Reminder: Sandbox Update Stream at 10 AM Pacific Today (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 15:26 (2658 days ago)

Next week, we’ll be hosting a stream that you’re invited to watch. We’ll be unpacking the contents of HotFix 2.5.0.2 in a live fire exercise. On the hot seat will be Sandbox Designers Josh Hamrick and Greg Peng. Last week, we gave you a preview of their goals. When our Twitch channel sparks alight again, they’ll delve deeper into the gory details.

Our plan is to talk about the different ways in which you fight in Destiny. What is the purpose for different styles of attack? How are they performing right now in comparison to each other? How is all that about to change?

These questions, and more, are the ones they’ll be answering. Tune in and hang out. They might even answer your question.

There will be data. There will be blood.

http://twitch.tv/Bungie

Thanks for the reminder!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 15:57 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

They nerfed everything.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 15:59 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

They nerfed everything.

by nico, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 03:17 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

Thanks unoudid for those updates. I couldn't watch the whole thing, so it's nice to get a "digest" version.

Some Raw Weapon Stats:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:16 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

[image]

[image]

[image]

(Clearly we need to nerf fusion rifles.)

RIP shotguns, sidearm is the new Meta

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:25 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No more aim assist when using hip fire
- No headshot/precision damage multiplier (universal remote/chaperone still can headshot)
- Less in air accuracy
- Reduced time to aim down sight by 20/25% with rangefinder
- Removed penalty for handling speed that they added awhile back
- Body Shot is now the main strategy for killing someone

Sidearm really will be the new Meta

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:55 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

NLB + Sidearm will continue to be a great load out :)

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:03 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Also: 20%damage buff in PvE, to make up for no crits

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 21:16 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Thx, was wondering about that

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 03:38 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Just Got UR In A Drop. Sign?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:25 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Correction

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:27 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- Reduced increased time to aim down sight by 20/25% with rangefinder

Pulse Changes:

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:31 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- Reduced ROF on Clever Dragon/Grasp
- Reduced flinch from HCR
- Reduced base flinch from Pulse rifles
- Reduced magazine on Grasp/Clever (from 24 to 18 with Braced frame)
- Low RoF pulses have buff to rate of fire
- Increased in air accuracy w/ pulses, autorifles, scouts.

* Fixed HCR on other weapon classes

Low RoF Pulse rifles can two-tap again.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:32 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

Break out your Messengers and Three Little Wordses

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:11 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

I never put my Messenger away. ;)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:57 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

Don't have either of those - but I do have a pretty nice Parthian Shot I might be trying soon. ;)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:09 (2657 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Same. I liked that thing just fine already, TBH.

They never stopped being able to two shot, I don't think...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:24 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's gotten more difficult "recently" where you needed your targets to be in the lower armor ranges, but landing six headshot bullets has been able to kill at least some Guardians for a long, long time. Maybe all the way back to when they upped Pulse Rifle damage after the beta, and certainly since they upped it that 9.7% (I think) back during the Three Little Words era.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:38 (2657 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Actually, come to think of it, that's true! I remember now that when I first got my Parthian shot, I went into a private Crucible game with someone else to test its killing power. It definitely was able to 2-shot.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:50 (2657 days ago) @ stabbim

Actually, come to think of it, that's true! I remember now that when I first got my Parthian shot, I went into a private Crucible game with someone else to test its killing power. It definitely was able to 2-shot.

I've been able to get a couple of 2-shot kills since TTK launched, but it is certainly a far cry from the year 1 days when I was getting 2-shot kills with my Messenger several times per match.

The TTK is higher than it was, it's quicker to use others

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:56 (2657 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 20:10 (2657 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've been able to get a couple of 2-shot kills since TTK launched, but it is certainly a far cry from the year 1 days when I was getting 2-shot kills with my Messenger several times per match.

Yeah, it was ideal test conditions. The other player was just standing still waiting to be shot. Not sure how reliable or easy it would be in actual gameplay, even with my extremely lucky perks. :)

Changes to Assault Rifles

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:34 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- Increased base damage on low RoF assault rifles
- 1.25 to 1.3 Precision multiplier
- Increase in air accuracy
- They seem to love them now?

Time for field scout vanquisher to come out of the vault!

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:28 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

LOL. Forgot they nerfed Field Scout. Nevermind.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:28 (2657 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Changes to Hand Cannons

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:40 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- Increased initial accuracy to year 1 level
- Increased bloom on initial shot
- Reduced base range by 5 m
- Reduced aim assist/magnetism
- Reduced max range damage drop off from 50% to 33%
- no changes to shot pacing from current meta

Special ammo is lost upon death (like heavy)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:41 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by CyberKN, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:45

With the exception of sidearms, which remain unchanged.

Includes Elimination

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:44 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

Trials will be even harder. Winning the first round is an even greater advantage.

Includes Elimination

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:41 (2657 days ago) @ BeardFade

Trials will be even harder. Winning the first round is an even greater advantage.

Yup. They have been ruining PvP through death by 1000 cuts.

Clarification: Both teams lose it.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 21:47 (2657 days ago) @ BeardFade

Via Derek Caroll on Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/_mantis_/status/829442566407933952

So no more scrambling to pick up special before the round ends.

60 second respawn timer on special crates

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:51 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by squidnh3, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:07 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

I, uh, not fond of this change.

Technically it's a nerf to fusion rifles, since one of their buffs was increased ammo capacity.

They always nerf fusions TBH

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:09 (2657 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:16 (2657 days ago) @ squidnh3

I, uh, not fond of this change.

Technically it's a nerf to fusion rifles, since one of their buffs was increased ammo capacity.

Also, snipers and shotguns both have exotics that regen ammo. Fusions don't. They nerfed fusions without touching them.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:15 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

I really don't like this change. Seems like a way to screw over less talented players. Good players will stay alive and accrue special ammo while less good players will keep dying to special and then spawning without anything.

I'll wait and see how it plays, but I'm not optimistic.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 06:42 (2657 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I really don't like this change. Seems like a way to screw over less talented players. Good players will stay alive and accrue special ammo while less good players will keep dying to special and then spawning without anything.

I'll wait and see how it plays, but I'm not optimistic.

I fully agree. I think this further rewards high skill players and punishes low skill players, and will result in either more lopsided matches (not fun for one team) OR a return to the sad and laggy days of SBMM as priority (because, let's be honest, skill is still clearly a factor, if not the basis for matchmaking).

I would have preferred to see players get back, say, half a mag worth of ammo each time they die (suicides excluded). Keep the worse players in the game.

Bad choice

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:59 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

You want to give people options for coming back. This hugely penalizes dying.

Bad choice

by squidnh3, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:18 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It seems like it will also slow the pace of the game down, which I'm always against.

Bad choice

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:37 (2657 days ago) @ squidnh3

It seems like it will also slow the pace of the game down, which I'm always against.

It's going to turn the game into a primary fest. What I loved about Destiny's PvP from the very beginning was that you had access to all these options: specials, heavy, and supers, that could really turn encounters or games around. Of course, everyone else had them too. What made Schooly D hate the game is precisely what made it fun an unique. The last thing Destiny should become is Halo 2 MLG with BR starts.

Further every change only worsens the positive feedback loop. Special and heavy ammo can turn the game around, so limits like this and others that have been imposed only make it easier to screw the other team. Advantages should be hard to get, yet grant a large benefit if you can pull them off. It seems to me now, it would be far easier to starve the other team of special ammo and screw them.

I feel as if over these two years the crucible has gotten progressively worse, and more boring.

Not just the crucible, the entire game.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:43 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cool, the story is slightly better, too bad the gameplay is worse.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 22:18 (2657 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Cool, the story is slightly better, too bad the gameplay is worse.

I don't know if Destiny has ever been a particularly good PvP game. There have been aspects of it in the past that I've absolutely loved. But it does seem to me like there have always been huge glaring flaws with the PvP side of the game, and those flaws have just sort of shuffled and rotated around a bit over time, while the overall experience has never really gotten substantially better.

I don't remember what video this was included in, but I remember a quote from Lars Bakken where he said something along the lines of "the Crucible is a lot more fun if you just don't take it very seriously". I think he's exactly right. You jump in with friends and have a laugh. Try to take it more seriously than that and you're bound to get frustrated, because the PvP game just isn't tight enough to hold up under more competitive or stressful play. You can either laugh and say "oh that's bullshit" with a grin on your face every time something stupid happens, or you squeeze your controller and shout "oh that's BULLSHIT" and spend match after match getting angry at the game.

Truth. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 13:49 (2657 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:22 (2657 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't know that it's actually possible to perfectly balance a game like Destiny, anyway. The random nature of weapons and even armor would seem to place that goal well out of reach.

I agree. The future looks bleak.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 22:17 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As time goes on, it seems like much more of the winning strategies involve "screw the other team" and not "kill em a lot," which is fine, but it's not the type of game I like. It's like camping. Totally legit strategy, but it makes MY game less fun.

I play on my nephew's account sometimes because he gets grounded frequently but still wants to get a bounty or whatever and crucible is actually annoying to play. I don't think I like these changes which will only make it worse for me.

By year 6, we'll be shooting muskets with one bullet that goes 15 miles per hour and shotguns will be made by Super Soaker. Blink will not teleport you or make you invisible, but simply disable your ability to use weapons until you visit the captain on the bridge. Melees only register hits of the other person is inside your body. If you die, your hands get taken away until the hand ammo regens.

But, if you win 9 games in a row, you get a special musket that has rifling, but only half a shot per magazine.

Bad choice

by ShadowDancing, CA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 21:06 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It also significantly increases momentum to victors and penalizes folks with <= 1 kd. This just exacerbates match making problems. Side arms everyone, hope you got your Icebreaker.

Oh Dear Lord.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:18 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Rescue mag is now god tier

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 06:42 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Hunter Changes

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:46 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- Hungering Blade now gives a bigger bump to health upon kill (can go into shield if health is high enough)
- Throwing knife now does solar damage

Hunter Changes

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:59 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- Changed blink
- Nerfed Shinobu's Vow

Hunter Changes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:31 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- Throwing knife now does solar damage

Been waiting since launch for this one!

Warlock Changes:

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:47 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- Reduced Melee on Thunderstrike to match other warlock melee
- Landfall reduces in time available in super

Unclear On What That Means.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:19 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:49 (2657 days ago) @ Morpheus

types forum post from a live stream is hard

- Reduced Melee range on Thunderstrike to match other warlock melee range on other subclasses
- Landfall reduces in time available in super duration

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:20 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

- Landfall reduces in time available in super duration

Does this only happen when you select the node, or also when you are wearing Impossible Machines?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:32 (2657 days ago) @ bluerunner

They did not specify. I'm guessing it's tied to the perk whether selected or added with an exotic.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:54 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

They did say on the stream that they were trying to encourage people to pick nodes other than Landfall, so this might only be from your skill tree, and not affect it granted as an exotic perk.

Titan Changes:

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:48 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- Delayed Jugg shield activation after landing
- Can not start Jugg shield while in air

Titan Changes:

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:55 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

Also, jugg shield will deactivate after a while in air regardless of how long it's been going, i.e. it will deactivate before it would have if you were just running.

BNG Staff looks like they are really bad at PvP

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:53 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Deej was pretty bad for the DBO Bungie Bounty

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:55 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

I know he's not playing, but just an example.

This is painful to watch

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:57 (2657 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

Ok... Watching them play...

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:00 (2657 days ago) @ BeardFade

How can they make accurate crucible changes when they can't play the Crucible at even a moderate level? I get that they have data, but these two are playing really poorly. It makes me feel like they can't get an accurate assessment of the meta anecdatally (one of my favorite new words).

I mean, these guys are playing at practically half speed, shooting poorly, forgetting to reload after an encounter, all things you don't run into in the Crucible. There's been like 4 supers that have gone without a kill.

Granted, maybe SBMM has just skewed what I play against a lot.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:06 (2657 days ago) @ BeardFade

Didn't watch the stream. Were the people playing the play-testers? If so, that's a bad sign. If not, I'm not sure any conclusions can be drawn.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:10 (2657 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Didn't watch the stream. Were the people playing the play-testers? If so, that's a bad sign. If not, I'm not sure any conclusions can be drawn.

Two designers played, not sure who was controlling the other characters

play-testing isn't skill based

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:41 (2657 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Just sayin'... as a playtester, most of my job was going through a checklist of things that could break and seeing if I could break it.

Pro teams can be hired, or contracted to come in and wreck house for balance reasons, so I don't know if Bungie has any on retainer to drag onto the stream.

There are some

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:05 (2657 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Just sayin'... as a playtester, most of my job was going through a checklist of things that could break and seeing if I could break it.

Pro teams can be hired, or contracted to come in and wreck house for balance reasons, so I don't know if Bungie has any on retainer to drag onto the stream.

There are definitely some folks on staff who are obscenely good at PvP.

One GREAT thing 343 did...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 13:53 (2657 days ago) @ kidtsunami

...was hire a Pro Tram to help with PvP.
Halo 5's multiplayer is fantastic because of it.

I'd argue that it's among the worst things that 343 did...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 14:37 (2657 days ago) @ breitzen

That so-called "pro-team" did exactly what I was afraid they'd do when I first heard of them. They put way too much emphasis on ranged weaponry, short TTK, and fast movement, forcing changes to all non-ranged weaponry. They butchered the sandbox, and the game just feels like a poor man's Black Ops 3. And I'm a higher-tier player, so I was able to survive well enough in the game, but it sure as heck wasn't Halo anymore thanks to the "Pro Team".

(And then 343 started adding in variants of every weapon, so half the time, if you find a weapon on the battlefield, you have no idea what to expect if you pick it up. Will this SAW fire normally, or will it shoot Christmas-themed confetti? Who knows! Sandbox balance!)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 14:59 (2657 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:03

You can argue that's exactly what they wanted. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, since I don't own or play Halo 5, but tastes and trends do evolve over time. Especially given that MCC ostensibly preserves the classic experience, it would be kind of foolish to keep everything the same. New game, new feel. Halo 2 sure didn't feel like Halo in multiplayer. It is an okay to evolve the game feel, just as it is also okay for players to prefer something else. The mere fact that there is change is not nessesarily a point to criticize. Not being a player I have no idea if the changes work within the framework of the game or not, but the response has been mostly positive anecdotally.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 17:06 (2656 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can argue that's exactly what they wanted. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, since I don't own or play Halo 5, but tastes and trends do evolve over time. Especially given that MCC ostensibly preserves the classic experience, it would be kind of foolish to keep everything the same. New game, new feel. Halo 2 sure didn't feel like Halo in multiplayer. It is an okay to evolve the game feel, just as it is also okay for players to prefer something else. The mere fact that there is change is not nessesarily a point to criticize. Not being a player I have no idea if the changes work within the framework of the game or not, but the response has been mostly positive anecdotally.

IMO, Halo 5 has different strengths and weaknesses than previous Halo titles, but it is a rock-solid PvP game in its own right. It plays very well.

I feel very strongly that you're wrong

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:16 (2657 days ago) @ Korny
edited by kidtsunami, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:24

That so-called "pro-team" did exactly what I was afraid they'd do when I first heard of them. They put way too much emphasis on ranged weaponry, short TTK, and fast movement, forcing changes to all non-ranged weaponry. They butchered the sandbox, and the game just feels like a poor man's Black Ops 3. And I'm a higher-tier player, so I was able to survive well enough in the game, but it sure as heck wasn't Halo anymore thanks to the "Pro Team".

(And then 343 started adding in variants of every weapon, so half the time, if you find a weapon on the battlefield, you have no idea what to expect if you pick it up. Will this SAW fire normally, or will it shoot Christmas-themed confetti? Who knows! Sandbox balance!)

It feels super balanced. I feel much more successful with the AR/SMG than I've ever felt with them in prior Halos. Also the starting pistol feels really solid without being OP.

Oh and COD gameplay is not for me at all...

by Durandal, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 18:03 (2656 days ago) @ Korny

yeah, all the variant weapons really threw me in 5. Plus when you have all the "pro" players they tend to get very mono-build. I think you really need to consider the casuals in the play as well. Like in Overwatch how some characters are OP for the masses, but never used in competitive mode because they are easily countered by a coordinated, skilled team.

Sniper rifles in some Destiny players hands are OP, but I can't hit the broad side of a barn. What do you do, should you buff them, nerf them?

You can make a game for streamers and top 1% of players, but that may not be a game the rest of us want to play.

It's definitely not one of my favourite things.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 18:04 (2656 days ago) @ Korny

I felt that Halo 5 felt like Halo, but fast and modern. The multiplayer also felt like Halo, but fast and competitive. Still fun if in a custom. It feels to me that it's much much more competitive than Halo 2 and Halo 3, and I believe it's not so much due to the playerbase, but 343 giving the casuals the information that only the hardcore guys had. Power weapon timing, location, etc. It really equalizes the playerbase, so it's hard to have friendly and lame games if you're a friendly and lame person.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 10, 2017, 19:42 (2655 days ago) @ Korny

Yesterday was crazy. Sorry for not replying sooner! :)

CODY: You can argue that's exactly what they wanted. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, since I don't own or play Halo 5, but tastes and trends do evolve over time. Especially given that MCC ostensibly preserves the classic experience, it would be kind of foolish to keep everything the same. New game, new feel. Halo 2 sure didn't feel like Halo in multiplayer. It is an okay to evolve the game feel, just as it is also okay for players to prefer something else. The mere fact that there is change is not nessesarily a point to criticize. Not being a player I have no idea if the changes work within the framework of the game or not, but the response has been mostly positive anecdotally.

I'm with Cody on this. They wanted to move the franchise mechanics forward. The speed of the game was part of that. I think they did very good job of doing that without breaking it (compared to Halo 4 IMO). It still has one of the lowest TTK in any major FPS. I think the sandbox is one of the most solid in terms of balance (They don't have to have a Twitch stream to announce all their balancing changes lol). I'm not sure how much you played, but after playing pretty consistently, I think each weapon is unique and useful in certain circumstances now (Halo 4 did not do this).

Again, I'm not sure how much you played but these are actually very rare in competitive. Obviously they're predominate in Warzone and Fiesta, but their might be one on each arena map; so probably not half the time ;) Each one has a visual difference from the default weapon, so if you know them well enough you'll know which version it is. And they can actually balance the map much easier without changing how a weapon works every three months.

It took me coming from Destiny PvP to really appreciate how good Halo 5 PvP is. I like both in their own right, but Halo's is just more solid for team based, balanced MP.

They are vastly different skill sets (with some overlap)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 20:22 (2657 days ago) @ BeardFade

How can they make accurate crucible changes when they can't play the Crucible at even a moderate level? I get that they have data, but these two are playing really poorly. It makes me feel like they can't get an accurate assessment of the meta anecdatally (one of my favorite new words).

I mean, these guys are playing at practically half speed, shooting poorly, forgetting to reload after an encounter, all things you don't run into in the Crucible. There's been like 4 supers that have gone without a kill.

Granted, maybe SBMM has just skewed what I play against a lot.

So I work at a guitar shop. I spend a lot of my day helping customers choose guitars that'll do what they need, or fixing them/setting them up to suit their playstyle. I've been playing guitar for close to 20 years now, but I'm not a particularly good player. "Serviceable" at best. Plenty of my customers blow me out of the water when it comes to skill with a guitar. But most of them have no idea how to fix their own guitars, or what adjustments to make if something isn't behaving the way they want it to. Most of them have misconceptions about what they need to do in order to fix a problem they are experiencing.
So they bring their guitars to me, because I know how to take care of their problems better than they do, even though they can play circles around me. Because they've spent their time learning to play guitar, while I've spend my time learning to fix them.
That being said, I've never known a truly skilled and trustworthy guitar tech who didn't also play at least passably well, because it informs your work as a technician. Guitar players often struggle to describe the problems they are having with their instruments, but because I can play myself, I can interpret what they are trying to describe and make the necessary adjustments.

So basically, I don't think game designers need to be particularly good at playing their games in order to do a good job making them... but I do think it can help.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 20:59 (2657 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

There are lots of examples of this. Think of a racing driver vs. a pit mechanic. You probably wouldn't want either of them to take over the other one's job.

Personally, I work with computers in a very narrow field - the company I work for services auto body shops. So I work with software from many different vendors that's used for estimating and managing the repair process, and it all has to play nice together. I've gotten pretty good at it, from a technical standpoint. There are probably only a handful of people on the world who have my particular skills. But you absolutely would not want me to write you an estimate for your car.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 21:05 (2657 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That being said, I've never known a truly skilled and trustworthy guitar tech who didn't also play at least passably well, because it informs your work as a technician. Guitar players often struggle to describe the problems they are having with their instruments, but because I can play myself, I can interpret what they are trying to describe and make the necessary adjustments.

I think you're undermining your argument. The really good players can tell you what is wrong, no matter now minute. Like this is off, it should sound / respond this way. If they were a beginner, they would not even know something is wrong. They are the most in tune with the instrument, so when they have a problem it's a real problem. They don't necessarily need to know how to fix it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 22:06 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think you're undermining your argument. The really good players can tell you what is wrong, no matter now minute. Like this is off, it should sound / respond this way.

Not true. They can usually get half way there, but are often clueless when it comes to determining what is causing the problem.

I'll give you a common example: Almost every day, I'll have a customer come in the door and say to me "Hey I need to buy a new set of machine heads for my guitar". I'll say "sure... out of curiosity, why do you want new machine heads?" And almost every single time, they'll respond "well my guitar isn't staying in tune very well".

And almost every time, they're dead wrong. Not about the guitar going out of tune faster than it should, but about the cause and solution. 99 times out of 100, it is not the machine heads that cause tuning problems with a guitar. But players make that assumption all the time, because it is the most obvious line to trace for someone who hasn't learned about the technical side of the instrument.

That's a very basic example, but it holds true for more nuanced issues as well. Sometimes even more so. The more subtle the problem, the more convoluted the actual solution can be. It involves the kind of technical knowledge about the instrument that most players never learn.

Some players do learn those skill, though. Just as some technicians are also fantastic players. But that is the exception, not the rule.

If they were a beginner, they would not even know something is wrong. They are the most in tune with the instrument, so when they have a problem it's a real problem. They don't necessarily need to know how to fix it.

So this is something that I mostly agree with. But we're not just talking about "being able to tell that something is wrong". That's not where a game designer's job ends. They need to be able to identify what works and what doesn't, AND know how to fix or create it. While I do think it is beneficial for somebody who works as a PvP designer to be at least decently skilled as a player, they don't need to be top tier or anything like that.

I have customers who run into problems with their guitars while playing certain riffs or using techniques that are way beyond my ability to play... so I just put the guitar in their hands, watch them play it, and spot the problem myself when it happens. In most cases, the problem ends up being something different than what the player thinks it is. They might say "hey I'm getting fret buzz on this one string on this one fret". So I check the frets, but they're all level. So I hand them the guitar and say "show me". I watch them play and discover that there is a rattle, but it's happening because they're moving their pickup selector switch to a different position at a certain point in a solo, and the switch itself is rattling in that position. Or maybe I discover that they are getting fret buzz because they are playing an electric guitar unplugged, so they're hitting the strings way harder than they should be just so they can hear themselves. Those are all the kinds of issues that I can trace and nail down in part because I'm a player and my knowledge as a player informs me, but mostly because I'm trained as a technician.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 12:15 (2657 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So basically, I don't think game designers need to be particularly good at playing their games in order to do a good job making them... but I do think it can help.

I agree with you in that the game designers jobs are to understand the problem from a technical nature and then be able to fix it. However, to stretch your metaphor a bit if the customer doesn't come in and tell you what kind of problem they are having (my instrument keeps going out of tune really fast) then you can't just magically solve their problem. So I think it's important that as Bungie is working on making these changes that they have some highly skilled players available to test them, because seeing what kinds of problems are caused by the changes at that skill level is very different than seeing the problems at lower skill levels. Ultimately it's important for the designers to test a wide range of skill levels.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 13:21 (2657 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

because seeing what kinds of problems are caused by the changes at that skill level is very different than seeing the problems at lower skill levels.

You almost can't look at low skill levels when determining balance, because at low skill levels essentially everything is overpowered.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 13:24 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

because seeing what kinds of problems are caused by the changes at that skill level is very different than seeing the problems at lower skill levels.

You almost can't look at low skill levels when determining balance, because at low skill levels essentially everything is overpowered.

Overpowered is only in relation to two equal skills levels. Something could be considered overpowered to two low skill leveled players but not to two high level skilled players.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 14:10 (2657 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Overpowered is only in relation to two equal skills levels. Something could be considered overpowered to two low skill leveled players but not to two high level skilled players.

But that's not really a problem? If thw solution to something seemingly overpowered is to learn a counter or alternate strategy, then the developer needs to do nothing.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:15 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But that's not really a problem? If thw solution to something seemingly overpowered is to learn a counter or alternate strategy, then the developer needs to do nothing.

Are you saying that if a weapon is OP when two newbs are playing with it that it's not a problem? OP is OP regardless of skill level and should be addressed.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:20 (2657 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Are you saying that if a weapon is OP when two newbs are playing with it that it's not a problem? OP is OP regardless of skill level and should be addressed.

I guess all basketball hoops should be 4 feet high then.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 16:31 (2656 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's quite basic, if you let people of all skill levels play in the same arena, then you have to balance for all skill levels. If you want to make a MLG subset of the game, then go for it.

I'm with Cody here

by Kahzgul, Saturday, February 11, 2017, 06:48 (2655 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It's quite basic, if you let people of all skill levels play in the same arena, then you have to balance for all skill levels. If you want to make a MLG subset of the game, then go for it.

Generally I think you want to balance for MLG players. As time passes, players' skill should increase, bringing all players more in line with your design plan, just as their gear, spec, and choice of weapons will refine down to your designed for ideals as well.

It's pretty much a given that a full-auto weapon will have a lower skill threshold than a burst weapon, which is lower than a semi auto weapon. At low skill levels, then, you expect to see a lot of ARs and few pulse rifles or hand cannons. At high skill you want to balance such that the opposite is true. In a perfect world the game is narrow, such that a HC user is only marginally more effective than an AR user, and will still lose fights when the AR user gets the drop on them or is an exceptionally better player in other ways (maneuvering, tactics, use of cover) etc..

The goal, generally, I think, is for players to use the low skill guns until they get a moment of inspiration of "I think I could make a high skill gun work" and then those players should find, after much practice, that they are marginally more successful with the high skill weapons.

I'm of the opinion that Destiny (pre-patch) suffered from having too wide a gap between pulse rifles of the dragon archetype and other weapons, shotguns notwithstanding. I haven't played post-patch, but I dislike the general limitation of usable weaponry from nerfing special ammo availability. I think it changes the game to be even more about map control and camping and less about aggressive assaults and blazes of glory.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 13:43 (2657 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That depends on many factors. I think the year 1 Destiny weapon balance showed some signs of a sandbox balanced around a lower skill level. Look at how insanely overpowered Hand Cannons proved to be in the hands of skilled players. Compared to an Auto Rifle or Pulse Rifle, a Hand Cannon is inherently punishing to use. The slow rate of fire and small clip size means that every missed shot is a big deal. Put a few low-skilled players against each other (players who have trouble keeping their reticule on target and miss more shots than they land) , and the hand cannons balance out decently well with the rest of the primary weapons. The problems became apparent when highly-skilled players started using them, because they rarely miss their shots. What seemed relatively balanced at certain skill levels was very unbalanced at the high end of play, because the weapons had very different levels of potential effectiveness.

The trick is that by nerfing hand cannons down to where they are now, they have become somewhat underpowered compared to the other primaries for players at lower skill levels.

Absolutely.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 13:34 (2657 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I agree with you in that the game designers jobs are to understand the problem from a technical nature and then be able to fix it. However, to stretch your metaphor a bit if the customer doesn't come in and tell you what kind of problem they are having (my instrument keeps going out of tune really fast) then you can't just magically solve their problem. So I think it's important that as Bungie is working on making these changes that they have some highly skilled players available to test them, because seeing what kinds of problems are caused by the changes at that skill level is very different than seeing the problems at lower skill levels. Ultimately it's important for the designers to test a wide range of skill levels.

Well said.

I've done sandbox FPS PvP balances before, AMA

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 17:10 (2656 days ago) @ BeardFade

As a former lead production tester, I've done a few sandbox PvP playtests for balance in my day. I've also had the honor of working directly with the devs who write the actual code for pvp balance on a handful of games.

"How can they fix it if they're so bad?"

The devs rarely, if ever, play their games in a competitive way. They usually want to see if the new thing they did works, or see the new thing someone else put into the game. There are usually a handful of exceptionally high skill devs, and those guys are typically of the following varieties:

- Top tier god level player who doesn't understand why other people can't beat his "simple" challenges which require pixel-perfect accuracy and millisecond-specific timing.

- Really really good players who insist on rebalancing the meta to fit their exact play style, letting them feel like god tier players when they really aren't. These guys often reinforce the god tier dev's opinions: "See? When shotguns were the only meta, Jim could finish my challenge, but now that you broke weapon balance he can't." But the actual problem is that the challenge is too hard. I hope that explanation makes sense.

- Terrible players who don't know why they're even working on an FPS. They just want to dance! These guys often have great insight, since they're always coming at the game from the perspective of a noob, but they also frequently discount their insight as "I'm just not very good" instead of truly identifying what's wrong. I include these guys in the "high skill" category here because they are incredibly highly skilled at being noobs, which is actually very, very difficult (possibly the most difficult thing) to do in terms of playtesting.

"Do they even test this?"

Yes, I'm sure they do. We playtested the crap out our games at every company I worked for. Balance is always being tested. So what gives? Honestly, I don't know. Hazarding a guess, I'm going to assume that bungie does not give its playtesters any respect when it comes to design elements. It certainly looks that way to me. Bungie also seems to ignore the meta when making changes, and seems prone to blanket nerfs once every few months rather than small adjustments on a more frequent basis (which is my preference in all cases). It's also possible that most people respect the hell out of the playtesters, but one head honcho type guy absolutely refuses to listen to reason and dictates "my way or the highway" to everyone beneath him. This would mesh with the shakeups we saw before the game launched, as well as changes since launch on a grander scale. It might not even be a Bungie employee; this could be edicts from Activision on High. I would also believe that (though, having worked at Activision and knowing Vohnderhaar personally, I would be very - VERY - surprised if it came out of his office. Either he's not involved in Destiny or it's someone over his head making the calls).

There's a third, sadder option, and that's that bungie is using a metrics-bases approach to game balance. This seems to be the case, since they LOVE to trot out the metrics and show us charts about which classes have the higher K/Ds etc.. The problem with a fully metrics-based approach is that if your metrics are off at all, you screw up the balance. For example, Bungie is showing us that Defenders have the lowest K/D and says "so they need a buff." No. No they don't. Your metrics aren't looking at how having a defender on the team improves the K/D of the surrounding players. K/D is not everything. If you pretend it is, then your balance will suck. This is, imo, the most likely scenario. Everyone means well, but the methodology they put in place to determine balance is fundamentally flawed and no one is going to bother to fix it at this stage in the game's life. Des2ny *might* go differently, but I have zero hope that D1 will. It's just too much work to fix with too little return.

Anyway, that's all just guesswork. The point is that I firmly believe there are testers who know that the play balance is fucked. There are coders who know it, too. I feel like the corporate culture around the game is the real hindrance, preventing positive changes, probably despite the best interests of everyone involved.

We can also infer from the way that most changes are blanket changes that the code of Destiny simply doesn't allow for weapon specific tweaks outside of exotics. That means whole classes of weapon have to change, which becomes a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Poor design at a fundamental level, most likely due to the PvP being an addition to the PvE game and not the basic building block upon which the rest of the game was constructed.

Anyway, if anyone has balance questions or playtesting questions (including methodology), feel free to ask me. I spent a lot of time making games and have very strong opinions on them as a result of my experience, as I'm sure you all know.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 17:24 (2656 days ago) @ Kahzgul

There's a third, sadder option, and that's that bungie is using a metrics-bases approach to game balance. This seems to be the case, since they LOVE to trot out the metrics and show us charts about which classes have the higher K/Ds etc.. The problem with a fully metrics-based approach is that if your metrics are off at all, you screw up the balance. For example, Bungie is showing us that Defenders have the lowest K/D and says "so they need a buff." No. No they don't. Your metrics aren't looking at how having a defender on the team improves the K/D of the surrounding players. K/D is not everything. If you pretend it is, then your balance will suck.

Why not look at WINS then? Especially in certain gametypes, K/D is less meaningful. They should see which subclasses can't win games. Ultimately, that's what matters in the end when it comes to balance.

by Durandal, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 18:05 (2656 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wins is a good metric. You also want to be wary of statistical artifacts. Back when I played WoT, the player balance in game suppressed the russian tank stats, so they constantly got buffs or had their most OP tanks left alone. The US tanks, with their 5% of the overall population, had major over representation in the stats and were always getting nerfs to their already tough play styles.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 19:34 (2656 days ago) @ Durandal

Wins is a good metric. You also want to be wary of statistical artifacts. Back when I played WoT, the player balance in game suppressed the russian tank stats, so they constantly got buffs or had their most OP tanks left alone. The US tanks, with their 5% of the overall population, had major over representation in the stats and were always getting nerfs to their already tough play styles.

Skill gaps can complicate statistical analysis quite a bit.

A good example in Destiny would be a weapon like No Land Beyond. In the hands of a poor-to-average player, it is almost useless. But put it in the hands of a very skilled player, and it can dominate the match. So while it might not see widespread use the way Mida or TLW do, that doesn't mean it is underpowered or needs a buff.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, February 11, 2017, 06:37 (2655 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Skill gaps can complicate statistical analysis quite a bit.

A good example in Destiny would be a weapon like No Land Beyond. In the hands of a poor-to-average player, it is almost useless. But put it in the hands of a very skilled player, and it can dominate the match. So while it might not see widespread use the way Mida or TLW do, that doesn't mean it is underpowered or needs a buff.

Agreed. Quickscoping is an interesting thing. When CoD: MW came out, it wasn't on the designer's radar at all. They didn't think it was a possible thing so they didn't design around it. None of the testers did it either. And then some guy on the internet posted a video of him quickscoping the shit out of everyone and - holy cow - it became a thing. Now, of course, designers design around it, making weapons specifically for quickscopers (and balancing them accordingly as very high skill = high reward weapons).

Weapon balance in most FPS games is such that you balance for the professional tier of players and let the trickle-down low skill weapons fall where they may. This is why I really liked vanilla destiny's pvp balance. At low skill levels the AR was king because it was the easiest gun to use. As you got better and better it became more and more about the slower RoF weapons, ultimately landing on shotguns and snipers as the be-all-end-all weapons in the game. Somewhere along the line some of the lower skill guns got buffed and became low-skill = high reward, while the higher skill guns were nerfed down to high skill = above average reward. That was then overcorrected such that high skill guns became the only viable guns at all for a while, then overcorrected again to the pulse rifle meta we've had for a few months, and now we're going to (I predict) hand cannons and scout rifles meta simply due to starving everyone for special ammo. We'll see. My god roll Spare Change .25 is going to get dusted off soon, and maybe it'll be her time to shine.

Titanfall is an interesting outlier here in the realm of weapon balance, as they generally give you the best guns in the game right off the bat, but then encourage you to use worse options in order to level up more quickly. It's really smart. Since everyone has access to top tier guns, there's no need to balance the rest of the weapons - just make sure they're worse than the best guns and you're good to go. People will still use them if they want to optimize leveling up over getting kills. Very, very clever.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, February 11, 2017, 05:59 (2655 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's a third, sadder option, and that's that bungie is using a metrics-bases approach to game balance. This seems to be the case, since they LOVE to trot out the metrics and show us charts about which classes have the higher K/Ds etc.. The problem with a fully metrics-based approach is that if your metrics are off at all, you screw up the balance. For example, Bungie is showing us that Defenders have the lowest K/D and says "so they need a buff." No. No they don't. Your metrics aren't looking at how having a defender on the team improves the K/D of the surrounding players. K/D is not everything. If you pretend it is, then your balance will suck.

Why not look at WINS then? Especially in certain gametypes, K/D is less meaningful. They should see which subclasses can't win games. Ultimately, that's what matters in the end when it comes to balance.

Wins is a pretty good metric, but the fact of the matter is that no single metric is useful enough on its own to justify a sandbox change, unless the margin is massive. Like, for example, if Defenders had a 0 K/D across the board, they'd obviously need changes. I don't really want to say "a buff" because maybe their teammates never die or something, but it's a clear sign that something is broken (again, unless the design intent is for them to never be able to kill anything). In team gametypes, it's also tricky because unless wins increase with the number of, say, gunslingers on a team, all the way to 6 gunslingers having the highest win percentage, there's usually some break-even point where adding more of a single class and/or spec actually hurts the team rather than helps it. Positive reinforcement for same-class-ness is good, but you also want to counter it with an opportunity cost for combo play between classes and specs. In short, you want your players to feel like they can bring pretty much whatever class and spec they want into a game and be successful. At the highest tier of play, you want teams to be able to plan class and spec composition for ideal synergy, but you don't want that to be more important than basic game skill.

For balance testing, you want to eliminate variables, so a test plan for, say, class balance (and I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but this is basically how I'd go about setting it up), would be to start with one class and make my guys all play that one class, with identical specs, for several games of rumble. This gives us a baseline for "player X is better than player Y in this scenario." Then we take a player who landed in the middle of the pack and have him change his spec to our designed "ideal" spec, and then run the same number of matches again. Did that change affect his standing in a meaningful way? Now let's have everyone go to an ideal spec. Are we back to the original numbers or did we find a magnifying or minimizing result in the variations? This is where the internet is hugely useful, because you can quickly determine what specs people view as the most powerful, regardless of the intent of the design (and you can compare the two if they don't match). We'd want to do that with an intentionally stupid spec as well, and then with some random specs and some "try this and see if it works" specs, too. After running, say, gunslingers, we'd then run this whole test with all bladedancers, and then all nightstalkers (identical weapons for all at every step of this process). Then we'd do the same for titans and warlocks. Only after all of this would we take our testers into class vs class/spec vs. spec games. Again, the internet is helpful for metrics here, but you have to normalize for popularity of classes, whether or not the guns have ideal rolls, etc.. So now you can tweak the classes around to get them all behaving about how you want them to relative to one another.

Next you have to tweak guns. Start with designed perfect rolls on everything and balance the entire weapon class assuming such a roll (because players *want* ideal rolls, and don't want crap rolls, it's safer to start from a place of perfection than to start from a place of mediocrity or crap - in a long enough timeline, everyone will end up with a perfect roll eventually, so that's where balance should be done). For weapons testing you would want to make sure everyone has identical classes, so you can, again, eliminate variables.

Then you need to balance the weapons with the class abilities... This takes a very long time.

Throughout this whole process, I'd probably be reassigning the very best testers (not necessarily the best players) to separate playtest teams, letting them get creative in their builds to see if they could find class and weapons combos that would break balance. And of course we need to stay in constant communication with the pvp sandbox designer to ensure that our sense of balance is meeting the design goals and vice versa.

So there's at least a month of testing for initial balance. BUT... once you attain that, you can make small tweaks on a weekly basis to reduce anomalies. Maybe ARs are getting way more kills than you expected. Adjust the range 1 yard closer. Or very slightly increase the recoil spread. If it's not enough, you can make further tweaks next week, and so forth, until the gun is performing where you want it to.

Generally speaking, I find Bungie's MO to be giant massive huge sandbox changes every few months, which results in essentially a reset of the entire testing process and the meta shifting largely to favor (or not) certain weapons. This would not be my desired approach. Testing for PvP is never good enough to match the real world, which is why I don't like large changes to the meta in any patch nearly as much as small, incremental changes.

If I am an expert noob, can I have a job?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 17:58 (2656 days ago) @ Kahzgul

No but seriously, thanks for the insight. Do you think the noobs at Bingle might have had too much say at the beginning, and when they realized how quickly the playerbase got good, they stopped listening to them, and that's why the game is getting harder and harder with worse weapons?

If I am an expert noob, can I have a job?

by Kahzgul, Saturday, February 11, 2017, 06:09 (2655 days ago) @ Funkmon

No but seriously, thanks for the insight. Do you think the noobs at Bingle might have had too much say at the beginning, and when they realized how quickly the playerbase got good, they stopped listening to them, and that's why the game is getting harder and harder with worse weapons?

Yes, you probably could. I'm serious when I say that finding someone who is great at having "new player eyes" at a game is very, very hard to do. The few guys with that talent usually rotate between projects so as to keep them even fresher, and because there aren't enough of them to go around (when I was at activision we had about 300 testers and maybe 3 guys who were good at new player experience testing).

I do not think that the noobs at Bungie had too much say. If anything, I think they had not enough. The new player experience of this game is pretty confusing and rocky. Imagine a world where you're brand new and know nothing of the grimoire. The game doesn't make a lick of sense. The player control is also incredibly well refined, which requires a degree of skill in the game to even recognize, let alone properly test. Bungie has shown that they pay attention the game control down to the frame (as they should), and that means there are most certainly expert players giving feedback every day.

The difficulties of having an all-expert team, however, are that - especially in a game this old - everyone gets a favorite class and spec and gun and playstyle and they will say and do anything to keep their build on top. You start having to force people to test, say, high RoF shotguns or medium damage fusions rifles, and they resent you for it expressly because they aren't as good with those guns (or those guns aren't as good and they know it), and then they give misleading feedback (not intentionally, but as a result).

Hopefully you have a team that is constantly changing their builds, gear, specs, control schemes, etc.. to keep things new and fresh, but I can't say if they are or not. It does really feel like the balance changes are done in a fairly tone deaf way that is less interested in actual gameplay outcomes and more interested in metrics-based adjustments. Pure speculation on my part, however.

Keep in mind that the designers may very well feel like the best pvp game is one without fusion rifles, and so they intentionally nerf those all the time. I can't say. I happen to like a game where every weapon can be top tier, but I also know that's a pipe dream in any game. Still, I hope every FPS designer thinks to himself "Every weapon in my game should justify its own existence there, and not simply to illustrate how much better some other gun is."

I believe you are "in error where the truth is involved."

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 17:59 (2656 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 18:14

There's a third, sadder option, and that's that bungie is using a metrics-bases approach to game balance. This seems to be the case, since they LOVE to trot out the metrics and show us charts about which classes have the higher K/Ds etc.. The problem with a fully metrics-based approach is that if your metrics are off at all, you screw up the balance. For example, Bungie is showing us that Defenders have the lowest K/D and says "so they need a buff." No. No they don't. Your metrics aren't looking at how having a defender on the team improves the K/D of the surrounding players. K/D is not everything. If you pretend it is, then your balance will suck. This is, imo, the most likely scenario. Everyone means well, but the methodology they put in place to determine balance is fundamentally flawed and no one is going to bother to fix it at this stage in the game's life. Des2ny *might* go differently, but I have zero hope that D1 will. It's just too much work to fix with too little return.

We at least have an idea that Bungie looks at more than just the stats. Your (hypothetical?) example of the Defender, for instance, is exactly 100% opposite of what actually did happen. Bungie acknowledged that the Defender was getting a lower k/d in their subclass chart but then noted that teams with Defenders tended to fare better in terms of wins. That's why the only buffs the Defender got was an instant restock of grenades and melee when using Ward of Dawn instead of something more significant.

Another example was a refusal to do much to change the MIDA Multi-tool. They said that yes, it was pretty good and (at least at one point in time) was being widely used, but even though the chart showed it to be a gun that was getting used a lot they also recognized that it was actually a pretty well balanced gun that didn't need a nerf.

Totally agree though that they should update more frequently. This whole thing with the Clever Dragon being superior at any range for months really got on my nerves. But I don't think your sad third option is the way things actually work at Bungie. At all.

I believe speculation is exactly that.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, February 11, 2017, 06:24 (2655 days ago) @ Ragashingo

We at least have an idea that Bungie looks at more than just the stats. Your (hypothetical?) example of the Defender, for instance, is exactly 100% opposite of what actually did happen. Bungie acknowledged that the Defender was getting a lower k/d in their subclass chart but then noted that teams with Defenders tended to fare better in terms of wins. That's why the only buffs the Defender got was an instant restock of grenades and melee when using Ward of Dawn instead of something more significant.

Another example was a refusal to do much to change the MIDA Multi-tool. They said that yes, it was pretty good and (at least at one point in time) was being widely used, but even though the chart showed it to be a gun that was getting used a lot they also recognized that it was actually a pretty well balanced gun that didn't need a nerf.

Totally agree though that they should update more frequently. This whole thing with the Clever Dragon being superior at any range for months really got on my nerves. But I don't think your sad third option is the way things actually work at Bungie. At all.

It's totally fair to think that, and I see your points. I have a differing guess as to what's going on, but they're all guesses. I'm an expert at testing methodology, but am also not a mind-reader or soothsayer and I have no idea what is truly going on behind closed doors. I strongly doubt it's the sort of machiavellian conspiracy that reddit sometimes postulates. I also doubt that Bungie is following what I would consider to be best practices when it comes to design, testing, and implementation of an FPS PvP test plan. For what it's worth, I'm certain that my idea of best practices is not the same as anyone else's idea; this is all just opinion and conjecture with no real evidence to back up any of it.

That being said, I think your MIDA example is an interesting test case. You're using it to illustrate that a metrics-based approach showed MIDA is fine. I accept that. I do, however, believe that the fact that MIDA is fine is being used to ignore the fact that, in all cases, MIDA is a superior scout rifle to every other scout rifle in the same damage archetype. That, I believe, is not at all fine. Why have any legendary low damage scouts if they are just completely outclassed by this one gun? Why balance the entire archetype around an exotic, locking out players who wish to use a low damage scout from using an exotic special or heavy weapon if they want to be as powerful the metrics indicate they should be in pvp?

Of course, I'm assuming Bungie would want legendary scouts in the low-damage archetype to be viable because I would want legendary scouts in the low-damage archetype to be viable. This appears to not be the case.

Occam's razor tells me that either Bungie's design goals for pvp are for the number of viable weapons to be a tiny fraction of the number of available weapons (in which case they're pretty much nailing it), or that Bungie's play balancing practices leave much to be desired.

Since the communication out of Bungie has really told us nothing about their pvp sandbox philosophy, we don't know if they want pvp to be "bring your favorite guns" or "bring the guns we've decided should be viable" or even "there should only be one viable spec per class, gun per slot, and style of play, period." We don't know. I think the first option is the most fun and the most inclusive, thus encouraging the most players to play the pvp game, and so that's the one I am constantly rooting for, but - as you say - I may very well be in error where the truth is involved.

Exotic changes: (not finished)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 16:59 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- Universal Remote:
- Truth:
- Young Wolves Howl:
- Shinobu's Vow:

Artifact's untouched

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:00 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

-Skorri's camping will still happen in Trials

Artifact's untouched

by squidnh3, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:21 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

Is this actually common? I haven't played a ton of Trials lately, but have yet to encounter full dedication to this strategy. It also doesn't actually seem that good, you still need someone on your team to get a super, and then not use it.

Maybe teams with sunsingers?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:41 (2657 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

Artifact's untouched

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 17:43 (2657 days ago) @ squidnh3

Is this actually common? I haven't played a ton of Trials lately, but have yet to encounter full dedication to this strategy. It also doesn't actually seem that good, you still need someone on your team to get a super, and then not use it.

As someone who like to run Tether to suppress supers it's a great artifact to use to help my teammates.

You like to run Tlaloc which only is useful when you have your super full. Skorri's works good for that also.

You'd be surprised at the number of teams who like to run skorri's

Artifact's untouched

by squidnh3, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:17 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

True, but I was under the impression that it was specifically the Skorri camping strategy people were concerned about (that I haven't encountered). Or are they concerned with it being too powerful in normal use?

Artifact's untouched

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 19:07 (2657 days ago) @ squidnh3

Skorri's cuts the super time in half for a teammate that is within 8 meters of the player with a charged super.

For instance, a bladedancer with Tier 5 intellect will take 4 minutes to charge a super fully without any kills. When you combine that with skorri's from a teammate the time is reduced down to 2 minutes from empty to full. In a 3v3 elimination game mode you can literally have one to two teammates with a roaming super per round if you really wanted to.

Once a teammate has their super they can just sit back and force the other team to either come at them in their spawn, or just play very defensively in general while they build their teammates super.

Artifact's untouched

by ShadowDancing, CA, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 21:12 (2657 days ago) @ unoudid

especially since some of the subclasses have perks to reduce super cool down (defender, night stalker) to feed this.

But the most complaining I've seen has been in conjunction with the Sunsinger glitch, which is in active use in Trials.

Artifact's untouched

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 22:22 (2657 days ago) @ squidnh3

you still need someone on your team to get a super, and then not use it.

I'd be perfect for this.

Lol.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 18:22 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Reminder: Sandbox Update Stream at 10 AM Pacific Today

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 02:11 (2657 days ago) @ CyberKN

Pretty much all good changes. I was wary of the new restrictions on Special ammo, but having the green boxes respawn every minute might just be enough to balance things out. My only concern at this point is whether running over a slight bump is going to cancel out Juggernaut Shield too soon similar to the way it would vanish completely at random times back before it was allowed to persist into a jump...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread