The Bungie Podcast - June 2017 (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, June 09, 2017, 15:40 (2515 days ago)
edited by CyberKN, Friday, June 09, 2017, 15:45

WOOT!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, June 09, 2017, 16:00 (2515 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

TLDL?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 09, 2017, 17:41 (2515 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Summary

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, June 09, 2017, 18:01 (2515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

MeUndies doesn't want Guardian underwear to be a thing.

There's probably more, but I haven't made it past the intro. No way it's more important than the underwear thing, though.

-Disciple

Weird

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 21:22 (2514 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

MeUndies doesn't want Guardian underwear to be a thing

I only just learned what that is an hour ago, and now I'm hearing about it again. What an odd day.

TLDL?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 09, 2017, 18:12 (2515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Supposition: D2 will allow dual wielding side arms, 1 kinetic, 1 elemental.

Edit: they don't say or suggest that there will be dual wielding sidearms, there was just something they said that made me think there's a chance.

Freedom Slots

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 09, 2017, 18:15 (2515 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

TLDL?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 09, 2017, 18:23 (2515 days ago) @ dogcow

Edit: they don't say or suggest that there will be dual wielding sidearms, there was just something they said that made me think there's a chance.

That worked out great for Halo 2 :-/

TLDL?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 09, 2017, 18:36 (2515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That worked out great for Halo 2 :-/

Like I said, it's a supposition, who knows. This much I know, in some pre-alpha build you could run 2 sidearms, 1 kinetic slot, 1 elemental slot, no mention was made of dual wielding them. Why would you use that setup? I don't know, but Luke(?) said he had fun with it though (IIRC).

Regarding dual wielding in H2, IMHO, it was fun if you had the right 2 weapons in hand, but if you didn't & only had 1 it sucked, you were only 1/2 as powerful as someone who had 2. Could it be balanced in this day & age? I believe it could be, but you'd have to do something drastic to make it work, cut firing rates in 1/2 or absolutely destroy the accuracy of the weapons, or something icky like that.

TLDL?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 09, 2017, 19:19 (2515 days ago) @ dogcow

Regarding dual wielding in H2, IMHO, it was fun if you had the right 2 weapons in hand, but if you didn't & only had 1 it sucked, you were only 1/2 as powerful as someone who had 2. Could it be balanced in this day & age? I believe it could be, but you'd have to do something drastic to make it work, cut firing rates in 1/2 or absolutely destroy the accuracy of the weapons, or something icky like that.

The tradeoff in Halo 2 was ostensibly that you gave up grenades and melees, but that didn't really end up being balanced after all is said and done.

TLDL?

by electricpirate @, Friday, June 09, 2017, 19:38 (2515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The tradeoff in Halo 2 was ostensibly that you gave up grenades and melees, but that didn't really end up being balanced after all is said and done.

I mean, DW was pretty garbage after a few updates in H2. They actually tweaked *down* the damage of weapons while you DW them, so you got maybe 1.5x DPS instead of 2x dps, and no DW combos were any good at range.

Especially with BXR in play there wasn't a reason to DW.

Halo 3 got it a bit better, and you could situationally get some tactical advantage. I used to camp some corners with dual SMGs and chew guys down.

TLDL?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 09, 2017, 19:49 (2515 days ago) @ electricpirate

I mean, DW was pretty garbage after a few updates in H2. They actually tweaked *down* the damage of weapons while you DW them, so you got maybe 1.5x DPS instead of 2x dps, and no DW combos were any good at range.

Halo 3 got it a bit better, and you could situationally get some tactical advantage. I used to camp some corners with dual SMGs and chew guys down.

Early on, PP/Pistol was okay. And of course Dual Wielding plasma pistols could sometimes work if you stuck close to a buddy with a Battle Rifle.

TLDL?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 09, 2017, 20:07 (2515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Early on, PP/Pistol was okay. And of course Dual Wielding plasma pistols could sometimes work if you stuck close to a buddy with a Battle Rifle.

I still enjoy running around w/ dual maulers in H3... just for the funz of it.

Weapon slot changes.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 09, 2017, 20:18 (2515 days ago) @ CyberKN

Their discussion really sold me on the new system. I wanna rock two side arms and a shotgun and just wade in.

Weapon slot changes.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, June 09, 2017, 21:14 (2515 days ago) @ cheapLEY

10 shot hand cannon + 10 shot hand cannon = 20 shots without reloading.

Weapon slot changes.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 09, 2017, 21:18 (2515 days ago) @ bluerunner

let the meta breaking begin!

Weapon slot changes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 09, 2017, 21:32 (2515 days ago) @ bluerunner

What about backpack reloading?

Weapon slot changes.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, June 09, 2017, 22:00 (2515 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What about backpack reloading?

I wonder if cocoon perk is returning. It would be very useful with two primaries.

Weapon slot changes.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 09, 2017, 22:28 (2515 days ago) @ bluerunner

I wonder if cocoon perk is returning. It would be very useful with two primaries.

I don't know if it's called cocoon in D2, but it was on one of the guns in the gameplay at the D2 reveal event. It even had the same icon.

It's on the "Retrofuturist" in that build

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 09, 2017, 22:34 (2515 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

Weapon slot changes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 09, 2017, 23:06 (2515 days ago) @ Xenos

I don't know if it's called cocoon in D2, but it was on one of the guns in the gameplay at the D2 reveal event. It even had the same icon.

This could be a very very good perk if 'short time' is less than the time it takes to empty a clip. Magazine. Whatever, I'm not a gun person.

Weapon slot changes.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 17:39 (2514 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This could be a very very good perk if 'short time' is less than the time it takes to empty a clip. Magazine. Whatever, I'm not a gun person.

[image]

Weapon slot changes.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 20:28 (2514 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Addendum:
Magazines feed rounds into a firing position.
Clips feed rounds into a magazine.

I remain skeptical

by electricpirate @, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 00:03 (2515 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Their discussion really sold me on the new system. I wanna rock two side arms and a shotgun and just wade in.

I liked that part of it, but I really fear the builds are going to feel really samey.

Primaries in D1 ended up all being very similar. Outside of some very long range for scouts, and some very tight range for ARs, they all basically worked in this very narrow band. They also all had this very similar kind of damage pattern in PVE, where they would all kind of wear down enemies at the same rate. The introduction of those secondaries with big damage spikes really made the whole system work well.

I'm worried about PVE combat feeling kind of mushy in the end without those big damage spikes to deliver to the large scale enemies. Now, they do mention that the "power" weapon slot is still being tweaked, but I'm worried that there will be a *lot* of builds, but not a lot daylight between any of them.

I'll approach with an open mind once it's in my hands, but I'm not thrilled about the change.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 00:18 (2515 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

I remain skeptical

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 16:45 (2514 days ago) @ electricpirate

I liked that part of it, but I really fear the builds are going to feel really samey.

Primaries in D1 ended up all being very similar. Outside of some very long range for scouts, and some very tight range for ARs, they all basically worked in this very narrow band. They also all had this very similar kind of damage pattern in PVE, where they would all kind of wear down enemies at the same rate. The introduction of those secondaries with big damage spikes really made the whole system work well.

I'm worried about PVE combat feeling kind of mushy in the end without those big damage spikes to deliver to the large scale enemies. Now, they do mention that the "power" weapon slot is still being tweaked, but I'm worried that there will be a *lot* of builds, but not a lot daylight between any of them.

I'll approach with an open mind once it's in my hands, but I'm not thrilled about the change.

Datto also has mentioned something similar (Here), and I agree with his points and yours. PvE is my thing man! And I... Uh oh... I feel a story com'n on! Bett'a get in my rock'n cha'r! :P

One of my fondest vanilla Destiny memories is when I finally found my groove with a set of kit (which I still have in my vault). The primary A.1F19X-RYL with final round, armor piercing rounds, and firefly, was for the main bulk. It was fun because it hit hard for the time and, shoot, what more do I need to say when firefly is in the mix. Then there was the fusion rifle called Light/Beware. It was for foes who had gained my ire, and this being vanilla Destiny, it's safe to say there much reason to beware this guns light. An arc weapon, it had performance bonus, where kills had a chance to grant bonus ammo. It also had hammer forged and life support. This sucker got me out of alot of jams in vanilla Destiny, before the dark times. Before the empir-er... I mean the nerf. ;_;

Then to round things off, to help fight off the bullet sponges, there was The Swarm. A void machine gun, with spray and play, field scout, and crowd control. Also to close up the story, Why vanilla? Why not some other point in the three years? "You always remember your first", as well as - if my recollection is correct - there was the most variation during vanilla destiny (even if shotguns were a waste of a slot at that time). I don't know why I recall it that way through.

Anyway... for me these three weapons are worth legend. Each had their own style of play, their own silhouette of play - if you will, that helped keep things varied. Now that all the interesting guns are behind a "heavy" barrier, I wonder how Bungie is going to make the primary weapons interesting. Firefly only goes so far, for example.

This new system even brings exotics to question, in my ignorance. Primary exotics now have a lot more sway in my thought experiment, as they switch up the game play. You get to use only one slot anyway, so why not make the one slot more interesting.

I remain skeptical

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 16:50 (2514 days ago) @ electricpirate

The introduction of those secondaries with big damage spikes really made the whole system work well.

Except for maybe raids. Pretty much every boss ended up being:

1. Make them vulnerable.
2. Wail on them with snipers or heavy weapons until they are no longer vulnerable.
3. Repeat.

When you can do massive damage in a short amount of time, making raid bosses that don't work this way can be tough. It definitely started to show its age a bit during Wrath of the Machine. This is also what made Skolas one of the more interesting bosses once the burn issue was fixed - you could damage him at any time.

I remain skeptical

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 17:38 (2514 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I haven't done Wrath of the Machine yet, but Skolas is still my favorite battle in Destiny. Figuring out raid encounters stands alone as the pinnacle of the game, but Skolas was a much more fun repeatable encounter.

I remain skeptical

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 12, 2017, 15:00 (2512 days ago) @ electricpirate

I keep thinking about this, and the more I do, the less I think I'll enjoy it (I really should just STOP thinking about it until I play the game and actually see what it's like, lol).

The thing that confuses me about the whole idea behind "freedom slots", as it was described on the podcast, is that they talk about adding variety while completely ignoring the (seemingly) greater variety that is being taken away. Yes, being able to run with a hand cannon and a scout rifle at the same time gives you some flexibility. But not as much flexibility as running Hand Cannon + Sniper Rifle, or Scout Rifle + Shotgun, or any of the current possible combinations.

Then there's the whole issue of "opportunity costs". Forcing players to choose between using a sniper rifle or using a heavy machine gun is a huge limiting factor. Imagine trying to get through the toughest encounters in Destiny right now with such limitations in place (it can be kind of fun once in a while, after you've already mastered the encounters and you're looking for even more challenge... but not all the time).

And John on the Podcast seems to acknowledge this. He said something about your choice of power weapon forcing you to commit to more defined role within your fireteam. Which can work in some cases, but Destiny 1 certainly doesn't play in a way that rewards that sort of specialization. Most of the more challenging encounters in the game require players to do a little bit of everything.

I'll be very interested to see how the power weapon dynamic shakes out, especially towards the end game. If the bosses are as bullet-spongy as Destiny's bosses tend to be, we might see certain classes of power weapons drastically out perform others.

I remain skeptical

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 12, 2017, 15:30 (2512 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'll be very interested to see how the power weapon dynamic shakes out, especially towards the end game. If the bosses are as bullet-spongy as Destiny's bosses tend to be, we might see certain classes of power weapons drastically out perform others.

Unless there are different uses for the power weapons. Maybe grenade launchers are needed to clear out ads, while other people snipe the boss, and over in the corner someone is using a fusion rifle to drop shields so the guy with the sword can take out that major.

The only way this can work is if it's too dangerous for everyone on the team to be sniping the boss at the same time. The raid will reveal how well this change works.

I remain skeptical

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, June 12, 2017, 15:36 (2512 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Unless there are different uses for the power weapons. Maybe grenade launchers are needed to clear out ads, while other people snipe the boss, and over in the corner someone is using a fusion rifle to drop shields so the guy with the sword can take out that major.

The only way this can work is if it's too dangerous for everyone on the team to be sniping the boss at the same time. The raid will reveal how well this change works.

One would hope it doesn't take the raid for us to reveal how well this works. I can be optimistic about the weapon changes :D

Urk, Deej, future podcast request.

by electricpirate @, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 00:07 (2515 days ago) @ CyberKN

Can you guys up the volume of the audio mix? I could barely hear it over the chug of the subway this afternoon.

Was Newsk loud enough?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 02:34 (2515 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by Pyromancy, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 02:46

Was Newsk loud enough? He was up on the mic real close and sounded a bit louder (good and strong) to my ear. He also helped inspire Urk's tweet about getting some pop filters, I think? He had a few sharp or harsher sounding plosives.

Which device and peripheral (headphones) were you using to listen (your environement was a significant issue you already identified) Stepping back and looking at your set up can help alot in determining things

Was Newsk loud enough?

by electricpirate @, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 12:25 (2514 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Was Newsk loud enough? He was up on the mic real close and sounded a bit louder (good and strong) to my ear. He also helped inspire Urk's tweet about getting some pop filters, I think? He had a few sharp or harsher sounding plosives.

Which device and peripheral (headphones) were you using to listen (your environement was a significant issue you already identified) Stepping back and looking at your set up can help alot in determining things

Newsk was a bit better, Luke was barely audible.

Iphone 6s with the default headphones.

Other podcasts I listened to were fine. I switched over to the the Weeds podcast and I could hear that one just fine.

Not just you.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 12:38 (2514 days ago) @ electricpirate

Volume was low for me as well (om Android). I was listening through my car's Bluetooth connection and had to turn the volume way up, which resulted in a deafening blast of sound every time Waze interrupted with a traffic alert. :P

Not just you.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 17:43 (2514 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

On my macbook pro I had the volume turned all the way up and they were a quiet, conversational level. I listen to most movies with the volume at about 20%, for comparison.

Urk and Deej, if you read this, try to balance so your gain rests between -20 and -8 dB. Don't peak above -4 and don't trough below -26 except in cases of silence (dur).

Not just you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 20:19 (2514 days ago) @ Kahzgul

On my macbook pro I had the volume turned all the way up and they were a quiet, conversational level. I listen to most movies with the volume at about 20%, for comparison.

Urk and Deej, if you read this, try to balance so your gain rests between -20 and -8 dB. Don't peak above -4 and don't trough below -26 except in cases of silence (dur).

For a podcast, just compress everything (in the dynamic range sense) and set it to -6. This isn't an orchestral rendition or epic film; your suggestion is already too much range for a podcast. Most compressor filters have settings for voice content.

For Android, Poweramp is a handy application

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 04:26 (2513 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 04:49

Volume was low for me as well (om Android). I was listening through my car's Bluetooth connection and had to turn the volume way up, which resulted in a deafening blast of sound every time Waze interrupted with a traffic alert. :P

For the Android ecosystem, Poweramp is a handy application (note: Russian developer? Some open-ish permissions?).
You should be able to bump the gain up, and it also has a rudimentary EQ (from what I can recall years ago)

I did the direct download mp3 from Bnet link to my Android phone and used the standard music player for my device. I had the volume at around 65-70% and was fine. Quiet room, 3.5mm wired closed ear headphones. I just played a song (music, ambient rock), at the same volume and had to turn the volume to about 50% for a similar sounding (comfortable) volume.

I didn't really have a problem in my case but yes, the Podcast could maybe use a boost or volume standardization to put it in line with music or other podcasts?
Streaming, Bluetooth, loud environment, iTunes settings, etc I could see all being potentially problematic

I have a free Poweramp unlocker APK they gave me once.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 14:18 (2513 days ago) @ Pyromancy

If anyone wants it. I don't use the program, and I got it for being a podcast guest on some Android website back in 2010.

That said, for podcasts on my phone, I use beyondpod, which has the option of being used for podcast and playlist management, that plays the MP3 through an external player. When I have to use a preamp, I do this and send it through a different program. It will work through poweramp, though, and you don't have to download the MP3 from the website, you can just use their podcatcher.

Beyondpod costs like $7 though.

I'm like Luke ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 12, 2017, 14:44 (2512 days ago) @ CyberKN

in terms of horror. I can watch certain movies in the genre and appreciate them (The Witch and Get Out were amazing), but I'm a big wuss, and you couldn't pay me enough to play something like Alien Isolation or Resident Evil (in VR or not).

I've never even played the shark cage PSVR thingie myself, although I've gotten a kick out of watching others play it.

For now I'm assured that D2 won't go too far in the horror direction.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread