Destiny: Current Gen Vs. Next Gen

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 07:05 (3970 days ago)

How is Destiny going to be different on current gen consoles vs next gen consoles? Obviously, there will be differences in the graphics quality as I would expect the next gen consoles to be able to handle higher graphics, but what about functionality? Will there be features missing on current gen consoles? For example, I know Destiny is going to be a persistent online world and I have seen articles and interviews where it is mentioned that the next gen consoles are allowing developers to really expand what they can do with games and persistent online worlds. So if a next gen console allows developers "more", than it stands to reason that a current gen console allows developers "less". How does this affect Destiny on current gen consoles.

To put it simply, I'm not rolling in cash, and video game purchases are a rare commodity for me. I buy maybe one game a year, if that. And I fully intend to get Destiny. So if Destiny plays perfectly on the Xbox 360, barring the loss in graphics quality, then what, if any, incentive is there for me to justify purchasing a next gen console currently? Forget the myriad features list of the Xbox One or the PS4. None of that makes a big difference to me. What I really want to know is: Graphics aside, Why is Destiny better or the Next Gen Consoles compared to the current Gen?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 07:16 (3970 days ago) @ Mariachi

From everything I've read and heard Bungie keeps repeating the a phrase that basically says "We want to make Destiny the same experience no matter how you play it." Now, I suppose you could interpret that somewhat differently, but to me that means all the features will be the same but the graphics will be a lot better on next gen, in which case since you don't care a whole lot about the graphics you would be just fine playing it on the current gen.

That said, I will be very impressed if they can put in all the features that seem to be in the works for Destiny into the current gen systems. I'm not saying it's impossible, but man that will be quite a feat!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 07:23 (3970 days ago) @ Xenos

I believe it's quite possible that networking will be better one the Next Gen. In that there may be dedicated servers or other forms of networking infrastructure available to Next Gen users than the prior Gen. This could affect everything from lag during intense firefights to the number of players able to participate in Public Events.

Though, I'd say that's unlikely. I bet the difference will involve graphics only.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 08:51 (3970 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Though, I'd say that's unlikely. I bet the difference will involve graphics only.

Me too. In fact, I think the biggest difference will be on draw distance. Considering how big Bungie is announcing Destiny will be, that will be a major difference.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:10 (3970 days ago) @ ZackDark

Me too. In fact, I think the biggest difference will be on draw distance. Considering how big Bungie is announcing Destiny will be, that will be a major difference.

Yeah the difference between 512MB of RAM and 5-8GB of RAM is pretty amazing, especially for something like draw distance. (Heck, according to Umbra, Bungie gave them less than a meg to do occlusion on current gen systems, so they are definitely doing CRAZY amounts of optimization)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:17 (3970 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:31

Yeah the difference between 512MB of RAM and 5-8GB of RAM is pretty amazing, especially for something like draw distance. (Heck, according to Umbra, Bungie gave them less than a meg to do occlusion on current gen systems, so they are definitely doing CRAZY amounts of optimization)

Fun fact:

The first two crash bandicoot games for the Playstation 1 (which had 2MB of RAM) had draw distances of only a couple hundred meters. Crash 3, which also came out for the playstation, increased that to about 6 kilometers.

So like, with 8GB of RAM the draw distance could be 24000 kilometers using Naughty Dog technology circa 1998 :-p Bet they want Max back now!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:29 (3970 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Fun fact:

The first two crash bandicoot games for the Playstation 1 (which had 2MB of RAM) had draw distances of only a couple hundred meters. Crash 3, which also came out for the playstation, increased that to about 6 kilometers.

So like, with 8GB of RAM the draw distance could be 24000 kilometers using Naughty Dog technology circa 1998 :-p Bet they want Max back now!

Yeah I have heard about that with Crash 3. The other factor of course is what they are occluding. If you make a simple enough looking game you can have a ridiculously large draw distance. Basically what Bungie is doing with Destiny is on par with what Naughty Dog did with Crash 3. It may not be unprecedented but it's still impressive. Especially when you compare it to what other games have done on 360.

by Pfhrogblast, Finland, Friday, June 28, 2013, 14:15 (3967 days ago) @ Xenos

Fun fact:

Yeah I have heard about that with Crash 3. The other factor of course is what they are occluding. If you make a simple enough looking game you can have a ridiculously large draw distance. Basically what Bungie is doing with Destiny is on par with what Naughty Dog did with Crash 3. It may not be unprecedented but it's still impressive. Especially when you compare it to what other games have done on 360.

Ooh, ooh! Crash Bandicoot! I know something interesting about that!
With the first game at least, the camera was always on a predetermined track so Naughty Dog actually pre-calculated all the occlusion information and the game just read it off the disc. According to an anecdote, a single playthrough of that game uses up all the disc reads a PSOne's CD-drive is actually rated for :P

by NM_Che56, Friday, June 28, 2013, 08:01 (3967 days ago) @ Xenos

Thanks for the reminder. I'm in a similar boat. I'll get more than 1 game a year, but I am not able to just poop $400-$500 for a new console, especially when we all know that the price will go down eventually. Like OP, I want this game badly but if the only difference is graphic quality, lag, and draw distance, then I can live with that. Honestly, some of these newer games look pretty good. When you put them next to some of the 2005 launch titles, they look like night and day!

As far as lag goes, and I'm no techy, the key is the cloud; i.e., the game is hosted in the cloud so you don't have user bandwidth issues causing lag on your end when the host has a crappy connection. So if games are hosted in the cloud, then wouldn't that fix lag regardless of which console you're on (i.e., "We want to make Destiny the same experience no matter how you play it", taking it literally)?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread