I liked Brothers (the game) *OT*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 12, 2013, 11:50 (3918 days ago)

There, I said it. What the hell.

My thumbs now have distinct personalities, however.

Haven't played it yet, planning on it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, August 12, 2013, 11:55 (3918 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Jillybean, Monday, August 12, 2013, 12:56 (3918 days ago) @ Kermit

You and Penny Arcade both it seems.

Will I need to have seen the film to get it?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 12, 2013, 15:45 (3918 days ago) @ Jillybean

I didn't even know there was a film.

This one?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, August 12, 2013, 15:53 (3918 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Now that would be a game worth having to use both thumbsticks for.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 12, 2013, 19:02 (3918 days ago) @ Kermit

To expand on my thoughts, it's a good story, told without words. The music became overbearing at times, but story and gameplay worked together very well. I would say this: although you could complete it in several hours, be sure to explore and take your time. I wouldn't say the game had side quests, but it does have side activities that reveal character.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, August 12, 2013, 20:56 (3918 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, August 12, 2013, 21:49

Thanks for the expansion on your opinion.

I don't really play any Arcade/Indie games on the 360 - barely play any retail games anymore either...
However, since Brothers is featured in the bogus "Summer of Arcade"* that has been advertised on the menu tiles, I saw the video and was intrigued by the 'puzzle-ish' gameplay, warmth, and art style so I played the demo/trial the other day, and liked it (in a childish, guilty pleasure, sort of way - the town slightly reminds me a tad bit of The Shire).
I couldn't help but wonder, is the full game worth the full 1200 space points? How large is the world they are in, does it leave the door open for DLC (and a possible discount in the near future)?

Based on the few achievements, I feel like it would be a short game. Seems like a number of the achievements are right within the demo area in the main town. It is fun to explore and see the different characterizations, but that only goes so far in such a seemingly limited world.

*I call the "Summer of Arcade" bogus because Summer is almost over. How can it be Summer of Arcade when so much of the summer has already expired? Did I miss the prior sales this summer? I recall this being an annual sale, but it is really grinding my gears this time around.
Also, How is a Soul Pack for a game that I do not own, a "reward" for participating in their Summer 'sale'?????

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 04:19 (3918 days ago) @ Pyromancy

You leave the town shortly after where the demo stops. Each brother interacts differently with objects and people. The puzzles are inventive throughout. I played it once and managed not to get any achievements. I played it again and got them, and getting them made me realize I hadn't explored as much as I thought. It's not a difficult game, but I really enjoyed the 5-6 hours I spent with it. I an sure it will go on sale at some point, but i was glad to give the developers money. Some of the visuals are breathtaking and worth the price of admission for me.

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 06:02 (3918 days ago) @ Pyromancy

For the past 4 years every single "summer of arcade" title has been discounted by 50% within six months of release.

You can save quite a bit of money by waiting.

by Jillybean, Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 13:01 (3917 days ago) @ Kermit

I've no idea why but I was under the impression it was a spin off from a Disney film.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 13:48 (3917 days ago) @ Jillybean

Nah, it's much too Grimm.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread