Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are $35 Today! (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 12:58 (2727 days ago)

Both games are $35 each at Target, today only.

I hear great things about Battlefield 1, and I've already talked about why Titanfall 2 is one of my favorite games ever, so if you've been on the fence about either game today might be a good day to jump on them!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-1-and-titanfall-2-are-35-right-now/1100-6445303/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are $35 Today!

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 13:41 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Would you say the single player campaign, as good and short as it is, is worth the $35 alone?

- MacGyver10

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 13:44 (2727 days ago) @ MacGyver10

Would you say the single player campaign, as good and short as it is, is worth the $35 alone?

- MacGyver10

The exact question I have. I hear good things about both campaigns (and Infinite War's, too), but I'm still thinking I'll wait until next year when they're $20 or less. I don't think I'd even touch the multiplayer components of any of the games.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 13:53 (2727 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- MacGyver10

The exact question I have. I hear good things about both campaigns (and Infinite War's, too), but I'm still thinking I'll wait until next year when they're $20 or less. I don't think I'd even touch the multiplayer components of any of the games.

I'm in the same boat. I bought Titanfall 1 hoping that I would love Multiplayer. I got bored with it after 1 day.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 13:57 (2727 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm in the same boat. I bought Titanfall 1 hoping that I would love Multiplayer. I got bored with it after 1 day.

I definitely think the Multiplayer is improved significantly from the first game, but still may not be your cup of tea (you can try it with me and Breitzen though!). I definitely think the campaign is worth playing (I've beat it 2-3 times already), but it's only about 10 hours long so if you think a great 10 hour campaign is worth $35 I'd pull the trigger.

exact same experience here

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 14:25 (2727 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- MacGyver10

Made a post below, but... I'd say that maybe Yes.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 14:33 (2727 days ago) @ MacGyver10

- MacGyver10

Knowing Cruel, he'll definitely say that it is.

I think it's a really fun campaign, and though I've only played through it 1.8 times, I still had plans ti play it again. The vast majority of Trophies/Cheevos are single-player, and most aren't that difficult to get.
As someone who didn't really like the first game, and who isn't willing to get the whole package for $60, I would say that you should definitely pick the game up for $35.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 14:50 (2727 days ago) @ MacGyver10

- MacGyver10

I find those kinds of questions really tough to answer. For me, absolutely. But I'm also at a point in my life where I prefer games to be on the short side. I don't have loads of spare time anymore, so 4-5 hours of some of the best FPS gameplay I've ever seen is easily worth $35 for me. But I can totally see how some people would feel otherwise.

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 19:38 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I bought a copy. $35 won't break the bank right now and I've been itching for a new Xbox game to tide me over till Halo Wars 2 and Scalebound. Thanks for your input, thoughts and initial news!

- MacGyver10

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 15:51 (2727 days ago) @ MacGyver10

Did you play Wolf The New Order or Doom? It's good like those were good but shorter. Probably got some replay once you know the levels a bit more too and can screw around.

Might I add...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 14:27 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Both games are $35 each at Target, today only.

I hear great things about Battlefield 1, and I've already talked about why Titanfall 2 is one of my favorite games ever, so if you've been on the fence about either game today might be a good day to jump on them!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-1-and-titanfall-2-are-35-right-now/1100-6445303/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

As much as I seemed to bash the campaign's shortcomings, it's definitely one of my favorite campaigns of the year, and this spoilery Kotaku article highlights some of the masterful storytelling and gameplay-building techniques that Respawn employed in the game.

Before I ran out of time with the game, I was playing through the campaign on Master difficulty, and while I didn't get to complete the final three missions, I was reminded of playing the first Modern Warfare game on Veteran difficulty, where you have to outwit the game rather than hunch behind a piece of cover for minutes on end. it was really great (enough that I'd add a bonus point to the campaign score for avoiding fake difficulty and still being a genuine challenge to get through).

PS. You wanna know my favorite trope aversion in the game? There is a segment where you have to hold out against waves of enemies while you wait for something to charge up to 100%; never seen that before, huh?... Except that you don't have to kill a single enemy. The thing really is charging up in the background, and you just have to survive long enough to do it, which on Master difficulty, I did by Wallrunning under the map for about five minutes straight while Ticks kept chasing me. Exhilarating stuff.

PS. The multiplayer is pretty dang okay, and they won't be charging for any upcoming expansions, which is a plus.

by peaksutah, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:06 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Thanks for the tip. Bought Titanfall 2.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:17 (2727 days ago) @ peaksutah

Thanks for the tip. Bought Titanfall 2.

Monday night reunion? ;p

Fine. Bought your stupid game and will probably like it.

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:40 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by slycrel, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:50

- No text -

YAAAAY!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:52 (2727 days ago) @ slycrel

One of us! One of us! ;p

lol

by peaksutah, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 17:29 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

soon, very soon

by peaksutah, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 17:29 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm open on 11/21

Amazon also.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:14 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Picked up titanfall PS4 (but I'm really growing to think the PS4 controller is causing my hands to hurt. )

Amazon also. (Physical copy only)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:53 (2727 days ago) @ Vortech

Picked up titanfall PS4 (but I'm really growing to think the PS4 controller is causing my hands to hurt. )

I think it's funny that the physical copy is on sale but not the digital. Either way, I'm now part of the crowd

Shoot

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 17:19 (2727 days ago) @ Vortech

I just placed the order with Target and it won't let me cancel. I would have much rather had the prime shipping. Oh well. Who knows when I'll actually get around to playing it anyway.

-Disciple

But, it comes with a disc!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:50 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Edit: Someone convince me that having to deal with it being on physical media is worth it.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 16:57 (2727 days ago) @ dogcow

Install game. Themed coaster.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 17:08 (2727 days ago) @ dogcow

Edit: Someone convince me that having to deal with it being on physical media is worth it.

You'll get to play this amazing game with me and Sly and Peaks and Vortech and everyone else who picked it up ;)

good enough reason for me. :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, November 10, 2016, 18:34 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 18:47 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You'll get to play this amazing game with me and Sly and Peaks and Vortech and everyone else who picked it up on the PS4 ;)

Fixed that for you.

But if you want to play with the cool kids, hop on XBone.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 20:08 (2727 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

You'll get to play this amazing game with me and Sly and Peaks and Vortech and everyone else who picked it up on the PS4 ;)

Fixed that for you.

But if you want to play with the cool kids, hop on XBone.

Dammit, I really am this close to buying the game on Xbox as well just so I can play with ALL TEH PEOPLEZ!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 18:55 (2727 days ago) @ dogcow

Do you think you'd be able to hold on to an e-book for 30 years to someday read to your kid?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 18:58 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you think you'd be able to hold on to an e-book for 30 years to someday read to your kid?

Do you think kids will be reading physical books 30 years from now?

And I say this as someone carefully collecting my favorite books in a growing library.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 19:19 (2727 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Ahah I do actually.

I'm not sure we will be using our eyes or ears

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 11, 2016, 12:54 (2726 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To process words in 30 years. It's a terribly inefficient way to process information.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 20:08 (2727 days ago) @ kidtsunami

And I say this as someone carefully collecting my favorite books in a growing library.

I don't know about that, but I almost certainly won't be playing any current videogames 30 years from now :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 20:13 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't know about that, but I almost certainly won't be playing any current videogames 30 years from now :)

I played through Mario 3 today on my NES.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 20:25 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't know how you do it. I can't go back :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 20:42 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't know how you do it. I can't go back :)

2D games tend to fare much better over time.

truth

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 20:44 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have an atari 2600 that I still bust out here and there.

Many games don't hold up. A few totally do and are jsut as fun as they've ever been. Adventure, River Raid, Kaboom!, breakout, others. Good times.

Depends on the display

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 23:40 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Depends on the display

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 11, 2016, 01:55 (2727 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Oh yeah, this is true!

I keep a CRT SDTV around to play old games, but is completely baffles me how wrong so many people get it when it comes to ports and conversions. It's unfortunately rare to see ports of 2D games on modern systems get the scaling and filtering right. It can be done though. Megaman Legacy collection looks great. Megaman 9 and 10 on the other hand, look like shit on an HDTV.

How to feel about You Have To Win The Game by PirateHearts

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 11, 2016, 12:52 (2726 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Purely from a "capturing an aesthetic" perspective.

Here

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 11, 2016, 19:47 (2726 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, November 11, 2016, 19:52

Purely from a "capturing an aesthetic" perspective.

Here

I very much dislike games which seek to capture a 'retro' aesthetic. Often it's not even gotten right: they do it wrong and just use low res pixel art, forgetting that there were limitations on color palate and sprite count. But the biggest thing that I hate is that it was a style forced by hardware limitation. We don't have those limitations anymore. So fucking use your 16.7 million colors, 1080p frame buffers, and memory pool that allows for more animation frames. Give us gorgeous images. Move forward, not back.

Double Fine goes from giving us something that looks great (but unfortunately didn't move great) like Broken Age, and now is going back to 16 colors with Thimbleweed Park. Disgraceful and backwards.

Filters that curve the screen or add scan lines blow by the way. It doesn't approximate what it really looked like at all and just looks like shit.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, November 11, 2016, 20:15 (2726 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think pixel art can be a fun aesthetic. (Although rapidly becoming trite by presumption) And the fact that it was born out of limitations in medium doesn't really bother me any more than a black-and-white photo after color film was invented bothers me. Sometimes the limitations lead you to something good.

But I absolutely agree with you about scanlines and fake "static" on digital televisions when it can't find an input and photo "filters" that make things look like they were processed 30 years ago by someone that didn't know how photography worked. These were not happy accidents. These were just problems.

Haha I hate it too, but you continually surprise me

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, November 12, 2016, 15:02 (2725 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Also I thought thimbleweed park was just a Ron Gilbert thing, he no longer works at double fine. Dude is going to wallow in his glory days forever.

Yes...?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 10, 2016, 19:34 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 10, 2016, 19:41 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I certainly don't expect to hold on to an optical disc all this time, that's for sure. :p

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 10, 2016, 21:01 (2727 days ago) @ dogcow

Have you ever played "The Act?".

You can't play it anymore. It's gone. Off the app store. I doubt you can find an arcade machine anymore. There's one in the International Arcade Museum, but where else?

And it's a shame, because it's 1000x better than Dragon's Lair and actually kind of works as a video game, not to mention being gorgeous. But you can't play it because it's never been on a disc.

Not entirely true

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 11, 2016, 00:58 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I could potentially equal this argument with you losing the disc and no one pressing the disc anymore. I assume the difference is you could always buy it from someone else, which is similar to someone else keeping the digital data stored somehow and selling to you at a later point in time.

Not entirely true

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 11, 2016, 01:52 (2727 days ago) @ ZackDark

I could potentially equal this argument with you losing the disc and no one pressing the disc anymore. I assume the difference is you could always buy it from someone else, which is similar to someone else keeping the digital data stored somehow and selling to you at a later point in time.

I think it's much easier to find a used disc based copy of a game. In particular, the workings on the app store make it impossible to give people your games.

Really depends on the game

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 11, 2016, 02:03 (2727 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I find optical discs far less reliable the farther away in time you go. Cartridges, though, I agree with you (give or take some old battery-inside Gameboy games :p ).

Even less after thanksgiving.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, November 11, 2016, 04:57 (2727 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Walmart’s Black Friday deals include 4K TVs and discounted consoles - The Verge
https://apple.news/AFWPFYId5Qiu2Lg1ye7MQAA

Tonight too.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:25 (2727 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by bluerunner, Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:32

40 inch 1080p TV for $125. Wat

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:25 (2727 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

50 inch 4k UHD TV for $399. Wat

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 11, 2016, 13:02 (2726 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

You convinced me. 2 levels in, this is pretty great.

by Kahzgul, Friday, November 11, 2016, 15:22 (2726 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Just wait until Effect and Cause

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, November 11, 2016, 18:19 (2726 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Thank you for the heads up - and HOLY SHIT

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 12, 2016, 03:26 (2726 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So because of your alert, I convinced myself to go out and buy the game yesterday.

Today I played through the campaign.

HOLY FUCK.

I was expecting the prototypical "unlock one new ability per level" thing that games do, based on the spoiler-free reviews I had read. So glad to find that wasn't the case. That being said, I absolutely did not expect:

the fucking time-travel level. HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

Nor did I expect

The sky-chase level. So well done! So fun! Fuck Viper.

And the last thing...

The level where the dynamic scenario factory is building a level as you play through it... The sheer size and scope of the moving pieces Respawn was able to imagine, construct, and execute still stagger me. The first Titanfall had all these epic splash screens to show you how they imagined the game universe, but this Titanfall actually had that same sense of scale in the real gameplay...

It was simply fucking brilliant.

On a scale of 0-The Last of Us for emotional connection and storytelling, I put this at a 9. So, so good. This game was every bit as stunning, impressive, and satisfying as CoD: MW3 was. There were so many purely awesome things... It just played out wonderfully.

Thanks for the recommendation, good buddy.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread