Video Game Live

by Risay117, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 19:11 (3933 days ago)

Video Games Live

I will say i will not be able to see the whole thing as i might be gone, can someone record it for me.

Thanks?

Plus discuss the performance and how it is.

Video Game Live

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 20:34 (3933 days ago) @ Risay117

The World of Warcraft music was freaking beautiful! Looking forward to more :)

Video Game Live

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 20:47 (3933 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Loving the bass guitar in the Monkey Island piece!

Video Game Live

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 20:56 (3933 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Journey!!! Dat opening cello! I've had this soundtrack, though I've yet to play the game. Beautiful music.

Oh boy!!!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 21:14 (3933 days ago) @ Mr Daax

He's talking about Bungie. Saying big words like World Premiere. Here come Marty and Mike! Marty's looking sharp :)

Flinstone's jingle and Mr Clean :)

Classic Halo theme! Chills!!!

Here it comes!!!

Woah...that was amazing! Some similiar stuff in there that we've already heard, but this was like an extended version of that with a good bit of music we haven't heard yet. French Horns and Oboes stood out for me, beautiful voices, some chills. During the whole performance I had a grin on my face the Joker would be proud of. Excellent job Marty!

Oh boy!!!

by Oholiab @, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 21:24 (3933 days ago) @ Mr Daax

He's talking about Bungie. Saying big words like World Premiere. Here come Marty and Mike! Marty's looking sharp :)

Here it comes!!!

Woah...that was amazing! Some similiar stuff in there that we've already heard, but this was like an extended version of that with a good bit of music we haven't heard yet. French Horns and Oboes stood out for me, beautiful voices, some chills. During the whole performance I had a grin on my face the Joker would be proud of. Excellent job Marty!

Oh wow, you've no idea how disappointed I am to have had to miss this. Glad it was good, and I really hope it makes it out to the Interwebs in the near future!

Oh boy!!!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 21:44 (3933 days ago) @ Oholiab

Oh wow, you've no idea how disappointed I am to have had to miss this. Glad it was good, and I really hope it makes it out to the Interwebs in the near future!

I'm sure the internet will figure it out. I'd love to hear it again ;)

+infinitude

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 20, 2013, 21:50 (3933 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Watch the Twitch Replay

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 01:10 (3932 days ago) @ ZackDark

Reddit post with link and time.

(I guess I just discovered what Twitch is.)

Thanks so much for that link!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 04:25 (3932 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

wow

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 09:45 (3932 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Loved that last epic minute of the performance.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 13:58 (3932 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Oh boy!!!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 22:22 (3933 days ago) @ Oholiab

Here it comes!!!

Damn, make that two of us. C'mon, internet!

Marty's music

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 20, 2013, 21:09 (3933 days ago) @ Risay117

My god, Marty's music...

Absolutely magical.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Saturday, July 20, 2013, 21:12 (3933 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Video Game Live

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 09:09 (3932 days ago) @ Risay117

Someone already ripped the Marty & Mike interview and the Destiny music and put it on youtube, found here:

music: http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/1iqvra/the_interview_with_martymike_and_the_musical/

interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNytXWMCFhI

Clues, eh? Zoinks!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 14:25 (3932 days ago) @ marmot 1333

music: http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/1iqvra/the_interview_with_martymike_and_the_musical/

Thanks. So this was the second movement (The Union) from Music of The Spheres? I'll have to sit down with the recording sometime and see if I can remember any of my music theory.

Clues, eh? Zoinks!

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Monday, July 22, 2013, 07:11 (3931 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Thanks. So this was the second movement (The Union) from Music of The Spheres? I'll have to sit down with the recording sometime and see if I can remember any of my music theory.

I think I'll wait until they release the album and I can get a clean copy of the recording. I was already excited about the album to begin with. Digging through the music for clues just ratcheted that excitement up a few notches! :)

Clues, eh? Zoinks!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, July 22, 2013, 12:50 (3931 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

I think I'll wait until they release the album and I can get a clean copy of the recording. I was already excited about the album to begin with. Digging through the music for clues just ratcheted that excitement up a few notches! :)

Yeah, that's probably a better idea. I can't wait!

Cheers to Marty and Co. for giving us music nerds something to do. ;)

Video Game Live

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 10:09 (3926 days ago) @ marmot 1333

here's a direct link to the video with the music, in case someone does't want to or can't get to it through Reddit

Shanks coming out of a Devil Walker

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 12:01 (3932 days ago) @ Risay117
edited by Xenos, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 12:07

Rewatching the video today I noticed a shank coming out of the Devil Walker in the video behind the concert! Looks like MoreConsole saw it to, you can see it in his video here (it's easier to find in his video than in the other video):

Noticed that too! Looked like little Hornets.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 14:36 (3932 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

You Shank my battleship for the last time Trebek

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, July 21, 2013, 22:35 (3932 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Shanks coming out of a Devil Walker

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 04:53 (3930 days ago) @ Xenos

I believe I saw it in some of the E3 demo analysis videos, but not with the same detail/EXTREME CLOSE UP that they provided with the orchestral video.

Video Game Live

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 22:45 (3930 days ago) @ Risay117

Watched this with the kids after dinner tonight, and they loved it. I got to explain what a music director does, the importance of music in enhancing a game, the talent it takes to capture an idea musically, etc. Also had to explain "Flintstones kids"...

At the end, my son says, "That was amazing! Those two old guys came up with that?"

I'm sorry, Marty and Mike! (And Sir Paul!)

...and yet you shared.

by MartyTheElder, Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 14:51 (3929 days ago) @ Oholiab

Apparently not sorry enough.

Video Game Live

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, July 28, 2013, 16:49 (3925 days ago) @ Risay117
edited by General Vagueness, Sunday, July 28, 2013, 17:10

I didn't like it, really. I'm about to give it a second listen, just for consideration and because it was noisy when I listened the first time....
Yeah, it's not bad, but it's not really good either. Overall it sounds a lot like a movie theme that's trying to be classy and epic, and tries really hard and goes over the top a little. A bunch of parts, pieces, and elements seemed familiar, mostly not in a good way, but one small section (maybe a second long, featuring low notes from brass instruments I think) seemed reminiscent of Halo, and a few parts or elements near the end (the end of the sixth minute and parts of the seventh minute, I think) kind of seemed like a continuation of some of what he was doing with ODST.
It really doesn't feel good to say this because Marty actually pretty much gave me exactly what I asked for: more violins and more wordless chanting.

Video Game Live

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, July 28, 2013, 17:08 (3925 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I think I might in the future. There's no context yet. When I hear Rock Anthem for Saving the World I immediately think of the spiraling battle up out of the cartographer. Devil's Monsters is The Flood. On A Pale Horse means scan the skies for Banshees. On and on I can listen to the first few notes of many Halo songs and be transported to the corresponding battle or scene. Destiny's music doesn't do that yet…

Except for Law of the Jungle. It feels epic all on its own, but it also has the context backing it up. Both Eighth and the Ronut music are nice but I don't get as much out of them. I wonder what it'll be like having Music of the Spheres without that key context. Further I anticipate how cool it will be hearing the music in context for the first time as I play through Destiny.

Video Game Live

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, July 28, 2013, 17:21 (3925 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I think I might in the future. There's no context yet. When I hear Rock Anthem for Saving the World I immediately think of the spiraling battle up out of the cartographer. Devil's Monsters is The Flood. On A Pale Horse means scan the skies for Banshees. On and on I can listen to the first few notes of many Halo songs and be transported to the corresponding battle or scene. Destiny's music doesn't do that yet…

Except for Law of the Jungle. It feels epic all on its own, but it also has the context backing it up. Both Eighth and the Ronut music are nice but I don't get as much out of them. I wonder what it'll be like having Music of the Spheres without that key context. Further I anticipate how cool it will be hearing the music in context for the first time as I play through Destiny.

I thought most of Halo's music was good or great independently of context. I'm pretty sure I liked some of the music before I played any of the games. I know when I first fired up Halo 1 I was intrigued and I listened to it for a while with no context except the back of the box, the manual, and the title screen, and I decided I liked it (a lot) pretty quickly. There have been plenty of times where I couldn't remember what part of one of the games went with a song but I remembered the song and I liked it, the first time through and listening again.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread