Ads on DBO

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 01, 2013, 19:03 (3963 days ago)

I realize that Claude has graciously kept bungie.org ad free.

However when you embed Escapist Videos into newsposts, what do I see when I play it? AN AD! ON DBO! :-p

If you just link like on HBO, this could have been avoided.

Making mountains out of molehills.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, July 01, 2013, 19:17 (3963 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But... if you decided to hop on over to The Escapist to watch the video... you would have seen an ad anyway?

It's lovely that DBO is ad free, yes, and I don't think the embedded video is at all a problem.

Ads on DBO

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 01, 2013, 19:59 (3963 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah that's like saying if someone shifts the view of a webcam so you can see a billboard suddenly the webcam has ads... I'll take the convenience of being able to watch it on DBO over a technicality any day.

Ads on DBO

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, July 01, 2013, 20:23 (3963 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There weren't any ads on the frontpage until you clicked "play", so I'm just going to blame you for everything.

Ads are great!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 01, 2013, 20:31 (3963 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Where else can you learn about the latest flash-based browser medieval RPG starring a voluptuous red haired vixen promoting the latest in free PlayStation 2 consoles for your unwavering faith in Jesus Christ, horny singles in your area, or enlarge your thingymajiger in five seconds?

In any case, I have no problem with an advertisement here and there. I applaud Claude for keeping it free of pesky ads, but I'd never raise a fuss if he decided it to be necessary.

Wow

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 01, 2013, 21:32 (3963 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Where else can you learn about the latest flash-based browser medieval RPG starring a voluptuous red haired vixen promoting the latest in free PlayStation 2 consoles for your unwavering faith in Jesus Christ, horny singles in your area, or enlarge your thingymajiger in five seconds?

Wait, your ad had all of those?! Mine was just some silly movie. I think I'm jealous…

Wow

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 01, 2013, 22:18 (3963 days ago) @ Beorn

Wait, your ad had all of those?! Mine was just some silly movie. I think I'm jealous…

I have some weird cookies.

Wow

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 05:08 (3963 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I have some weird cookies.

I tried those once...

Wow

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 10:02 (3963 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I tried those once...

Did they taste like... victory?

Segway…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 01, 2013, 22:10 (3963 days ago) @ Cody Miller

… right off a cliff perhaps, but here it goes.

Am I the only person who likes text articles better than videos, podcasts, or whatever else? Not that I don't listen to / watch almost everything that comes across the front page, but there's something about a few good pages of text that I enjoy. Maybe it's that text rarely has annoying blaring music, a long intro, or (as Cody pointed out) irrelevant ads. Also it seems like audio or video… video especially… is something you have to pay much more attention to. Or maybe it's the way it is much more "natural" and easy to stop reading and return to where you left off, where anything else requires you find the pause button and then find the play button again. Also text doesn't buffer (read stall on my lame connection) or have to download (much, no nitpicking!) it's just there waiting for you. And if you accidentally close the window good luck getting your audio or video back to the same point, with text you can quickly reload and scroll back to where you were.

So yeah, from now on I request, nay demand, transcripts of every non-text based thing that come across the front page. Thanks. :p

Segway…

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, July 01, 2013, 22:17 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Am I the only person who likes text articles better than videos, podcasts, or whatever else? Not that I don't listen to / watch almost everything that comes across the front page, but there's something about a few good pages of text that I enjoy. Maybe it's that text rarely has annoying blaring music, a long intro, or (as Cody pointed out) irrelevant ads. Also it seems like audio or video… video especially… is something you have to pay much more attention to. Or maybe it's the way it is much more "natural" and easy to stop reading and return to where you left off, where anything else requires you find the pause button and then find the play button again. Also text doesn't buffer (read stall on my lame connection) or have to download (much, no nitpicking!) it's just there waiting for you. And if you accidentally close the window good luck getting your audio or video back to the same point, with text you can quickly reload and scroll back to where you were.

Yep. Always click on text things, rarely click on video/audio articles. Besides what you already said, I think it's the rehearsed voice that a lot of vidbloggers and podcasts have. I just automatically start cringing and I have to click away! Trailers, clips from things are usually fine, though.

Segway…

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 01, 2013, 23:12 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So yeah, from now on I request, nay demand, transcripts of every non-text based thing that come across the front page. Thanks. :p

Honestly (even though I know you're kidding) I have been thinking about doing this merely because videos are hard to scan or search for information. If I ever decide to actually do it I'll make sure to post the transcripts here.

Segway…

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 05:10 (3963 days ago) @ Xenos

Honestly (even though I know you're kidding) I have been thinking about doing this merely because videos are hard to scan or search for information. If I ever decide to actually do it I'll make sure to post the transcripts here.

I can promise you a pretty home for your work if you ever decide to go forward with this. :)

Segway…

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 13:28 (3963 days ago) @ Xenos

I generally prefer text except for the really good analysis videos such as what Destiny Updates did recently. YouTube has an autocaption feature, and you can read these automated transcripts for many videos. Unfortunately, it's in beta, so it's not perfect, but it's useful for the deaf and will only get better.

A bit of honesty: I really dislike 95% of gaming podcasts or videos. My pet peeve is the Top 40 deejay voice that so many of these guys seem to think they need to adopt. (I was college radio deejay for years, so I know a little about it.)

Segway…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 13:35 (3963 days ago) @ Kermit

A bit of honesty: I really dislike 95% of gaming podcasts or videos. My pet peeve is the Top 40 deejay voice that so many of these guys seem to think they need to adopt. (I was college radio deejay for years, so I know a little about it.)

Then listen to Rampancy podcasts! None of us have radio voices! :-p

Segway…

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 14:29 (3962 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Then listen to Rampancy podcasts! None of us have radio voices! :-p

I do! And I enjoy them quite a bit, as I've told narc many times.

hate hate hate non-text/image article content

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 03:19 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Can't process audio/video at your own speed, whether faster or slower. And often times videos are just talking about stills of other videos, it becomes ridiculous.

There are very few things where I can appreciate video content, pretty much any Bungie video as well as a lot of the work Rev3 does, especially DNews, can't get enough of it.

Segway…

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 05:21 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

They are great for when I'm at work and want to chill during lunch, but not look like I'm slacking off.

Segway…

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 13:43 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I can't friggin' stand most videos and podcats. Prefer to read, but that's probably cause I'm a self-absorbed shmoe that loves the sound of his own voice in his own head.

Segway…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 14:13 (3963 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I can't friggin' stand most videos and podcats.

Yeah, podcats are the worst.
[image]

:) (it's often mostly useless, but every once in a while Google Image Search has precisely what you're looking for)

Segway…

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 14:26 (3962 days ago) @ Beorn

Hahaha.

Usually, typos drive me mad. In this case, WORTH IT.

You're not alone (clearly)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 14:24 (3962 days ago) @ Ragashingo

What annoys me the most, though, are video tutorials to features in CAE programs...
Or long, forced, playable tutorials about the game-story in games...

Those two are definitely the worst.

It's spelt 'segue' btw...

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 03:14 (3962 days ago) @ Ragashingo

'Segway' is a brand.

Text has certain advantages and that's why it's not going away anytime soon. But people are most adapted to seeing/hearing other people talk and it's become much easier to make in recent years so *shrugs*

My trap is sprung!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 09:10 (3962 days ago) @ RC

'Segway' is a brand.

A brand that sometimes gets driven off of a cliff into a river by its owner.

Text has certain advantages and that's why it's not going away anytime soon. But people are most adapted to seeing/hearing other people talk and it's become much easier to make in recent years so *shrugs*

Perhaps it's like Remy says:

Well, yeah, anyone *can*, that doesn't mean that anyone *should*.

It's spelt 'segue' btw...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 12:06 (3962 days ago) @ RC

Interviews, or anything else where what's said is important are pretty much always better to just read…

Videos are for where the visual is important.

I demand Hooters Ads on DBO

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 11:09 (3963 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You know you want them too!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 11:53 (3963 days ago) @ Captain Spark

You know you want them too!

[image]

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 16:09 (3962 days ago) @ Claude Errera

"how many licks does it take..." is usually how I start a conversation in a Hooters anyway, so props Claude.

Ask and I shall receive :)

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 17:24 (3962 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread