Pictures from space probes *sOT*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:37 (3936 days ago)

Hey, Bungie, are we going to see Earth from Saturn?

[image]

Take away the arrow, and I think this is my favorite picture of all time.

Yeah, the arrow totally kills it...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:45 (3936 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

But please, Bungie, do let us see that sight for ourselves in Destiny.

You know you can look things up on the internet, right?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 20:10 (3935 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Here you go. :)

It's incredible, but I think I still like this more. Even without Carl Sagan talking about it. If the Cassini image has an advantage, it's that it makes better skybox fuel.

You know you can look things up on the internet, right?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 09:04 (3935 days ago) @ uberfoop

Here you go. :)

Nice! Thanks. You've helped my laziness. ;)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 20:22 (3935 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm actually surprised we're that visible. What a fantastic image.

Yeah, that shot doesn't make much sense

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 21:07 (3935 days ago) @ stabbim

I mean, if Sol is behind the camera, then Earth shouldn't be in front. If Sol isn't, well, we shouldn't be that bright, should we?

I wonder if they can find an angle where all/at least three of the 4 inner planets show up, you know, for reference. And awe. Mostly awe.

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 22:06 (3935 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

[image]

this is a composite of Cassini images from 2010, and my favorite picture. The blue dot in the top left of the outside ring is the Earth!

Awed beyond words

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 22:47 (3935 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

- No text -

Awed beyond words

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 09:05 (3935 days ago) @ ZackDark

That's be a pretty place to live.

by roland ⌂ @, Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 17:02 (3935 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

We also sent a rover to Mars and had it take a picture of itself with a 5 1/2 km (18,000 ft) tall mountain in the background, which, personally I find pretty amazing :)

[image]

Oh yeah, it also drilled two holes into some rocks.

^GINORMOUS IMG ^

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 17:18 (3934 days ago) @ roland

- No text -

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 17:19 (3934 days ago) @ roland

Gorgeous little fella, ain't she?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 10:56 (3932 days ago) @ ZackDark

Gorgeous little fella, ain't she?

How does that work? (Do I want to know?)

What do you mean?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 27, 2013, 14:24 (3932 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

What do you mean?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 15:47 (3932 days ago) @ ZackDark

I believe he is referring to the use of the male noun "fella" combined with the female pronoun "she."

What do you mean?

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:00 (3931 days ago) @ Xenos

I believe he is referring to the use of the male noun "fella" combined with the female pronoun "she."

I'm not sure if 'fella' is exactly male-specific. Is it?

Either way, "gorgeous little fella, isn't she" sounds okay to me.

Vale,
Perseus

What do you mean?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:13 (3931 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I'm not sure if 'fella' is exactly male-specific. Is it?

Indeed you are right by dictionary definition, but colloquially it is usually used as a male noun in my experience.

Makes Sense

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 21:39 (3931 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Huh, did not know that

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, July 28, 2013, 13:54 (3931 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

What do you mean?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, July 29, 2013, 06:17 (3930 days ago) @ Xenos

And here I was hoping he meant, 'How does Curiosity take a picture of itself?'

What do you mean?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 29, 2013, 07:09 (3930 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I actually wondered if that's what he meant, but if it is he posted and quoted the wrong message *shrugs* I guess we'l never know... since we couldn't ask General Vagueness, that would just be ridiculous.

What do you mean?

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, July 29, 2013, 13:02 (3930 days ago) @ Xenos

I actually wondered if that's what he meant, but if it is he posted and quoted the wrong message *shrugs* I guess we'l never know... since we couldn't ask General Vagueness, that would just be ridiculous.

:) Well, since you're curious...

Curiosity's arm is about 2 meters long, so when it's stretched out in front of the rover and the camera is pointed backward (like taking a selfie) you can see either some of the rover, the surrounding terrain, or both in each image. The arm "poses" were designed so that the arm itself could be digitally removed from the final mosaic because the underlying terrain would be imaged from all the various camera angles. After all the images were taken they were stitched together and geometrically warped so you could see the whole rover exactly as she would look (minus the big arm sticking out) in her parking spot on Mars (a place called Yellowknife Bay where we drilled the first two holes into the surface of another planet).

But don't just take my word for it. National Geographic ran a story that explains the whole thing and even includes a movie that shows a simulation of how the rover acquired all the pictures.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/121204-curiosity-mars-rover-portrait-science-space/

Awesome!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 29, 2013, 13:07 (3930 days ago) @ roland

- No text -

A gold star to you, sir.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 14:54 (3927 days ago) @ roland

- No text -

What do you mean?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 07:28 (3927 days ago) @ Xenos

I knew about Curiosity's camera on an extendable arm. I did mean combining "fella" and "she". I know "fellow" can be used in an official capacity for a member of certain kinds (maybe any kind?) of organization but it's just as common if not more common for it to refer to a man, and I've never heard or seen "fella" used to refer to a female.

You guys gotta remember English is not my mother language

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 01, 2013, 09:02 (3927 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I'm totally encouraged to make such 'mistakes'.

=p

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 14:56 (3927 days ago) @ ZackDark

=p

You're Brazilian, yeah? If so, I assume your first language is Portugese? Does that language do the male/female thing a la Spanish? 'Fello' vs. 'fella' you could say? I'm terribly ignorant in these matters.

Or was that just a sexy joke?

I'm pretty ignorant there, too.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 01, 2013, 15:05 (3927 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

=p

You're Brazilian, yeah? If so, I assume your first language is Portugese? Does that language do the male/female thing a la Spanish? 'Fello' vs. 'fella' you could say? I'm terribly ignorant in these matters.

None of the options above. While we do genderize words by placing 'o' or 'a' at their ends, I wasn't trying to do that at all. Nor was I joking.

I turned to the feminine gender both because of its name (Curiosity) and because it is a vehicle, which I understand are both usually referred as 'she' in American culture, right? The use of the term 'fella' (as in casual 'fellow') sprung from my inability to come up with any other short term at the time that wouldn't detract the intensity of the word 'gorgeous'.

=)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 16:20 (3927 days ago) @ ZackDark

=p

None of the options above. While we do genderize words by placing 'o' or 'a' at their ends, I wasn't trying to do that at all. Nor was I joking.

I turned to the feminine gender both because of its name (Curiosity) and because it is a vehicle, which I understand are both usually referred as 'she' in American culture, right? The use of the term 'fella' (as in casual 'fellow') sprung from my inability to come up with any other short term at the time that wouldn't detract the intensity of the word 'gorgeous'.

=)

interesting
The tradition is for vehicles (but mainly ships) to be referred to as female, which I think is common in western Europe and countries settled by people from there; in the modern US it's more of a mark of someone who takes ships really seriously. What about "Curiosity" said "feminine" to you?
also SoMP, you should take up learning another language... I could tell you about mental benefits or getting new perspective, but honestly I mostly think it's a good idea for everyone and personally it's a really good feeling overcoming unfamiliar grammar, syntax, conjugation, etc.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 10:56 (3932 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Hey, Bungie, are we going to see Earth from Saturn?

[image]

Take away the arrow, and I think this is my favorite picture of all time.

Without the arrow or a caption or some kind of outside information, how is anyone supposed to (fully) know what they're looking at?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 11:07 (3932 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Without the arrow or a caption or some kind of outside information, how is anyone supposed to (fully) know what they're looking at?

They're not, but that's where the ability to post two versions of the same image on the internet comes into play.

WHEN DID THAT BECOME AN OPTION?!?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:03 (3932 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread