Marty asked an interesting question

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 20:27 (3942 days ago)

On twitter Marty asked, "Speaking of sci fi, anyone here ever read Dhalgren?"

Is Marty dropping a book title as a reference for Destiny? Or is he just trying to understand what he read. haha.

-Hedge.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 06:30 (3942 days ago) @ Hedge

Is Marty dropping a book title as a reference for Destiny? Or is he just trying to understand what he read. haha.

-Hedge.

After perusing the Wikipedia article, I don't understand what I just read.

I could see some parallels with the "unknown catastrophe", as noted in the opening of the Wikipedia entry:

Bellona, a fictional city in the American Midwest cut off from the rest of the world by some unknown catastrophe. William Gibson has referred to Dhalgren as "A riddle that was never meant to be solved."

... I wonder if Bungie's intention will be to purposefully leave riddles unanswered for the fans of Destiny lore to ponder for the rest of time? I think I would be okay with that.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 06:51 (3942 days ago) @ JDQuackers

... I wonder if Bungie's intention will be to purposefully leave riddles unanswered for the fans of Destiny lore to ponder for the rest of time? I think I would be okay with that.

I'd be very okay with that.

Yes please!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 09:19 (3942 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

- No text -

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 20:58 (3941 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

I think my favorite quests are the ones that seek to answer a question or right a wrong only to kick up a whole new bunch of chaos and questions you don't want to answer.

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Monday, July 15, 2013, 15:25 (3940 days ago) @ JDQuackers

-Hedge.

After perusing the Wikipedia article, I don't understand what I just read.

I could see some parallels with the "unknown catastrophe", as noted in the opening of the Wikipedia entry:

Bellona, a fictional city in the American Midwest cut off from the rest of the world by some unknown catastrophe. William Gibson has referred to Dhalgren as "A riddle that was never meant to be solved."

Depends on the questions. I don't think you can leave questions that are absolutely central to the core story or theme unanswered, even if it's disappointing (see for example, Lost.) But there's plenty of holes in say the Halo story that I'm glad Bungie and 343i have left unfilled so that fans can have their own bit of interaction and play around with what fits that gap. I'm sure Bungie will do the same with Destiny, and that's certainly good in my book.

(To use the Dhalgren example, I don't think Bungie needs to elaborate on the catastrophe much, because what's important is setting up the world we're going to be exploring.)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, July 19, 2013, 08:22 (3937 days ago) @ davidfuchs

Depends on the questions. I don't think you can leave questions that are absolutely central to the core story or theme unanswered, even if it's disappointing (see for example, Lost.)

this, very much this

But there's plenty of holes in say the Halo story that I'm glad Bungie and 343i have left unfilled so that fans can have their own bit of interaction and play around with what fits that gap. I'm sure Bungie will do the same with Destiny, and that's certainly good in my book.

The thing is though, unless you detail everything everything that ever happened to every character, location, and object, there are going to be gaps anyway.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, July 15, 2013, 22:08 (3940 days ago) @ JDQuackers

"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 11:42 (3935 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Let's hope so. Not everything in backstory or tangential story needs to be explained. See 343 and Halo.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread