VoG helmet evocative of something else (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 14:55 (2546 days ago)

I've been wracking my brain to figure out what this makes me think of:

[image]

Found it!

Man, that was such an okay movie...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 15:18 (2546 days ago) @ Kermit

I've been wracking my brain to figure out what this makes me think of:

[image]

Found it!

Nothing bad to say, really. It was worth a watch!
Also, totally spot-on observation. I hadn't even seen the Titan VoG helmet yet, but it totally would have scratched at me too.

Man, that was such an okay movie...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 17:36 (2546 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah, not the greatest anime ever, but I liked the art style.

A Good Wi-Fi Signal?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 16:22 (2546 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 16:57 (2546 days ago) @ Kermit

My Exo Titan has been rocking bunny ears for as long as I can remember. At first it was any helmet that had those swept back fins on them, because what was not to like? But post first season of SRL? ALL BUNNY EARS, ALL THE TIME. There is no other helmet good enough. I will not switch out my SRL gear. It's as close to a unique piece of kit as I can get, since the chances of bumping into anyone ever using it outside of SRL are near zero. Unique is a powerful motivator when all the legendary gear either is ugly, looks the same, or is on everyone's head. The day Destiny 2 drops and I have to actually give it up, I will has a sad.

What's the requirement for bagging that raid helmet? Or is it all down to RNGeesus? Destiny dropped into low-gear for me just before RoI; about all I do anymore is jump in once a month to run a few strikes or a nightfall for a laugh. If there's a guaranteed way to bag that helmet though... I'm gonna have to look at dragging some of my friends into the Vault again.

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 17:05 (2546 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

What's the requirement for bagging that raid helmet? Or is it all down to RNGeesus? Destiny dropped into low-gear for me just before RoI; about all I do anymore is jump in once a month to run a few strikes or a nightfall for a laugh. If there's a guaranteed way to bag that helmet though... I'm gonna have to look at dragging some of my friends into the Vault again.

It drops from Atheon. I've had good luck grabbing a fair few different rolls using knuckles.

Oh, and you'll need a couple triumph ornaments to switch the appearance.

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 17:14 (2546 days ago) @ CyberKN

It drops from Atheon. I've had good luck grabbing a fair few different rolls using knuckles.

[/b]
[image]
They couldn't make it easy. Because of course.

Oh how I miss the days when I wasn't forced to be an adult. It sucks.

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 18:25 (2546 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

[/b]
[image]

Except it is easy. Just complete the challenge mode of any weekly raid for guaranteed ornaments.

The helmet is up to RNG from Atheon, but with Knuckles of Eao (also a guaranteed drop from simply doing the first part of a Weekly raid), you are guaranteed triple drops from Atheon, which means you're very likely to get a helmet...

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 22:27 (2545 days ago) @ Korny

Except it is easy. Just complete the challenge mode of any weekly raid for guaranteed ornaments.

The helmet is up to RNG from Atheon, but with Knuckles of Eao (also a guaranteed drop from simply doing the first part of a Weekly raid), you are guaranteed triple drops from Atheon, which means you're very likely to get a helmet...

Complete challenge mode!? With us??

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 17:01 (2545 days ago) @ Korny

Unless you don't have a character near a decent light level (my titan is 374 and the highest), and you don't have a solid group to play with, and you never really got into raiding in the first place because it was too much of a hassle and no one had the time, and you still don't have the time because LIFEWTF and you're surely not going to ask five other people to carry you around just so you can get a stupid helmet.

Even if I do want the hell out of it.

So yeah. Easy aside from all that.

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 17:36 (2545 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286
edited by Korny, Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 17:41

Unless you don't have a character near a decent light level (my titan is 374 and the highest)

Except it's been pretty well established that a person at 370+ Light shouldn't have much trouble doing a Challenge mode raid. To remain at low Light these days, you have to pretty much be going out of your way to avoid increasing your Light Level. Even doing Iron Banner this week will bring your Light Level up comically fast (Fast Mayhem matches, easy IB bounties, 3oC, higher loot drop rate as you level up... Just make sure that you do the Nightfall, which helps buff IB gains).

and you don't have a solid group to play with, and you never really got into raiding in the first place because it was too much of a hassle and no one had the time, and you still don't have the time because LIFEWTF and you're surely not going to ask five other people to carry you around just so you can get a stupid helmet.

Not sure what kind of people you're hanging around over there, but there is a Fireteam Builder here at this very site that you can use in accordance with your schedule.
Heck, a couple of weeks ago, Bonkle let us know that he needed a complete run of the Machine Wrath Raid the same night that a Weekly Raid completion was scheduled. Not only did we get him in on the Hard mode completion, but we immediately ran the whole raid again for him. You'd be amazed at how far you can get when you simply ask people. I hear the Xbox folks carry squeakers, randoms, and even Funkmon all the time!

You're the only thing holding you back. We all have real lives.

Well.....The RIGHT People.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 02:49 (2544 days ago) @ Korny

That is, only if you're doing what everyone else wants to do.

And post it several weeks in advance...no weekdays...can't be on the same day as someone else's event, much less the same time...nothing past 7pm...

Maybe don't use the Fireteam Builder.

Best thing you can do is send friend requests to the most active DBOers, then asking(or begging) for their help the minute you're ready. They'll be MUCH more amenable in the now.

There are plenty of examples in my case, but last night was a really good shining inspiration.

A couple of days ago, I had posted an Iron Banner FTB, and (yep) only two people signed up. They both arrived thankfully, but couldn't stay long. I look at my friends list and see four people on IB. I sent them each a message, and less than 10 minutes later...

(well, I would show you a link or picture, but apparently according to B.net, I've never played a single game of Iron Banner in my entire three year career of Destiny's history, despite being Rank 5. *Morpheus414 facepalms*)

There you go. A full fireteam of 6--and we all had a good time, helped each other out and grew closer as a community!

My point is, that box is just the internet version of a string around the finger. Just get on whenever you feel like, and ask anyone of your friends online! At least there, you'll get a response, even if it's a no.

Well.....The RIGHT People.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 14:54 (2544 days ago) @ Morpheus

A couple of days ago, I had posted an Iron Banner FTB, and (yep) only two people signed up. They both arrived thankfully, but couldn't stay long. I look at my friends list and see four people on IB. I sent them each a message, and less than 10 minutes later...

This is not really what the FTB is for, or about. There are DBO people playing IB EVERY SINGLE NIGHT OF AN IB WEEK, and this has been true for every single IB event Bungie has ever hosted.

Fifteen minutes before you joined us, I got on, saw a group of DBOers playing, and shot one a note - "if a spot opens up, shoot me an invite". I immediately got a party invite. Mal was already waiting for a slot - how about if Mal and I start up a second group? Fine idea - so we did. Two games in, you messaged - and within another 20 minutes, we had a team of 6.

The Fire Team Builder was designed more for long-term, harder-to-gather events - Raids and such. IB (really, any Crucible activity) is a drop-in, drop out event with 10-minute increments; yes, it's better to play with a full team, but scheduling to do that is probably going to be unproductive, since most of the people doing it aren't going to bother looking for events. They're just going to jump on and play.

(Yes, I know you've had trouble getting raids together, too, and I find that rather odd, but can't explain it. But this particular instance? Easy to explain.)

Kermit's 7 Steps for Successful Fireteam Formation

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 14:37 (2544 days ago) @ Korny

1. Play at the same time every week and show your online status.

2. Have real-life friends (preferably since childhood) or family members who play Destiny the same night and time that you do every week.

3. Be accepting. Use the fireteam builder without expectation. If people don't sign up it may or may not have anything to do with you. (See #5.) You also may have to play with the guy who treats chat as his night at the Improv, or Mr. Non-sequitur, or Joe Whinybutt. People are weird, but they’re playing with YOU, and you might not realize how irritating you are to them.

4. Be competent. One hopes this is less important, but it is without a doubt a factor if you are considered a liability to achieve the task at hand.

5. Avoid making passive-aggressive posts on the internet about how people on the internet don’t sign up for your events. It gives the impression that those people are onto something.

6. Be supportive and positive. Take an interest in people. They’re not just names filling your roster. Don’t begin every sentence with “I.” Pro tip: this works wonders in real life, too.

7. Follow step six and it inevitably leads to step seven, which is make real-life friends (or the equivalent) who want to play with you. They may forgive your failure to follow the other steps.

Disclaimer: I don’t call these Kermit’s steps because it’s what I do. Far from it, but I don’t need to tell that to most of you. (This post itself comes dangerously close to violating step five.) I’d like to have a more regular group on the Xbox, for instance, but it’s no one’s fault but mine if I don’t. I wrote these as reminders for me.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, May 11, 2017, 14:55 (2544 days ago) @ Kermit

4. Be competent. One hopes this is less important, but it is without a doubt a factor if you are considered a liability to achieve the task at hand.

I always imagine an event coordinator logging into the forum and seeing that I signed up for their raid and letting out an exasperated sigh. Everyone is always really nice and patient though.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 14:57 (2544 days ago) @ ManKitten

I always imagine an event coordinator logging into the forum and seeing that I signed up for their raid and letting out an exasperated sigh. Everyone is always really nice and patient though.

There is, and always will be, a difference between inexperience and incompetence. And all the self-effacement in the world won't change that. :)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 16:23 (2544 days ago) @ Claude Errera

There is, and always will be, a difference between inexperience and incompetence. And all the self-effacement in the world won't change that. :)

It ain't self-effacement if it's true!

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, May 11, 2017, 16:39 (2544 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

;)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 19:00 (2543 days ago) @ ManKitten

[image]

;)

Yeah, like you could EVER get away with a comparison to Kevin Hart. :) YOU'RE, LIKE, 8 FEET TALLER THAN HE IS

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 15:37 (2544 days ago) @ Kermit

You also may have to play with the guy who treats chat as his night at the Improv, or Mr. Non-sequitur, or Joe Whinybutt.

Uh oh. Not sure which one I am.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 15:47 (2544 days ago) @ Funkmon

Don't put yourself in a box. ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 15:57 (2544 days ago) @ Kermit

Don't put yourself in a box. ;)

Post if the year, right there ^

XD

rofl

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 11, 2017, 16:01 (2544 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Probably the inspiration for #4

by ProbablyLast, Friday, May 12, 2017, 13:42 (2543 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 18:54 (2544 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Unless you don't have a character near a decent light level (my titan is 374 and the highest), and you don't have a solid group to play with, and you never really got into raiding in the first place because it was too much of a hassle and no one had the time, and you still don't have the time because LIFEWTF and you're surely not going to ask five other people to carry you around just so you can get a stupid helmet.

So yeah. Easy aside from all that.

If you can play at 9 EDT I will personally invite you to the next VoG raid I schedule.

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 19:54 (2545 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

[/b]
[image]

If it was easy it wouldn't be Fun™! :D

I HAVE A POWERFUL NEED

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 21:54 (2545 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[/b]
[image]

If it was easy it wouldn't be Fun™! :D

There's a difference between challenge and fake challenge. Overcoming RNG is fake challenge.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread