Pt. 3 of Jason Jones Interview posted

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 07:09 (3947 days ago)

IGN has posted the 3rd and final part of the interview with Jason Jones. Go read!

Quote I liked

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 07:15 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Xenos, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 07:22

I like a lot of quotes, but a little bit of Destiny teasing from Jones:

I’m curious what Jones’ current favorite character class and weapon is in the game.

He smiles, laughs, considers the question, and replies, “Right now it’s Warlock and Scout Rifle. But I’m sure it’s going to change. The classes are going through so much evolution. But the warlock right now basically has the team buff and team res abilities, and so those are really fun and essential in team situations.”

Quote I liked

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 07:21 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

Heh, I was coming to post that. It's good to hear that Spacemagic isn't just grenade replacements, as I bitched about earlier.

Quote I liked

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 09:59 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

But the warlock right now basically has the team buff and team res abilities, and so those are really fun and essential in team situations.

I'm now even more on the fence about Warlock/Hunter! My main character in World of Warcraft was a Druid and I loved being a multi-faceted support class for dungeons and raids. If there's some aspect of that in Destiny's Warlock class, I just might be persuaded to go for the SPACEMAGIC and forego the Hunter's long rifle.

Quote I liked

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:05 (3947 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Xenos, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:57

But the warlock right now basically has the team buff and team res abilities, and so those are really fun and essential in team situations.

I'm now even more on the fence about Warlock/Hunter! My main character in World of Warcraft was a Druid and I loved being a multi-faceted support class for dungeons and raids. If there's some aspect of that in Destiny's Warlock class, I just might be persuaded to go for the SPACEMAGIC and forego the Hunter's long rifle.

Or just be a Warlock who sometimes uses a long rifle :)

Quote I liked

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:52 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

Or just be a Warlock who sometimes uses a long rifle :)

Yup, that's it. Done. Sold.

Quote I liked

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:12 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

I like a lot of quotes, but a little bit of Destiny teasing from Jones:

I’m curious what Jones’ current favorite character class and weapon is in the game.

He smiles, laughs, considers the question, and replies, “Right now it’s Warlock and Scout Rifle. But I’m sure it’s going to change. The classes are going through so much evolution. But the warlock right now basically has the team buff and team res abilities, and so those are really fun and essential in team situations.”

This does not help uniqueness angle. Do they want EVERYONE to be a warlock?! They keep selling it. > _ >

Still sticking with Hunter

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:18 (3947 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Quote I liked

by car15, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:34 (3947 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by car15, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:42

I'm going to be a human Titan named Joe Smith and crush beer cans on my forehead while subbing Marty's soundtrack out with Linkin Park singles. #dudebro

Balance

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 23:51 (3945 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm very curious how balance is going to work with this kind of thing. Given the focus on much smaller party sizes than a lot of traditional MMOs, having abilities that buff a group exclusively within a single class does sound like it might lead to unbalanced gameplay. Blizzard already went through this with WoW, and they've iterated on how party buffs work relentlessly. Class-exclusive buffs were one of the earliest casualties to the mantra bring the player, not the class. I hope Bungie have learned from their lessons, here.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 07:24 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

Some things I enjoyed

“A long time ago we built an RPG,” he reveals, “just to test out some ideas and learn things that we didn’t know and think about what disciplines on the design team we needed to hire for that we didn’t already have in the studio. We built a number of little games. They were pretty fun.”

Okay, now that would be a pretty awesome Bungie day surprise ;). I'm curious if these were prototypes for big ideas,or things they created just for practice and internal entertainment.

“No, the rendering… It was able to render things like Minecraft, but it was… It was trying to find its place. Halo had a time in the desert as well,” he explains, meaning that it was trying to find its identity. “The best thing we can do is just look at the build… I don’t even know if we have one anymore. It was cool. There were big castles and you could knock them down with trebuchets. Knocking holes in the wall, and dudes would come out.”

He tries to explain more clearly. “This game was going between RTS and… It’s hard to even describe. It was trying to find out what it was, and it hadn’t. It made it very clear at several junctures, ‘Well, should we put all the resources on the team behind Halo, or should we keep working on this game?’ Eventually we made the decision that it was Halo. The team just went away, or the project went away. The people are still here.”

Interesting concept. It sounds like they had really interesting tech (especially for 2000!) but hadn't figured out where the game play would go.

Great interview, but...

by car15, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 09:24 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

Goddamn, Ryan had better follow up on that cliffhanger.

More incentive talk

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 11:02 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

“I think the great tragedy of Halo is that for years and years it provided wonderful single-player and co-op content, and we provided people with almost no fun incentives or excuses, almost no reason besides their own enjoyment, to go back and replay it. So Halo 1 built these 10 labor of love missions, and only if you decided to go back and replay them was there any incentive to do so.

I invite Jones to elaborate.

“If I would have done anything to Halo 1, it would have been to do something to draw people back into those experiences that they enjoyed the first time. Even in the smallest ways, just to give them an excuse to get together and do it again.”

Like the Skulls in later Halo games?

“Sure. And that was a shadow of an attempt to do that,” he says firmly. “The reason we’re doing [Destiny] is because I feel like, looking back on Halo… I described it over and over again to the team. It’s one of the great tragedies of Halo.”

This part troubles me a little bit. I along with many other people obviously did go back and replay Halo many, many times. Why? Because it was fun as hell. The AI and level designs were setup in such a way that encounters would never play out exactly the same way. Most levels were open-ended enough that exploration was always exciting and in many cases you could approach areas from multiple directions (Silent Cartographer and Assault on The Control Room were goddamn masterpieces). Discoveries like the power of grenades and the Warthog jumping came out of the game mechanics of the game itself, even if they may have been unintentional.

Jason mentions that it was just a shadow of an attempt at incentives, but I definitely thought the skulls in the later Halo games felt pretty artificial and gimmicky. I don't want to be encouraged to replay boring sections of a game for the satisfaction of earning a neato little prize or to fulfill some kind of artificial desire to "collect 'em all!". Make the game fun and I will come back to explore it again, just because.

More incentive talk

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 11:07 (3947 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin
edited by Xenos, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 11:44

This part troubles me a little bit. I along with many other people obviously did go back and replay Halo many, many times. Why? Because it was fun as hell. The AI and level designs were setup in such a way that encounters would never play out exactly the same way. Most levels were open-ended enough that exploration was always exciting and in many cases you could approach areas from multiple directions (Silent Cartographer and Assault on The Control Room were goddamn masterpieces). Discoveries like the power of grenades and the Warthog jumping came out of the game mechanics of the game itself, even if they may have been unintentional.

Jason mentions that it was just a shadow of an attempt at incentives, but I definitely thought the skulls in the later Halo games felt pretty artificial and gimmicky. I don't want to be encouraged to replay boring sections of a game for the satisfaction of earning a neato little prize or to fulfill some kind of artificial desire to "collect 'em all!". Make the game fun and I will come back to explore it again, just because.

Yeah I see why that would be worrisome to some people. I also have played Halo 1 innumerable times because it's fun, but I didn't think the skulls felt gimmicky personally. I'm really hoping what he means is the point systems from campaign in Halo 3 and Reach and the armor unlocks. I enjoyed those without feeling like that was why I was playing the game. I understand what he means though, for quite a number of people out there they will keep playing a game that has unlockables and not play one that the only real purpose to replay it is fun.

In my purely personal opinion I feel the best is to combine both. Make the game ridiculously fun, but give incentives to replay the game for those that want it. I know many people on here disagree with that, but hey, it's the Internet, we can't all agree.

More incentive talk

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 11:38 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

Think what he was saying is in reference to fact that campaign is not nearly as replayable in the player's eyes as multiplayer. (Though I completely agree with you guys about it's replayability and full of possibility encounters)

I get the feeling that they made passes at getting the replay out of campaign (Skulls, firefight, vidmaster's, etc.) and were never quite happy with the result. As much as I love these things, I agree with him. It's a hard question to answer without restricting content or an experience from the player til later. I get the feeling he wanted the average player (most of whom haven't played campaign) to want to play campaign over and over and see all of the fun nooks and crannys and AI possibilities we have.

Hopefully Destiny can itch that scratch.

Well said.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 12:00 (3947 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

More incentive talk

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 23:48 (3945 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Think what he was saying is in reference to fact that campaign is not nearly as replayable in the player's eyes as multiplayer. (Though I completely agree with you guys about it's replayability and full of possibility encounters)

This is how I see it too. The Halo campaigns have the same sort of replayability that a good movie or book has; you want to go back and experience it again, but it's likely to be roughly the same experience as the first time. Certainly the narrative isn't going to go off in a different direction.

But different people replay for different reasons. Completists want to explore every nook and cranny, test the physics of the world and try to get to places they're not meant to. Others want the satisfaction of extreme challenge. It's so hard to guess how they're going to tackle these incentives when they have to satisfy so many different types of gamer, and when the gameplay and world remain mostly undefined.

+1

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 11:59 (3947 days ago) @ Xenos

Halo's campaigns, especially the original trilogy, have been the most replayable gameplay experiences I've ever encountered, and I'm still playing them all today, and still getting a kick out of them.

I could do that with or without skulls, but it's not a bad thing to have any added tweaks or features like scoring to change up the experience a bit, especially if I'm in control of it.

So I'm all for Mr. Jones' intentions, I just think he severely underestimates the vast amount of fun his studio's games are already throwing at us. :)

+1

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 12:22 (3946 days ago) @ Leviathan

Or maybe he's talking about things that Destiny can do that Halo couldn't. Halo's campaign couldn't have new missions added on the fly. Halo couldn't put up a series of public events that the entire player base needed to help complete to cause or prevent something from happening in the gameplay world. Heck, Halo didn't have a day / night cycle. Just having a level at night with different enemies and challenges that a lack of visibility brings might be reason enough to replay an area.

Too often we try and find the worst meaning behind incentive, but incentives can be good things too.

I like the way you think.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 13:16 (3946 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Totally.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 13:45 (3946 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

+1

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 18:43 (3945 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Or maybe he's talking about things that Destiny can do that Halo couldn't. Halo's campaign couldn't have new missions added on the fly. Halo couldn't put up a series of public events that the entire player base needed to help complete to cause or prevent something from happening in the gameplay world. Heck, Halo didn't have a day / night cycle. Just having a level at night with different enemies and challenges that a lack of visibility brings might be reason enough to replay an area.

Too often we try and find the worst meaning behind incentive, but incentives can be good things too.

Definitely. Those sound like some really exciting ways to draw players back in that are natural extensions of the game world. I hope we'll see Bungie using a lot of creative ways to subtly implement incentives (to revisit areas in the game) that don't prioritize reward-lust over gameplay or obnoxiously break the fourth wall.

Speaking of terrible incentives...I gotta say, Xbox Live style achievements are the worst. Bloop! You had an emotional moment. Bloop! You explored off the beaten path. Yeah, thanks for cheapening the experience. At least I can switch off notifications.

+1

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 19:08 (3945 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Speaking of terrible incentives...I gotta say, Xbox Live style achievements are the worst. Bloop! You had an emotional moment. Bloop! You explored off the beaten path. Yeah, thanks for cheapening the experience. At least I can switch off notifications.

Depends. I most definitely want a Bleep Bloop when I beat Destiny's main stroyline on Legendary or whatever. Same if I search out and find all the clues to whatever major story point. Achievements marking and recognizing that I accomplished something awesome are fine. I also tolerate achievements for doing things the first time. Like when Bungie made an achievement to uploading a video to your fileshare, that was good because it pointed people towards an amazing feature they might not look at otherwise.

The achievements I dislike are the ones that are "unnatural." "Kill 25 enemies in one Matchmaking game with the plasma pistol while surfing on the front of a Ghost on the DLC map that you'll never play because nobody else bought it"… Yeah, no. I'd do away with the "kill 80,000,000 Elites" or "Fire 63 million bullets from the Assault Rifle" or any other long term but mundane "you incremented the number high enough!" achievements too.

If I understand it the 180 will allow for achievements to be added much more easily on the fly. That's going to be good and bad. Bad because we'll surely see many more stupid achievements, but good because we'll see some good ones too. I don't think I ever got it, but I enjoyed when Bungie put in the achievement for killing someone with a flying traffic cone after the youtube video showing it happen totally on accident. Sure people tried and tried to do it right after that… but so what? Responding to awesome things the community does is fine.

+1

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:31 (3945 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:34

Depends. I most definitely want a Bleep Bloop when I beat Destiny's main stroyline on Legendary or whatever. Same if I search out and find all the clues to whatever major story point. Achievements marking and recognizing that I accomplished something awesome are fine. I also tolerate achievements for doing things the first time. Like when Bungie made an achievement to uploading a video to your fileshare, that was good because it pointed people towards an amazing feature they might not look at otherwise.

The achievements I dislike are the ones that are "unnatural." "Kill 25 enemies in one Matchmaking game with the plasma pistol while surfing on the front of a Ghost on the DLC map that you'll never play because nobody else bought it"… Yeah, no. I'd do away with the "kill 80,000,000 Elites" or "Fire 63 million bullets from the Assault Rifle" or any other long term but mundane "you incremented the number high enough!" achievements too.

If I understand it the 180 will allow for achievements to be added much more easily on the fly. That's going to be good and bad. Bad because we'll surely see many more stupid achievements, but good because we'll see some good ones too. I don't think I ever got it, but I enjoyed when Bungie put in the achievement for killing someone with a flying traffic cone after the youtube video showing it happen totally on accident. Sure people tried and tried to do it right after that… but so what? Responding to awesome things the community does is fine.

I agree for the most part. Definitely not a fan of the high-tier achievements that encourage grinding. I can appreciate that the others serve a purpose and I'm sure most people don't mind. I've just always disliked Live achievements for whatever reason. It seems like an unnecessary layer between the player and the game world, especially if you leave notifications on.

Like visiting a foreign country and every time you go somewhere cool or do anything interesting some dorky guy from the travel agency jumps out of nowhere, yells CONGRATS! and posts about it on your Facebook...Or even worse, like wandering through a new town with your nose firmly stuck in the travel guide book.

Not really a big deal though since the system is easy enough to ignore. It was fun to have a whack at some of the more unique achievements after finishing the Halo games but it always felt better to just go exploring and trying things out on my own.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 14:51 (3946 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Yeah, this is absolutely bewildering, in part because as I have explained many times, 'incentives' tend to ruin games.

Did he not pay any attention to the Halo community? I don't think anybody complained about lack of incentive in Halo 1, and the Halo games that DID have this 'incentive' were replayed far less than Halo 1.

If that's his plan for Destiny, my gut tells me to look out.

More incentive talk

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 05:16 (3946 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, this is absolutely bewildering, in part because as I have explained many times, 'incentives' tend to ruin games.

Did he not pay any attention to the Halo community? I don't think anybody complained about lack of incentive in Halo 1.

People saying they play campaign once, then play multiplayer or trade it in/stop playing is one of the most common things I hear about games.

A decent designer looks at the evidence, uses their mind, and can see the truth without people having to explicitly TELL them what's wrong.

and the Halo games that DID have this 'incentive' were replayed far less than Halo 1.

Looking inside your own circle of friends/community is a really awful indication of general trend.

For certain individuals, certain styles of play, they may have played less when certain things were changed or added. But over the whole player base? Doubt it was anything but up.

Even if it were true, correlation does not equal causation and we could point to several possible reasons for it: freshness of the style of play, lack of other compelling games on the platform, no online multiplayer etc.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 09:47 (3946 days ago) @ RC
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 10:21

A decent designer looks at the evidence, uses their mind, and can see the truth without people having to explicitly TELL them what's wrong.

This is why Portal 2 dropped challenges and advanced chambers. "We looked at Steam, PSN and XBL, and only like 11% of the people playing the game ever tried them, and fewer than 1% finished them all. So we didn't put them into Portal 2"

Well, guess what? Those things were awesome.

I'm sure a minority of people use forge, yet if it were taken out that'd be a huge problem. Most people probably never used films in Campaign, but they are gone now and tons of people miss it.

Likewise if you have to create 'incentives' for casual players to keep playing, then you're going to make your game worse for the people who actually do like to replay, an decrease the overall quality if your game.

Halo 4 is the biggest seller of the Halo series appealing to the most people, but is it the best? I think we all know the answer to that.

Don't look at the 'evidence' look at your gut and make a game that is simply fun for its own sake. Bungie used to do this well: you know your game is good when it gets delayed because all your employees are playing netgames instead of working (then blame it on the boxes).

More incentive talk

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 14:09 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Likewise if you have to create 'incentives' for casual players to keep playing, then you're going to make your game worse for the people who actually do like to replay, an decrease the overall quality if your game."

I understand what you're getting at, but this statement is weaselly, with no way to prove or disprove.

Moreover, I disagree with the spirit of the statement. As an analogy, imagine if Subway introduces a punchcard where if you buy five sandwiches, you get the 6th free. You're saying this makes all the sandwiches worse for those who already liked them.

More incentive talk

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 08:53 (3945 days ago) @ marmot 1333

"Likewise if you have to create 'incentives' for casual players to keep playing, then you're going to make your game worse for the people who actually do like to replay, an decrease the overall quality if your game."

I understand what you're getting at, but this statement is weaselly, with no way to prove or disprove.

Moreover, I disagree with the spirit of the statement. As an analogy, imagine if Subway introduces a punchcard where if you buy five sandwiches, you get the 6th free. You're saying this makes all the sandwiches worse for those who already liked them.

I don't necessarily agree. There are a few tried and true methods for extending replayability through incentive. One of my favorites is unlockables, stuff like extra characters, costumes, weapons, modifiers, rare dialog. Now the skulls did a few of these, and clearly not to the extent Jason wanted, but I am fervently on board with unlockables and expanding your arsenal and different permutations. Especially if if effects the possible outcomes of AI or Physics.

More incentive talk

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 17:38 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is why Portal 2 dropped challenges and advanced chambers. "We looked at Steam, PSN and XBL, and only like 11% of the people playing the game ever tried them, and fewer than 1% finished them all. So we didn't put them into Portal 2"

No. That's an example of someone thinking a feature/mode has to get used some arbitrary amount in order to justify it and can't be justified on simply making a game better.

That'd be like putting in a reference or some plot subtly or background detail in your movie and then saying that 'X' amount of people have to 'get it' for you to bother doing it in future movies. Or including an instrument in your piece of music and turning it up REALLY LOUD because unless everyone realises you included it (even those with crappy listening skills) then it's not worth doing. That's a stupid way to think.

I also included the 'uses their mind' as a qualifier and that's basically the same thing as you saying to look at your 'gut.' It's the difference between 'knowledge' and 'wisdom.'

But you can't just use intuition when you're building systems for other people to use since you don't think like everyone else.

Incentives don't justify modes, they don't replace solid core gameplay. They're multipliers. Multiplying zero by anything still leaves you with zero.

More incentive talk

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 18:21 (3945 days ago) @ RC

Incentives don't justify modes, they don't replace solid core gameplay. They're multipliers. Multiplying zero by anything still leaves you with zero.

This is right on.

I think my gripe comes from games where incentives are implemented poorly or in such a way that exploration/experimentation within the game environment goes from being its own reward to being a means to an end. Incentives are used to keep players grinding away, driven by desire, even when the core gameplay is lacking. The balance is off. Instead of players telling truly unique stories about unusual feats of exploration for its own sake, the experience turns into "so I got Reward ABC for doing Challenge XYZ the other day." At their worst, incentives interrupt the connection between the player and the game world. The journey becomes meaningless and the reward all encompassing.

That said, from the little we've seen so far, Destiny's core gameplay looks fun as hell.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 18:43 (3945 days ago) @ RC
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 18:46

They are divisors.

However when there is a reward involved, this alters the ability of the player to enjoy the moment to moment pleasure of the game, simply because now instead of focusing on the present, the player has to focus on future. If you are driven to play because of that reward, this shift prevents the player from merely enjoying the present moment on its own, since the expectation is now that the present moment carries later on a future reward. Obviously if you are not driven to play because of the reward, the reward is unnecessary. So by playing for a reward, you are undermining the inherent value of the game's moment to moment pleasures.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=6921

More incentive talk

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 20:15 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They are divisors.

However when there is a reward involved, this alters the ability of the player to enjoy the moment to moment pleasure of the game, simply because now instead of focusing on the present, the player has to focus on future. If you are driven to play because of that reward, this shift prevents the player from merely enjoying the present moment on its own, since the expectation is now that the present moment carries later on a future reward. Obviously if you are not driven to play because of the reward, the reward is unnecessary. So by playing for a reward, you are undermining the inherent value of the game's moment to moment pleasures.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=6921

There is such a thing as context. The knowledge of a promising future doesn't necessarily diminish my enjoyment of the present unless my entire purpose is bent on the outcome. The knowledge of a reward doesn't necessarily demand that the moment to moment experience must suffer unless it is presented in such a way that the reward is all encompassing and all important. If the balance is right, a reward simply makes the journey that much sweeter.

More incentive talk

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 13:14 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They are divisors.

Twisting analogies:

5 / 0.5 = 10

:D

However when there is a reward involved, this alters the ability of the player to enjoy the moment to moment pleasure of the game, simply because now instead of focusing on the present, the player has to focus on future.

If the game is sufficiently engaging or challenging in itself, a player will have to forget about the reward in order to focus on the task at hand.

Don't tell me every time you're doing your job you're only thinking about your pay packet at the end of it, all the time?

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 14:08 (3944 days ago) @ RC

Don't tell me every time you're doing your job you're only thinking about your pay packet at the end of it, all the time?

Well no, but a job is about as far from leisure activity as you can get, isn't it? Unless you are paid to play games, how is this relevant?

More incentive talk

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 15:24 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well no, but a job is about as far from leisure activity as you can get, isn't it? Unless you are paid to play games, how is this relevant?

Flow theory. It's really not very different. Rules, skills, agency, feedback, goals.

You manage to do your job without thinking about the reward all the time. Yet you can't give yourself or others enough credit to suppose that they're able to do the same in a video game?

More incentive talk

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:31 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I gotta agree with Cody on this one, to an extent.

I thought the Skulls and Terminals were fantastic additions to the campaign, and a decent enough reason for at least one more play through to find them all, so I don't necessarily mind things they add for replay incentives.

However, I wish they would not waste their time, and instead just make the game awesome enough to replay on it's own merits.

FTL is a good example of this. I'm still replaying that damn game, even though I'm sure I've seen almost everything the game has to offer. It's just that fun that I keep going back to it.

Hell, to stay relevant, Combat Evolved is the best example of it. There's no reason to replay the campaign, unless you enjoy doing so. And I certainly did. It's still easily the best campaign experience of the series, and that's not rose colored nostalgia glasses talking. I still play it quite often (most recently about a month ago). It's that good. There's no need for anything extra. I don't think any "incentive" they could or would have added would have added to my enjoyment whatsoever.

Focus on making the gameplay absolutely amazing and you won't need anything else. Leave the incentives to multiplayer, if you must. But really, don't even do that. Unlock all the customization options from the very beginning. I don't want to have to play for 50 or 100, or hell, even 5 hours to get the piece of cool looking armor I want.

Too many times, I've seen people or forums, or heard my friends say, "I've unlocked everything, there's no reason to play that anymore."

Seriously? How about because the game is fun? If you were strictly playing to unlock new gear, why the hell were you playing at all?

Sometimes people truly are astounding, and not in a good way.

More incentive talk

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:55 (3945 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I gotta agree with Cody on this one, to an extent.

I thought the Skulls and Terminals were fantastic additions to the campaign, and a decent enough reason for at least one more play through to find them all, so I don't necessarily mind things they add for replay incentives.

However, I wish they would not waste their time, and instead just make the game awesome enough to replay on it's own merits.

FTL is a good example of this. I'm still replaying that damn game, even though I'm sure I've seen almost everything the game has to offer. It's just that fun that I keep going back to it.

Eh. FTL has a ton of achievements! A lot of its replaying is to unlock the other ships and ship variants as well. Don't get me wrong, because FTL is a fantastic game (that needs to be on my iPad…) but it's not really a good example of a no achievement / no grind type game.

Hell, to stay relevant, Combat Evolved is the best example of it. There's no reason to replay the campaign, unless you enjoy doing so. And I certainly did. It's still easily the best campaign experience of the series, and that's not rose colored nostalgia glasses talking. I still play it quite often (most recently about a month ago). It's that good. There's no need for anything extra. I don't think any "incentive" they could or would have added would have added to my enjoyment whatsoever.

Agreed, for the most part. There's nothing out of "modern gaming" that I want added to Assault on the Control Room. But I say that in the context of it being the single player, high walled, sorta kinda corridor of a level that it is. Like I said earlier in the thread (and I may be wrong / overly optimistic) Destiny seems like the kind of game that is so different from Halo 1 that there are cool things they could do with it that couldn't be done before. Things that wouldn't make sense in the case of one Spartan stranded on a strange ringworld, but make a ton of sense when the story is that hundreds of Guardians, including yourself, are out defending The City. Each person playing AotCR was walled off from the other because of Halo's single player nature and the nature of its one Spartan story, but in Destiny the things that one Guardian does could end up affecting what you are doing in neat ways. Incentive to replay could come in the form of doing things to help yourself and to help those around you.

Focus on making the gameplay absolutely amazing and you won't need anything else. Leave the incentives to multiplayer, if you must. But really, don't even do that. Unlock all the customization options from the very beginning. I don't want to have to play for 50 or 100, or hell, even 5 hours to get the piece of cool looking armor I want.

Agreed, except I think they should leave a few of the coolest things to be unlocked. Stuff for the true fans. But even then that stuff shouldn't be too hard to get, as even true fans don't always have a lot of time to grind their Stupid Spartan Score to 117 million or whatever.

More incentive talk

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 22:15 (3945 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Eh. FTL has a ton of achievements! A lot of its replaying is to unlock the other ships and ship variants as well. Don't get me wrong, because FTL is a fantastic game (that needs to be on my iPad…) but it's not really a good example of a no achievement / no grind type game.

Yeah, it does have achievements, and new ships to unlock. I don't even have all of them yet. However, I don't care. Yes, the new ships do add value, in that their layouts and capabilities are different. But that's not the reason I keep replaying it. I almost always use the Kestrel anyway. I'm not sure the game would have lost anything had it not included extra ships (for me).

Agreed, for the most part. There's nothing out of "modern gaming" that I want added to Assault on the Control Room. But I say that in the context of it being the single player, high walled, sorta kinda corridor of a level that it is. Like I said earlier in the thread (and I may be wrong / overly optimistic) Destiny seems like the kind of game that is so different from Halo 1 that there are cool things they could do with it that couldn't be done before. Things that wouldn't make sense in the case of one Spartan stranded on a strange ringworld, but make a ton of sense when the story is that hundreds of Guardians, including yourself, are out defending The City. Each person playing AotCR was walled off from the other because of Halo's single player nature and the nature of its one Spartan story, but in Destiny the things that one Guardian does could end up affecting what you are doing in neat ways. Incentive to replay could come in the form of doing things to help yourself and to help those around you.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Destiny looks to play quite a bit like Halo, in the moment to moment shooting mechanics. I could be wrong about that, but from what we've seen, it looks how it has the same feel to it's shooting. But just the nature of it being much more open means they can do very different, interesting things. But it still boils down to, if the game is enough fun, I'll replay it quite a bit, because of the game itself, rather than trying to find that loot drop or rare event or whatever it happens to be.

More incentive talk

by Tails @, Across the Pond, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 22:47 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm sure a minority of people use forge, yet if it were taken out that'd be a huge problem. Most people probably never used films in Campaign, but they are gone now and tons of people miss it.

Likewise if you have to create 'incentives' for casual players to keep playing, then you're going to make your game worse for the people who actually do like to replay, an decrease the overall quality if your game.

Halo 4 is the biggest seller of the Halo series appealing to the most people, but is it the best? I think we all know the answer to that.

Don't look at the 'evidence' look at your gut and make a game that is simply fun for its own sake. Bungie used to do this well: you know your game is good when it gets delayed because all your employees are playing netgames instead of working (then blame it on the boxes).

(Emphasis mine)

Those Portal challenges that were so awesome? Those were "incentives" to replay the level (quickest time, fewest portals etc. - they encourage you to play the exact same content but in a different way).

Would you perhaps concede that (as is virtually always the case) implementation is king, and that Valve simply got it right where others sometimes get it wrong?

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 00:23 (3945 days ago) @ Tails

Those Portal challenges that were so awesome? Those were "incentives" to replay the level (quickest time, fewest portals etc. - they encourage you to play the exact same content but in a different way).

Would you perhaps concede that (as is virtually always the case) implementation is king, and that Valve simply got it right where others sometimes get it wrong?

I think puzzle games operate a little differently. The challenges aren't really incentives, so much as new puzzles. Ok, now beat this chamber using 6 or fewer portals. You have to think and solve a totally new puzzle. This is pretty different than giving rewards for tasks in game, since the whole point of a puzzle game is to solve puzzles, and the challenges are themselves new puzzles.

More incentive talk

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 01:57 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think puzzle games operate a little differently. The challenges aren't really incentives, so much as new puzzles.

Plants vs Zombies: reward for completing a given level = a new plant. A new weapon in your armoury, which unlocks new gameplay strategies.

Any MMO: reward for levelling up = new abilities.

EVE Online: reward for learning skills = ability to fly new ships. Reward for reaching a given reputation level with an NPC faction = new missions or gameplay-affecting items.

It's not just puzzle games; the industry is replete with examples of intrinsic rewards that have gameplay benefits. They might not be to your taste, but they do exist, and they're often very successful.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 10:48 (3945 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 10:52

I think puzzle games operate a little differently. The challenges aren't really incentives, so much as new puzzles.

Plants vs Zombies: reward for completing a given level = a new plant. A new weapon in your armoury, which unlocks new gameplay strategies.

If it unlocks new 'gameplay' strategies, then the game would have been more interesting and complex with it to begin with, and thus it should have been available from the start. It's not compelling to play a worse version of the game in order to then play a better version.

However, if gaining weapons after beating a level ADDS to the game's complexity and strategy (Think Mega Man), then it's obviously ok. Which order do I do the bosses in? Do I beat Air Man first and have item 2 in Heat Man's stage, or do I beat Heat Man first and have item 1 in Air Man's stage? Can't have it both ways. I have to pick. That is doing it right.

It's not just puzzle games; the industry is replete with examples of intrinsic rewards that have gameplay benefits. They might not be to your taste, but they do exist, and they're often very successful.

I think we are on a different page, since the challenges in Portal do not have 'gameplay benefits'. They ARE the 'gameplay' - the equivalent of adding an extra level to play. By the way, as far as I remember, advanced chambers and challenges were available to play right from the start.

More incentive talk

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 12:03 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If it unlocks new 'gameplay' strategies, then the game would have been more interesting and complex with it to begin with, and thus it should have been available from the start. It's not compelling to play a worse version of the game in order to then play a better version.

So in your view one is a worse version and one is a better version. In my view one is a different version than the other - neither is inherently 'better', they're DIFFERENT. One is available at the start, others (equally valuable) unlock along the way.

To me, this is far more analogous to the 'level 2 unlocks after you finish level 1' argument - which you said was the way it HAS to work.

I think you need to worry less about value judgements. ;)

More incentive talk

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 14:41 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But there is a good argument for not making these additional facets to the gameplay available from the outset, and that's the complexity. It's a pretty universally-accepted trait of modern games that they will gradually introduce gameplay to you rather than inundating you with it all at once. Even a game as hardcore and overwhelming as EVE does this in part, by placing a time/effort barrier between you and (for example) the ability to pilot larger ships. This serves a purpose, though, as it forces you to learn and (potentially) master smaller, more disposable craft before you get to fly the rest.

The same is true in PvZ; if you give a player all (however many it is) plants right from the outset, whilst you might have more choices, they're not necessarily meaningful choices until you can learn the situations in which they work best.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 14:46 (3944 days ago) @ kapowaz

But there is a good argument for not making these additional facets to the gameplay available from the outset, and that's the complexity. It's a pretty universally-accepted trait of modern games that they will gradually introduce gameplay to you rather than inundating you with it all at once. Even a game as hardcore and overwhelming as EVE does this in part, by placing a time/effort barrier between you and (for example) the ability to pilot larger ships. This serves a purpose, though, as it forces you to learn and (potentially) master smaller, more disposable craft before you get to fly the rest.

The same is true in PvZ; if you give a player all (however many it is) plants right from the outset, whilst you might have more choices, they're not necessarily meaningful choices until you can learn the situations in which they work best.

This is where designing a proper difficulty curve comes in. I think it's bullshit that features and aspects of the game get introduced as time goes on (for instance, grenades not being available in normal or easy in Halo until you reach the end of PoA where the game 'trains' you to throw them, or Portal where you don't get the dual portal gun right away).

Ideally all that should be available to the player from the start (with exceptions, see MegaMan), but the difficulty of the game should be what ramps up accordingly. As the game gets harder, the player has to figure out how to use all these techniques to win.

That's how it used to be done, and the best way in my nuanced opinion.

More incentive talk

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 14:51 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ideally all that should be available to the player from the start (with exceptions, see MegaMan), but the difficulty of the game should be what ramps up accordingly. As the game gets harder, the player has to figure out how to use all these techniques to win.

That's how it used to be done, and the best way in my nuanced opinion.

Why does Megaman get an exception? What about Super Metroid? I don't understand why it's okay for some games to slowly "introduce gameplay" and others cannot. It seems entirely arbitrary the way you're justifying your personal viewpoint on this being bad practice in some games.

More incentive talk

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 23:44 (3944 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Why does Megaman get an exception? What about Super Metroid? I don't understand why it's okay for some games to slowly "introduce gameplay" and others cannot. It seems entirely arbitrary the way you're justifying your personal viewpoint on this being bad practice in some games.

You're forgetting: this is his nuanced opinion.

More incentive talk

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 11, 2013, 15:02 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

IMO, overwhelming the player with gameplay choices right from the start without even having at least an off-main-game tutorial about them is very poor design. Having us play by trial-and-error is not very fun and once you finally find a good approach, you tend to stick with it.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 12, 2013, 11:11 (3944 days ago) @ ZackDark

IMO, overwhelming the player with gameplay choices right from the start without even having at least an off-main-game tutorial about them is very poor design. Having us play by trial-and-error is not very fun and once you finally find a good approach, you tend to stick with it.

Well, this is where a proper difficulty progression solves this problem. When you first start the game on easy or normal mode, it should be somewhat easy, so that the player doesn't have to worry about all the elements he's got. However, as the difficulty ramps up, he'll find himself having to experiment with the elements in order to overcome the new challenges. This is sort of an anti tutorial, since it's up to him to figure out and apply things.

You do the same for hard and very hard, while then having an expert / extreme difficulty where all of the game is super challenging.

I am wondering if destiny is going to have difficulty levels. If not, it's going to be an insufferable bore playing all the easy parts…

More incentive talk

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 23:49 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think it's bullshit that features and aspects of the game get introduced as time goes on

Why?

(for instance, grenades not being available in normal or easy in Halo until you reach the end of PoA where the game 'trains' you to throw them

Why? How does this negatively affect gameplay?

or Portal where you don't get the dual portal gun right away).

Why? What are the negative implications of learning how to use the portal gun in this (very briefly) limited manner?

Ideally all that should be available to the player from the start (with exceptions, see MegaMan)

Why does MegaMan get a pass?

but the difficulty of the game should be what ramps up accordingly. As the game gets harder, the player has to figure out how to use all these techniques to win.

If you're making a flight sim, then I agree. But games are an entertainment medium, and as such are meant to be fun (and to most players, not just the tiny percentage of savants who are willing to persist with them until they get it right).

That's how it used to be done

…by unforgiving, arcade-inspired games that were unapproachable to the majority of gamers. I would argue that you are using your personal preference as justification for arguing that all games should be made this way, in spite of the fact a.) most people wouldn't enjoy them, and b.) they'd be commercial failures.

More incentive talk

by Tails @, Across the Pond, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 02:40 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think puzzle games operate a little differently. The challenges aren't really incentives, so much as new puzzles. Ok, now beat this chamber using 6 or fewer portals. You have to think and solve a totally new puzzle. This is pretty different than giving rewards for tasks in game, since the whole point of a puzzle game is to solve puzzles, and the challenges are themselves new puzzles.

I'd agree there's a little bit of apples vs oranges when talking about puzzle games vs action games, but I do think it's a bit of a stretch to call Portal's challenge modes totally new puzzles. I felt I was being asked to solve the existing puzzles better. For me the challenges simply informed me the puzzles I had just solved were solvable differently and perhaps more elegantly - certainly it was the push I needed to sink many more (thoroughly enjoyable) hours into the levels I'd already completed.

I'd suggest you're keeping to too obvious a definition of a replay incentive. If you want an example that falls under perhaps a subtler definition, look at Trials. Friend leaderboards and ghost support are two things I'd say are great incentives to replay content - not integral to the second-to-second gameplay mechanics but wrappers around it that tease you to go again and again. That's replay incentives applied unobtrusively and to great effect.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 10:55 (3945 days ago) @ Tails

I'd suggest you're keeping to too obvious a definition of a replay incentive. If you want an example that falls under perhaps a subtler definition, look at Trials. Friend leaderboards and ghost support are two things I'd say are great incentives to replay content - not integral to the second-to-second gameplay mechanics but wrappers around it that tease you to go again and again. That's replay incentives applied unobtrusively and to great effect.

Those things are simply there to measure your skill at the game, so all that is is someone replaying the game because they desire to improve their skill.

More incentive talk

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 10:59 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Those things are simply there to measure your skill at the game, so all that is is someone replaying the game because they desire to improve their skill.

See to me that counts as an incentive. Just putting scoring as an option in Halo 3 and Reach made me replay so I could compete against friends in campaign. I replayed Halo 3 more times in the first month than any other Halo game before it, probably about 5x as many times, just because I had something like scoring. This is the kind of reason I like to replay a game: it's fun and replaying it is MORE fun because I can improve or compete in a quantifiable way.

More incentive talk

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 13:24 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The have a desire to improve their skill because they have a way to PROVE it and receive recognition for it. That's an external incentive. If you took the easy in-game measuring sticks away, a whole lot of people wouldn't bother.

In Mirror's Edge you think the speed run /time trial mode was a detriment to the game, when it's literally the EXACT SAME THING.

God! You frustrate me.

More incentive talk

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 14:29 (3944 days ago) @ RC

In Mirror's Edge you think the speed run /time trial mode was a detriment to the game, when it's literally the EXACT SAME THING.

I said it was a detriment to the speedrunning scene, not the game.

More incentive talk

by Tails @, Across the Pond, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 13:28 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's still nudging people to replay the game where perhaps they otherwise would not, no matter the underlying objective. Igniting the desire to improve skill in someone is a great replay incentive.

More incentive talk

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 17:30 (3938 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 18:23

What about an incentive you can only get by doing something like that?

I think we are on a different page, since the challenges in Portal do not have 'gameplay benefits'. They ARE the 'gameplay' - the equivalent of adding an extra level to play. By the way, as far as I remember, advanced chambers and challenges were available to play right from the start.

The challenges and advanced chambers have you replaying some of the standard levels, with (shockingly enough) more challenge, which is something you like, and even without that you said you liked the challenges and advanced chambers ("Those things were awesome."), making them incentives. Also you remember wrong, you have to beat, for example, TC 15 to be able to do challenges on TC 15 and play TC 15 Advanced.

One small correction

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 12, 2013, 00:34 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's possible to make something so awesome that no one can appreciate it. There is a point of diminishing returns along the axis where excellence and accessibility meet. A lot of the things you like are at or beyond it.

That's very true, and does underscore why Bungie has many times-- not always-- gone above and beyond for something they think is cool, even if they know not everyone appreciates it.

Not necessarily. The above examples, for instance. Forge and films create incentives for certain kinds of players to replay a game, but do nothing to make the game worse for everyone else, except insofar as any zero sum game analysis of the situation suggests that money and man-hours spent on one feature could have been spent on something else.

Umm, what?

No, it isn't.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=halo

Perhaps it reached some particular milestone faster than all others, but it hasn't been out long enough to even surpass Halo 2. So far it has only outsold ODST, the original, and Halo Wars.

A lot of what we have heard about internal playtesting of Destiny suggests that exactly this is going on. Give me day one digital downloads on all platforms and screw the boxes :)

One small correction

by kapowaz, Friday, July 12, 2013, 01:27 (3944 days ago) @ narcogen

That's very true, and does underscore why Bungie has many times-- not always-- gone above and beyond for something they think is cool, even if they know not everyone appreciates it.

Forge is a special case, too: its inclusion benefits people who have no interest in creating stuff with it themselves since the minority who do enrich the experience for everyone. It can't be looked at in a vacuum.

One small correction

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 12, 2013, 06:33 (3944 days ago) @ kapowaz

Forge is a special case, too: its inclusion benefits people who have no interest in creating stuff with it themselves since the minority who do enrich the experience for everyone. It can't be looked at in a vacuum.

I'd say the same for films, too, to a degree. Films make a variety of fan-created content much easier, which enriches the experience for everyone, and extends the life of the franchise by generating interest in it long after game launch dates.

My biggest two complaints about Halo 4 were the lack of films and the horrible web interface through which 343 delivered stats, both of which made it impossible (for me) or difficult to do things I could do with ease before, which I like to think built community and interest.

One small correction

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 12, 2013, 01:39 (3944 days ago) @ narcogen

Umm, what?

No, it isn't.

Perhaps it reached some particular milestone faster than all others, but it hasn't been out long enough to even surpass Halo 2. So far it has only outsold ODST, the original, and Halo Wars.

Old data. Halo 4 is at 8.37 Million.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/07/games-halo-4-top-seller

One small correction

by kapowaz, Friday, July 12, 2013, 03:16 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Old data.

I'm suspicious of this press release. It doesn't give any numbers, and the wording is very careful to mention “for sales during each respective launch year” and “in the U.S. market”. Reading between the lines, I'd say it suggests:

1. It's not the top-selling MGS game ever, worldwide
2. Outside of the fiscal year it was released in, it's no longer the top-selling Halo title. Particularly comparing it to Halo 3 (which remains a long-term multiplayer favourite years after release) it might not have had the staying power.

Speculative, naturally, but in the absence of a less ambiguous press release it's only natural to be suspicious.

One small correction

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 12, 2013, 04:39 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Umm, what?

No, it isn't.

Um... I hung around on GAF long enough to learn that VGChartz can be wrong sometimes... but that's actually precisely the number it gives for Halo 4, globally. How is that old data?

There are no numbers in that article, and they're talking about number of copies sold in a product's launch year - a relatively meaningless statistic when you're looking at products that have been on the market for 10+ years. It sold FASTER than anything else out of the gate (in the US, at least) - but only time will tell if that rate means anything about the continued sales down the road.

One small correction

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 12, 2013, 08:18 (3944 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Umm, what?

No, it isn't.

Um... I hung around on GAF long enough to learn that VGChartz can be wrong sometimes... but that's actually precisely the number it gives for Halo 4, globally. How is that old data?

There are no numbers in that article, and they're talking about number of copies sold in a product's launch year - a relatively meaningless statistic when you're looking at products that have been on the market for 10+ years. It sold FASTER than anything else out of the gate (in the US, at least) - but only time will tell if that rate means anything about the continued sales down the road.

I was looking at that wrong. How confusing.

One small correction

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 12, 2013, 22:50 (3943 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Umm, what?

No, it isn't.

I was looking at that wrong. How confusing.

In other news, Halo 4 is not canon. Discuss.

One small correction

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 12, 2013, 22:49 (3943 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Umm, what?

No, it isn't.

Old data.

Really? VGChartz says the data is as of June 29, 2013.

Halo 4 is at 8.37 Million.

That is the SAME number cited by VGChartz worldwide. (Halo 3 is over 11 million worldwide, but only 7.7 million in North America.

Worldwide or US? Also, where did you get that number? The xbox.com page does not actually list one, it just cites "Microsoft sell-through data".

Are you, or MS, seriously suggesting that Halo 4 outsold Halo 3's entire five-year run in only nine months, and then expecting people to believe it without figures?

More incentive talk

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 23:36 (3945 days ago) @ Cody Miller

because as I have explained many times, 'incentives' tend to ruin games.

Please god not this shit again.

More incentive talk

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 16:09 (3938 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Did he not pay any attention to the Halo community?

What, you're confused that your explanation wasn't enough for the co-founder and lead designer of Bungie to shift around how their games are made? Maybe you just didn't explain well enough how incentives are evil, or maybe you didn't talk long enough about how bad they are, or maybe you didn't hate them hard enough for it to be felt all the way over there. Maybe if you yell loud enough you can still save Bungie from themselves.*

I don't think anybody complained about lack of incentive in Halo 1, and the Halo games that DID have this 'incentive' were replayed far less than Halo 1.

If ever there was a time a citation was needed**, it would be now.

I'll say this though, apparently you were right about him not being fully engaged or interested in what Bungie was doing (at least their primary projects at the time) for the last 2-3 games. I wish someone had been straightforward about it back when regular people were asking about it (giving interviews more than once a decade might also work, but I don't blame him for not being that comfortable with them and wanting to do other things in his free time).

* BTW, I realize you said "...in part because as I have explained...", i.e. you're referring to those explanations, not saying they're a reason to act differently or that the supposed tendencies of incentives would be the only reason, but you still did slip that part about you explaining things in there and directly followed it with asking if he paid attention to the community

** Does this really only allow the colors in the little color-pick box thing? I tried to change the numbers around to get a different color and it just showed the tag itself.

agreed...

by Jabberwok, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:22 (3944 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I had the exact same reaction to that part. I played through Halo 1 more times than possibly any other game, with 0 "incentives". Even today, over a decade later, I could probably close my eyes and play most of it just from memory.

I'm not crazy about the trend of putting in more artificial incentives, like achievements, et cetera. For instance, I enjoy some things about Borderlands, but the focus on playing it simply for obtaining loot and not for the fun of playing it is irritating and not particularly fun. I'm hoping that Bungie is going to stay focused on the more natural brand of fun.

agreed...

by Jabberwok, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:26 (3944 days ago) @ Jabberwok

That said, I didn't mind the skulls. Anything that offers gameplay customization can be interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing games do more stuff like that, like the mutators in UT.

agreed...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:29 (3944 days ago) @ Jabberwok

I'm not crazy about the trend of putting in more artificial incentives, like achievements, et cetera. For instance, I enjoy some things about Borderlands, but the focus on playing it simply for obtaining loot and not for the fun of playing it is irritating and not particularly fun. I'm hoping that Bungie is going to stay focused on the more natural brand of fun.

Personally I enjoy getting loot, but that being said I did NOT enjoy Diablo or Borderlands loot very much because you get too much loot! "Let's see I just got this gun, but this new one has higher damage... but the old one fires rocket, ah crap, now I have 3 more guns to compare..." From the demo it doesn't look like Destiny will have the same problem though.

agreed...

by Jabberwok, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:39 (3944 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I played Borderlands 2 online the other night, and it was impossible to find a game with people who were PLAYING the game instead of just standing around comparing their weapons. It was very boring.

agreed...

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:54 (3944 days ago) @ Jabberwok

There's so much loot it takes about 1/2 your gameplay time to sort through it all.

I bought it last week when it was on sale and while I do enjoy it, I had to will myself to not even pick stuff up when my inventory was full so I could get to the next check-point before my limited game-time was up.

I actually had the opposite experience with the matchmaking; had a level 50 in with 3 level ~15s and he was just blazing through everything, running ahead and leaving me nothing to shoot.

Bringing it on back to Destiny, I get the feeling that Destiny will have less overall loot. That, combined with the emphasis on upgrading your weapons that (AFAIK) Borderlands does not have, seems like you will have more opportunity to develop a bond between you and your weapon.

"Yeah, I got this pistol the first week I had the game, but it took me 6 months to level it up all the way" vs "Yeah, I just got this pistol 5 minute ago and now I have a better one"

agreed...

by Jabberwok, Friday, July 12, 2013, 12:25 (3943 days ago) @ marmot 1333

True. I'm hoping it will strike a balance, and I think the overlap between single player and public spaces might help with that. With Borderlands, I've gone back and forth between parties who kill a boss before I can manage to run from the spawn to the arena, and parties who stand around talking about Call of Duty until I get bored and quit. And the overabundance of weapons is definitely an issue. In my opinion, recent games are borrowing the wrong elements from traditional RPGs. I'd rather focus on building a good character than randomly finding a good weapon.

The one thing I'm worried about with Destiny is that the original Halo games had a very well-constructed sandbox, with each weapon being very unique and built for a specific role. Games with a larger quantity or that add randomization to items tend to be lacking the level of quality that comes with more thoughtful design, Borderlands being the most obvious example.

There's so much loot it takes about 1/2 your gameplay time to sort through it all.

I bought it last week when it was on sale and while I do enjoy it, I had to will myself to not even pick stuff up when my inventory was full so I could get to the next check-point before my limited game-time was up.

I actually had the opposite experience with the matchmaking; had a level 50 in with 3 level ~15s and he was just blazing through everything, running ahead and leaving me nothing to shoot.

Bringing it on back to Destiny, I get the feeling that Destiny will have less overall loot. That, combined with the emphasis on upgrading your weapons that (AFAIK) Borderlands does not have, seems like you will have more opportunity to develop a bond between you and your weapon.

"Yeah, I got this pistol the first week I had the game, but it took me 6 months to level it up all the way" vs "Yeah, I just got this pistol 5 minute ago and now I have a better one"

agreed...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 12, 2013, 13:01 (3943 days ago) @ Jabberwok

The one thing I'm worried about with Destiny is that the original Halo games had a very well-constructed sandbox, with each weapon being very unique and built for a specific role. Games with a larger quantity or that add randomization to items tend to be lacking the level of quality that comes with more thoughtful design, Borderlands being the most obvious example.

One thing I remember Bungie saying quite clearly is that all of their weapons have been hand balanced, as opposed to Borderlands' procedural generation. That should help a lot.

agreed...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 12, 2013, 13:03 (3943 days ago) @ Ragashingo

One thing I remember Bungie saying quite clearly is that all of their weapons have been hand balanced, as opposed to Borderlands' procedural generation. That should help a lot.

Which even with 400+ employees seems crazy to me. I picture a guy in a room with a dev kit on a desk and on the opposite wall a giant spreadsheet of weapon balancing, haha.

Oh dang, they talk about Phoenix

by Ze Moose, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 16:10 (3946 days ago) @ Xenos

Is this the first time they've publicly talked about what that game was going to be?

I think so

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 16:15 (3946 days ago) @ Ze Moose

Is this the first time they've publicly talked about what that game was going to be?

I believe it is. Then again, that project was a long time ago, so maybe I'm just forgetting.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 19:19 (3946 days ago) @ Ze Moose

As far as I know, Phoenix was a mech action game. It could be something different that never got off the ground.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 19:44 (3946 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As far as I know, Phoenix was a mech action game. It could be something different that never got off the ground.

Never confirmed, but I had always associated Phoenix with the "Breach"-labeled set of concept art made years ago by Craig Mullins.

[image]

[image]

Wow, those pictures are AWESOME.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 20:28 (3942 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 12, 2013, 00:37 (3944 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Medieval siege game. No mechs as far as I know. Unless they were made of wood and stone.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 18:02 (3938 days ago) @ narcogen

Medieval siege game. No mechs as far as I know. Unless they were made of wood and stone.

golems, maybe? on that note, I'd like to play these "little games" that were made in between Halo, Phoenix, and Destiny

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 20:37 (3938 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I'd like to play these "little games" that were made in between Halo, Phoenix, and Destiny

Chances are highly likely that you will play one of these "little games" in some configuration or another within Destiny as some of them may have helped form the inner workings of the world and create mechanics for the product that will be shipped.
I highly suspect that one or more of the fun and compelling "little games" will make it into Destiny as a standalone, in the form of one of the in world mini-games they have hinted about in recent interviews/informational briefings.

Particle for example, was regarded by a few Bungie employees to be a 'game' that was being worked on. Which from all we can tell so far simply regards the Geomantic symbols (obviously those have a greater meaning than just the context of Particle) and the Alpha Lupi teaser. We have yet to see what, if any, embodiment they may, or may not, take within Destiny.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 20:04 (3946 days ago) @ Xenos

If I would have done anything to Halo 1, it would have been to do something to draw people back into those experiences that they enjoyed the first time. Even in the smallest ways, just to give them an excuse to get together and do it again.

To serve what purpose, Jones?

That one thing you'd do to make Halo 1 better is alleviate its difficulties in getting people to replay it? I'm usually not amused by developer's serious attempts at "incentivizing replayability", what the serious froodlenutzsky that he's using Halo 1 as an example of somewhere where it could possibly have a purpose.

by Jabberwok, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:31 (3944 days ago) @ Xenos

Bringing up the Halo 2 ending again. I still thought it was the perfect ending, since I already expected a 3rd game. I don't understand why people react so strongly against cliffhangers.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:42 (3944 days ago) @ Jabberwok

Bringing up the Halo 2 ending again. I still thought it was the perfect ending, since I already expected a 3rd game. I don't understand why people react so strongly against cliffhangers.

Like he said I don't think most people were upset because of the cliffhanger as much as the abruptness of the ending. Like "Wait, what? It's over?" Personally I agree with you I didn't have a problem with it at all, but I remember beating it and a few minutes later thinking "Man the Internet is going to be pissed by that ending."

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 12, 2013, 11:29 (3944 days ago) @ Jabberwok

Agreed. I love the lighting and the music when Miranda and Johnson are talking to Spark about the remaining Halo rings. It's just so Halo at that point. Then, to me, having the Chief say "Finishing this fight" wasn't a cut off. It was a promise of Halo 3. I was excited because it meant I'd get another Halo game not mad that the current one ended.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 16:27 (3938 days ago) @ Xenos

Oh BTW, everyone talking about how the first Halo game didn't need extra stuff etc., he didn't say just that one.

"I think the great tragedy of Halo is that for years and years it provided wonderful single-player and co-op content, and we provided people with almost no fun incentives or excuses, almost no reason besides their own enjoyment, to go back and replay it. So Halo 1 built these 10 labor of love missions, and only if you decided to go back and replay them was there any incentive to do so."

I invite Jones to elaborate.

"If I would have done anything to Halo 1, it would have been to do something to draw people back into those experiences that they enjoyed the first time. Even in the smallest ways, just to give them an excuse to get together and do it again."

Like the Skulls in later Halo games?

"Sure. And that was a shadow of an attempt to do that," he says firmly.

He used Halo 1 as an example, and then when he was asked to elaborate he went into it more with that example. He also says that skulls were a partial attempt at doing what he wanted-- a few people don't like them, but I think overall there's been less complaint about them than at least half the other things in the games (besides being hidden so well). I'd also like to point out the wording there. He calls any more incentives an excuse-- not an excuse to make more money, not an excuse to put more things into the game or give people more to do, an excuse for people to play the games more, and in particular to get together and play them more. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if we agree the games were already (really) good. Am I the only one here that's ever had trouble getting someone (personally several people over the years, including myself) to do something fun?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, July 22, 2013, 09:43 (3934 days ago) @ General Vagueness

That's weird, I could've sworn he said "for example, [in] Halo 1" somewhere, but doing a search shows "example" is only used once and it's after that part... either they took it out (unlikely) or I read it wrong.... I do stand by what I said, though, I believe he was not *just* talking about Halo 1 there as far as what he would've done differently and/or added, and he did say that it would be an excuse to play it more.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread