Pt.2 of IGN interveiw is up!

by GrimBrother IV, Monday, July 08, 2013, 07:38 (3948 days ago)

by shiruken ⌂, Austin, TX, Monday, July 08, 2013, 08:00 (3948 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

Ha!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 08, 2013, 10:30 (3948 days ago) @ shiruken

- No text -

by GrimBrother IV, Monday, July 08, 2013, 12:04 (3948 days ago) @ shiruken

Weird cited it straight fromthe link that said part two.

I think I love him

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, July 08, 2013, 12:35 (3948 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

My favourite bit:

What you’re doing is incredibly arrogant, which is, ‘I believe that this group of people [at Bungie] can make something that millions of other people will not only enjoy, but will enjoy so much that they’re willing to pay for it.’ You have to be f------ stupid to do that.

Pt.3

by Carterficial, Monday, July 08, 2013, 14:59 (3948 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV
edited by Carterficial, Monday, July 08, 2013, 15:03

Tomorrow we get to read his thoughts on Halo 4 and what Phoenix was going to be.

:/

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, July 08, 2013, 18:33 (3947 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

We should have balanced with overheating instead of with inaccuracy, because then you could have held back to line up a target and then pounded it, rather than experience now where you just hold down the trigger and you basically can’t hit it. You feel the opposite of empowerment. You feel disempowered.

No.

The Halo 1 ghost is inaccurate... thus you drive right up to the enemy's face and blast him dead while strafing all over the place. The ability, and encouragement, to do that is why a lot of things in Halo 1 work as well as they do.

Overheating as it exists in modern Halo vehicles is disempowering. Why should a weapon that is typically used in steady fire crap out if you decide to mess around with it. It just makes it so that, when you do fight at a distance, it's experientially disjointed and choppy. The enemies are almost never aggressive enough in terms of long-distance movement to make overheating vehicle guns realistically any less powerful than the same things when they don't overheat; it's simply slowing things down for no reason whatsoever.

I see this line of thought, and the way in which slow-movement ADS continues to proliferate itself through the industry, and I get sad. It's like even people who made awesome shooters in the 90's have totally forgotten why they made some of the decisions they did and what about them worked.

by Jabberwok, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 05:36 (3947 days ago) @ uberfoop

I have to agree, though I see the point Jones is making. But some of the guns in Marathon were extremely inaccurate, but also really fun to use. I didn't even recall the H1 Ghost as being inaccurate. I remember getting out to use my sniper rifle at extreme ranges, but that seemed completely natural. But yeah, I'd say being able to spray rounds all over the place is pretty empowering even though it's sometimes inefficient.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 08:16 (3947 days ago) @ uberfoop

We should have balanced with overheating instead of with inaccuracy, because then you could have held back to line up a target and then pounded it, rather than experience now where you just hold down the trigger and you basically can’t hit it. You feel the opposite of empowerment. You feel disempowered.

No.

The Halo 1 ghost is inaccurate... thus you drive right up to the enemy's face and blast him dead while strafing all over the place. The ability, and encouragement, to do that is why a lot of things in Halo 1 work as well as they do.

Overheating as it exists in modern Halo vehicles is disempowering. Why should a weapon that is typically used in steady fire crap out if you decide to mess around with it. It just makes it so that, when you do fight at a distance, it's experientially disjointed and choppy. The enemies are almost never aggressive enough in terms of long-distance movement to make overheating vehicle guns realistically any less powerful than the same things when they don't overheat; it's simply slowing things down for no reason whatsoever.

I see this line of thought, and the way in which slow-movement ADS continues to proliferate itself through the industry, and I get sad. It's like even people who made awesome shooters in the 90's have totally forgotten why they made some of the decisions they did and what about them worked.

In a perfect world the ghost would work how you describe. Unfortunately, many players take the easy/safe route (On legendary, I know that I did!), and sit back with the ghost spamming blue goo till things fall over. It was an effective but boring strategy, since the ghost was mobile enough to dodge damage.

I think the best strategy would have been to retrofit that motherfucker with a shotgun, something with damage that falls off really quickly, can't be spammed, has a slow ROF, but is devastating up close.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, July 15, 2013, 17:12 (3941 days ago) @ electricpirate

In a perfect world the ghost would work how you describe. Unfortunately, many players take the easy/safe route (On legendary, I know that I did!), and sit back with the ghost spamming blue goo till things fall over. It was an effective but boring strategy, since the ghost was mobile enough to dodge damage.

Exactly; that's what I did, and it wasn't because I wanted to so much as because I wanted to get through those areas and the boredom was less rage-inducing than dying over and over at what seemed like reasonable distances.

I think the best strategy would have been to retrofit that motherfucker with a shotgun, something with damage that falls off really quickly, can't be spammed, has a slow ROF, but is devastating up close.

That sounds interesting, but how would it work with a vehicle, let alone a Covenant vehicle?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, July 15, 2013, 17:08 (3941 days ago) @ uberfoop

No.

encouragement to do what, exactly?

You just gave a reason: to actually encourage you to get up close instead of hitting them from far enough away that their AI doesn't really engage (this has become less of a problem over time though, particularly in and after Halo 2 and Reach).

It sounds to me like he remembers and thinks he made the wrong choice, or at least not the best choice.

by Jabberwok, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 06:29 (3947 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

Glad he mentions Dishonored. Funny, though, as that slide into a crouch during the demo definitely reminds me of it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread