Do any games give you air motion sickness? *OT*

by Avateur @, Friday, August 02, 2013, 12:37 (3928 days ago)

I'm curious because of the replies down low regarding Marathon on the 360. I remember people mentioning getting sick to their stomachs or getting headaches back when it first came out on XBLA, and I thought maybe it was isolated. But then there are games like Portal and Portal 2 where I know many, many people who can't even watch them being played for more than maybe five minutes without getting ready to throw up.

I've personally never come across a game that makes me dizzy, nauseous, etc., so I'm curious about the games that make others sick.

Does it happen when you play? Watch? Both? Does it happen after a few minutes, or a few hours? Certain genres? Just certain games?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, August 02, 2013, 12:52 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

I've had feelings of vertigo, but nothing inducing illness. Ace Combat comes to mind right away, where I've also instinctively ducked while flying under objects. I think Asscreed, Skyrim, and Mirror's Edge come to mind as well. Just... having a feeling of motion, I suppose.

by electricpirate @, Friday, August 02, 2013, 13:17 (3928 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Not an FPS, but the amazing super Hexagon did it to me once.

I mean, I was on the subway too, I'm sure that didn't help.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 02, 2013, 13:14 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

Nah. Portal is fine for me. Closest I ever got was turning off the dot on Mirror's Edge. Even that is just a slight disorientation.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 02, 2013, 13:20 (3928 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Marathon 2 XBLA is a problem for me.

I've gotten a little disoriented during flinging in Portal. With a bigger TV (or a Oculus Rift) that might be a problem.

My old roommate in college can't play any game on a screen bigger than a Mac Classic's. I remember he spent a good bit of his time staring at his shows when we went to go see the Blair Witch Project.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Friday, August 02, 2013, 13:22 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

As I already mentioned in the other thread, I do suffer headaches every time I play Marathon on the 360.

Interestingly enough, no other games have even come close.

Then again, Crackdown gave me a headache after about 15 minutes last night. I couldn't tell if it was motion sickness or the fact that 500+ NPCs were shooting at me. Ehhh....

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, August 02, 2013, 13:33 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm curious because of the replies down low regarding Marathon on the 360. I remember people mentioning getting sick to their stomachs or getting headaches back when it first came out on XBLA, and I thought maybe it was isolated. But then there are games like Portal and Portal 2 where I know many, many people who can't even watch them being played for more than maybe five minutes without getting ready to throw up.

I've personally never come across a game that makes me dizzy, nauseous, etc., so I'm curious about the games that make others sick.

Does it happen when you play? Watch? Both? Does it happen after a few minutes, or a few hours? Certain genres? Just certain games?

I've mentioned it before on this forum, but Mirror's Edge, Marathon, and especially Halo's Forge mode initiates nausea mode after about 15 minutes.

I'm not sure about watching other people play, as I'm usually all alone, boohoo.

Nope, never...

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, August 02, 2013, 14:00 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

...Though watching my wife play anything first-person (e.g. Skyrim) is a wee bit disorienting for me at times, but that's mostly because she usually throws her avatar about like a drunk puppet. I've never been able to determine if she's trying to use her avatar like a club or if she's hoping to so thoroughly disorient the enemy with her chaotic body movements that they fall over all on their own. :)

Marathon after a minute or so

by scarab @, Friday, August 02, 2013, 14:18 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

I feel nauseous for an hour or two afterwards.

COD or Medal of Honor had the same effect (maybe it was just the floral wallpaper in those French villages).

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 02, 2013, 17:34 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

I play on a projector in my game room. The only game I remember making me feel dizzy was during the roadie running in Gears of War. Sometimes I would also get vertigo while playing Marble Blast Ultra. I had a roommate nearly pass out from watching me play that, but he had also taken a lot of cold medicine right before.

Nope

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 02, 2013, 18:09 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

But playing Borderlands 2 with a mouse gives me eye-related headaches a few minutes after I quit, as do scrolling large paragraphs on MacBooks.

Oh! The Ark intro! Almost forgot it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, August 03, 2013, 08:54 (3927 days ago) @ ZackDark

The first time I saw it, it was on a single-seating playthrough of H3 at night and I was exhausted by that point, so I totally felt my stomach lurch when the Pelican dropped.

Never again, though... Pity. It was an awesome feeling to have during that cutscene.

Nope

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, August 02, 2013, 18:38 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Friday, August 02, 2013, 19:51 (3928 days ago) @ Avateur

I tried the Portal demo and I couldn't play it for more the 30 seconds before getting dizzy.

I've never became sick to my stomach from a video game but Crackdown gives me a terrible case of Vertigo that makes me dizzy, and I don't have to have my character very high off the ground to experience it. It takes just a few seconds for the Vertigo to kick in. My first time climbing the Agency Tower I actually experienced mild stomach cramps but I wasn't nauseous.

I'm still somewhat confused when I developed the fear of heights, because as a kid, I spent more time climbing very tall trees (most were over 100 feet tall) and I never experience the effects of Vertigo! I think I literally spent more time in trees as a kid then I did being on the ground.

Riding as the passenger in a Warthog makes me dizzy. It's the side to side swaying of the front of the vehicle and the up down motion of the front of the vehicle that does it to me and it takes only a few seconds.

by marmot 1333 @, Saturday, August 03, 2013, 06:42 (3927 days ago) @ Avateur

I don't get motion sickness but I do get a vertigo-like feeling when jumping from a very high height in video games. It makes me squirm in my seat until the character hits the ground.

The first time I remember this happening was playing Ocarina of Time at a friends house in 1998--jumping from the highest point I could find in the village with the Windmill.

It also happens with Assassin's Creed, particularly the highest tower in ACII.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 10:04 (3926 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I don't get motion sickness but I do get a vertigo-like feeling when jumping from a very high height in video games. It makes me squirm in my seat until the character hits the ground.

I get this sometimes too, and I had a few moments in the first few levels of Portal where I felt something a lot like vertigo or dizziness; other than those, I don't get it either.

by Jillybean, Saturday, August 03, 2013, 08:00 (3927 days ago) @ Avateur

I find the floating houses in Bioshock Infinite a little disconcerting - but I never get motion sickness, so I'm not entirely sure why!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, August 03, 2013, 21:37 (3927 days ago) @ Avateur

Bulletstorm is the only one that I can recall. I couldn't play that without getting a headache... To a much lesser extent, Duke Nukem Forever was a strain, but I think that had more to do with the muddy visuals and choppy framerate...

by crazybydefault @, Seattle, WA, Monday, August 05, 2013, 14:16 (3925 days ago) @ Avateur

Smash Bros, as a matter of fact. I wouldn't describe it as motion sickness, but it definitely gives me a headache after a period of time. It's the only game where tracking the rapid movements of my character will mess with my head in some way.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, August 05, 2013, 17:11 (3925 days ago) @ Avateur

Thankfully, I don't seem to get motion sickness from any source.

I wonder why Marathon in particular seems to do it for so many people? This isn't the first time I've heard it called out specifically. I get why something like Portal would trigger motion sickness, but what about Marathon would set it apart from other first-person games?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, August 05, 2013, 18:56 (3925 days ago) @ stabbim

I wonder why Marathon in particular seems to do it for so many people? This isn't the first time I've heard it called out specifically. I get why something like Portal would trigger motion sickness, but what about Marathon would set it apart from other first-person games?

There are a lot of possible causes.

It's got faster motion than most modern games and an interesting flow of in-game movement.

Some people might take issue with the use of sprites for some objects which would be handled by 3d models in modern games.

But one thing that I suspect might be an issue is the perspective projection; it literally does not account for the pitch of the camera, only the yaw.
Imagine that the camera is always looking toward the horizon, and you have an 80-degree horizontal field of view, but your field of view is massive in the vertical direction; that is, it's a very thin and tall image, letting you can see way up and way down. BUT, suppose someone lays a viewing window over the image so that you can only see 80-FOV slices with a 2:1 aspect ratio at any given time; to see the whole thing, you have to slide the viewing window up and down. That's basically how looking up and down in Marathon works. It's a really efficient graphical approximation for a game with that sort of engine; for instance, Doom does the same thing, but it's not apparant in the original version of Doom because it doesn't let you look up and down.

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but...

by Gatchaman, UK, Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 15:44 (3917 days ago) @ Avateur

After seeing this, I had to mention Kula World for the PS1. Picked it up again on the PSN Store recently.
I don't experience motion sickness with any other game, but this gets me going after about a dozen levels, every time. (Whether I'm playing or watching)

The colours, the shapes, the sounds, the shifting perspective and gravity, it combines to make a thoroughly nauseous experience. Which is a real shame, because the idea of the game is sound, and the puzzles become quite neat!

Here's a vid: http://youtu.be/QvBfo-Q5iAk

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread