Ready to jump back in to No Man's Sky? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 14:28 (2726 days ago)

Hello Games just dropped a substantial update to No Man's Sky: The Foundation Update.

Adds base-building, freighters, new resources and technologies, and promises of more to come (story of my life, right?).

I guess maybe NMS is a dead horse, but I'm genuinely curious if this is enough for anyone to jump back into the game. I understood where folks were coming from with the outrage over No Man's Sky, even though I think pretty much all of it was overblown. I also think No Man's Sky was an okay game for what it was, even though I found it ultimately a bit disappointing and lacking (I still think Starbound is a much, much better space exploration game). I'm not sure this update does much to fix that. What's the point of building a base? In Starbound, like Minecraft, it's about making a place feel like home. I can design a base exactly how I want and fill it with digital stuff that I crafted. Building a base seems pointless without a deep crafting system to go along with it, and I see no mention of that, so I have to question why I would build something that looks like it uses the same 12 prefabbed rooms I've already seen a thousand times in that game.

Still, I might check it out once I've finished Dishonored 2, just out of sheer curiosity.

Ready to jump back in to No Man's Sky?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 14:48 (2726 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hello Games just dropped a substantial update to No Man's Sky: The Foundation Update.

Adds base-building, freighters, new resources and technologies, and promises of more to come (story of my life, right?).

I guess maybe NMS is a dead horse, but I'm genuinely curious if this is enough for anyone to jump back into the game. I understood where folks were coming from with the outrage over No Man's Sky, even though I think pretty much all of it was overblown. I also think No Man's Sky was an okay game for what it was, even though I found it ultimately a bit disappointing and lacking (I still think Starbound is a much, much better space exploration game). I'm not sure this update does much to fix that. What's the point of building a base? In Starbound, like Minecraft, it's about making a place feel like home. I can design a base exactly how I want and fill it with digital stuff that I crafted. Building a base seems pointless without a deep crafting system to go along with it, and I see no mention of that, so I have to question why I would build something that looks like it uses the same 12 prefabbed rooms I've already seen a thousand times in that game.

Still, I might check it out once I've finished Dishonored 2, just out of sheer curiosity.

Blackstar and I are going to be jumping back in to take a look this week.

We beat dead horses, dead.

by BlackstarBSP, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 14:49 (2726 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Short answer, SURE!

I have to get my windows install working again (damn winboot.efi error) but I'd give it a go. I'm sure Narc will too.

The patch isn't out for Windows yet.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 28, 2016, 00:48 (2725 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

- No text -

I got it yesterday.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 01:12 (2724 days ago) @ Kermit

Big performance increase, too, at least for me.

Great!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 14:01 (2724 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 13:20 (2723 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

(damn winboot.efi error)

WTF were you doing? Trying to make a Hackintosh?

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 05:14 (2722 days ago) @ stabbim

(damn winboot.efi error)

Nah. I had used a hackintosh for years with very few issues surprisingly, but I now have the last real good Mac Pro Apple made. (not the trashcan). Mac Pro 3GHz 48GB RAM GTX 780 Samsung XP941 512GB SSD

Thing is I was stupid and decided to update to the latest Mac OS Sierra, which apparently has an issue with Windows installs in the same machine; even if they are on separate drives. (Which mine is).

None of Windows tools, CMD line procedures, or any suggestions on any forum I checked could fix it. I eventually got a whole new Windows 10 install (all be it on a slower Samsung 840 SSD) running pretty much normally again.

Turns out there were no less than five separate conflicts from Bootcamp drivers, video card drivers, and windows own automatic updates in the background that were preventing from any fresh re-install from working properly.
(very frustrating). Finally got it working again last night.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 12:39 (2722 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

(damn winboot.efi error)

Nah. I had used a hackintosh for years with very few issues surprisingly, but I now have the last real good Mac Pro Apple made. (not the trashcan). Mac Pro 3GHz 48GB RAM GTX 780 Samsung XP941 512GB SSD

Apple is making me sad. They've forgotten to dance with who brung ya. Well, I guess the phones have brung them lately, but still...

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 13:26 (2722 days ago) @ Kermit

Apple is making me sad. They've forgotten to dance with who brung ya. Well, I guess the phones have brung them lately, but still...

I was a huge Apple fan five years ago. I had a classic iPod, iPhone, 27" iMac, and a Macbook. Today, I have an iPhone and will probably be getting a Pixel when I upgrade. I'm tired of loosing functionality because they want to make razor thin devices. We've reached the point where shit is small and light enough--it's nearly pointless to take it any further. Having to buy adapters to connect anything is asinine to the point of being rage-inducing. More and more Apple products have become a status symbol that just shouts "I like wasting money on pretty shit with less functionality." I bought a Surface Pro 4 and wouldn't trade it for a whole line up of Apple products.

And it's sad, because I used to love Apple stuff. I swore I'd never go back to Windows, but Apple basically drove me away. I'm not sure if it's because Apple actually did anything, or if I just grew up and got tired of paying stupidly exorbitant prices for what amounted to a pretty aluminum case.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, December 01, 2016, 13:29 (2722 days ago) @ Kermit

(damn winboot.efi error)

As a developer who's using a 'crappy' trash can / ash tray / cocoa warmer I full heartedly agree with this statement. I hate standing next to my dance parter as they ignore me and flirt w/ the in crowd.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 17:59 (2722 days ago) @ dogcow

(damn winboot.efi error)

As a developer who's using a 'crappy' trash can / ash tray / cocoa warmer I full heartedly agree with this statement. I hate standing next to my dance parter as they ignore me and flirt w/ the in crowd.

It's nuts. The Touch Bar seems like the kind of "innovation" Apple wannabes would attempt in the past.

I've never used Windows at home (and still can't imagine it), but I look at Surface and think, Hmmm.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, December 01, 2016, 19:12 (2722 days ago) @ Kermit

It's nuts. The Touch Bar seems like the kind of "innovation" Apple wannabes would attempt in the past.

I've never used Windows at home (and still can't imagine it), but I look at Surface and think, Hmmm.

I don't want much, really. Just give us good desktop hardware that gets refreshed frequently. Three+ years between updates is not okay. Don't get me wrong, *I* don't need to update my computer every year, I'm fine going several years, but imagine a new hire, they'd get a brand new 3 year old computer & then have to wait several years for their next upgrade. SMH.

Preach it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 21:07 (2721 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

100%

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 15:17 (2726 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The chill exploration mode sounds awesome :D

Video overview

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 17:00 (2726 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There's so much here, I assumed it was a fan-made joke

by Kahzgul, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 23:21 (2725 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'll definitely be jumping back in.

It's pretty astounding.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 28, 2016, 00:51 (2725 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If every update is this good, the last chapter of the No Man's Sky story may be redemptive. I say that as someone who wasn't really disappointed to begin with.

This looks great!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 28, 2016, 00:59 (2725 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was thinking I'd wait for a year or so to let the updates pile up before I jump back in, but this looks substantial enough that I might not wait :)

I'll be trying it out. Might start over... o.0

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 21:49 (2725 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Yeah, were I to jump back on I'd likely do the same

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, November 28, 2016, 01:29 (2725 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Tried survival for an hour. Quite difficult...!

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, November 28, 2016, 13:53 (2725 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Maybe I'll actually "finish" the game now.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 28, 2016, 14:23 (2725 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread