Thoughts on Completing Heroic WotM (spoilers) (Destiny)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 13:03 (2747 days ago)

I'm curious how others dealt with the Heroic mode changes to Wrath of the Machine last night; I'm sure there's better strategies out there already.

Vosik Part One:
We cut down to a single runner, with two guardians left, two right and one center. We had defender Titans (Weapons of Light) on either side. During the DPS phase, the runner would go to left or right to grab the weapons buff (so 5 guardians would have the buff). The center guardian would throw all the bombs from the center. Two hunters fired their tethers one after another during DPS.

Vosik Part Two:
We decided to have everyone throw bombs simultaneously. We took a few extra seconds before counting down to "3, 2, 1, Throw" to give ourselves more time to clear adds. Survival was prioritized over getting 6 bombs away - if a bomb was in a tough spot we'd leave it and do another cycle of adds. We used voidwalkers on left and right for quick captain clears, defender titans in the center for the Weapons of Light buff for everyone, and sequential tethers. No issues with the stronger monitors and sliding under the doors.

Another strategy I haven't tried is to have 3 throwers and 3 on add control/captains. The throwers will need to retrieve the far SIVA cluster and move to stand on top of the other cluster for this to work - they need to throw, pick up, and throw again as quickly as possible.

Siege Engine Part One:
No changes; two snipers and four controlling adds. One tether and one storm caller for add control.

Siege Engine Part Two:
It's counter intuitive, but slow and steady wins the race here - survival and clearing adds is much more important than rushing. We popped a blessing bubble in the center (below where the second drop ship arrives) before killing the Captain, and used a storm caller for a quick captain kill. We moved all the parts close to the bubble (over the right side rails), and used the bubble for cover while killing adds. We focused on dropping enemies before moving the parts forward, and used another blessing bubble at the next intersection. When the Walker dropped, we hung back and killed it from a distance with cover, then sent two guardians up to kill the captain while four moved parts to the ramp.

Aksis Part One:
The turrets are evil and will kill you; call out when they activate. Voidwalkers left and right for quick Captain kills, with rockets for backup. The turret will revive about the same time the captain dies. It's ok to use a cannon shot to kill a turret, and ok to use another killing the center Captain. For some reason this phase was the biggest challenge in our second run through - the turrets kept interfering with our timing and made recovering from a death nearly impossible.

Aksis Part Two:
We spent some time trying to get the "supercharge" mechanic down, but ultimately it was just one too many things to worry about and not needed for DPS. Voidwalkers left and right for quick Captain kills. The center is pretty deadly - the "kill everything with a sword" approach wasn't working, so we used a nighthawk golden gun to kill the center captain (leaving a single tether for the DPS phase). Regular callouts on the Servitor locations were necessary to assist the cannoneers. If one side had two empowered guardians, we sent the cannoneer to cover the gap just as with normal mode.

I know there was a least one other XBox team and a PS4 team running last night - what did you guys do differently?

Xbox Team 2 Strategy

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 13:17 (2747 days ago) @ Chappy

Vosik: Phase 1
Not much of a change here. We stuck with one runner and one add killer on each side and two in the middle. Easy peasy.

Vosik: Phase 2
We aimed for 6 simultaneous throws and didn't have too much trouble with that. Captains weren't too much of an issue either. Adds ate our lunch, though. In the end, our strategy was "smash head into wall repeatedly for 3 hours, then give up."

-Disciple

Came to post this... was not disappointed

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 13:23 (2747 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

Alternate Vosik Strategy

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 14:56 (2747 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

We only had three throwers, throwing two bombs each. It required an extra add phase but an extra add phase with three people focused just on killing was infinitely preferable to one fewer with people getting annihilated by adds.

I predict the Challenge mode will require everyone to throw the same number of bombs though.

Xbox Team 2 Strategy

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 15:15 (2747 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Vosik: Phase 1
Not much of a change here. We stuck with one runner and one add killer on each side and two in the middle. Easy peasy.

Vosik: Phase 2
We aimed for 6 simultaneous throws and didn't have too much trouble with that. Captains weren't too much of an issue either. Adds ate our lunch, though. In the end, our strategy was "smash head into wall repeatedly for 3 hours, then give up."

-Disciple

We had a single callout for each side. The further-back Charge holder would keep an eye on his partner and call out when both had the Charge.
We did learn that you can hold on to some charges for extra damage on the boss once enough took his shield down, though that ultimately proved risky, and almost wiped us:

But yeh, you don't need every bomb thrown, so play it safe if you need to and definitely kill those Captains first).

Biggest difference for team 2.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 13:20 (2747 days ago) @ Chappy

Failing miserably took precedence over anything else.

Thoughts on Completing Heroic WotM (spoilers)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 14:42 (2747 days ago) @ Chappy

I'm curious how others dealt with the Heroic mode changes to Wrath of the Machine last night; I'm sure there's better strategies out there already.

Vosik Part One:

We basically changed nothing.

Vosik Part Two:

We did something similar. On the sides, one person would be ahead and the other back. The front person would grab their bomb first, the back person would take out a few ads, then grab their bomb. The back person would then call that the side is ready, and all of us threw at the same time. Voidwall grenades worked okay, but smoke was best for keeping the ads off.

Siege Engine Part Two:

We just went a bit slower as well. Still got the record book achievement though.

Aksis Part One:

Yeah, definitely take out the turret a second time before going for the captain. After that, the thrower can take care of it pretty easily when it appears.

Aksis Part Two:

No nighthawks. Smoke works well to stun the captain, then sword to clean up. As for the middle, you can watch Munky's video. The supercharge mechanic was likewise unneeded, but simply a bonus.

Captains

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 15:03 (2747 days ago) @ Chappy

You really ought not need supers to kill the captains. Just have at least one person on each side running rockets or swords. Middle either bombard him with rockets/sleeper or wait for someone else to cannon him.

Thoughts on Completing Heroic WotM (spoilers)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 17:03 (2747 days ago) @ Chappy

The folks I did it with ended up completing He Zamboni with 41 seconds to spare after I fell through geometry at the start and another guy gut tagged halfway through. You do not need to kill the tank. If you kill Mekis or whoever that drops the ramp and knock a leg down, you have more than enough time to walk the parts past the tank.

Can I just gush for a minute?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 20:10 (2747 days ago) @ Chappy

I love this raid. LOVE love it. I think it is brilliantly well put together, particularly in some key ways that we'll appreciate more and more down the road. After a few weeks of running VoG, Crota, or especially KF, most raid groups had worked out the best loadout combos for each encounter. Sometimes there would be a certain amount of flexibility, other times it an encounter would require very specific weapons (don't even think about attempting Golgoroth with shotguns and rocket launchers, for example).

But with WotM, you can go into any of the encounters with almost any conceivable loadout and contribute in a meaningful way. You need to plan things out and balance everything across the entire fireteam, but there is just so much room for experimenting with different tactics and playstyles.

Can I just gush for a minute?

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 20:22 (2747 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I agree so much with almost everything you said here. Though I feel that VoG was still quite flexible for most encounters. This raid feeling the most like VoG in structure probably helps that for me. But I do have to ask if the Golgoroth part is trolling. I've never been in a team where shotguns or rockets were ised during that fight. I suppose it might be fun, as I believe shotguns were intended for the fight, but yeah.

I think you misread?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 20:27 (2747 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Definite misread

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 20:54 (2747 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Can confirm.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 22:31 (2747 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Ive never been able to use such stupid guns in a raid before

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 20:26 (2747 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's great!

Then why did everyone make fun of my Hand Cannon?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 23:58 (2747 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Who had the last laugh, eh? :P

Yeh, I've run the raid with every kind of weapon except Fusion Rifles, and I've never had a problem contributing. Shotguns have been silly fun, Auto Rifles have been good add droppers, and quite a few Exotics have a place to shine.

Real good stuff.
I'm glad that Hard Mode isn't inherently more limiting when it comes to loadouts. I'll definitely be looking forward to more runs.

I ran my entire second playthrough with the Handcannon

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 07:50 (2746 days ago) @ Korny

10k damage on a non-Major headahot, and one-shot Shank kills. Done.

Then Sniper/MG for Vosik 1, Sleeper/Chunker (I really love that IB shotgun) for Vosik-2, Gjally/Chunk (and Dunemarchers!) for Zamboni and Aksis-1, Spindle and Raid Rockets for Aksis-2.

I ran my entire second playthrough with the Handcannon

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 12:02 (2746 days ago) @ someotherguy

10k damage on a non-Major headahot, and one-shot Shank kills. Done.

Then Sniper/MG for Vosik 1, Sleeper/Chunker (I really love that IB shotgun) for Vosik-2, Gjally/Chunk (and Dunemarchers!) for Zamboni and Aksis-1, Spindle and Raid Rockets for Aksis-2.

Before I got Outbreak Prime, my Free Will III with Firefly and Luck in the Chamber was my go-to primary for the raid. Worked beautifully well!

Raid theme - Move!

by Durandal, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 14:10 (2746 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

VoG - Shoot all the things, preferably from far away!
CE - Hold my Gjallerhorn and watch this!
TTK - Stand here, then here, now DPS!!! Why are you DEAD! for the love of ... sigh, just wipe.
WotM - Throw bombs and run around!

I spent 90% of my Destiny time throwing bombs

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 20, 2016, 14:28 (2746 days ago) @ Durandal

I absolutely LOVE this Raid.

Throwing bombs and dunking are top tier raid moments.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 18:12 (2746 days ago) @ ZackDark

Rivaled only by the tombship jumping puzzle of KF and the bridge encounter during Crota.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread