Microtransactions (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 01:00 (2892 days ago)

I played some Overwatch today at a friend's house. It's a really, really fun game. I don't think it's something I would play long-term, just because I'm not much in for competitive multiplayer stuff much anymore. But it was fun for the few hours I spent with it.

It made me realize something about microtransactions that I've been struggling with, though. Obviously it's been an issue here, in regards to how it's implemented in Destiny, and Overwatch made me realize why I hate them, even though that should have been obvious all along.

To begin with, I don't necessarily have a problem with any and all microtransactions. My issue comes from two factors.

1. RNG. In Overwatch you can buy loot crates that are normally obtained when you level up. They contain cosmetic only items like skins and poses. Of course, what you get is random. It's gambling, pure and simple, and it's a shitty, exploitative thing to have in a game. If I want a particular skin or pose, I should be able to buy exactly what I want. Destiny does basically the same thing, offering things you can buy that can turn into a random sparrow or horn during SRL, or a new piece of armor in the last update. You can't get exactly what you want without gambling.

2. New content. I have a problem with Overwatch's microtransactions in that they are selling content that is already included in a game that I would have to pay $60 for. It could be argued that you are not forced to pay for the loot boxes, and, while that is correct, Polygon did the math--it would take approximately 1,000 hours of play time to unlock everything. That's ridiculous, and obviously rigged to make people want to spend money. Destiny, at least, has offered up new content in it's microtransactions. New Sparrows, Sparrow Horns, new armor--all stuff that wasn't previously available.

I shouldn't have to pay to get a chance at a random item that was included in the game I already bought, and that's why Overwatch's microtransactions are shit.

I don't think they have to be bad. If Destiny rolled out new items like they have been only on a more regular basis (and with shaders!) I might actually spend small amounts of money on said items. Instead, developers expect folks to spend $20 (or more) on slot machines for the chance to get the one item they actually want. The sad thing is that it's working. I was a supporter of microtransactions when they first came to Destiny, but have come to see how wrong I was about that. #codywasright

Anyway, that's my rant for the day, and honestly was just a chance to work out my feelings about microtransactions.

Devil's advocate

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 04:32 (2892 days ago) @ cheapLEY

While I personally believe that Microtransactions are an abhorrent practice designed specifically to exploit a certain segment of the population with poor impulse control, Overwatch actually handles it a lot better then most.

There's an in-game currency system in overwatch. Players can only acquire this currrency in two ways:

-As a random drop from Loot-boxes, in various amounts
-If a player gets an item they already own from a Loot-box, that item is converted into a small amount of currency.

Meaning, there's no way to outright buy currency (unless you count buying a large amount of loot-boxes, which will probably give you a fair amount)

You can then use this currency to buy ANY specific cosmetic unlock you want (that is obtainable randomly from Loot-boxes).

The Destiny Equivalent would be having a vendor that sells all Exotics for a certain amount of Exotic shards. So If you really want that Jade Rabbit, but keep getting other exotics, you would be able to eventually just bypass RNG entirely.

It's still dumb that we live in a culture where Microtransactions in Full-Price games are accepted. Hopefully we'll grow out of it.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 05:02 (2892 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's still dumb that we live in a culture where Microtransactions in Full-Price games are accepted. Hopefully we'll grow out of it.

I don't think it will go away. Micro transactions are one thing that is impossible to buy used, and the idea that used games are unethical is gaining following at an alarming rate. Developers know this and want to make more money. Publishers and developers have fed you that narrative so you swallow the idea more easily.

Devil's advocate

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 12:50 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

. . . and the idea that used games are unethical is gaining following at an alarming rate.

I still don't get this at all. That's literally not the case with any other thing I buy. Used car? Fine, there's a huge economy built around used cars. Used books? Cool! Used albums? Awesome! Hell, used shoes? There's a market!

Why should video games be any different?

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 13:24 (2891 days ago) @ cheapLEY

. . . and the idea that used games are unethical is gaining following at an alarming rate.

I still don't get this at all. That's literally not the case with any other thing I buy. Used car? Fine, there's a huge economy built around used cars. Used books? Cool! Used albums? Awesome! Hell, used shoes? There's a market!

Why should video games be any different?

Well, I do get it to a small degree. It really wasn't a huge concern for companies until the digital age. Take cars for example, you're buying a product that has gone down in quality since it was first sold, and that was the case with MOST used items. It was a known matter that had to be weighed, do I want a new, perfect version of something, or a used I-get-what-I-pay-for version. After the digital age a lot of that pretty much went away. Now you're buying a version that is 99% of the time just as good as the version that I bought on day one, so there's a certain amount of horror over the idea of why would the customer buy it at full price when they can buy it for less? The unethical part is just a tool to try and get people to feel bad about buying used.

Heck I even wouldn't buy a used copy of an indie title because i want to support indie devs, but luckily most indie devs only have digital releases anyway so it's not a concern. (And I still wouldn't call it unethical)

That's not to say they are going about trying to resolve the issue in the right way, but there is absolutely some logic behind their fears.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:02 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

Take cars for example, you're buying a product that has gone down in quality since it was first sold, and that was the case with MOST used items.

It is the case with used video games too:

1. The disc or cartridge will have wear and tear.
2. Multiplayer servers will be less populated or in some cases shut down.
3. The technical aspects of the game will have aged.

It is 100% exactly the same.

That's not to say they are going about trying to resolve the issue in the right way, but there is absolutely some logic behind their fears.

There is no logic there. I do not recall ever hearing the music or film industry decry used sales, even though nowadays you are still buying a digital product on an optical disc, same as a video game.

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:05 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is the case with used video games too:

1. The disc or cartridge will have wear and tear.
2. Multiplayer servers will be less populated or in some cases shut down.
3. The technical aspects of the game will have aged.

It is 100% exactly the same.

As long as the game can play 1 doesn't matter, the product is the data, not the medium, unlike a completely physical product (especially in today's gaming world without even a manual). Not all games are multiplayer so 2 doesn't always apply. And 3 matters less the closer to release it is, and most used games are purchased closer to release than say with a used car.

So 100% is a SEVERE exaggeration. At least be reasonable when arguing.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:07 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

the product is the data, not the medium

False. Go tell Sony you want another bluray for free because your old one got scratched up and can't be read. You paid for the data not the disc, right? I'll bet they'd send you a new one right over at no cost to you!

Oh what's that? Your Wii broke and you want to re-download your games to a new one? You can't? Gee that's weird, because I thought you said you paid for the data not the medium.

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:09 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

False. Go tell Sony you want another bluray for free because your old one got scratched up and can't be read. You paid for the data not the disc, right? I'll bet they'd send you a new one right over at no cost to you!

You BLATANTLY ignored the first part of the sentence, congrats on being unreasonable again. You are purchasing the data, the disc is the way to GET the data. If it can play that's generally ALL YOU CARE ABOUT.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:13 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

You BLATANTLY ignored the first part of the sentence, congrats on being unreasonable again. You are purchasing the data, the disc is the way to GET the data. If it can play that's generally ALL YOU CARE ABOUT.

If you pay for the data as you say, then you should never be in a situation where you can't access it.

Compare it to the way computer software works where you do pay for the data. I lost my Avid installer. I had the choice of getting another DVD sent to me, or to download the installer from them. See the difference? They make the data available to me at all times. Because I paid for the data, I get the data. This is not so with physical games. If you break the disc and no longer have access to the data, you are out of luck. Same with records, CDs, DVDs, Blurays, etc.

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:16 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Compare it to the way computer software works where you do pay for the data. I lost my Avid installer. I had the choice of getting another DVD sent to me, or to download the installer from them. See the difference? They make the data available to me at all times. Because I paid for the data, I get the data. This is not so with physical games. If you break the disc and no longer have access to the data, you are out of luck. Same with records, CDs, DVDs, Blurays, etc.

I completely understand what you're saying and you're making a completely different argument than what we're talking about. But compare it to a car. Wear and tear matters beyond how your car runs. The seat is ripped up? The value is lowered. The stereo doesn't work? The value is lowered. With a disc for a video game no matter how messed up the disc is, if it plays the game (aka you can access the data) technically all the features of the product (the game) are functioning as if the game was new. On day one I could rip the label off of a blu-ray, and even scratch the disc to hell, but if it plays my game, the product itself is not diminished.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:19 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

I completely understand what you're saying and you're making a completely different argument than what we're talking about. But compare it to a car. Wear and tear matters beyond how your car runs. The seat is ripped up? The value is lowered. The stereo doesn't work? The value is lowered. With a disc for a video game no matter how messed up the disc is, if it plays the game (aka you can access the data) technically all the features of the product (the game) are functioning as if the game was new. I could rip the label off of a blu-ray, and even scratch the disc to hell, but if it plays my game, the product itself is not diminished.

Go to a used game store and sell your game in the following conditions:

1. Complete in box with the manual, and the game in pristine condition.
2. Game in a sleeve where it is scratched but functional.

You will get more money for the better one. The condition of your game absolutely positively has an effect on the value of it. You can even get discounts on scratched media or cartridges with worn (but functional) connectors. This is true everywhere: ebay, used game stores, garage sales, etc.

You're completely wrong.

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:23 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Go to a used game store and sell your game in the following conditions:

1. Complete in box with the manual, and the game in pristine condition.
2. Game in a sleve where it is scratched but functional.

You will get more money for the better one. The condition of your game absolutely positively has an effect on the value of it. You can even get discounts on scratched media or cartridges with worn (but functional) connectors.

You're completely wrong.

See ONCE AGAIN you're missing the point of the argument (and I'm getting to the point where I believe you're doing it intentionally), this isn't about the value of the game to the store, we're talking about the value of the game as the game itself. To the company that makes the game you just bought a game that they would have made a certain percentage of its full price for what they see as nothing, because they get nothing back from it. But your experience is not diminished in any way because you bought a physically crappy used copy. You don't see the logic of how the company sees it as a lost sale? Even if you'd waited until a sale and bought it for cheap they still make a cut. But because you bought it used they see it as a lost sale. And the important part: THE GAME FUNCTIONS THE SAME. It's not like a car where to the consumer it's not as good, as soon as I put it in my console, who cares that it's missing its label?

(And seriously the exaggeration is GETTING OLD)

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:28 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

And the important part: THE GAME FUNCTIONS THE SAME.

Even if that were true, that is not the totality of the experience in owning a game.

Some people care about the packaging and supplemental material such as manuals, posters, artwork, etc. A new game will function much longer since wear and tear will render a used copy inoperable sooner than a new copy starting fresh. Tell me that's not worth something? These things demonstrably have value as they change the price of used games.

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:42 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And the important part: THE GAME FUNCTIONS THE SAME.

Even if that were true, that is not the totality of the experience in owning a game.

Some people care about the packaging and supplemental material such as manuals, posters, artwork, etc. A new game will function much longer since wear and tear will render a used copy inoperable sooner than a new copy starting fresh. Tell me that's not worth something? These things demonstrably have value as they change the price of used games.

And I almost completely agree with you. I'm purposefully taking the position of the company though, not the consumer. Their perspective is about loss of sales. Even if it's not a one to one loss of sales, there is assuredly some loss of sales for the original company. The fact that that is in fact true means that they have a desire to try to curb used sales as much as possible (aka there is a certain amount of logic).

Wait a sec...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:44 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

See ONCE AGAIN you're missing the point of the argument (and I'm getting to the point where I believe you're doing it intentionally), this isn't about the value of the game to the store, we're talking about the value of the game as the game itself.

I could actually use the same argument against your car analogy, couldn't I?

Wait a sec...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:48 (2891 days ago) @ ZackDark

See ONCE AGAIN you're missing the point of the argument (and I'm getting to the point where I believe you're doing it intentionally), this isn't about the value of the game to the store, we're talking about the value of the game as the game itself.

I could actually use the same argument against your car analogy, couldn't I?

No, because the bits of the game function the same. The car isn't in the same condition. With modern games you're not even reliant on the bits from the disc, it's just a check to make sure you can download the game from the servers.

Wait a sec...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:54 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

No, because the bits of the game function the same. The car isn't in the same condition condition.

Do they?

There are tons of games now that do not function they way they were supposed to when they came out due to changing hardware and software.

For example, Harry the Handsome executive was a decent game from Ambrosia SW. It used MIDI for the music, and when Apple updated MIDI instruments in OS 7.6, the game's music suddenly changed. The music changed again in OS 8. The game can't even run anymore unless you have an old computer. You have to emulate it.

Games like Unreal which took advantage of specific chipsets (Voodoo2) won't look the same now. Emulators get tons of stuff wrong and have to tradeoff speed and accuracy.

Some games even behave differently on the PSX versus playing them on the PS2 or PS3.

Many time, the games DO NOT function the same now as the did when they were released. In fact, this is a major area of concern now in the form of digital preservation. As the original experience becomes harder and harder to have, used games get less and less valuable. Hence the need to buy new.

Wait a sec...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:55 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, because the bits of the game function the same. The car isn't in the same condition condition.

Do they?

There are tons of games now that do not function they way they were supposed to when they came out due to changing hardware and software.

For example, Harry the Handsome executive was a decent game from Ambrosia SW. It used MIDI for the music, and when Apple updated MIDI instruments in OS 7.6, the game's music suddenly changed. The music changed again in OS 8. The game can't even run anymore unless you have an old computer. You have to emulate it.

Games like Unreal which took advantage of specific chipsets (Voodoo2) won't look the same now. Emulators get tons of stuff wrong and have to tradeoff speed and accuracy.

Some games even behave differently on the PSX versus playing them on the PS2 or PS3.

Many time, the games DO NOT function the same now as the did when they were released. In fact, this is a major area of concern now in the form of digital preservation.

This is much less of a concern though with modern games: with modern games you're not even reliant on the bits from the disc, it's just a check to make sure you can download the game from the servers. As far as not running as well as far as hardware, that's a completely different (albeit incredibly interesting) issue.

Wait a sec...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:56 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

This is no longer a concern though with modern games: with modern games you're not even reliant on the bits from the disc, it's just a check to make sure you can download the game from the servers.

Destiny is a great example of a game where if you bought it used later your experience would be drastically different. As per your argument above, that will only be more prevalent going forward.

I literally cannot have the same story campaign experience now that I did on September 8th. Questification, Dinklebot, exotic balance changes, etc.

Wait a sec...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:01 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is no longer a concern though with modern games: with modern games you're not even reliant on the bits from the disc, it's just a check to make sure you can download the game from the servers.

Destiny is a great example of a game where if you bought it used later your experience would be drastically different. As per your argument above, that will only be more prevalent going forward.

I literally cannot have the same story campaign experience now that I did on September 8th. Questification, Dinklebot, exotic balance changes, etc.

And interestingly enough that is a big part of the reason WHY publishers and developers LOVE games like Destiny, because it severely discourages you from waiting to pick it up later. It's a part (whether intentional by Bungie or not) of their attempt to curb used sales.

Wait a sec...

by Avateur @, Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 01:06 (2890 days ago) @ Xenos

Hopefully Always Online can be turned off somewhere down the line, because Destiny will be literally unplayable if the servers ever go down. Halo 2's servers may have gone down, but I can still play the campaign and custom games all I want. Destiny won't even let you past the first screen whenever they close it all down or move on or whatever.

Just my 2 pence..

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:34 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Many time, the games DO NOT function the same now as the did when they were released. In fact, this is a major area of concern now in the form of digital preservation. As the original experience becomes harder and harder to have, used games get less and less valuable. Hence the need to buy new.

If I bought a N64 and Mario kart now, it would function EXACTLY the same as release.

It's only newer MULTIPLAYER games were your above point is valid.

Games get lower in price over time because of the lack of demand. If 5 million people buy a game on release, the creators are not going to get another 5 million sales 2 years later because people already have the game.

The reduction in price has absolutely no relevance to the quality or playability of a game.

Just a side note, the game industry is so different to both music and film as the game industry is an interactive experience. You listen to a song or watch a film until they are finished, you have no influence on the song or film. If you listened to a song or watched a film for the 500th time, it would be 100% the same as the first time as no change can be made to it. You can't listen or watch in a different way.

You can play a game a different time multiple times after the first time.

If you cannot honestly see the points I've made above as valid you're either ignorant or stupid.

Just my 2 pence..

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:44 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

If I bought a N64 and Mario kart now, it would function EXACTLY the same as release.

Do you still have an old CRT television lying around? If not, then no it would would not function the same. Someday nobody will. A lot of people NOW don't.

Just a side note, the game industry is so different to both music and film as the game industry is an interactive experience. You listen to a song or watch a film until they are finished, you have no influence on the song or film. If you listened to a song or watched a film for the 500th time, it would be 100% the same as the first time as no change can be made to it. You can't listen or watch in a different way.

You can watch a movie with the commentaries, the special features, etc. How is that even relevant to the point? Games can be different the second time, yeah? So how does that make used sales invalid?

Just my 2 pence..

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:04 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you still have an old CRT television lying around? If not, then no it would would not function the same. Someday nobody will. A lot of people NOW don't.

Yes I do and if I didn't, I could buy one.
This still doesn't change the fact the game would still play exactly the same as release.
I couldn't play an Xbox game without an Xbox, right?

Again your point is ignorant and useless.

You can watch a movie with the commentaries, the special features, etc. How is that even relevant to the point? Games can be different the second time, yeah? So how does that make used sales invalid?

Please point out where I said my point made used sales invalid? Or did you just make this up along with the other bullshit you spout round these forums?

I was merely saying that the game industry is VERY DIFFERENT from music and film as such, must be treated separately.

You wouldn't compare a magazine to watching TV, would you?

Just my 2 pence..

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:07 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

Yes I do and if I didn't, I could buy one.
This still doesn't change the fact the game would still play exactly the same as release.

You think playing a game on a monitor it was never designed for, upscaled, is the same as playing it properly? For one thing, stuff like Duck Hunt won't even work on a non CRT. Many games utilized scanline tricks that don't work as well or give strange results on HDTVs. Upscaling also completely destroys 2D art. For Mario Kart 64 you might be able to get a near perfect experience. But for Mario Kart original you wouldn't.

Just my 2 pence..

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:12 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You think playing a game on a monitor it was never designed for, upscaled, is the same as playing it properly? For one thing, stuff like Duck Hunt won't even work on a non CRT. Many games utilized scanline tricks that don't work as well or give strange results on HDTVs. Upscaling also completely destroys 2D art. For Mario Kart 64 you might be able to get a near perfect experience. But for Mario Kart original you wouldn't.

You are wrong.

You are confusing the way a game would play with what would be needed to make it play.

Everything you've written above is illrelevant.

I can go on eBay and buy everything I need USED the same I would of bought 15 years ago and have exactly the same experience as launch. Nothing you say will change this.

Just my 2 pence..

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:42 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

Just a side note, the game industry is so different to both music and film as the game industry is an interactive experience. You listen to a song or watch a film until they are finished, you have no influence on the song or film. If you listened to

I was merely saying that the game industry is VERY DIFFERENT from music and film as such, must be treated separately.

Just wanted to jump in and say that how interactive a product is has little baring on used/new markets, resale value, etc. Videogames and music or movies are directly comparable because they are all entertainment. The fact that games are interactive makes them unique in terms of the nature of the entertainment, sure. But it does not make them inherently more valuable in the long term. I do get the point you're making, but we need to remember that the vast majority of people don't even finish a game once, much less replay it several times. And as far as music or movies go, the fact that it is a "static" experience does not harm their "replayability". I can play an album through my headphones on the way to work, then listen to it quietly in the background while I'm cooking dinner, then have some friends over and crank it through the stereo while everyone gets drunk and dances around. Same music, but totally different experiences. And yes, hearing music in these different ways will allow you to appreciate it in different ways, too. That's part of the fun :)

Just my 2 pence..

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:49 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just a side note, the game industry is so different to both music and film as the game industry is an interactive experience. You listen to a song or watch a film until they are finished, you have no influence on the song or film. If you listened to

Just wanted to jump in and say that how interactive a product is has little baring on used/new markets, resale value, etc. Videogames and music or movies are directly comparable because they are all entertainment. The fact that games are interactive makes them unique in terms of the nature of the entertainment, sure. But it does not make them inherently more valuable in the long term. I do get the point you're making, but we need to remember that the vast majority of people don't even finish a game once, much less replay it several times. And as far as music or movies go, the fact that it is a "static" experience does not harm their "replayability". I can play an album through my headphones on the way to work, then listen to it quietly in the background while I'm cooking dinner, then have some friends over and crank it through the stereo while everyone gets drunk and dances around. Same music, but totally different experiences. And yes, hearing music in these different ways will allow you to appreciate it in different ways, too. That's part of the fun :)

Firstly, thank you for a well structured reply with actual valid points.

I especially like the reference to music being a

static experience

Whilst yes it is true it doesn't affect their repeatability, it does affect their value used to some extent.

I guess the main issue is the absolute abundance of multiple copies of the same music/film from different sources. I could find 18 YouTube channels all with the same song uploaded for example.

The absolute effortlessness of obtaining 2nd hand music and films means you don't even have to pay for a "used" copy.

Games on the other hand and very hard to re-create from their original source. I do not believe used sales affects the gaming industry negatively however, I wholely agree for the points above the music and film industry are very negatively impacted due to actual loss of sales.

I know I may have gone off topic a bit, but you raised very interesting points in regards to music and film VS gaming

Just my 2 pence..

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 18:04 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

Firstly, thank you for a well structured reply with actual valid points.

Likewise :)

I especially like the reference to music being a

static experience

Whilst yes it is true it doesn't affect their repeatability, it does affect their value used to some extent.

I guess the main issue is the absolute abundance of multiple copies of the same music/film from different sources. I could find 18 YouTube channels all with the same song uploaded for example.

The absolute effortlessness of obtaining 2nd hand music and films means you don't even have to pay for a "used" copy.

Games on the other hand and very hard to re-create from their original source. I do not believe used sales affects the gaming industry negatively however, I wholely agree for the points above the music and film industry are very negatively impacted due to actual loss of sales.

I see that as more of a technological difference vs a difference in the nature of the content. The reason music is so easily found all over the Internet is because it's easy to do. There are so many different ways to grab a simple audio file and throw it online. If it were possible to do the same with videogames, we'd already see it.

But to your point, yes the abundance of ways to hear music can be seen as a loss of potential sales. But I'm not convinced it makes THAT much of a difference. The advantage to buying music is that you can listen to it whenever you want, wherever you want, as often as you want. YouTube is great if I want to check out a song to see if I like it or not, but there are still enough limitations to it that it doesn't replace purchasing a song or album that I REALLY care about. And on the flip side, it might actually lead me to buy MORE music, because I can check stuff out without paying any money, then buy it if I like it.
I see YouTube and soundcloud as more of a replacement for the radio than actual sales.

All that being said, there is absolutely a generation gap. Younger people today are not used to owning anything: they stream their music, TV, and movies, and games are not far behind. I asked my coworker's 17-year-old daughter "what was the last album that you bought" and she looked at me like I was crazy. The idea of owning an album would never occur to her and her friends.

Just my 2 pence..

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 18:11 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All that being said, there is absolutely a generation gap. Younger people today are not used to owning anything: they stream their music, TV, and movie

Perhaps this is the major point.

The generations as they go on are killing the industries because technology is allowing them to do so.

Completely unrelated:

by Funkmon @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 19:10 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

It says I can't message you on XBL because of privacy settings. WTH?

Completely unrelated:

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:35 (2891 days ago) @ Funkmon

Bruh what.

My other Xbone friends can send me messages, my Xbox been really crappy lately. Delayed messages by hours.

I'll be setting up my Xbone on Wednesday though so we can play together maybe :)

OH SNAP! You bought one? And Destiny and TTK?

by Funkmon @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 22:53 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

- No text -

Yeah bruh

by Raflection, Monday, May 30, 2016, 06:06 (2891 days ago) @ Funkmon

Had my Xbone for over a month, not been set up because it's a anniversary present from my wife. Together 5 years, married 1 hear. (Married on 4th anniversary day)

And I bought a new copy of Destiny legendary edition and a headset so it's all ready to be set up.

Doing Wednesday because it's day off work and I'll need the whole morning to DL all the patches and compatibility packs, not to mention the Xbone updates.

Just my 2 pence..

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 18:52 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All that being said, there is absolutely a generation gap. Younger people today are not used to owning anything: they stream their music, TV, and movies, and games are not far behind. I asked my coworker's 17-year-old daughter "what was the last album that you bought" and she looked at me like I was crazy. The idea of owning an album would never occur to her and her friends.

Try asking her what the last concert she went to was. I'm sure the response would be different. Some things won't ever change.

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:13 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is no logic there. I do not recall ever hearing the music or film industry decry used sales, even though nowadays you are still buying a digital product on an optical disc, same as a video game.

Seriously, you have a chronic exaggeration problem.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:16 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

Explain to me how it's not 100% analogous. Games, movies, and music are all digital products sold on optical media. Literally the same thing; you are paying for a pressed disc full of bits. Only one has a problem with used sales. Explain how games are somehow different. they aren't.

Devil's advocate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 15:17 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Explain to me how it's not 100% analogous. Games, movies, and music are all digital products sold on optical media. Only one has a problem with used sales. Explain how games are somehow different. they aren't.

You ignore my point. NO LOGIC is such an exaggeration it's not even funny. If you don't understand that it's not worth my time arguing because you're unreasonable.

Devil's advocate

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 19:09 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oh come now, Cody (words I'm sure I've never had to say to you before...)

The very first thing that came to my mind was the film industry vs Redbox. Here's a great New York Times piece about the issue. Some choice quotes:

These machines are to the movie industry what the Internet was to the music business -- disaster.

Analysts also see a threat to studios in Redbox’s practice of selling about half of its DVDs into the used market (after renting them about 15 times at an average of $2 a transaction). By signing deals with Redbox, Paramount and Sony got the kiosk operator to agree to destroy their discs rather than resell them.

Beyond that, the movie and music industries are the ones who have fought consumer interests every single step of the way from the invention of the VCR to their febile and pathetic attempts to set up digital storefronts to the highly questionable John Doe lawsuits against their own customers over copyright violations!

To think that these groups weren't also against rentals is beyond naive. To say that you can't recall them ever complaining about rentals... It's you being intentionally and dilberately obtuse and frustrating and revisionist.

Basically, it's classic Cody Miller.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 19:23 (2891 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Thank you for the article.

Studios actually love rentals since they make a lot of money off them. It's an additional revenue source that they otherwise wouldn't have. Films make much more money overall when the home video and rental options are available. In fact, many films are only profitable after their theatrical runs due to video.

Devil's advocate

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:08 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Digital rentals, sure. Everyone (Apple, Amazon, etc) pays the movie and tv companies per rental. But what about the topic we were actually talking about: physical game rentals and resells.

mad.max told me rentals don't help the company much.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:19 (2891 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Funkmon, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:29

Now, obviously, renting does help. It gives Family Video money, tells them the consumers want the game, so they buy 10 copies. The question is how many people rent each game and if those people would have bought the game.

I am going to rent Mirror's Edge, and I rented Doom. If I didn't live near a place where I could rent those, I definitely would have preordered them to get Amazon's $20 off preorders bonus.

So that's what a developer said, and that's all I know.

Devil's advocate

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 22:39 (2891 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Digital rentals, sure. Everyone (Apple, Amazon, etc) pays the movie and tv companies per rental. But what about the topic we were actually talking about: physical game rentals and resells.

Physical rentals work the same way that digital rentals do. As a store, you don't just buy a copy of a film and rent it out. It doesn't work that way. There is a rental agreement with the distributor who gets a cut, or the copy that is authorized for rental will cost significantly more than retail to make up.

Devil's advocate

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 23:46 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Physical rentals work the same way that digital rentals do. As a store, you don't just buy a copy of a film and rent it out. It doesn't work that way. There is a rental agreement with the distributor who gets a cut, or the copy that is authorized for rental will cost significantly more than retail to make up.

In all cases everywhere ever, right? 100% you've never heard of it being different? And what about used sales? Do those not exist anymore?

My take on new vs used game sales

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:23 (2891 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:31

When it comes to used game sales, I believe that publishers (and yes, some developers) have their heads planted firmly up their own asses. The assertion that used game sales are hurting profits or driving studios out of business is entirely false. Publishers love this claim because they get to blame someone else, rather than look at their own business models.

Here's the thing about used products in general: any time people are willing to buy a used product, it is because they believe the item has some level of intrinsic value or worth beyond it being "brand new". Used cars, CDs (less so, these days), clothing, musical instruments, furniture, etc. All of these items have such a high perceived value that people will buy them even if they're 20+ years old... In some cases, people are willing to pay MORE for older examples because of the rarity and historic value. And yet these industries are still able to make and sell plenty of new products without crying "used sales are killing us!"

As Xenos pointed out, many Devs and publishers have gone to great lengths to directly combat the used market. This is a HUGE mistake for the industry. Pre-order bonuses, digital sales, DRMs, aggressive sales and price decreases, even the nature of the games themselves are all creating an atmosphere of "play it DAY 1 or don't play it at all". And that is a huge step towards commoditization, or decreasing the inherent perceived value of any videogame. If I buy something knowing that I have no way of selling it once I'm done with it, it is no longer an item with inherent value. It is now, in effect, disposable. Use it until I'm done with it, and then.... what? Throw it out? Or in the case of digital sales, forget I even own it? (I'm actually a big fan of buying things digitally, but there is an insidious element to how quickly my purchases and all the money I've spent fade from memory without a shelf full of cases to remind me).

Once a product, in this case video games, slips into the realm of commodity, it becomes far more difficult to sell them. The only reasons people buy disposable products is a) they really NEED them, or b) the product is CHEAP enough that the consumer will still purchase them. When it comes to videogames, this process is well underway.

Cody mentioned the music industry, and it's a great comparison. Record labels bitched and moaned that napster, piracy, and used sales were all killing them. Far from the truth. Ultimately, consumers were sick of paying $15-$20 for crappy music. The labels spent decades shaping their own industry into a process where the quality of what they were selling was of no concern. They would spend millions on marketing (often at the expense of their artists) to convince the public to buy the latest crap record from their newest manufactured pop star. And it wasn't just music listeners who were sick of it. The artists were sick of getting screwed every which way by the labels that were supposed to be representing them. Retailers were sick of being strong-armed into ordering thousands of discs that they KNEW wouldn't sell, then being forced to blow them out at a discount which negated their already thin margin. That's why NOBODY came to the music industry's aid or defence when it crumbled. The labels had been exploiting everyone around them for so long that the artists, retailers, and consumers were all happy to see it burn to the ground.

Sound familiar?

Look at the state of the video game industry AROUND the major publishers. The people making the games are severely overworked, have little or no job security, and face increasingly shocking levels of abuse from their online "fans". Industry veterans are leaving larger studios like rats from a sinking ship, and forming their own independent teams so they can make their games without being treated like crap by a giant corporate structure. Retailers are shutting down all over the world, as the publishers keep finding new ways to bypass them completely. Retailers are forced to sell new games at roughly %7 profit margin (sometimes less, sometimes more), and they need to sell consoles at a 1% profit margin. That's right. When you buy a $400 console from a retailer, they make $4 profit (<- Canadian figures, not sure about other regions). How the fuck is any business supposed to survive on margins like that? OF COURSE they've turned to used game sales as a way to survive. It's their only option.

And finally, look at gamers. It's hard to think of a more bitter, jaded, sceptical bunch, isn't it? I'm not talking about the disgusting underbelly of the GamerGate movement or anything that extreme. Just everyday gamers. The gaming community is tired of paying too much money for games of too little quality. Tired of marketing campaigns that flat-out lie about the nature of the game being sold ("Hunt the Truth" indeed). Tired of pre-order bonuses that don't matter, deluxe edition crap that ends up in the garbage (I'm all for little deluxe pack-ins, when they're good. Love my Ghost). Tired of paying $60-$80 for a game that doesn't even work. No wonder so many gamers are now saying "I'll buy it used" or "I'll wait for it to go on sale". Many of us already know that games aren't "worth" $60, because it's so damn easy to pay less than that and still get the game brand new.

So when I hear publishers complain about used game sales, they get no sympathy from me. They have completely put themselves in this position. To then I say:

"Want us to pay full price for new games more often? Stop selling us broken, rushed crap, and stop lying to us. Want your developers to make better games? Given them more time, let them work more reasonable hours, and stop firing them every 8 months. Want retailers to push new games more than used? Stop taking so much damn money for yourselves and give retailers enough margin to survive."

/rant

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:41 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:44

Once a product, in this case video games, slips into the realm of commodity, it becomes far more difficult to sell them. The only reasons people buy disposable products is a) they really NEED them, or b) the product is CHEAP enough that the consumer will still purchase them. When it comes to videogames, this process is well underway.

This is exactly what has happened with mobile gaming. People already scoff at anything more than a few bucks. Mobile games are worth nothing. To be fair, price structure AND game quality both make that true, but the idea is the same. It's not even an experience you sit down and devote time to! Literally that game is on your phone just to pass the time when you are waiting for something.

It is also why you are 100% right that developers and publishers should stop focusing on microtransactions and focusing on making the complete package the best it can possibly be. Something worth paying for.

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:53 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is also why you are 100% right that developers and publishers should stop focusing on microtransactions and focusing on making the complete package the best it can possibly be. Something worth paying for.

This is the best thing you've said all thread Cody.

I completely agree they should stop focusing and in some cases relying on microtransactions however, do not feel they should be abolished completely.

I would happily pay $60- $70 for a game if I knew I was getting the complete package for the game and if any future updates/ additions the devs decided to through out would not mean I bare the cost.

Hoo-rah!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 29, 2016, 23:09 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm quite optimistic about the general state of the gaming industry. I think it is about to burst the swollen bubble it's become, as evidenced by the aggressive use of microtransactions and season passes to secure money as fast and as early as possible. However, the massive amount of high-skill indie companies forming up shows some people are already ready to make high-quality stuff free from these and other aggressive tactics, not to mention tight deadlines.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 23:59 (2891 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Hoo-rah!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 30, 2016, 03:25 (2891 days ago) @ ZackDark

the massive amount of high-skill indie companies

LOL

Might've misphrased

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 30, 2016, 09:30 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I meant really skilled people are spinning-off on their own, forming up indie companies. If the company themselves will produce anything of value or not remains to be seen, but it's still uplifting to see.

Might've misphrased

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 30, 2016, 12:50 (2890 days ago) @ ZackDark

I meant really skilled people are spinning-off on their own, forming up indie companies. If the company themselves will produce anything of value or not remains to be seen, but it's still uplifting to see.

If you look at music though, how many times has the band split up and the solo careers or spin off groups not measured up to the original group? Sure it works out sometimes. But I think everybody would benefit more if the talented people stayed together and didn't have to split. In Bungie's case, it's not a good sign given that the talented people feel they have to leave or were forced out to begin with.

Might've misphrased

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 30, 2016, 13:48 (2890 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Them leaving is a sign the industry is barely holding itself together. Them banding up is the reason I remain hopeful.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 23:39 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I do have to disagree to a small degree. Used sales absolutely take a cut out of new sales. Some percentage of people that buy the game used would have bought the game, even if they waited for it to go on sale. And I'm fine with companies trying to prevent that in ways that aren't anti-consumer (such as with online games, having limited time events as a feature of the game), but yeah, I think DRM and other similar practices are anti-consumer for sure.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 30, 2016, 00:03 (2891 days ago) @ Xenos

I do have to disagree to a small degree. Used sales absolutely take a cut out of new sales. Some percentage of people that buy the game used would have bought the game, even if they waited for it to go on sale. And I'm fine with companies trying to prevent that in ways that aren't anti-consumer (such as with online games, having limited time events as a feature of the game), but yeah, I think DRM and other similar practices are anti-consumer for sure.

There's no doubt that used sales do canibalize a portion of potential new sales. The point I'm trying to make is that despite that, a strong used market reinforces the strength and value of the product in question. If we get to a point where nobody can ever sell or trade their old games once they're done with them, I guarantee we'll see a marked decrease in new sales. People are less likely to take a chance on a game that they *might* like if there's no way for them to sell or trade it down the road.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 30, 2016, 00:22 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Also, it's not like they can't internalize the used games markets to themselves. All it takes a bit of clever programming and management.

I mean, everyone was crying death when MP3 came up, but look where we're now.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, May 30, 2016, 01:53 (2891 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

And this makes me mad that Microsoft was so completely marketing / messaging inept. They could have had used digital games if they'd just told people that's what they were going to do instead of being scared of gamers and dripping the news out part by part where every part was incomplete and made things sound bad when they might have been good...

Hear hear! Your "rant" is quite accurate.

by Kahzgul, Monday, May 30, 2016, 12:43 (2890 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Microtransactions

by Kahzgul, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:36 (2891 days ago) @ cheapLEY

My issue with microtransactions is that there's simply no consumer protections in place to prevent them from being abused. Some games are like Mass Effect 3, where the money from the microtransactions turned into free and massive expansions to the game, available to everyone, as they were completed. And every one of those expansions was awesome and a huge upgrade. Other games are like Clash of Clans where the entire game is designed to funnel you into microtransaction hell and take thousands and thousands of dollars from you.

Still more games are like Destiny, where microtransactions exist, but give you basically nothing tangible. SRL was rad but temporary. Live team support for an always online game should have been included in the original cost and not dependant on microtransactions. Crimson doubles and other "events" are pretty much just minor custom gametype tweaks that gave us something different to do, sure, but feel an awful lot like they took maybe a week to whip up (with most of that time just being the reskinned art for the tower, which was fully unnecessary). The latest PoE patch is the best thing we've gotten out of microtrans in Destiny, but even that is taking one of the worst parts of the game and making it marginally better... It's not nearly an expansion's worth of content.

And then there's hearthstone, where the game is free but funded by microtransactions. There's ample in-game currency to support F2P players, but also a very large time commitment for those players if they want to "be competitive."

For all of these things, the players have no means of guaranteeing that what they are buying is in any way worthwhile. There are no legal protections to force the company to deliver on its promises of "your microtransaction fees pay for future development." There's no recourse if you feel like you've been ripped off. And there's no guarantee that there isn't some kind of super shady algorithm working behind the scenes to figure out who is willing to pay money when RNG screwed and then RNG screw them over and over, or - conversely - give favorable outcomes to people who paid money over F2P players.

Until we can see the man behind the curtain or have a means of legal recourse when that man turns out to be evil, I refuse to participate in microtransactions. It's a completely unregulated market with captive audiences and that combination scares the piss out of me.

The part you're missing

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:42 (2891 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I refuse to participate in microtransactions.

Microtransactions are entirely optional.

Large paid DLCs are not.

With DLCs you do get substance added to a game however, it's basically you pay to upgrade your game or your experience is limited.

With microtransactions, you can choose to pay a small amount which benefits funding the game without feeling like you're missing out if you don't take part.

The part you're missing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:46 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

Large paid DLCs are not.

With DLCs you do get substance added to a game however, it's basically you pay to upgrade your game or your experience is limited.

With microtransactions, you can choose to pay a small amount which benefits funding the game without feeling like you're missing out if you don't take part.

If the experience is pick and choose, then it must not be that important to the overall experience. So, that's one reason why I don't buy. Almost by definition it's going to be stupid.

The part you're missing

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 17:09 (2891 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If the experience is pick and choose, then it must not be that important to the overall experience. So, that's one reason why I don't buy. Almost by definition it's going to be stupid.

Choice is the entire premis of microtransactions

The part you're missing

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:12 (2891 days ago) @ Raflection

Sure, but that doesn't make them good. Stabbing myself in the dick is optional.

Large paid DLCs are not.

That's not necessarily true. You could play Halo without the map packs and still get a good experience. I did it with Halo 3 for quite a while. Destiny obviously screws that up, for sure. It's all a matter of implementation, though.

The part you're missing

by Raflection, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:38 (2891 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sure, but that doesn't make them good. Stabbing myself in the dick is optional.

Stabbing yourself would give you no gain, even if only cosmetic.
Microtransactions allow players to gain small additions to their game without giving them an advantage over players who don't partake

Large paid DLCs are not.

That's not necessarily true. You could play Halo without the map packs and still get a good experience. I did it with Halo 3 for quite a while. Destiny obviously screws that up, for sure. It's all a matter of implementation, though.

Unfortunately it's been a very long time since Halo 3. I am sorry but you just can't compare games now as to how they were before.

And map packs don't really add substantial change to the gameplay like say, new subclasses and gear would in a dlc.

Y1 Destiny is best destiny

by ProbablyLast, Monday, May 30, 2016, 02:17 (2891 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So the DLC might actually be a downgrade

The part you're missing

by Kahzgul, Monday, May 30, 2016, 12:49 (2890 days ago) @ Raflection

Depends on the game. Some pay to win games are microtrans or lose, every time. Supercell games are the only ones I can think of like that off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

Large paid DLCs are not.

I disagree. If you don't like the content in a DLC, you can choose not to buy it. I haven't bought any of the fallout 4 DLCs yet (though I will be buying far harbor at some point) and I still love the game.

Yeah, that's... that's the whole premise of DLCs. We can agree on that.

My whole point is that you shouldn't be paying the developer to develop their own game outside of kickstarting (and probably shouldn't do it there either because of just how horribly insecure it is). I don't go to a store and pay the guy money and say "I'd like to buy your mystery food box" not knowing at all what's in it. I buy some apples, and only after I've checked out the apples to make sure that they're good apples and not red apples. #greenapplesmasterrace

Microtransactions

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, May 29, 2016, 16:58 (2891 days ago) @ Kahzgul

For all of these things, the players have no means of guaranteeing that what they are buying is in any way worthwhile. There are no legal protections to force the company to deliver on its promises of "your microtransaction fees pay for future development." There's no recourse if you feel like you've been ripped off. And there's no guarantee that there isn't some kind of super shady algorithm working behind the scenes to figure out who is willing to pay money when RNG screwed and then RNG screw them over and over, or - conversely - give favorable outcomes to people who paid money over F2P players.

I would say that there is SOME accountability needed on both sides here though. Buying microtransactions just to support "future development" is not why they expect people to buy them. I'm loving Overwatch, and they put in microtrasactions to help them pay for future maps and characters, which will be released for free. Does that mean that their obligated to give X amount of content in the future for my microtransaction today? Absolutely not, because they straight up tell me what I'm getting for my money: a loot box like every other loot box I earn when I level up. That's not worth it to me so I have no plans to ever buy any loot boxes from them, but it's about the merit to you personally for the purchase that matters. As far as pay to win, they are never successful in mainstream gaming (mobile is a strange space).

Microtransactions

by Kahzgul, Monday, May 30, 2016, 12:39 (2890 days ago) @ Xenos

I would say that there is SOME accountability needed on both sides here though. Buying microtransactions just to support "future development" is not why they expect people to buy them. I'm loving Overwatch, and they put in microtrasactions to help them pay for future maps and characters, which will be released for free. Does that mean that their obligated to give X amount of content in the future for my microtransaction today? Absolutely not, because they straight up tell me what I'm getting for my money: a loot box like every other loot box I earn when I level up. That's not worth it to me so I have no plans to ever buy any loot boxes from them, but it's about the merit to you personally for the purchase that matters. As far as pay to win, they are never successful in mainstream gaming (mobile is a strange space).

Blizzard is arguably the most open company about their microtransactions. I really like how they handle it all on the surface, but there's still no guarantee that there isn't a coder somewhere with his thumb on the scale. When there's no financial incentive to deny content to people who haven't paid, there's a lot more trust between dev and player. I'm not saying Blizzard is doing this - in fact reddit testing with hearthstone shows they are expressly *not* doing this, but there is literally no way for players to verify that fact. Also, blizzard doesn't hold their content hostage for microtransactions - it's coming whether they get sales or not, where bungie straight up said they were switching to microtransactions as a means to fund new content, implying that if no one buys, no one gets new content. Maybe SRL isn't coming back because not enough people bought racing books (which would be *so lame* if that was the case).

And you're right about the flip side: There's no guarantee whatsoever that players will buy your microtransaction items. You can put a ton of work into something and get literally nothing in return. But that's a risk with any product. I prefer to pay for what I want (buying something) rather than pay for a chance at what I want (gambling).

If you compare the overwatch microtransactions with destiny's there's also a notable difference: in overwatch, the in game currency you can earn will let you buy more packages. In destiny, until sterling treasures, there was no way at all to get the other items they sold. It was pay more money or get nothing. Which is fine in a free to play game, but sucks balls when you already shelled out more than $100 for the game and all of its expansions.

Total Biscuit Reveals he's an idiot

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 23:19 (2885 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, June 04, 2016, 23:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-drM9TA63I

His argument:

1. Progression systems take time to get through
2. He has more money than time

Therefore, he would like to pay to skip.

All the while without realizing he is paying to not play a game. Instead of doing what a critic would do, namely finding a game to play instead where he wouldn't have to pay to not play parts of it, he decides to buy microtransactions. Right? If you have no time, why not only play the best games that completely respect it? Why not ask developers not to have meaningless progression systems in the first place? So now he wastes both his money, and his time.

Microtransactions to skip progression are not pro consumer! Simply making all the cosmetics available immediately to everyone is pro consumer!

When you look at it this way, you will see why these systems are really stupid. I never thought much of him as a critic, as he simply regurgitates talking points and goes by checklist instead of thoughtful analysis, but this one just takes the cake.

In my opinion Overwatch's microtransactions are bullshit, and I will never ever play this game.

by Avateur @, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 01:03 (2885 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In my opinion Overwatch's microtransactions are bullshit, and I will never ever play this game.

I have to agree that they are bullshit, but unlike that guy's stuff in your vid there, microtransactions to unlock emblems and things (which I'm fully against) is not an example of paying not to play in Overwatch. Overwatch is fantastic and fun in general, and the microtransactions do not detract from the experience. I'll never spend a cent on a microtransaction in this thing, but holy shit have I put a ton of hours into this game already. Been playing with a bunch of people from here, too. It's a blast, and you're missing out if you're avoiding it just based on the poor microtransaction model. Just saying, you should try it with the gameplay and fun in mind.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 03:29 (2885 days ago) @ Avateur

I have to agree that they are bullshit, but unlike that guy's stuff in your vid there, microtransactions to unlock emblems and things (which I'm fully against) is not an example of paying not to play in Overwatch. Overwatch is fantastic and fun in general, and the microtransactions do not detract from the experience. I'll never spend a cent on a microtransaction in this thing, but holy shit have I put a ton of hours into this game already. Been playing with a bunch of people from here, too. It's a blast, and you're missing out if you're avoiding it just based on the poor microtransaction model. Just saying, you should try it with the gameplay and fun in mind.

He won't. He hates being constantly proven wrong.

But yeah, I haven't even played Overwatch on my own account much. Playing the game for fun is fun enough that I don't even bother signing out of Sammy's account to hop into a match or two. Wish I could play with Sammy, but we're still not going to pay for a game with such barebones content (it's even worse than Titanfall, now that I think about it).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 15:36 (2884 days ago) @ Korny

I love being proven wrong. Because that means I can change my mind and later be right!

That'll be the day.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 21:08 (2884 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 21:11 (2884 days ago) @ Korny

But yeah, I haven't even played Overwatch on my own account much. Playing the game for fun is fun enough that I don't even bother signing out of Sammy's account to hop into a match or two. Wish I could play with Sammy, but we're still not going to pay for a game with such barebones content (it's even worse than Titanfall, now that I think about it).

I don't find the lack of content that bad, it's about on TF2 launch levels as far as content in my mind. But hopefully that will change for you eventually since all new maps and heroes will be free.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 04:20 (2885 days ago) @ Avateur

Overwatch is fantastic and fun in general, and the microtransactions do not detract from the experience.

If you listened to the video, he explains exactly how they detracted from his experience. I will say it again since I laid it out in the original post:

He does not have the time to play to get packs for free. Therefore, he has to pay for packs. This detracts from the experience, because the game was designed with this 'friction' element, necessitating him to contemplate skipping playing the game by paying more money.

If the game were designed without these unlocks hidden behind an investment system, or one where you could progress in less time, then there would be no detraction from the experience.

The entire fucking point behind paying for unlocks is because the experience is better than the one where you don't pay. I'd call that detracting from the experience. As he actually admitted! He is just stupid and thinks it's a good thing he can pay more to not be inconvenienced, rather than playing a game that doesn't inconvenience him in the first place.

He's an idiot for thinking it detracts from the experience

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, June 05, 2016, 15:35 (2884 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can't even see your character often enough to justify his annoyance over cosmetic items being grindy.

It would be like complaining about how much you have to grind in Destiny to get sparkly eyes on your character (if it had such thing), so you want to be able to pay for it.

He's dumb for caring about cosmetic items.

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 05:22 (2885 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Fire Opal, Sunday, June 05, 2016, 06:01 (2885 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What I never get is why buy a game and then give the company more money not to play it !

I could not understand it in Destiny with the level up package that people could buy for some huge price. Why buy the game in the first place.

I get it in a free to play game, other than World of Tanks, something I never play, but that's a different entity.

Bemusing lol

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread