Aus Gamers Destiny Interview

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 24, 2013, 20:34 (3956 days ago)

AusGamers interviewed Chris Butcher about Destiny. Pretty good read!

Favorite quote:

The storyline of Destiny is a journey. The player is travelling from place to place in one sense, but it’s also a journey of revelation, as the player is learning more about the world, they’re meeting more of these constant characters -- we have very strong storied and cinematic characters that exist in the world, and have their own motivations and relationships to each other -- and they’re also learning more about the factions of aliens and enemies.

Some more quotes I liked

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 24, 2013, 20:45 (3956 days ago) @ Xenos

On weapon customization:

The particular weapon you’re talking about is the exotic machinegun, the Thunder Lord I think, so that particular weapon has a fairly linear upgrade path, but there are others that are much less linear in the game. Some of these upgrade trees have got choices, where you’re going to have to decide “Am I going to do this, or am I doing to do that?”; you can’t have all of the upgrades.

So for example: I could have a pulse rifle and say “Well, do I want my pulse rifle to have more ammo capacity, so I can shoot for longer without reloading? Or do I want my reload time to be shorter, so I can reload more effectively?” -- that’s one example of a choice you might make that will change your playstyle. Some players might go “Well, I’m going to be going into competitive multiplayer a lot more often, so I’m going to go one way”, or “I want a bigger clip, so I can go another way on a weapon”.

On social features:

We’re also showing that we want Destiny to be a world that you can interact with, wherever you are. So there’s going to be the ability for you, on mobile devices, or any devices really, for you to reach out to the game-world and stay connected to it no matter where you are.

PvP?

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:46 (3956 days ago) @ Xenos

Chris: "We’re still in a pretty pre-alpha state, so the event that we were showing at E3 is one example of a number of different kind of events. In this one, they’re full-on, they’re going to show up, and they’re going to be there in that space -- maybe they’re going to be attacking some target, or maybe attacking other players that are in the vicinity -- "

Exciting, the first sign of PvP that I have seen so far. Or maybe he is saying 'they' as in Fallen are doing the attacking.

It is good to know that weapons are fully customizable, that is how we get millions of different guns. Multiplayer, when actually announced, might be the big selling point of this game.

PvP?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:51 (3956 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

Chris: "We’re still in a pretty pre-alpha state, so the event that we were showing at E3 is one example of a number of different kind of events. In this one, they’re full-on, they’re going to show up, and they’re going to be there in that space -- maybe they’re going to be attacking some target, or maybe attacking other players that are in the vicinity -- "

Exciting, the first sign of PvP that I have seen so far. Or maybe he is saying 'they' as in Fallen are doing the attacking.

It is good to know that weapons are fully customizable, that is how we get millions of different guns. Multiplayer, when actually announced, might be the big selling point of this game.

Yeah I said it in another post awhile ago, but I am VERY curious to see how they balance these million weapons for competitive multiplayer. Seems like a Titan-sized task.

PvP?

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 07:02 (3956 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

I got the sense that the 'they' were the Fallen, that they don't always land just to clear out Guardians in the area but that they, too, may have specific objectives they're trying to achieve.

Aus Gamers Destiny Interview

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 24, 2013, 21:53 (3956 days ago) @ Xenos

Things:

- The House of Devils drop off a Devil Walker™ brand Spider Tank. I wonder what the other brands look like.

- Very interesting that the same gun you are holding can be used in both single and multiplayer. Seems like it would be bad to bring in a single player upgraded gun into multiplayer. Surely you can have more than one of each gun and maybe there is an option to make loadout presets so you can have your multiplayer gear then swap back to your single player stuff easily?

- The question several places have asked is, basically, will those colony ships that fell over in the demo stay felled over for all of Destiny's players. Seems to me that the obvious answer would be no, mainly because they'd get knocked over on day 1 and nobody else would ever see the awesomeness.

- The talk of matchmaking in this interview seemed pretty standard stuff. Finding good connections is something that Halo has been doing for years.

- Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit strange that Bungie revealed a new vehicle, the Sparrow, in the E3 demo with no fanfare? Every other thing, the Ghosts, the enemies, the Spider Tank, the Old Russia Wall, etc, were big major things… and oh yeah here's a speeder bike we're barely going to show or mention. Also… where's my Warthog equivalent? And Falcon?

I love it when you get a broader worldview

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 02:23 (3956 days ago) @ Xenos

Awesome interview! Thanks for sharing, after reading it, I appreciate your quote picks as well!

You are welcome!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 07:11 (3956 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread