A quick word on getting older (Off-Topic)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 02:26 (2528 days ago)

Guess how old I turn today?

It's crazy to think how much time has passed since I first heard listened to this podcast, and what's transpired therein. I moved to a different hemisphere (and back), "finished" high school, took a year to learn 3D Animation (turns out I'm not great at art), transitioned into learning how to program games, and was able to land a gig as a UI programmer at a major publisher on one of the most popular franchises in the world.

[image]

I didn't anticipate how fast your perception of time accelerates as you enter adulthood. The past decade is almost a complete blur in my mind, especially after I started working. Fortunately, I made a lot of new friends (especially around here) along the way :)

Luke Smith is now a project lead on the sequel to Bungie's biggest game ever. I wonder what I'll be doing when I "catch up" to him again?

P.S. Congrats on the -nearly- 40 years now, Marty ;)

Happy birthday! :D

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 03:22 (2528 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Happy birthday, old man

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 03, 2017, 04:28 (2528 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

A quick word on getting older

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 11:47 (2528 days ago) @ CyberKN

Hope you have a great one, Cyber! I'll be on tonight if you want to play. You name the activity.

Happy birthday, Cyber!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 12:04 (2528 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 12:51 (2528 days ago) @ CyberKN

[image]

Well, I can't un-see that O_o

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 14:46 (2528 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

The law says that you cannot touch…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 20:36 (2528 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

…but I think I see a lot of lawbreakers out here tonight.

The law says that you cannot touch…

by Toby Dillman, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 21:45 (2528 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Louis CK does a short bit about that scene, cracked me the hell up.

According to your avatar, you don't want it to stop. :P

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 21:22 (2528 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

According to your avatar, you don't want it to stop. :P

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 21:59 (2528 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

He's right you know.

ROFL

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 22:49 (2528 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Happy Birthday!! You feeling wiser yet?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 21:27 (2528 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Happy Birthday Cyber!

by TheeChaos @, Saturday, June 03, 2017, 23:00 (2528 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Sunday, June 04, 2017, 03:33 (2527 days ago) @ CyberKN

Yo! Happy birthday buddy!

Interesting note about time "zipping by" as you get older. Our brains tend to remember things as generalities, so if you have a lot of similar experiences (say, similar days at work), they all get lumped in as "generic day at work" in your brain. If you want your perception of time to slow down again, start adding new and different experiences into your life. I've recently shaken things up A LOT in my life this year, and I swear it's like i've lived more life in the last six months than in the previous six years (notable exceptions for the birth of a child and a few other choice moments).

The point is, if you do something different today, today will stand out as special in your memory. Do that every day, and you'll feel like you're experiencing life anew.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 16:00 (2521 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 16:05

Interesting note about time "zipping by" as you get older. Our brains tend to remember things as generalities, so if you have a lot of similar experiences (say, similar days at work), they all get lumped in as "generic day at work" in your brain. If you want your perception of time to slow down again, start adding new and different experiences into your life. I've recently shaken things up A LOT in my life this year, and I swear it's like i've lived more life in the last six months than in the previous six years (notable exceptions for the birth of a child and a few other choice moments).

The point is, if you do something different today, today will stand out as special in your memory. Do that every day, and you'll feel like you're experiencing life anew.

I can confirm this anecdotally. For me, the time that went by fastest was the four years in High School. This is perhaps because it was the most structured part of my life. Since moving to California 9 years ago, and having a career with different jobs at irregular times that often take me places, and having the opportunity to partake in tons of new hobbies and meet groups of people, it seems like a really distant memory to not be here. Older people would say 9 years is nothing… but thinking back it feels like an eternity.

I wonder if the fact that there aren't really any seasonal signifiers in Socal the way there are elsewhere, with autumn leaves and snow reminding you of the passage of time, affects time perception as well.

Strangely, a way to have the opposite feeling is to think about television or video games. When I think about playing Halo for the first time, that feels like yesterday even though it was 14 years ago. Or when I think about watching Lois and Clark on TV when it came out… it feels like no time has passed. I wonder why that is. Is it the difference between real and virtual experiences? I wonder if a bookworm would think time flew by, or a really avid hardcore gamer who plays for like 8 hours a day. Would Roger Ebert's life seem quick because he watched 8000 movies?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 21:36 (2521 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can confirm this anecdotally. For me, the time that went by fastest was the four years in High School. This is perhaps because it was the most structured part of my life. Since moving to California 9 years ago, and having a career with different jobs at irregular times that often take me places, and having the opportunity to partake in tons of new hobbies and meet groups of people, it seems like a really distant memory to not be here. Older people would say 9 years is nothing… but thinking back it feels like an eternity.

I wonder if the fact that there aren't really any seasonal signifiers in Socal the way there are elsewhere, with autumn leaves and snow reminding you of the passage of time, affects time perception as well.

Strangely, a way to have the opposite feeling is to think about television or video games. When I think about playing Halo for the first time, that feels like yesterday even though it was 14 years ago. Or when I think about watching Lois and Clark on TV when it came out… it feels like no time has passed. I wonder why that is. Is it the difference between real and virtual experiences? I wonder if a bookworm would think time flew by, or a really avid hardcore gamer who plays for like 8 hours a day. Would Roger Ebert's life seem quick because he watched 8000 movies?

Much depends on which movies. I know you played Halo before 2003.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 21:46 (2521 days ago) @ Kermit

2003 was the first year I played Halo. After they were bought by MS I wrote them off, remember?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 12, 2017, 02:25 (2519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

2003 was the first year I played Halo. After they were bought by MS I wrote them off, remember?

I have this vivid memory of watching a video of you speed running the Silent Cartographer. Guess that was later than I thought.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 12, 2017, 02:31 (2519 days ago) @ Kermit

I have this vivid memory of watching a video of you speed running the Silent Cartographer. Guess that was later than I thought.

Definitely not me. It was either VShields_Ash or Ducain.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 12, 2017, 10:05 (2519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or goatrope.

Happy belated b-day man!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, June 05, 2017, 13:19 (2526 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread