IGN Interview is up

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:12 (3918 days ago)

Bungie day is off to a great start!

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:35 (3918 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

IGN Interview is up

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:35 (3918 days ago) @ marmot 1333
edited by Kermit, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:57

McCaffrey said on Twitter than they could prove that almost none of their IGN readers would read the article if they posted the full-length version. That's a pretty sad commentary on their readership, I say. That was frustratingly short, which gave the chatter about the Halo 1 pistol a higher profile than it deserved, IMHO.

Enjoyed the bit about making sure the pieces fit into the bigger puzzle. Jason sounded a lot like Steve Jobs, and I mean that as a compliment. I mean the good Steve Jobs, without the mercurial abusiveness.

Looking forward to the rest!

IGN Interview is up

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:15 (3918 days ago) @ Kermit

Enjoyed the bit about making sure the pieces fit into the bigger puzzle. Jason sounded a lot like Steve Jobs, and I mean that as a compliment. I mean the good Steve Jobs, without the mercurial abusiveness.

Interesting that you would say that - I'm currently reading Isaacson's biography of Jobs, and that was the FIRST thing that came to mind as I read McCaffrey's piece. And yeah, the good parts, without the psycho parts. :)

IGN Interview is up

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:30 (3917 days ago) @ Kermit

McCaffrey said on Twitter than they could prove that almost none of their IGN readers would read the article if they posted the full-length version. That's a pretty sad commentary on their readership, I say. That was frustratingly short, which gave the chatter about the Halo 1 pistol a higher profile than it deserved, IMHO.

I dunno, I imagine there's always been readership like that out in the world forever and ever. If splitting it into three parts gets more people to read the whole, then fine.

Back to the Halo 1 pistol after I quote you here...

Its discussion was illuminating. Jones can wax poetic about what he thinks he does, but perhaps the Halo 1 pistol example actually shows what it looks like in action?

IGN Interview is up

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 08, 2013, 14:04 (3916 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Its discussion was illuminating. Jones can wax poetic about what he thinks he does, but perhaps the Halo 1 pistol example actually shows what it looks like in action?

I am unsure whether you're saying he is actually more hands-on than he thinks he is (in which case I'd point out that Halo 1 was a long time ago and his role has probably changed since then), or whether you're saying that recognizing that the pistol as it was didn't quite fit into the game as it should (and subsequently modifying it) shows him keeping an eye on the overall vision/balance (in which case, I agree).

IGN Interview is up

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, July 08, 2013, 15:13 (3916 days ago) @ stabbim

Maybe a bit of both? Or at least, he has the self awareness of the former being true at some point, and perhaps not longer.

Great insight into how his vision drives destiny

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:55 (3918 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

IGN Interview is up

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:55 (3918 days ago) @ marmot 1333
edited by SigbiasSilva, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 07:59

It's a great read so far, I really do love hearing about Jones' design philosophies. It's a pity the interview has been split into various parts...

Anyhoo, a great start to Bungie Day, indeed!

Quit bugging him about the pistol

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 09:50 (3918 days ago) @ marmot 1333

He waits this long to give an interview and IGN tries to wring a pistol sound bite out of him? Too short, gimme more! Looking forward to tomorrow though.

2001 Q&A

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:00 (3918 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I'm with everyone else that says this piece was too short. I'm dying to hear what he has to say about Destiny. I did enjoy going back and reading his 2001 Q&A linked in the article, especially this part:

At what point in the development process was it decided it was not possible to create the truly "seamless" world as originally announced? Would that have required at least some computer-generated terrain, and if so was such ever coded or used in Halo at any stage?

We had code running, back in Chicago, that spooled in and out geometry as you traversed an enormous world (an archipelago created during an ancient asteroid strike, back when the fortress worlds were planets and not rings), but our ideas changed. We wanted more fighting and less wandering. Action, not exploration. That giant world was sure cool, but it was more appropriate for an RPG game, which is not, in the end, what we decided to create.

First off, exporation was one of the biggest draws to Halo, even if they focused on action. Secondly, the "seamless" world they were dreaming of will finally come to life in Destiny. I'm thinking there's a lot in Destiny that he wanted to do back in the early part of Halo's development. I wonder how many early Halo ideas will finally appear in Destiny.

2001 Q&A

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:32 (3917 days ago) @ bluerunner

We had code running, back in Chicago, that spooled in and out geometry as you traversed an enormous world (an archipelago created during an ancient asteroid strike, back when the fortress worlds were planets and not rings), but our ideas changed. We wanted more fighting and less wandering. Action, not exploration. That giant world was sure cool, but it was more appropriate for an RPG game, which is not, in the end, what we decided to create.[/i]

This part here reminds me of their save system in the Halo games, and how they developed New Mombasa streets in ODST. It makes me wonder about lessons learned for Destiny.

Whoa. Nice catch!

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 16:47 (3917 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

IGN Interview is up

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:28 (3917 days ago) @ marmot 1333

What Destiny stuff in there was cool, but is the Halo 1 pistol still that relevant or controversial? It's been 11 years, I thought there were some other more pressing issues, even in Halo controversy, that are more relevant than that.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread