Bungie wants to build more content, faster (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 02:57 (2866 days ago)

Bungie wants to build more content, faster

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 05:22 (2866 days ago) @ Claude Errera

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-22-bungie-were-trying-to-build-destiny-content-quicker

Interesting read!

Disappointed to hear they are not ditching infusion.

As for content, it's not really the amount that's most important but the quality. If they start churning out lots of content in little chunks that's going to be really bad. But if we can get semi large expansions twice a year and TTK type releases every year, then that would be phenomenal.

by petetheduck, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 08:47 (2865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-22-bungie-were-trying-to-build-destiny-content-quicker

Interesting read!

As for content, it's not really the amount that's most important but the quality. If they start churning out lots of content in little chunks that's going to be really bad. But if we can get semi large expansions twice a year and TTK type releases every year, then that would be phenomenal.

Custom games and Forge would go a long way here..

Agreed.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 12:11 (2865 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by breitzen, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 12:16

I would pour hours into making custom maps for sparrow racing!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 12:31 (2865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Interesting read!

I LIKE infusion. What's your beef with it? I forget.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 13:11 (2865 days ago) @ Kermit

I have a beef with the current system. I have to spend an exotic shard to infuse an exotic, even if I am using another exotic as the infusion piece. I've burned through the shards I had, so I have to go to the exotic weapon kiosk and buy, upgrade with motes, and then dismantle every time I want to infuse an exotic.

Exotic into exotic should not require a shard. Exotic into legendary should give me a shard. The only time I should have to spend a shard is legendary into exotic. To me that makes sense within the Destiny universe, and it saves me from shard farming at the kiosk.

+1, infusion and exotic shards are at odds with each other

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 13:23 (2865 days ago) @ bluerunner

This is brought on by exotics primarily coming from 3 of coins. Almost always I want to infuse rather than shard my exotics, meaning I don't have a source of exotic shards coming in.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:10 (2865 days ago) @ slycrel

This is brought on by exotics primarily coming from 3 of coins. Almost always I want to infuse rather than shard my exotics, meaning I don't have a source of exotic shards coming in.

This is... odd to me. I play a lot, though, so I'm burning through 60-80 three of coins per week, and taking home 5-15 exotics (all 334 or 335) at this point, and I've got well over 40 shards stashed away right now.

My strategy has been the following:

For most game modes, the light level of your exotic really doesn't matter. I guess if you raid a lot you'd want a 335 black spindle, 335 touch of malice, maybe a 335 sleeper simulant, and a 335 something else you like to use as a primary weapon for fights where you don't need those other guns? In PvP it literally doesn't matter outside of trials and iron banana, but in those the only exotic that is really worth anything is MIDA. Every other slot is outclassed by good roll legendaries.

So that's 5 exotics that I could view as "important" (or 4 if you use MIDA as your raid primary too). Anything else will drop again for me at a higher light level if I keep using 3 of coins, so I just shard it when the higher light version drops.

I've been stockpiling shards unintentionally for months now, and have well over 40 shards, almost every exotic (I just got Fabian Strategy and Telesto last night, so I'm now missing only the fire and void swords), and most of those are at 335.

I recommend doing it this way if you want to build a stash of shards.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:32 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

In PvP it literally doesn't matter outside of trials and iron banana, but in those the only exotic that is really worth anything is MIDA. Every other slot is outclassed by good roll legendaries.

Year 1, I was all about Rocket Launchers. Quillim's converted me to a Machine Gun diehard... but there's still one place where Rockets are useful, and that's Elimination. (I don't play Trials, but it's true there, for the same reasons.)

And NOTHING outclasses Truth as a rocket launcher. NOTHING. (Dragon's Breath comes close, now... but dat tracking on Truth...)

Just wanted to point out an Exotic you missed. :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:34 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And NOTHING outclasses Truth as a rocket launcher. NOTHING. (Dragon's Breath comes close, now... but dat tracking on Truth...)

+Taikonaut

I'll find a hidey-hole & switch in my taikonaut when running rockets & heavy drops just to use RL's other than Truth.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:43 (2865 days ago) @ dogcow

+Taikonaut

I'll find a hidey-hole & switch in my taikonaut when running rockets & heavy drops just to use RL's other than Truth.

I've been meaning (for months) to experiment with Taikonaut, to see how good the added tracking is. I guess I've always assumed it's equivalent to the tracking on most Legendaries (which is fine, if you've got time to lock on and there are no sharp angles to be navigated). If it adds Truth-level tracking, I've been wasting my exotic slot on Heavy rounds. :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:51 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

+Taikonaut

I've been meaning (for months) to experiment with Taikonaut, to see how good the added tracking is. I guess I've always assumed it's equivalent to the tracking on most Legendaries (which is fine, if you've got time to lock on and there are no sharp angles to be navigated). If it adds Truth-level tracking, I've been wasting my exotic slot on Heavy rounds. :)

I don't think it's truth level tracking, but I can't say for sure. I'll try & remember to try it out sometime.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:39 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

In PvP it literally doesn't matter outside of trials and iron banana, but in those the only exotic that is really worth anything is MIDA. Every other slot is outclassed by good roll legendaries.

Year 1, I was all about Rocket Launchers. Quillim's converted me to a Machine Gun diehard... but there's still one place where Rockets are useful, and that's Elimination. (I don't play Trials, but it's true there, for the same reasons.)

I believe Tormod's Bellows to be a superior rocket to Truth, actually. 3 rounds, similar blast radius, double the velocity.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:41 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I believe Tormod's Bellows to be a superior rocket to Truth, actually. 3 rounds, similar blast radius, double the velocity.

I've escaped Tormod's Bellows shots, through lucky dodging/jumping. As far as I know, I've never escaped a Truth rocket.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:46 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've escaped Tormod's Bellows shots, through lucky dodging/jumping. As far as I know, I've never escaped a Truth rocket.

In my experience, too fast and the rocket can't track as well. Got my Truth spec'd as slow as she'll go.

Truth 4eva

^ This ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:51 (2865 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

In my experience, too fast and the rocket can't track as well. Got my Truth spec'd as slow as she'll go.

Truth 4eva

High velocity on a tracking rocket is actually a bad thing, IMO. The slower the rocket is moving, the more time it has to adjust its trajectory and follow the target.

^ This ^

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 17:42 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Truth 4eva

High velocity on a tracking rocket is actually a bad thing, IMO. The slower the rocket is moving, the more time it has to adjust its trajectory and follow the target.

I'm so confused. Any time a rocket is tracking me it hits a wall because I almost never move through open space. The number of times I've been killed by a tracking rocket in the last year is probably 0. I've been killed by truth a few times, but always from a free-fire that caught me in the blast radius, never a track that followed me.

Is tracking seriously a thing you guys use? I find it mostly worthless. G&H and good aim will land a kill with every rocket, provided it moves quickly enough.

^ This ^

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 17:52 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Truth 4eva

I'm so confused. Any time a rocket is tracking me it hits a wall because I almost never move through open space. The number of times I've been killed by a tracking rocket in the last year is probably 0. I've been killed by truth a few times, but always from a free-fire that caught me in the blast radius, never a track that followed me.

Is tracking seriously a thing you guys use? I find it mostly worthless. G&H and good aim will land a kill with every rocket, provided it moves quickly enough.

Again - different playstyles. I get MOST kills against people moving through open space, so I'm not playing against people like you.

Since Y2 started, Tracking (with the exception of Truth) became much less useful than G&H, because it 1) required more time for lock-on (which you almost never have), and 2) wasn't aggressive enough to counter fast movement. Like I said earlier, I really only use rockets during Elminiation gametypes, which I don't play that often, so my dataset is smaller than I'd like... but Truth's tracking is still amazingly good.

^ This ^

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 17:59 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Truth 4eva

Again - different playstyles. I get MOST kills against people moving through open space, so I'm not playing against people like you.

Since Y2 started, Tracking (with the exception of Truth) became much less useful than G&H, because it 1) required more time for lock-on (which you almost never have), and 2) wasn't aggressive enough to counter fast movement. Like I said earlier, I really only use rockets during Eliminiation gametypes, which I don't play that often, so my dataset is smaller than I'd like... but Truth's tracking is still amazingly good.

I'm not disputing the quality of Truth's tracking, but I am disputing the efficacy of tracking in general.

Man, I really want to play Destiny on Xbox. I have a feeling that the communities play in completely different ways. Actually, the one time I watched an xbox streamer, he was using very different sniper lanes than I've ever used or seen on PS4, and wasn't watching the spots I know are favorites for my enemies. It was really weird. I wonder how different the Xbox and PS heatmaps are for the pvp levels?

That's a very interesting observation

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:02 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I remember Asylum had a few spots PS people used a lot for a very long time that started to creep into XBL just before it was put out of the 6v6 rotation.

Maybe Halo conditioned the community at large in a different way.

^ This ^

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:31 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm not disputing the quality of Truth's tracking, but I am disputing the efficacy of tracking in general.

Tracking has a tendency to backfire: if an enemy runs behind a pillar, the rocket will track and hit the pillar instead of hitting beside the pillar and killing them with the blast radius. My personal opinion is that Grenades and Horseshoes > Tracking.

Except for Truth since the tracking is not only much more aggressive, but it has grenades and horseshoes as well.

^ This ^

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:31 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Man, I really want to play Destiny on Xbox. I have a feeling that the communities play in completely different ways.

Playstation consoles are so good at missile guidance that Bungie had to deliberately nerf the functionality on those platforms, and overcompensated.

^ This ^

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:32 (2865 days ago) @ uberfoop

Man, I really want to play Destiny on Xbox. I have a feeling that the communities play in completely different ways.

Playstation consoles are so good at missile guidance that Bungie had to deliberately nerf the functionality on those platforms, and overcompensated.

Hahahahaha. Oh man I hope that's true.

Remember when you couldn't bring a PS1 to Iraq because it could be used to make missile guidance systems?

What??

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, June 24, 2016, 00:00 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Source?

"source" in air quotes

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 24, 2016, 01:06 (2865 days ago) @ marmot 1333

http://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-intelligence-dismisses-ps2-missile-fears/

It sorta sounds like an article from The Onion.

^ This ^

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 21:03 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

XBO has a noticeably more competitive shooter community. PS4 has a much more social one. My experience is XBO is higher quality/more exciting PvP, and PS4 is more conscious blueberries for PvE content.

So what you're saying is...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 23, 2016, 21:13 (2865 days ago) @ Harmanimus

XBL has both pros and casuals, while PS4 only has pros, because the casuals are more worried about social stuff?

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 21:26 (2865 days ago) @ ZackDark

Xbox is PvP weighted. PS is much more PvE weighted, in the general quality of player base. Blueberries aren't any good on either system, but it's much easier to jump solo and play pubs on PS than Xbox, because the latter tends to have folks who put up a better fight.

Also, less related to quality of play: PS tends to have a friendlier player base as well. More willing to help out in public activities.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:47 (2865 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Xbox is PvP weighted. PS is much more PvE weighted, in the general quality of player base. Blueberries aren't any good on either system, but it's much easier to jump solo and play pubs on PS than Xbox, because the latter tends to have folks who put up a better fight.

Also, less related to quality of play: PS tends to have a friendlier player base as well. More willing to help out in public activities.

If what you're saying is true, then I'm even worse at Destiny PvP than I thought. I can't even crack a 1.0 K/D and have only a 48% winrate on PS4. I cannot imagine the skill levels of the more serious pvp players on Xbox if these PS4 chuckleheads can take me to town with regularity like this.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 24, 2016, 04:30 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I have clocked 4.67 days of crucible on Xbox and 3.34 days on PS4 per Destiny Tracker. I have a 0.23 higher k/d on PS4 (1.4 to 1.63). Albeit my win ratio on Xbox is 2% higher (56 to 54). Those numbers have been pretty consistent over the life of Destiny for me.

I've had a few other people tell me they have had similar experiences, and the other circles I float in tend to support it, too. But I'll take PS4 blueberries in strike playlists over Xbone blueberries any day.

What the hell is a blueberry?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, June 24, 2016, 10:51 (2864 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, June 24, 2016, 11:59 (2864 days ago) @ kidtsunami

[image]

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, June 24, 2016, 12:09 (2864 days ago) @ kidtsunami

"Blueberries" are the random players you are matched up with in Destiny's matchmaking. The term stems from the fact that their gamertags above their heads are blue (as opposed to green for a player that is in your actual fireteam, or red for a player on the opposing side).

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 24, 2016, 17:55 (2864 days ago) @ Speedracer513

They are also blue dots in your motion tracker.

This is the correct answer.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 24, 2016, 18:01 (2864 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 24, 2016, 14:51 (2864 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I have clocked 4.67 days of crucible on Xbox and 3.34 days on PS4 per Destiny Tracker. I have a 0.23 higher k/d on PS4 (1.4 to 1.63). Albeit my win ratio on Xbox is 2% higher (56 to 54). Those numbers have been pretty consistent over the life of Destiny for me.

I've had a few other people tell me they have had similar experiences, and the other circles I float in tend to support it, too. But I'll take PS4 blueberries in strike playlists over Xbone blueberries any day.

This is really interesting! I'm in around 9.5 days on PS4 and my games are sweaty as hell. Dang it, I used to be a good player. What happened???

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, June 24, 2016, 11:42 (2864 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If what you're saying is true, then I'm even worse at Destiny PvP than I thought. I can't even crack a 1.0 K/D and have only a 48% winrate on PS4. I cannot imagine the skill levels of the more serious pvp players on Xbox if these PS4 chuckleheads can take me to town with regularity like this.

I wouldn't put money on the idea that the Xbox player base is more competitive than the PS4 player base. Aside from the fact that there are 3 times as many PS4 consoles on the market, skill-based-matchmaking makes it impossible to accurately judge the average skill level of the player base on any platform.

^ This ^

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:27 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Since Y2 started, Tracking (with the exception of Truth) became much less useful than G&H, because it 1) required more time for lock-on (which you almost never have), and 2) wasn't aggressive enough to counter fast movement. Like I said earlier, I really only use rockets during Elminiation gametypes, which I don't play that often, so my dataset is smaller than I'd like... but Truth's tracking is still amazingly good.

This is why I prefer to Max the velocity. The tracking will backfire less, and the grenades and horseshoes will get the kill.

Truth really is the best PvP rocket launcher hands down.

^ This ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:29 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Truth 4eva

What makes Truth so fantastic is the fact that you can rely on Tracking or proximity & blast radius depending on the situation you are in.

Is tracking seriously a thing you guys use?

ooooh yes :)

https://twitter.com/NevinDouglas/status/709643693641359360

The trick with tracking is that a lot of people don't know how to use it to its full potential. Most players aim the launcher straight at the target, get the lock, then fire. Sometimes this works just fine. The problem is if your target is very quickly moving from side to side or up and down, there's a decent chance that your rocket won't track aggressively enough or your target will make it behind cover... either way, you miss.

What I do is use tracking rockets like curve balls. Lets say my target is running "left" on my screen, towards cover. I'll aim at them, get a lock, then swing my aim "right" just before I pull the trigger. This sends my rocket on a curved trajectory, allowing it to follow my target around the corner and hit them even after they're behind cover. This works great on large outdoor areas where the terrain itself gets in the way. Lock on a target in the distance, then swing your aim "up" and fire, sending the rocket up over any obstacles and back down onto your target from above.

Here's a great example:

^ This ^

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:35 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Truth 4eva

What makes Truth so fantastic is the fact that you can rely on Tracking or proximity & blast radius depending on the situation you are in.

Is tracking seriously a thing you guys use?

ooooh yes :)

https://twitter.com/NevinDouglas/status/709643693641359360

The trick with tracking is that a lot of people don't know how to use it to its full potential. Most players aim the launcher straight at the target, get the lock, then fire. Sometimes this works just fine. The problem is if your target is very quickly moving from side to side or up and down, there's a decent chance that your rocket won't track aggressively enough or your target will make it behind cover... either way, you miss.

What I do is use tracking rockets like curve balls. Lets say my target is running "left" on my screen, towards cover. I'll aim at them, get a lock, then swing my aim "right" just before I pull the trigger. This sends my rocket on a curved trajectory, allowing it to follow my target around the corner and hit them even after they're behind cover. This works great on large outdoor areas where the terrain itself gets in the way. Lock on a target in the distance, then swing your aim "up" and fire, sending the rocket up over any obstacles and back down onto your target from above.

Here's a great example:

That's impressive as hell, and is literally a thing I've never seen once before in crucible. I may have to try out the old Truth on some outdoorsy maps now.

^ This ^

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:36 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That's impressive as hell, and is literally a thing I've never seen once before in crucible. I may have to try out the old Truth on some outdoorsy maps now.

This is because while cool, it doesn't come into play that much in actual situations.

^ This ^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:49 (2865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is because while cool, it doesn't come into play that much in actual situations.

It depends on the map. It's certainly very situational, but it's a very worthwhile trick to have up your sleeve :)

I used to do "this" a lot back when I didn't use Bad Juju

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 23, 2016, 19:33 (2865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Except I'd just do straight up for long range or slightly to the sides mid-range. Nothing that aggressive and probably stuff I would be able to pull off with any tracking+GnH rockets.

EDIT: like breitzen's post.

^ This ^

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:40 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The other great thing about this is people are a lot less likely to dodge since they see a rocket go wild and assume you missed.

Yep. Truth is great! *VID*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 19:00 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

^ This man gets it :D

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 19:02 (2865 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 14:09 (2865 days ago) @ bluerunner

I have a beef with the current system. I have to spend an exotic shard to infuse an exotic, even if I am using another exotic as the infusion piece. I've burned through the shards I had, so I have to go to the exotic weapon kiosk and buy, upgrade with motes, and then dismantle every time I want to infuse an exotic.

Exotic into exotic should not require a shard. Exotic into legendary should give me a shard. The only time I should have to spend a shard is legendary into exotic. To me that makes sense within the Destiny universe, and it saves me from shard farming at the kiosk.

I think that's a legitimate complaint. In general, though, I really like the infusion system. It gives you a way to keep things you like and still level up.

This is why I preferred Etheric Light.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:32 (2865 days ago) @ Kermit

Infusion is cool, but wouldn't be necessary if Exotic/Raid level drops were at max attack/defense values.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:55 (2865 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Infusion is cool, but wouldn't be necessary if Exotic/Raid level drops were at max attack/defense values.

I despised etheric light. Rarely got any of it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:56 (2865 days ago) @ Kermit

I think HoW should have included more ways to get Etheric Light, but I think the concept and the way it functioned as a reward/consumable item were both great.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:00 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think HoW should have included more ways to get Etheric Light, but I think the concept and the way it functioned as a reward/consumable item were both great.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Trials players were awash with it. Other players not so much.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:10 (2865 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Trials players were awash with it. Other players not so much.

A trip to the lighthouse would net 3 Etheric light... given it was a fair bit easier to get to the lighthouse back then, I would usually get 3-6 pieces each week from Trials alone. Then there were the potential 6 you could get from PoE every week, although Skolas was such a nightmare that I rarely bothered with that myself. Another 6 pieces every Iron Banner, and the occasional drop from the nightfalls. I still have a dozen or so pieces of Etheric Light in my vault, and I probably used close to 70 pieces infusing all my year 1 guns and armor up to the max level.

So yes, Trials made a huge difference. Between that and Iron Banner, Etheric Light was far more available to the hardcore PvP players than anyone else, which is a shame.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:17 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

A trip to the lighthouse would net 3 Etheric light... given it was a fair bit easier to get to the lighthouse back then, I would usually get 3-6 pieces each week from Trials alone. Then there were the potential 6 you could get from PoE every week, although Skolas was such a nightmare that I rarely bothered with that myself. Another 6 pieces every Iron Banner, and the occasional drop from the nightfalls. I still have a dozen or so pieces of Etheric Light in my vault, and I probably used close to 70 pieces infusing all my year 1 guns and armor up to the max level.

So yes, Trials made a huge difference. Between that and Iron Banner, Etheric Light was far more available to the hardcore PvP players than anyone else, which is a shame.

Back then didn't play much Iron Banner either. I beat Skolas twice--once per platform. You can see how I lacked etheric light. I got it so rarely that when I did get it, I was paralyzed trying to decide what to spend it on.

I think Kahzgul's approach goes a long way towards solving the exotic shards problem now.

Pretty much.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:04 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yeah, the way they distributed it could have been better but I enjoyed the mechanic much more than the current system.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:55 (2865 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Totally agree. I don't have any big problems with the way infusion currently functions, I just wish there was no need for it to exist in the first place. Hearing Bungie say that Rise of Iron will include a significant light level increase is actually a drawback in my mind, not something to be excited about :-/

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:39 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Totally agree. I don't have any big problems with the way infusion currently functions, I just wish there was no need for it to exist in the first place. Hearing Bungie say that Rise of Iron will include a significant light level increase is actually a drawback in my mind, not something to be excited about :-/

I agree. My Titan is spec'd to perfection, but I also realize it's a house of cards in a Bungie maelstrom of doom. ;)

Yeah, I can't play what I want because I'm underleveled

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 20:28 (2865 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

I quite like Infusion as-is, but I'd love a glamour system

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:15 (2865 days ago) @ Kermit

My Ma'auls Maulers are pants. My Crucible Gauntlets are near-perfect. I'd love to strip my useless roll from my Mailers and shove my good stats from another item in in their place.

The article barely touched on the most important bit

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:30 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

"Bungie stated they've been working on improving their tools so they can make more content faster" (paraphrased).

That's the key. The entire game is built on the core of having functional tools. At my old studio if I couldn't compile in under 2 hours or a designer couldn't load a map in minutes, the programming team would have shifted en masse to fixing the tools. Hearing that their map loads took 24+ hours blew my mind. You guys know that floating chest in the room in the scablands that's been there since vanilla and never been fixed? It's not gonna be fixed because it will cost them two days of designer time just to change its coordinate position down 1 meter. This is the sort of fix I could have done at my desk with a text editor (okay I used excel most of the time) without even bothering anyone else (to be fair, I would have confirmed the bug with the designer first, but I didn't *need* to in order to make the fix). But the way the Destiny tools were set up was ungainly in the extreme.

So now they've got faster tools. That's YUUUUUGE. Seriously it will allow for tiny fixes to be made instantly, large changes to be experimented with quickly, and lots (LOTS) more content to be made overall. It's such a fundamental thing for game development to have really solid tools, and hearing that Bungie reinvested in making their backend better is very encouraging.

Honestly, I feel like for as off track as Bungie was when Destiny launched, they've been really doing a great job with TTK and beyond. While I with TRL was back already, I'm super pleased with all of the news I've been hearing out of Bungie HQ lately. It really seems like they have making a great game back on their minds rather than making a game that feeds off of addictive loops and exists purely to get us to throw our money at the screen.

What happened?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:48 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Didn't they do a ViDoc before Destiny launched about how great Grognok was?

There was a whole GDC presentation

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:49 (2865 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by CyberKN, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:54

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017834/Powering-up-Destiny-s-Level

edit: that presentation doesn't contain the video I was thinking of. Here it is:

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:55 (2865 days ago) @ CyberKN

That's about the visibility system, and while it's certainly related to level editing, it's not talking about their level editing chain as a whole and the rumored challenges around iteration times. AFAIK Bungie's never directly acknowledged them.

Sorry, updated the post with the video I was thinking of.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 16:57 (2865 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 17:08 (2865 days ago) @ CyberKN

edit: that presentation doesn't contain the video I was thinking of. Here it is:

Maybe that's what I was thinking of. It's been too long for me to remember clearly.

What happened?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 17:56 (2865 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Well and it is for most things. They had a few goals they were trying to achieve with their tools that they talk about in the GDC presentation, and the one they admit they failed on (pretty badly) was being able to make changes quickly. The tool itself is still awesome because it lets you design very quickly and fluidly, and I'm sure they thought with the original idea they had about content in the game it wouldn't become TOO big of a hindrance. I'm sure they weren't happy with it, but they thought it was workable. Then on the first weekend there was pretty universal hatred for the first event they released, and then demands for actual new content after that came much more quickly and insistently than they expected.

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:04 (2865 days ago) @ Xenos

Well and it is for most things. They had a few goals they were trying to achieve with their tools that they talk about in the GDC presentation, and the one they admit they failed on (pretty badly) was being able to make changes quickly. The tool itself is still awesome because it lets you design very quickly and fluidly, and I'm sure they thought with the original idea they had about content in the game it wouldn't become TOO big of a hindrance. I'm sure they weren't happy with it, but they thought it was workable. Then on the first weekend there was pretty universal hatred for the first event they released, and then demands for actual new content after that came much more quickly and insistently than they expected.

This is a great point. They hadn't built a game with dynamic, live events before, and they weren't prepared to actually design, implement, test, fix, test, and publish new content at the rate in which they really should have been. Furthermore Bungie has never made a "bring your own guns" pvp shooter, and they had not thought about how to respond to balance issues nimbly.

Events like Crimson Doubles were probably a CRAPLOAD of work for Bungie because of how crappy their tools were set up, even though to the rest of us it just looked like a reskin of the tower. But I bet that was a month of work for for the live team for basically no payoff in terms of actual new content.

All of this ties in to why SRL was so amazing (not just amazingly fun, but amazing in the sense that they were even able to implement it to begin with) and why I'm so disappointed that it hasn't come back.

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 17:56 (2865 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There's no question that it's a very powerful level editor with lots of options. But the Kotaku article (from... a year ago?) stated that it took 24 hours to open a single map, regardless of the change being made. That's crazy talk and I'm really shocked it was allowed. Almost every detail I've heard about how vanilla Destiny was set up, designed, and worked on made my brain hurt. The entire workflow of the company back then seemed to be a list of "never do these things" taken from the wall of my old studios. I'm almost surprised Destiny didn't ship as an FMV game. And listen, I worked in test for 13 years. I'm no veteran designer. But I could easily tell that there were really bad mistakes being made on the back end. If I was Cody, I'd have saved a bookmark of my prophetic statements to that effect, but I don't actually care that much. The point is that a tool can be powerful but if it's not easy to use, it doesn't matter.

I'll relate this to my real life:

I'm a TV editor. I work on Avid. Avid is a piece of flaming garbage wrapped around the dying husk of a giant cockroach, but it's the only game in town (if any of you are programmers and want to get together to make a new video editing suite that actually does stuff, let me know - I'm SO down and the time is right for a new player). There are people, Assistant Editors, who are paid thousands of dollars to do things that a computer should be able to do in seconds. Why? Because Avid sucks and doesn't take advantage of the fact that it's a computer. My job, for many years, was to "group" footage, which boils down to pressing six buttons, in order, ad nauseum. I'm not making this up. You would bind keys 1-6 to the specific commands you wanted done, and then you would just sit there, all night long, for months, pressing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 over and over and over. Then someone came up with keypress macro software and my life became "Press 1. Tell the computer 5000 cycles. Watch TV for four hours." This is a real job that people still do and earn $1200/week as a starting wage, all because the software we have to use is bullshit (most AEs do more than just group, but being able to press those 6 buttons is the cornerstone of the job). Multiply this by the hundreds of TV shows that have to do this, and you can see how wasteful shitty workflow is.

Unlike the relative cottage industry of TV, video games actually don't have margins wide enough to be able to deliver quality goods while absorbing extra costs due to shitty workflow, so when the workflow sucks, the game suffers.

What happened?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:21 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The point is that a tool can be powerful but if it's not easy to use, it doesn't matter.

I guess that's my point, or where my "What happened?" came from. It seems like the problems with loading in levels should have been apparent from near the beginning. I mean, I obviously don't actually know how building something like Grognok works, but it seems shitty (and stupid) if this was just problem they didn't realize until way too late in development.

This is a real job that people still do and earn $1200/week as a starting wage,

Seems like a fair wage to me. That sounds awful and boring.

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 18:31 (2865 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The point is that a tool can be powerful but if it's not easy to use, it doesn't matter.

I guess that's my point, or where my "What happened?" came from. It seems like the problems with loading in levels should have been apparent from near the beginning. I mean, I obviously don't actually know how building something like Grognok works, but it seems shitty (and stupid) if this was just problem they didn't realize until way too late in development.

It's strange to me as well. I feel like they should have known immediately that they were designing something with painfully long load times, and the managers should have been able to foresee that these load times were going to cripple their ability to make changes down the line.

This is a real job that people still do and earn $1200/week as a starting wage,

Seems like a fair wage to me. That sounds awful and boring.

Accurate on all counts, but it's also a job that shouldn't be necessary and could be eliminated with a few lines of code.

What happened?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 22:34 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Almost every detail I've heard about how vanilla Destiny was set up, designed, and worked on made my brain hurt. The entire workflow of the company back then seemed to be a list of "never do these things" taken from the wall of my old studios. I'm almost surprised Destiny didn't ship as an FMV game. And listen, I worked in test for 13 years. I'm no veteran designer. But I could easily tell that there were really bad mistakes being made on the back end

I have grown to respect you and your opinion over the years, and appreciate your history in the business.
I hate that rumor and conjecture, even if it has been somewhat substantiated?, has become fact over the years. Makes me pretty sad, really, since none of us were actually there.
I don't know how it was set up, designed, and worked on and I don't know how the workflow was. Nor how anything has changed the game...

Oh to be a fly on the wall

Nonetheless, I know what you are saying

I'll relate this to my real life:

I'm a TV editor. I work on Avid. Avid is a piece of flaming garbage wrapped around the dying husk of a giant cockroach, but it's the only game in town (if any of you are programmers and want to get together to make a new video editing suite that actually does stuff, let me know - I'm SO down and the time is right for a new player). There are people, Assistant Editors, who are paid thousands of dollars to do things that a computer should be able to do in seconds. Why? Because Avid sucks and doesn't take advantage of the fact that it's a computer. My job, for many years, was to "group" footage, which boils down to pressing six buttons, in order, ad nauseum. I'm not making this up. You would bind keys 1-6 to the specific commands you wanted done, and then you would just sit there, all night long, for months, pressing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 over and over and over. Then someone came up with keypress macro software and my life became "Press 1. Tell the computer 5000 cycles. Watch TV for four hours." This is a real job that people still do and earn $1200/week as a starting wage

How can I get this job? I have a (lite) background in AV and have always dreamed about getting involved with TV. My second part time job is doing night and weekend AV jobs and gigs, as well as volunteer gigs. Just lost my day job today so I'm actively thinking about exploring options

What happened?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:44 (2865 days ago) @ Pyromancy

How can I get this job? I have a (lite) background in AV and have always dreamed about getting involved with TV. My second part time job is doing night and weekend AV jobs and gigs, as well as volunteer gigs. Just lost my day job today so I'm actively thinking about exploring options

1. Move to a big city. NY, LA, Chicago, etc.
2. Apply for every job you can until you get one.
3. Keep your connections, and move up together.

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:51 (2865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. Move to a big city. NY, LA, Chicago, etc.
2. Apply for every job you can until you get one.
3. Keep your connections, and move up together.

This is pretty accurate. For reality TV (where I work) the career path is:

Production Assistant (PA) --> Vault Manager --> Assistant Editor --> Lead AE (skip if possible) --> Editor --> Finishing Editor

The pay grades kinda suck in the early stages, so it grows from like $800/week as a PA to 1k/week as vault manager, 1200/week as AE, 1500ish/week as Lead, and then Editors make anywhere from 2500 (junior editors) to 4k (20+ years of experience). Finishing editors can make as much as 8k/week but those guys are both insanely good and hustle for work like crazy.

The career also can have a lot of downtime between gigs. I've been really fortunate in this regard, but I know many talented people who spend months between gigs.

Cody works in film (right?) and I really have no idea how that career path goes. I know that AEs in film actually work on the edit from time to time, whereas in reality TV they strictly do technical work.

What happened?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 24, 2016, 00:48 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, June 24, 2016, 00:54

Cody works in film (right?) and I really have no idea how that career path goes. I know that AEs in film actually work on the edit from time to time, whereas in reality TV they strictly do technical work.

Assistants in film are more along the lines of collaborators. They are expected to know the footage really well and contribute. So an editor might ask them to pull up a reaction shot where character does X, and they will get it and cut it in. They generally make simple trims or alterations. They are an extra pair of eyes to watch the cut and put out ideas.

At least that is how I treat mine.

Pay is also much better in film, and schedules more relaxed.

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 24, 2016, 14:55 (2864 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Assistants in film are more along the lines of collaborators. They are expected to know the footage really well and contribute. So an editor might ask them to pull up a reaction shot where character does X, and they will get it and cut it in. They generally make simple trims or alterations. They are an extra pair of eyes to watch the cut and put out ideas.

I had a day where all I did was establish 6 hours of continuous surveillance footage of a girl who visited the main cast in order to ensure she actually gave a BJ to one of the cast members so we could make that claim on air. Then I got to show that footage to the EP, and then again to the legal department. The only time I ever touched a cut was when the producers foolishly let all of their editors go before online had taken a crack at the cut, so I got to pick all of the replacement shots where it was out of focus or there was lip flap form a bad cheat.

At least that is how I treat mine.

You seem like a good boss as far as editors go.

Pay is also much better in film, and schedules more relaxed.

sign me up!

Actually not right now though, because my current TV show is fucking awesome. I can't say enough good things about year-round employment and lax schedules.

What happened?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 24, 2016, 16:10 (2864 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I can't say enough good things about year-round employment and lax schedules.

Year round employment sucks. I'd rather make enough in six months to take six months off. Working half the year rocks.

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 24, 2016, 16:45 (2864 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can't say enough good things about year-round employment and lax schedules.

Year round employment sucks. I'd rather make enough in six months to take six months off. Working half the year rocks.

Okay, I can't argue with that. Though I know that if I was being paid double and my gig only lasted 6 months, I'd still look for work. I'm just one of those guys. If I'm not working I feel useless.

What happened?

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 19:16 (2859 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I had a day where all I did was establish 6 hours of continuous surveillance footage of a girl who visited the main cast in order to ensure she actually gave a BJ to one of the cast members so we could make that claim on air. Then I got to show that footage to the EP, and then again to the legal department. The only time I ever touched a cut was when the producers foolishly let all of their editors go before online had taken a crack at the cut, so I got to pick all of the replacement shots where it was out of focus or there was lip flap form a bad cheat.

I feel like there is a story here

What happened?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:39 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Avid doesn't make it easy because professionals are supposed to shoot properly. Maybe it's different in TV but when I was an assistant on features, timecode was jam synced into audio and video. So it was as easy as selecting everything in the bin and hitting autosync by timecode.

Avid was primarily designed for feature and scripted work. So naturally it's just not going to handle multi cam reality or whatever where nobody jams timecode. Sometimes simple things are hard in advanced tools because it's assumed you won't really have to do them.

FYI premiere can group clips automatically by analyzing matching audio.

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:55 (2865 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Avid doesn't make it easy because professionals are supposed to shoot properly. Maybe it's different in TV but when I was an assistant on features, timecode was jam synced into audio and video. So it was as easy as selecting everything in the bin and hitting autosync by timecode.

Yeah. I talked with an avid tech once who told me the original multigrouping was actually an exploit in a bug someone found in their live sports code.

Reality TV crews are the worst. They constantly forget to jam sync, shoot on a bunch of different formats, shoot miniDV cams in record-run format with 120 clip breaks in an hour... it's really a pain to sync when your crew blows it, which most do.

Avid was primarily designed for feature and scripted work. So naturally it's just not going to handle multi cam reality or whatever where nobody jams timecode. Sometimes simple things are hard in advanced tools because it's assumed you won't really have to do them.

Yeah, and reality TV companies can't afford (or aren't willing) to pay avid to develop better multicam tools, and avid refuses to develop the tools without being paid to.

FYI premiere can group clips automatically by analyzing matching audio.

I've heard the sync is good but multicam and multi-user environment still lack. I don't know, I've got minimal premiere experience. I'd love to learn, though - it seems like we'll all be over there soon enough.

I never thought about any of this. This is fascinating.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 24, 2016, 02:02 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Thanks. I can talk about it all day if you're interested

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 24, 2016, 14:59 (2864 days ago) @ ZackDark

I think about this quite often. Possibly too much.

What happened?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 24, 2016, 02:13 (2865 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've heard the sync is good but multicam and multi-user environment still lack. I don't know, I've got minimal premiere experience. I'd love to learn, though - it seems like we'll all be over there soon enough.

It rocks, and you can mutlicam anything regardless of frame size or frame rate or codec, but you cannot output all the cameras to a preview monitor - just the active camera. You can only see all the cameras in the source / viewer window. Ultra stupid!

What happened?

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 24, 2016, 14:57 (2864 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It rocks, and you can mutlicam anything regardless of frame size or frame rate or codec, but you cannot output all the cameras to a preview monitor - just the active camera. You can only see all the cameras in the source / viewer window. Ultra stupid!

They'll get there eventually, I'm sure. You probably already know this, but they've got a deal with Avid to develop multi-user storage via the ISIS framework, which sounds an awful lot to me like Avid conceding the software market to Adobe down the line, and hedging their best by getting hardware solidified as their core business. Which is smart, since ISIS is just about the only good product Avid makes afaic.

Three years ago when Apple stopped live tech support on FCP I tried to get my buddies to make a video editing suite but we just didn't have the capital. The world could have been mine, Cody! It was in my grasp!!!

FTFY: [All Devs want] to build more content, faster.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 23:59 (2865 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Interesting read!

And I quote from experience, both myself and others:

"I wish I had more time"

In fact it's less a quote and more a mantra (because it is said so much). I'm not saying anything new here though, as any one here who has worked in at least an entertainment/creative industry where deadlines must be respected feared met is already aware of this.

So basically all they are saying here is "we hear you". Other then the tidbit with infusion, there doesn't seem to be much else this article is saying.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread