Your Gaming Guilty Pleasures *OT*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 15, 2013, 12:46 (3941 days ago)

I'm curious as to what people's guilty pleasures on here are when it comes to games. Maybe you like a game and it's embarrassing because of the subject matter. Maybe you like a game that is absolutely terrible, but somehow it appeals to you. Anything where you might be hesitant to tell people you are a fan.

The purpose here is to perhaps get some people to try each other's guilty pleasures! I will try at least two other people's games from this thread. :-D

I'll share two of my milder ones, and ramp up if folks get crazy with their confessions.

The first is by all means a pretty bad game, but I don't know why, I still love it. Maybe it's because it's so hard. We are talking BattleToads hard. Or maybe because Ghostbusters was my favorite thing ever as a kid. Anyway, Ghostbusters II for the NES. I played this last week actually.

The second is also by most accounts a bad game - a very simple JRPG. There are relatively few items, and your characters don't get a lot of spells, so battle strategy for every boss is exactly the same, including the final boss. The turn based combat system is slow and tedious, without much strategy. The translation was… controversial, and it's your typical Boy saves Girl story. Lunar: Silver Star Story.

Despite being a bore mechanically, the story just really gets me. Maybe it's the simplicity of the message, Good vs Evil, triumph of the human spirit, etc, but my hair stands on end when I see the ending. It's so satisfying and perfect. I'm such a sissy.

Share.

On a recent note

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, July 15, 2013, 12:52 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've been loving the hell out of Deadpool, High Moon knows how to handle existing franchises well.

It's an old adventure game button masher circa 2005 (Reminds me a lot of Spiderman 2), but it is quite unpolished, a bit repetitive, and short for the price.

That doesn't stop me from loving the hell out of it.

Pippa Funnell: The Stud Farm Adventure

by Jillybean, Monday, July 15, 2013, 13:12 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

I was thinking of making a Let's Play for this now my PhD's finished. It's SUCH a good game.

The sequel 'Take the Rens' is okay, 'The Golden Stirrup Challenge' is too badly bugged.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 15, 2013, 13:26 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can only really think of two games that I enjoyed more than I think the games deserved. First is the start of the Tomb Raider franchise. The story was terrible but man the gameplay was a lot of fun (especially for the time). The other is Wet. It is truly an awful game, but surprisingly entertaining. There is something hilarious and exciting about sliding on your knees across basically an entire courtyard while you shoot bad guys in the face.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 15, 2013, 13:52 (3941 days ago) @ Xenos

There is something hilarious and exciting about sliding on your knees across basically an entire courtyard while you shoot bad guys in the face.

You my friend, need to play Vanquish then!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:03 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is something hilarious and exciting about sliding on your knees across basically an entire courtyard while you shoot bad guys in the face.

You my friend, need to play Vanquish then!

I keep meaning to pick it up, I'll add it to my game "shopping list"

by electricpirate @, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:05 (3941 days ago) @ Xenos

Going back to when I was a kid, I played a ton of Deadly Towers. That game was awful, but it was what I had, so I loved it. I'd also go back to the SNES era to sing the priases of Plok. Shit was great, but got no love.

Now I would rather try to figure out why I like something, rather than make excuses that for liking it.

In real Life, I eat some social stigma for being an avid ultimate frisbee player. I don't really give a fuck, but randomly I'll get a weird look and a "Isn't that with Dogs?" question.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:07 (3941 days ago) @ electricpirate

In real Life, I eat some social stigma for being an avid ultimate frisbee player. I don't really give a fuck, but randomly I'll get a weird look and a "Isn't that with Dogs?" question.

There's a stigma to playing ultimate frisbee? Well I don't really care because Ultimate is awesome!

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Monday, July 15, 2013, 13:27 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I do remember a friend and I spending a weekend playing Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball, for the original Xbox.

That was definitely a guilty pleasure.

Weirdo Inside

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 15, 2013, 13:54 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Grizzlei, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:12

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball - Be quiet, you know swimming and volleyball is fun. Boobs have nothing to do with it. Get your head out of your ass.
Viva Piñata and Spore - Kids games are the most simple, fun, and addicting time wasters out there.
Metal Gear Solid - I always feel like a weirdo exclaiming my love for Kojima's mind.
World of Tanks - The amount of money I've put into a free game is embarrassing, especially when I'm such a terrible tanker. Oh fucking well. I think tanks are really freaking cute. Yeah I'm kinda ashamed that Girls und Panzer made me obsessed with this god damn game once more. Oh fucking well. Hetzer gonna hetz!
Battle Engine Aquila - Absolutely nobody on this planet played this game. Why? I dunno. It has really cool mechs that can traverse from fighter mode to walking mode in a second. A great cure for boredom.
Perfect Dark Zero - The story was entertaining, the graphics were pretty, and though the guns sucked, fighting bots was a blast.
Dance Central - I love dancing. Anywhere is my stage. But I feel so damn geeky whenever I pop in this game with its weird ass choreography. I will never EVER play this game in front of people who haven't known me for more than a year.
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus - Fantastic games, but I'll never admit that outside of intellectual discussion. Makes me feel like some pretentious artsy fartsy douchebag whenever I go off saying how games will never achieve this level of beauty again.

Weirdo Inside

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:13 (3941 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Woah, a good few of those games wouldn't strike me as something to be guilty about at all.

Metal Gear Solid, Ico and Shadow are all well loved, totally cool to like them.
Except MGS4. >_>

Weirdo Inside

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:18 (3941 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Metal Gear Solid, Ico and Shadow are all well loved, totally cool to like them.

Absolutely! I just don't like to admit it on a first date or with anyone not geeky. :P

Except MGS4. >_>

I enjoyed Guns of the Patriots for its gameplay. I was never much a fan of the action in the games prior for the forced camera in third person. Shooting in MGS4 is just as fun as in any shooter. Much easier to go crazy with assault rifles and LMG's.

Weirdo Inside

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:22 (3941 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I enjoyed Guns of the Patriots for its gameplay. I was never much a fan of the action in the games prior for the forced camera in third person. Shooting in MGS4 is just as fun as in any shooter. Much easier to go crazy with assault rifles and LMG's.

I enjoyed the gameplay in the first two Acts. After that...

Weirdo Inside

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:27 (3941 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I enjoyed the gameplay in the first two Acts. After that...

The CQC ending with Liquid was pretty lame. I would've ended with the REX vs. RAY battle at Shadow Moses. God that was fun. :)

Weirdo Inside

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:13 (3941 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Metal Gear Solid - I always feel like a weirdo exclaiming my love for Kojima's mind.

Not the worst kojima game to be a fan of. I liked Policenauts, but it's one of his more pervy games. You can fondle the breasts of about every female character you meet (including your ex-wife's daughter by another man), and the main character calls other characters fags as an insult. Yup. Feeling a little weird about that one.

Weirdo Inside

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:23 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not the worst kojima game to be a fan of. I liked Policenauts, but it's one of his more pervy games. You can fondle the breasts of about every female character you meet (including your ex-wife's daughter by another man), and the main character calls other characters fags as an insult. Yup. Feeling a little weird about that one.

I'm aware of the game, but only now do I really know what it's about. That little bit alone is enough to discourage me from potentially playing it.

Yet another reason I'll never talk about Kojima in the presence of normal people.

Weirdo Inside

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Monday, July 15, 2013, 15:25 (3941 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I'm aware of the game, but only now do I really know what it's about. That little bit alone is enough to discourage me from potentially playing it.

Yet another reason I'll never talk about Kojima in the presence of normal people.

But normal people won't know who you're talking about anyhow! :)

Weirdo Inside

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:24 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oh wow, really?
I've also read about some questionable extras in Peace Walker with the 16 year old character Paz.

Weirdo Inside

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:35 (3941 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Oh wow, really?
I've also read about some questionable extras in Peace Walker with the 16 year old character Paz.

Peace Walker takes place in the early 70's so Paz is of legal age during the game itself. Of course, I'm sure her bikini (which is actually really pretty) is the least worrying perviness in the game.

Weirdo Inside

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 09:03 (3940 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Wow, I like so many of these...

Viva Piñata and Spore - Kids games are the most simple, fun, and addicting time wasters out there.

Viva Piñata is incredible. I've definitely sunk far too many hours into that game.

Perfect Dark Zero - The story was entertaining, the graphics were pretty, and though the guns sucked, fighting bots was a blast.

This was the first game I purchased for my 360. There was a time when me and some friends would meet online after school each day and just casually play infection, or the... erm... base defence gametype? Just defending ourselves against endless bots for countless hours, usually while also hammering out homework.

Dance Central - I love dancing. Anywhere is my stage. But I feel so damn geeky whenever I pop in this game with its weird ass choreography. I will never EVER play this game in front of people who haven't known me for more than a year.

I love making a fool out of myself with this stuff. I get really into it. I've never actually owned the game, or a similar one, but I always end up on them?

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus - Fantastic games, but I'll never admit that outside of intellectual discussion. Makes me feel like some pretentious artsy fartsy douchebag whenever I go off saying how games will never achieve this level of beauty again.

Gah, I've been meaning to play these for so long now... I really need to experience them...

Anyway, I approve very much of your guilty pleasures.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:00 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Aero the Acrobat. I first came across it when I was really little at a friend's house. I don't recall ever making it past the first stage when I was that young, but it was a game and I enjoyed it. It was probably one of the first video games I ever played, and as such, had special meaning to me. Later on, I found a copy of it for the Gameboy Advance and played through it for purely nostalgia's sake, multiple times. Then I punched my Gameboy in frustration one day, and I haven't played it since :(

Other than that I find that the LEGO games are really fun!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 15, 2013, 20:16 (3941 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Dark Void - My sister randomly got me this game, I'd never really heard of it before. The 3rd-person shooting mechanics are meh (not bad, just not great), and it could have used quite a bit more polish, but it wasn't like anything I'd ever played before. The ability to transition from on-foot combat, to hovering around, to full-on rocket man mode on the fly is so COOL. The person-to-craft/craft-to-craft aerial combat is quite fun, too. For anyone who liked the space combat in Reach but wished they could jump out and hijack a banshee, I'd recommend giving it a try. Also, Bermuda Triangle, alternate dimension/realm, and Nikola Tesla in the same story.

by petetheduck, Monday, July 15, 2013, 20:19 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Viva Pinata.

Now I know why I like you.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, July 15, 2013, 21:08 (3940 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

by Avateur @, Monday, July 15, 2013, 21:13 (3940 days ago) @ petetheduck

I wouldn't call that a guilty pleasure. I love the hell out of that game, and am not ashamed in the slightest. :D

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 15, 2013, 21:00 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Jurassic Park III - Park Builder (GBA)
Army Men Advance (GBA)
Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC)

However, even though I have a lot of N64 games, I actually don't feel guilty for any of them. No, not even Buck Bumble. Buck Bumble is the shit.

Oh, wait. Glover. Yes. Glover.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 07:31 (3940 days ago) @ ZackDark

Jurassic Park III - Park Builder (GBA)
Army Men Advance (GBA)
Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC)

However, even though I have a lot of N64 games, I actually don't feel guilty for any of them. No, not even Buck Bumble. Buck Bumble is the shit.

Oh, wait. Glover. Yes. Glover.

My buddy recently bought glover for a few bucks, what a shame.

I fucking love Buck Bumble. so trippy.

BTW, in PTCG, what the fuck was up with the creepy dude in the skin tight black suit? He always came in and molested my good time.

Xbox Live Indie Games

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, July 15, 2013, 21:38 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you own a 360 and haven't looked into the Indie Games section on Live, you owe it to yourself to go check out some of the hilarious turds that reside there. I went through it a while back and downloaded the demos for anything that looked absurd enough to be entertaining. There's nothing better than whipping out one of these babies to show off your entertainment system.

Some of my favorite stinkers.

No Luca No

Baby Maker Extreme

Rocket Girl

Punch That Face

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure (this one's actually a wonderful parody of Oregon Trail)

Advent Rising.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, July 15, 2013, 22:23 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I couldn't really think of any except maybe Tomb Raider games, but those are 'in' now, right?

(Haven't played the new one yet, but even though they weren't super-innovative, I thought the next-gen trilogy [Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld] before the reboot was full of nostalgic fun and actually showed some interesting character development for Lara.)

But then I remembered the tragic Advent Rising! A game which you WILL find four copies of at every used game store (marked at $3). It was rushed, glitchy, and seemed to be missing huge fragments, but man I thought it was EPIC, especially the Maw-run-like vehicle sequence about a third (?) of the way through the game. Also had some good tracks from Jack Wall.

I guess Enter the Matrix might have also been one. Such a terrible, terrible game, and the most glitches I've ever experienced in one sitting. I remember getting my head stuck in a ceiling and my legs just flailing around as I tried to run away. But boy did I love running up walls and pretending I was Neo for five days on the grace of Blockbuster.

Enter the Matrix

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 03:10 (3940 days ago) @ Leviathan

Best. DOS hacking. Game. Ever.

Even if the sword assassinations wore off quite quickly.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 05:47 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- Fusion Frenzy, want to take a break from 4 player Halo right after launch? Fire up fusion frenzy for some good laughs.
- Snowboard Kids (N64), so amazing
- I was about to say Harvest Moon (SNES), but there's no reason to ever feel guilty about it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 09:34 (3940 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- Fusion Frenzy, want to take a break from 4 player Halo right after launch? Fire up fusion frenzy for some good laughs.

!!!

I used to play that jump and duck game trying to break 200!

Trying?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 15:27 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody, you surely did it more than a few times, didn't you?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 06:49 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 07:04

I've been trying to come up with a game that fits the guilty pleasure description and just can't… I like all the games that I like without reservation. The closest thing at all would be Final Fantasy XIII who's storytelling and gameplay I both enjoyed while the rest of the world seemed a bit meh on.

So how about taking it offline. I've got two things I'm hesitant to admit to:

1. I actually really liked Speed Racer (2008). Yes, it was a bit cheesy. Yes Speed's little brother and his pet monkey were stupid. But there was something about it. It had wonderfully exciting racing sequences. It had a neat semi-realistic feel for all those goofy over the top cars. But what's more, the story was about the spirit and integrity of racing that really struck home with me. I saw it in 3D and came home with a smile and I don't care what anybody else says. :)

2. Oh dear… I can't believe I'm admitting this… *winces* Pogs. The only… ultimately unpopular… fad I've ever been caught up in. For a couple of months every kid in school had Pogs and I had to have me some Pogs and I got some Pogs and the fad went pop and I'm never going to mention it again. Certainly not a guilty pleasure NOW, but it was a pleasure I once had that I feel quite guilty about today, so that counts, right?

Speed Racer

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 15:29 (3940 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I know exactly what you mean.

Whenever I'm zapping channels and happen to stumble upon it, I can't take my eyes off of it. It's like visual cocaine. Insane.

Oh dear!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 20:39 (3939 days ago) @ ZackDark

I had not actually watched the movie in a bit. Put it in and am blown away again. The opening race is like Sonic the Hedgehog, mixed with skittles, mixed with Hot Wheels, mixed with a double dose of magic. I think my head is going to explode and I'm going to like it.

Giving it some more thought

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 07:27 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Here are some that I love for reasons I totally shouldn't:

-Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
-Doritos Crash Course games
-Any tennis, golf, or kart game with cartoon characters other than Mario
-Any party game with cartoon chatracters
-Old Madden games (what's the difference)
-The Burger King games
-Pretty much any n64 game I buy locally for a $1 (we're up 500% this year already.)

Giving it some more thought

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 20:21 (3939 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

-The Burger King games

The little blues and I are known to break out Big Bumpin' from time to time.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 10:45 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oldies

• Warrior (vector graphic top-down sword-fighting game)
  • The Colony (B&W on a Mac--precursor to Marathon in my mind)
  • Kickman (Think Space Invaders except with balloons vs. a clown on a unicycle)
  • Carmegeddon (You might actually know this one.)

Xbox arcade

• Uno
  • Lumines

If anyone remembers the first three I might faint.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 13:15 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Crystal Caves

Way before my time. But it's a favorite to go back and play on my dads old computer.

by Das Kalk, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 13:30 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - People gave this game SO much flak. It's definitely not up to par with the glory of the N64 titles, but how could it be? Those games are considered to be masterworks... I love the creativity and openness of the game, and it retains that B&K humor through and through.

Just Cause 2 - Less of a guilty pleasure, more of a hidden gem. This game rivals even Saints Row for pure, unadulterated open world madness. Story is hilariously bad (in a good way), and it has such a great set of sandbox toys, and it's on the steam sale with all of the additional content for 15$ right now. GO BUY IT. You already missed it for half that price 2 days ago!

Brink - I liked it way more than everyone else seemed to. A bit like a combination of Mirror's Edge and a more objective based MP mode like generator defense. I liked it quite a bit.

Syndicate - I LOVED this game. Such a strong aesthetic identity and the game just FEELS good. It's got crazy tight controls, amazing soundtrack, and a really engaging multiplayer mode, yet everybody seemed to think is was bland, shallow, and "just another shooter".

Dead Island - People seem to rag on it incessantly... I love Dead Island. There's something about throwing a knife at a zombie, walking up to it, yanking the knife out, punching it in the face, and then throwing the knife at the next zombie that never gets old. Sure, it's rough around the edge, but the core of it is strong enough to keep me coming back.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 13:49 (3940 days ago) @ Das Kalk

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - People gave this game SO much flak. It's definitely not up to par with the glory of the N64 titles, but how could it be? Those games are considered to be masterworks... I love the creativity and openness of the >game, and it retains that B&K humor through and through.

Me and my buddy still make horrid creations using the tow bar and rockets so that you have a powerful force with full range of motion. It's horrifying when the physics of the game give into your demands.

Why go over the bridge when you can go under?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 14:53 (3940 days ago) @ Das Kalk

Just Cause 2 - Less of a guilty pleasure, more of a hidden gem. This game rivals even Saints Row for pure, unadulterated open world madness. Story is hilariously bad (in a good way), and it has such a great set of sandbox toys, and it's on the steam sale with all of the additional content for 15$ right now. GO BUY IT. You already missed it for half that price 2 days ago!

I've logged about 30 hours into this game and have enjoyed every second of it. There's something so liberating about landing supersonic fighters and military transport aircraft on that bridge adjacent to the Panau International Airport. But yeah, totally worth the pennies you'll pay for this. Would've been great had it included campaign co-op.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 15:43 (3940 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Yes. The sheer scale of the map and the way they pull off the visuals for it alone makes it worth it, but the game itself is gallons of fun as well.

Not for the completionists OCD people, since at least one of the destructables necessary for 100% completion of side objectives is broken, as is the spawn frequency of a certain bus (I got lucky and managed to board one, but never seen even once since).

by Das Kalk, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 23:01 (3939 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I was SO hoping the game Avalanche had planned for E3 was Just Cause 3, so they could add that, but instead they showed a crappy Mad Max game :(

They had a co-op beta...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 06:14 (3939 days ago) @ Grizzlei

This is the result

That still goes on frequently

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 10:43 (3939 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Last week, if I'm not mistaken, for example, had a JC-MP weekend.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 17:51 (3940 days ago) @ Das Kalk

It's also currently $9.99 on the Playstation Store ($7.99 if you have PS+). I didn't like the first one at all, past the thirty minutes of goofing around I managed to do when I rented it however long ago. But 8 bucks is definitely a price that made me look at Just Cause 2. The reviews and videos I've seen make it sound pretty good. May have to give it a try.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 18:11 (3940 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm a big fan of Just Cause 2. I never played the first one, but from what I've heard 2 is much better.

The sheer scale of Just Cause 2 is amazing. It's not as complex of a world as a GTA game, but it's bigger. I remember once taking over a 747 and flying for 15+ minutes in one direction at max speed, and I STILL hadn't crossed the map yet. And with the grappling ability and infinite parachutes, it's a game that does a great job making you feel empowered to do over-the-top awesome things.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 18:17 (3940 days ago) @ stabbim

The sheer scale of Just Cause 2 is amazing. It's not as complex of a world as a GTA game, but it's bigger. I remember once taking over a 747 and flying for 15+ minutes in one direction at max speed, and I STILL hadn't crossed the map yet.

Whaaaaa? You must've tethered another 747 to your plane.

Which is something you can do, people. This game is awesome

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 18:20 (3940 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

by Das Kalk, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 23:03 (3939 days ago) @ cheapLEY

JC2 is a perfect example of fixing almost everything wrong with the first game. I don't know if i've seen a sequel so much better than its predecessor since Assassin's Creed 2.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 20:12 (3940 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The survival mode in Driv3r is the most hilariously awesome thing I've played. You're in a car in one of three cities, you can't get out of the car, the police are driving ridiculously overpowered cars, and the physics are wonderfully awful. You lose when the police have rammed your car enough to destroy it, but the police cars are so overpowered, the AI is so simple, and the physics are so bad that they'll launch themselves over you.

From a standing start the police cars will do a wheelie when they start after you. If they pin your car agaist something they will just keep piling more and more police cars on top of you like something out of the Blues Brothers. Late coming police cars will ramp off of the pile and go flying into buildings. Sometimes hitting curbs just right will send you flying over skyscrapers.

The game is bad, but I don't think I've laughed as hard playing any other game as I have with Driv3r. I still have a copy, even though I don't have an original Xbox anymore. One of these days I'll pick up another one just to play it again.

Here's a video:

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 20:26 (3939 days ago) @ bluerunner

The game is bad, but I don't think I've laughed as hard playing any other game as I have with Driv3r. I still have a copy, even though I don't have an original Xbox anymore. One of these days I'll pick up another one just to play it again.

I'm wanting to play it again too now! I miss that drawbridge in Miami you had to activate then run to your car to drive off the incline.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 06:10 (3939 days ago) @ bluerunner

Not quite as ridiculous, but in the new Need for Speed Most Wanted, you can build up the cops chasing you and by doing simple jumps and ramps, they will spawn behind you doing 150mph.

I have some footage of cops flying into buildings, slam dunking my car from above, and general shenanigans. I need to edit that into a video sometime.

MW2

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, July 19, 2013, 14:48 (3937 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Liking this game is pure shame. It bring out my inner 12 year old. Put that back in the tray last weekend with a friend. Two highlights:

The map Skid Row. Camping our favorite building. I'm lobbing grenades out the window (One Man Army FTW) and he's sniping people through a hole in the wall. After a few kills, I hear from him, 'Just like old times, eh Shepard?'

Finally pulled off a First Blood kill on Wasteland with the n00b tube. Lobbed that sucker up, explosion, host rage quits. 18 months away, and I pull that off my first night back.

What an absurdly hilarious game.

WOLVERINES!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, July 19, 2013, 15:22 (3937 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

WOLVERINES!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 06:11 (3936 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Now I'm gonna have to replay the single player. Curse you, Grizzlei! ;)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread