*OT* Apple dropping 32 Bit support from MacOS in future (Off-Topic)

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 12:21 (2524 days ago)

https://apple.slashdot.org/story/17/06/07/0538233/apple-to-phase-out-32-bit-mac-apps-starting-in-january-2018

Dang. I'm assuming this means Halo Mac will need to be run in an emulator going forward, if someone makes one.

This follows up from them dropping 32bit from iOS.

*OT* Apple dropping 32 Bit support from MacOS in future

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 13:16 (2524 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Dang. I'm assuming this means Halo Mac will need to be run in an emulator going forward, if someone makes one.

:-( . I wonder, can't we just dual boot into an older version of MacOs that supports 32-bit? Would running it in a virtual environment be a possibility too?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 14:09 (2524 days ago) @ dogcow

:-( . I wonder, can't we just dual boot into an older version of MacOs that supports 32-bit? Would running it in a virtual environment be a possibility too?

If your current Mac can run something Pre Sierra, then sure. My 2008 Mac Pro unfortunately cannot run Sierra, so it should be forever able to run 32 bit apps. Just keep a Yosemite or Sierra install on an external disk or partition.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 14:45 (2524 days ago) @ dogcow

I wonder, can't we just dual boot into an older version of MacOs that supports 32-bit?

Seems likely, until the point comes where those older OS versions don't run on the newest Macs.

Would running it in a virtual environment be a possibility too?

Maybe, although virtual machines don't always do so well with 3D graphics, at least in the environments I've used. I haven't done much with Mac-hosted stuff, though, so perhaps Parallels or something works?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 15:07 (2524 days ago) @ stabbim

I wonder, can't we just dual boot into an older version of MacOs that supports 32-bit?

Seems likely, until the point comes where those older OS versions don't run on the newest Macs.

Yeah, what I intended to say was, "I wonder how long we'll be able to dual boot into an older version of the OS."

Would running it in a virtual environment be a possibility too?

Maybe, although virtual machines don't always do so well with 3D graphics, at least in the environments I've used. I haven't done much with Mac-hosted stuff, though, so perhaps Parallels or something works?

Last time I tried playing a game in a VM (Parallels, VMWare, or Virtual Box? I don't recall) OpenGL was pretty much a no-go. That was years ago though, I wonder if they've improved things. Looking at Parallel's forums it looks as if they support OpenGL 2.1, maybe newer? I wonder how well it works... & what OpenGL version Halo Mac requires..

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 15:14 (2524 days ago) @ stabbim

Typically, you can't install anything that came out before the Mac was released. So if you have a mac NOW, you should be fine. I would have stayed with Mountain Lion forever, but freaking Adobe CC 2017 required Yosemite…

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 00:21 (2523 days ago) @ dogcow

This is how I still play Diablo 2. So yeah, this should certainly be possible.

I wonder how D2 will run on the iMac Pro?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 17:37 (2524 days ago) @ FyreWulff

- No text -

If I had to guess, as well as Halo ran on a Mac in 2001.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 18:21 (2523 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 19:33 (2523 days ago) @ Korny

That still hurts. ;-)

I don't remember what I ate for breakfast.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 20:09 (2523 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:39 (2523 days ago) @ Korny

Modern macs can boot into Windows, dude. But don't let me interrupt your habitual pissing in cornflakes.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 19:19 (2523 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by dogcow, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 19:25

Time will tell. We'll see the Vega GPU's arrive on PC video cards later this summer (July/August?). I wouldn't expect the performance to meet the GTX 1080 Ti, but my understanding is that these will be pretty high-end GPUs (compared to what Apple normally puts in their iMacs). I wouldn't be surprised if Apple underclocks them for thermal reasons.

tl;dr, I'm hopeful it will be pretty good, tho' I won't be getting one. :(

Edit: The REAL question (for me) is will either my old gaming PC or my old "work" computer @ home (MacPro) be able to handle D2. (MacPro gaming, yeah, I made a funny there).

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 20:13 (2523 days ago) @ dogcow

It's at least finally a real GPU in a mac in years.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:05 (2523 days ago) @ dogcow

Edit: The REAL question (for me) is will either my old gaming PC or my old "work" computer @ home (MacPro) be able to handle D2. (MacPro gaming, yeah, I made a funny there).

Mac Pro is fine for gaming. Graphics card is the biggest factor, but you can put just about anything in them if you want to do a bit of work, and there are good 'official' choices if you don't. And if you have a 2013 Mac Pro, you can do crossfire on the two GPUs.

Are you thinking of going PC with D2? You will have to wait as the PC launch is not happening in tandem with the consoles. Also, you know, there's the issue of people here crossing over. There should be a meeting or something between everyone so decisions can be properly made!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 08, 2017, 12:58 (2523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Mac Pro is fine for gaming. Graphics card is the biggest factor, but you can put just about anything in them if you want to do a bit of work, and there are good 'official' choices if you don't. And if you have a 2013 Mac Pro, you can do crossfire on the two GPUs.

Are you thinking of going PC with D2? You will have to wait as the PC launch is not happening in tandem with the consoles. Also, you know, there's the issue of people here crossing over. There should be a meeting or something between everyone so decisions can be properly made!

I will be playing it on PS4. No question about that. The question is for if (okay, when) I pick it up on PC 12-18 months later.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:37 (2523 days ago) @ dogcow
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:42

Time will tell. We'll see the Vega GPU's arrive on PC video cards later this summer (July/August?). I wouldn't expect the performance to meet the GTX 1080 Ti, but my understanding is that these will be pretty high-end GPUs (compared to what Apple normally puts in their iMacs). I wouldn't be surprised if Apple underclocks them for thermal reasons.

tl;dr, I'm hopeful it will be pretty good, tho' I won't be getting one. :(

For the record, I won't be getting one either unless I have a bout of insanity. The lack of cross-platform saves has virtually ruled out the non-console version of D2 for me.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:53 (2523 days ago) @ Kermit

For the record, I won't be getting one either unless I have a bout of insanity. The lack of cross-platform saves has virtually ruled out the non-console version of D2 for me.

I really wonder how long it will take before the PC version is a wasteland of cheaters, bots, and exploits.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 22:05 (2523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I really wonder how long it will take before the PC version is a wasteland of cheaters, bots, and exploits.

Yeah, there's that. Frankly, I'd just like to get a glimpse of the graphics in all their glory, but maybe it's best not to.

Beta.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 00:31 (2523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Ha.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 00:56 (2523 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 17:05 (2523 days ago) @ dogcow

From early benchmarking of the Vega it looks like it's actually about on par with the 1080 Ti. It has better raw processing power per processor, but fewer processors. That's the base Vega at least, there are 4 versions of it. Of course, all that doesn't matter if it doesn't have the same optimization as Nvidia cards do for games.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:02 (2523 days ago) @ Kermit

The screen is 5K.

That's all you need to know to avoid running games on it. That is a lot of pixels to push. Even if Metal is awesome.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread