This "console war" thing is so tiring

by Avateur @, Friday, July 26, 2013, 13:49 (3932 days ago)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/26/35gb-of-playstation-4-ram-reportedly-reserved-for-os

Rumors, not rumors. Confirmations, not confirmations.

Bungie, please announce Destiny is on PC and can somehow play with people on consoles. Please. Make the choice easy so that I never have to buy one of these consoles. Even though this might be totally out of your control or irrelevant to you, please, Bungie, just somehow make this happen.

I might care if it raised my Galactic Readiness.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, July 26, 2013, 13:56 (3932 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

I might care if it raised my Galactic Readiness.

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, July 26, 2013, 15:10 (3932 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Just play the multiplayer! Oh wait.

there is one benefit...

by electricpirate @, Friday, July 26, 2013, 14:30 (3932 days ago) @ Avateur

I do enjoy watching people who obviously don't know what they are talking about start spouting off all this crap about technology over at NeoGaf though. It's fun to watch people try to justify their choice of product from a massive corporation through feigned technobabble.

Is it "I buy, therefore I am"?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, July 26, 2013, 14:47 (3932 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

there is one benefit...

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 01:20 (3932 days ago) @ electricpirate

Quibbling over tech specs has been part and parcel of fanboy bickering since at least the 16-bit era ("Genesis has a faster processor! Blast Processing!" and "The SNES has better graphical abilities!"). Of course, not being a fanboy who picks one console brand and rejects all others (I've yet to voluntarily pass up on any notable console since I got my first job in 1998, except for the Saturn which had been discontinued and wasn't available anywhere around here), such things don't mean much to me when it comes time to buy a console (hell, the Wii U is the weakest eighth-gen system, yet I'm really excited to get one soon). Both the PS4 and XBO are significantly more powerful than their predecessors, and that's fine by me. My decision to get a PS4 first and take a wait-and-see approach with the XBO is due to multiple factors, none of which have to do with which system has better RAM or a better processor or a better GPU. The systems are still similar enough technically to where the difference for multi-platform titles will likely be minimal. For me, it comes down to the PS4 costing less, having more games that interest me, Destiny presumably being better supported on the system, and the fact that I'm still wary of MS (it takes more than reversing shitty policies to earn my trust back). I was never an Xbox brand loyalist, but rather I only invested in the Xbox brand because I liked Halo, so at this point the only thing that will compel me to buy an XBO will be Halo 5.

there is one benefit...

by yakaman, Saturday, July 27, 2013, 08:14 (3932 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

All those tech specs, all the drama and the debating, arguing, and posturing...very amusing. And I'm just talking about the companies! Both are powerful, magical black boxes that will deliver all kinds of great experiences, both locally and with friends across the world.

You know what it comes down to for me?

The controller. I like the XBox controller better. That's it.

Really...how much does the rest matter? Not rhetorically, literally.

there is one benefit...

by NotTheVacuum, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 08:05 (3924 days ago) @ yakaman

The PS3 controller constantly reminds me that it sucks, so I certainly see the point made here. I'd still suffer a bad controller for a great game (rather than vice versa).

there is one benefit...

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, August 05, 2013, 08:48 (3923 days ago) @ yakaman

[image]
Needs a touchpad

Or something like THIS could work

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, July 28, 2013, 16:30 (3930 days ago) @ Avateur

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/26/35gb-of-playstation-4-ram-reportedly-reserved-for-os

Bungie, please announce Destiny is on PC and can somehow play with people on consoles. Please. Make the choice easy so that I never have to buy one of these consoles. Even though this might be totally out of your control or irrelevant to you, please, Bungie, just somehow make this happen.

I feel for you, but if they did that and let the PC players play with the console players they'd have a big advantage* over console players in competitive multiplayer and leaderboards for other modes, and if they didn't people would complain (a lot).

* the extra precision, and the easily-used precision, of a mouse, along with a good chance of a higher resolution, which could enable them to see more detail and see things from farther away

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 28, 2013, 19:44 (3930 days ago) @ General Vagueness

This is a terrible idea. Remember Shadowrun? It had Xbox360 and PC cross play, and the xbox players could not compete. At all. They were miserable. They kept trying to minimize the advantage by making changes - at one point they tried to limit the speed of turning with the mouse. At that point why bother?

Either require a keyboard and mouse for console destiny and allow cross play, or release a PC/Mac version that can only play with other PC/Mac players.

Since neither is going to happen, communicate with your friends and all get the same version. Video games are expensive yo. Deal with it.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 17:14 (3927 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is a terrible idea. Remember Shadowrun? It had Xbox360 and PC cross play, and the xbox players could not compete. At all. They were miserable. They kept trying to minimize the advantage by making changes - at one point they tried to limit the speed of turning with the mouse. At that point why bother?

Either require a keyboard and mouse for console destiny and allow cross play, or release a PC/Mac version that can only play with other PC/Mac players.

Since neither is going to happen, communicate with your friends and all get the same version. Video games are expensive yo. Deal with it.

Well yeah, console gamers can't really compete with PC gamers in terms of precision and execution of movements.

However, Destiny does seem to be a highly cooperative game, not a highly competitive one.

Would that difference make it okay for online gameplay to be cross-platform?

Even then, it may seem impossible to pull it off from a technical standpoint, since online connectivity on XBone games looks like it will be exclusive to Microsoft servers, and are probably the same is true for Sony.

I dunno, while it seems unlikely that cross-platform play will happen, I wouldn't think the differences between controller and KB+M would be a factor.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 07:54 (3927 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

However, Destiny does seem to be a highly cooperative game, not a highly competitive one.

Would that difference make it okay for online gameplay to be cross-platform?

It doesn't matter, it'll still have a competitive mode and it'll probably have leaderboards for other modes, and they wouldn't be fair.

I dunno, while it seems unlikely that cross-platform play will happen, I wouldn't think the differences between controller and KB+M would be a factor.

I think it would be a factor because of what you admitted above:

Well yeah, console gamers can't really compete with PC gamers in terms of precision and execution of movements.

BTW, I'd say consoles have more precision as far as movements, given that on a PC you usually use keys and an analog stick is more precise and varied, where PC pulls ahead is in the mouse allowing for even more precise and varied and nuanced aiming than an analog stick
also BTW Cody (and a few other people) had to convince me of this a few years ago so IDK why he had to say it again

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 19:35 (3926 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by uberfoop, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 19:52

BTW, I'd say consoles have more precision as far as movements, given that on a PC you usually use keys and an analog stick is more precise and varied, where PC pulls ahead is in the mouse allowing for even more precise and varied and nuanced aiming than an analog stick
also BTW Cody (and a few other people) had to convince me of this a few years ago so IDK why he had to say it again

This doesn't wind up being as true as you might initially think.

Four boolean directional keys is precise in a way that allows you to use the mouse as part of your movement direction control. The result is something that can offer at least as good directional control as an analogue stick, while also being very responsive (mouse and boolean buttons can be just as snappy as clanking an analogue stick around). The major limitation with what I've just described is that you're binding your aiming to your movement, but the ability to snap your view around keeps this from being a significant issue most of the time.

Analogue sticks still offer the neat ability to use variable force, but in shooters, 99 times out of 100 you can effectively accomplish the same thing by pulsing your buttons.

And this is coming from someone who hasn't used M&K in shooters even close to as much as a gamepad over the years. Quite a few people familiar with stuff like Quake 3 Defrag could make compelling arguments that in some respects, M&K is actually much better than gamepads for movement.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 22:36 (3926 days ago) @ uberfoop

This doesn't wind up being as true as you might initially think.

No, he is correct, in that using an analog stick to move AND using a mouse to aim would give you the most precision, since you could do what you suggested even with an analog stick, and the analog stick offers a higher precision of motion range and speed.

However, if you have one hand on a controller and the other on the mouse, that makes it hard to use all the other buttons you need, such as switch weapons, action, crouch, jump etc, which is why the wasd setups works just fine.

The ultimate FPS control scheme would be having a mouse to aim, and a special keyboard with an analog stick affixed to it somehow, such that your thumb operated the stick, while your other fingers were free to hit other keys.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 23:11 (3926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The ultimate FPS control scheme would be having a mouse to aim, and a special keyboard with an analog stick affixed to it somehow, such that your thumb operated the stick, while your other fingers were free to hit other keys.

That's what I hoped this would be, but the stick just ends up being to clicky (it wants to go one of 8 directions instead of being free to move and direction) to make it as useful as I would've hoped.

by Das Kalk, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 22:39 (3927 days ago) @ Avateur

Working at an EB Games means I get idiots coming in saying "WHICH ONE IS BETTER PS4 OR XBONE?!" and frothing at the mouth.

They're functionally the same, since either is only as good as the content on them. Case in point: the Vita. Great hardware. Absolutely no selling power since the software is lukewarm.

I actually had a guy come in and go "convince me to buy a PS4. Tell me why I need one." and he got mad when I asked

"Do you want a PS4?"

"Not really"

"Then don't buy a PS4. Pretty simple. If you don't want something, nothing I say should convince you to buy it."

This whole "mine is better than yours" mentality is toxic and childish, and I hate it. It makes me want to do the same as you, Av. Sadly, the PC has its own brand of idiots who (and this happened to me today) insist upon bragging about things like "playing 4K games years before anyone else" (whoopdy doo, you spent $4K on a freaking monitor).

Actually, stuff like this makes me rage pretty hard against these idiots, who are such a small subset. It misrepresents the community as a whole. Mostly it annoys because it's thoughtless and immature, two things I despise.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 14:53 (3926 days ago) @ Das Kalk

Next time, insist they show you their penis size before answering their question.

by Avateur @, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 20:11 (3926 days ago) @ Das Kalk

Cody's pretty much spot on about how linking it all up with PC would essentially put the console gamers at a disadvantage. My post is more along the lines of wishful thinking and selfishness mixed with some tongue in cheek, most likely because, while I'm far more sold on a PS4 than an Xbox One, the two consoles just aren't that special. I just wish I could play with my buddies who I know will be getting one or both of these consoles without ever having to get one myself.

I can always get Destiny for the 360, but Bungie won't be releasing for the 360 probably beyond this first launch. No facts to back that up, but why would they do it when the new generation is out?

It kind of sucks.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 23:13 (3926 days ago) @ Avateur

I can always get Destiny for the 360, but Bungie won't be releasing for the 360 probably beyond this first launch. No facts to back that up, but why would they do it when the new generation is out?

Well at least if you do this by the time Destiny 2: Electric Cabalaloo comes out I imagine there will probably be a price drop on the new consoles. I know that's probably not the main reason you don't want to get them but it would at least take the sting off a little.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread