Elite: Dangerous Vids! (Gaming)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 02:05 (2710 days ago)

So, I had a really good night on Elite, and feel like sharing! This is my absolute favorite game right now.

My wing and I were bounty hunting. Here are a few fun kills plus the start of a battle against another player.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SonofMacPhisto/video/24533166

Coming in hot!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SonofMacPhisto/video/24533278

First strike! (This is the start of the PvP fight)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SonofMacPhisto/video/24533275

Elite: Dangerous Vids!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 17:43 (2710 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I swear I've seen "MeritedLion" somewhere before. Like in Destiny or Mass Effect.

I have such a hard time parsing what's going on in that game. Are those weapons you've got equipped aimed manually? I don't really understand how that's feasible, and yet people seem to do it.

Elite: Dangerous Vids!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 18:37 (2710 days ago) @ stabbim

I swear I've seen "MeritedLion" somewhere before. Like in Destiny or Mass Effect.

I have such a hard time parsing what's going on in that game. Are those weapons you've got equipped aimed manually? I don't really understand how that's feasible, and yet people seem to do it.

Probably Mass Effect. Her and her significant other play regularly since the backwards compatibility became a thing.

Yes, those are plasma accelerators and they only come fixed. You get a leading target marker which helps immensely. At close enough ranges there is some minor magnetism. Throttling above or below your ideal mass/thrust ratio helps steady you out as well (that's the blue area on your throttle control).

This reminds me of watching League of Legends footage.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 18:48 (2710 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

So, I had a really good night on Elite, and feel like sharing! This is my absolute favorite game right now.

To a casual observer, pretty much all of this footage looks boring and uneventful, but I'm sure that for fans of the game, this footage would have them going nuts.

I'm sure better descriptions of the footage would help understand what makes it distinct. To me, it's all clips of a ship flying slowly through space, taking occasional shots at enemies.

That's because the FdL handles like a bathtub

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 19:18 (2710 days ago) @ Korny

And Phisto should be ashamed of flying it!

;p

All kidding aside, this game's dogfighting is a bit more like a game of chess than a game of reflexes. Unless you're way overpowered or a LOT faster than the enemy ship, you have to carefully switch power from engines to weapons to shields and back (the three columns on the right of the map) as the fight progresses. Boosting eats a chunk off of the ENG bar, regenerating shields eats SYS and firing weapons consume WEP.

As you can notice, he is constantly boosting to try and outmaneuver the enemy ship (which can be seen in the 3D map as the red triangle). On top of that, his weapon must be one hell of cannon, because it takes over half his WEP reserve per shot.

The map is a mess because it is listing all the asteroids around, but essentially, the disc is the plane of the ship and a bar rising above and dipping below it represent how far from the plane any given object is, as well as the origin of the bars represent how far within the plane they are from you.

Now, it looks kind of slow and potshot-y because his ship, while very maneuverable for its class, is still quite big, so the enemy has a slight advantage on speed. I, for one, favor the Vulture, which is a tiny fighter that allows for big guns, so I just zip around big enemies flying ships like Phisto's and busting their subsystems, like shield generator and engines until they're sitting ducks. On the downside, if Phisto's gun even grazes my ship, I'll at the very least lose all my shield and a bit of my hull, possibly damaging some subsystem.

A really fast bathtub made of murder

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 19:26 (2710 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 19:31

Way better than I could've explained. Thank you, ZackDark. However, I have a bone to pick with you. ;)

Regarding that "bathtub," good sir, you should note that it boosts over 500 m/s fully loaded for combat. This is very fast for such a large ship. Those guns are five plasma accelerators modded for efficiency (literally the only way I could fire all five at once). If I hit your Vulture with a full salvo, you'd better be wearing your brown pants.

That ship is an absolute monster. Like Cthulu, but fast.

Hope these help, Korny...

That's what I said

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 19:36 (2710 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

For its class, it's a monster. Still could probably fly circles around you if I ever mod my Vulture, though. :D

IT'S ON SUCKA

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 19:50 (2710 days ago) @ ZackDark

For its class, it's a monster. Still could probably fly circles around you if I ever mod my Vulture, though. :D

You better get cracking, cause this bathtub is coming for you! ;)

+1 for Glass Cannon/Fragile Speedster classes

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 20:54 (2710 days ago) @ ZackDark

And Phisto should be ashamed of flying it!

;p

All kidding aside, this game's dogfighting is a bit more like a game of chess than a game of reflexes. Unless you're way overpowered or a LOT faster than the enemy ship, you have to carefully switch power from engines to weapons to shields and back (the three columns on the right of the map) as the fight progresses. Boosting eats a chunk off of the ENG bar, regenerating shields eats SYS and firing weapons consume WEP.

As you can notice, he is constantly boosting to try and outmaneuver the enemy ship (which can be seen in the 3D map as the red triangle). On top of that, his weapon must be one hell of cannon, because it takes over half his WEP reserve per shot.

The map is a mess because it is listing all the asteroids around, but essentially, the disc is the plane of the ship and a bar rising above and dipping below it represent how far from the plane any given object is, as well as the origin of the bars represent how far within the plane they are from you.

Now, it looks kind of slow and potshot-y because his ship, while very maneuverable for its class, is still quite big, so the enemy has a slight advantage on speed. I, for one, favor the Vulture, which is a tiny fighter that allows for big guns, so I just zip around big enemies flying ships like Phisto's and busting their subsystems, like shield generator and engines until they're sitting ducks. On the downside, if Phisto's gun even grazes my ship, I'll at the very least lose all my shield and a bit of my hull, possibly damaging some subsystem.

Thanks for the context, though I'm still not super hyped for this game if these are the exciting moments (no offense to Phisto, I'm more of a fast-paced tactical combat kind of guy).

Either way, sounds like I'd be a Vulture kind of guy myself; I love "hit hard, hit fast, but don't get hit" gameplay.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, 21:21 (2710 days ago) @ Korny

Thanks for the context, though I'm still not super hyped for this game if these are the exciting moments (no offense to Phisto, I'm more of a fast-paced tactical combat kind of guy).

Understood! This game would not be for you, and that's ok.

Either way, sounds like I'd be a Vulture kind of guy myself; I love "hit hard, hit fast, but don't get hit" gameplay.

Imperial Courier would be your bag. 700m/s properly engineered. Literally nothing can catch you, and maybe not even see you. But yes, literally don't let anything touch you. :P

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 00:44 (2710 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Understood! This game would not be for you, and that's ok.

Y'know, I think when I go back, I'm turning off flight assist. Lets how going full-blown inertia works for me. (The flight assist makes your ship behave as if it had aerodynamics, e.g. you can't spin around wildly while your trajectory remains linear. Allegedly, turning it off makes it entirely possible, but docking could be an absolute pain in the ass.)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread