astronaut training at night, and sneaking out with girl campers after lights off. It was most excellent, if I had a kid, I'd definitely send them. Apparently older folks can still go, but that's kinda weird I guess??? They segregate the various age groups, IIRC.

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, June 24, 2013, 23:19 (3971 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

I really really wanted there to be an anti-gravity room at Space Camp. C'mon NASA!

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, June 24, 2013, 22:23 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It's not so much space that I enjoy specifically, I more enjoy things that fly, whether they fly through air or vacuum. That said, I DO get really excited about the different challenges and opportunities that spaceflight presents, especially in the context of future science tech.

That's what I really love about playing with X-Plane; it's the perfect future-science experimentation tool. I can dream up some future tech, apply its own rules to the creation of an air/space craft, and X-Plane brings the reality of real-world physics (even in space) and you can see how your new craft flies (or doesn't).

As for Destiny; I'm really excited to see what the personal ships are really used for, other than "heralding your arrival to battle". I'm not saying I want dedicated spaceflight levels like Reach had, I'd actually rather have the exploring experience that they talk about on the ground...IN SPACE!

by mnemesis, Monday, June 24, 2013, 22:49 (3971 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm reminded me of Horologium and Vulpecula from Bungie's E3 booth a looooong time ago.

Space is awesome.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 08:14 (3970 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Our future is out there, in space, should we choose to have it.

by GrimBrother IV, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:18 (3970 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I have a great fondness if space. I used to work as one oc the lead presentation astronomers in a science museum, giving classes in the planetarium anf it was one if the most fun jobs ive had. I absolutely loved getting paid to learn and teach about the cosmos.
The amazing vastness and incredible detail of God's creation left me awestruck more and more with every new thing I learned about it. I cannot wait to see what bungie had done with out solar system and how they have woven science and fantasy together.

-IV

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread