Hope is a wonderful thing *OT* (Off-Topic)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 15, 2013, 16:55 (3941 days ago)

Completely off-topic, but this was too amusing to not post (cross-posted on HBO, since I don't know where folks lurk these days):

Today I found something I've been searching for over the years and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a little more than I expected (watch, you'll see):
The MacTiques Road Show (MacAddict, April 2001)

Background: There was a magazine in the 90's called MacAddict, and they used to ship a CD "coverdisc" along with every issue. The disc was loaded with shareware and demos, but also had a Staff Video feature every month. One particular video was a favorite of mine, "The MacTiques Road Show", which was a play on "The Antiques Road Show" on PBS. After years of intermittent searching, I finally found the episode today in a disc image uploaded to The Internet Archive.

I had zero idea that Frankie was in this video until I watched it today, but after all this time I think the cameo was even better than the actual episode!

Hope is a wonderful thing *OT*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 15, 2013, 17:06 (3941 days ago) @ Beorn

Loved MacAddict back in the day. The disks not only had a ton of shareware and the staff videos they had a ridiculous application you could run if you wanted to that had all manner of silly custom UI's and sound effects that happily impeded your attempt to get to said software and videos. The MacAddict disk was where I first got my demos of Myth II and Oni. Such a cool concept made irrelevant by the rise of the internet. :(

My experience exactly!

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 07:38 (3940 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Monday, July 15, 2013, 18:25 (3941 days ago) @ Beorn

Completely off-topic, but this was too amusing to not post (cross-posted on HBO, since I don't know where folks lurk these days):

Today I found something I've been searching for over the years and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a little more than I expected (watch, you'll see):
The MacTiques Road Show (MacAddict, April 2001)

Background: There was a magazine in the 90's called MacAddict, and they used to ship a CD "coverdisc" along with every issue. The disc was loaded with shareware and demos, but also had a Staff Video feature every month. One particular video was a favorite of mine, "The MacTiques Road Show", which was a play on "The Antiques Road Show" on PBS. After years of intermittent searching, I finally found the episode today in a disc image uploaded to The Internet Archive.

I had zero idea that Frankie was in this video until I watched it today, but after all this time I think the cameo was even better than the actual episode!

I had absolutely no clue he ever worked for that mag. I used to read that mag!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 15, 2013, 19:25 (3940 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, July 15, 2013, 19:35

I had absolutely no clue he ever worked for that mag. I used to read that mag!

I spend like 2 weeks downloading Marathon Evil in floppy sized chunks (we had but one phone line), and them BAM. Next month's MacAddict had it on the disc.

Fun fact: I had a letter published in Macaddict. Why didn't I save them?!

Adobe LE was pretty funny :-p

loved that mag

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 03:06 (3940 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 12:00 (3940 days ago) @ Beorn

Heh, funny how things turn out. It's like seeing Jack Nicholson on the Andy Griffith show.

I loved MacAddict. I bought the first issue, and subscribed for five or six years at least.

Their cover stories almost always included a number. 57 crazy hacks to fine tune your Mac!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread