Danny O'Dwyer's new project: video game documentaries. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 12, 2016, 23:11 (2786 days ago)

Danny O'Dwyer recently left his position at Gamespot. Today he revealed why: to start Noclip. He's started a Patreon in an attempt to create the "30 for 30 of video games" with monthly documentary series.

I pledged, because I love the guy's work, and because this idea is a fantastic one. He's seeking specifically to create a site and content that's not "news of the day" clickbait and reviews, which I can appreciate and is something I feel we sorely need.

Go check it out and throw in a few bucks if you can!

Danny O'Dwyer's new project: video game documentaries.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 04:43 (2786 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Danny O'Dwyer recently left his position at Gamespot. Today he revealed why: to start Noclip. He's started a Patreon in an attempt to create the "30 for 30 of video games" with monthly documentary series.

That sounds like it could be cool. It sounds very resource intensive though to make something of that caliber every month. I would love to see the resulting films though.

Danny O'Dwyer's new project: video game documentaries.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 17:30 (2786 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm really torn, because this sounds like a great idea, but I don't think any AAA publishers will let someone outside of their marketing divisions' control put out media on their games or inner workings. They're all super corporate and even shut down their own devs from talking publicly about anything, let alone being interviewed without having final approval.

Which means it's 30 for 30 on indie games. Could still be cool, but those games aren't the games where I want to know what the hell happened behind the scenes. Usually the devs will straight up just tell you in those cases, and usually the story is "I always wanted to make this game so I did." It's not all that interesting and it's going to be very repetitive.

The good stories are the studios that got fired off of a game and a new studio had to come in halfway through development and pick up the pieces. Or stories about gaming personalities like Carmack and how they started out and then got to where they are.

All of those people are contracted with major corporations though, and those corporations only care about share value. Either the 30 for 30 will make those shares go up because it's completely free of anything remotely "exposé"-esque and is whitewashed beyond recognition or they will make the shares go down because they expose how poorly these companies are run and the films will never get made in the first place.

I'm skeptical as to how this will turn out.

That being said, I'd fucking love to host this. Call me, Danny!

What does 30 for 30 mean?

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 18:59 (2786 days ago) @ Kahzgul

There is no mention of it on that patreon page. I read online that it is an ESPN documentary series, but what does the name mean? What does it imply? 30 whats for 30 whats?

Sorry if this is too pedantic, but I'm curious since the other posters seem to just understand what it means.

What does 30 for 30 mean?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 20:32 (2786 days ago) @ marmot 1333

30 films about things that happened in the first 30 years of ESPN.

And then they kept making them.

Thanks!

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 20:54 (2786 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread